Author Topic: Mech of the Week - Operation Revival OmniMech's - The Adder/Puma.  (Read 12807 times)

marauder648

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • Project Zhukov Fan AU TRO's and PDFs
Adder/Puma Aka My Fire Support Mech is giving supporting fire!

Now I’ll say this off the bat, I’m not really a fan of the Adder, to me it’s a short, squat and square missed opportunity, but it’s a Mech with a history and saw extensive use in the build up to Operation Revival and in Revival itself as well as being a common sight afterwards.  So without further adieu…the Adder/Puma.

History and development

The Adder is actually designed with anti-Inner Sphere tactics in mind, developed with insight from the Wolfs Dragoons the Scientists of Clan Star Adder developed the Adder based on reports of what weapons were often used in the Inner Sphere and relied on the more powerful Clan weapons to outperform them (which of course they do.) 
Designed round a long range engagement paradigm the Adder is built from the ground up to engage enemy Mech’s at extreme range and simply take them apart and has a surprisingly heavy throw weight for a machine its size with weapons varying from large LRM racks to lasers and of course the feared ER PPC.

Like other Clan light Mech’s the Adder makes full use of weight saving technology with an Endo Steel skeleton as well as an XL engine and Ferro Fibrous plate protection, a meaty 6 tonnes of armour giving the Adder near full protection save a few points on its legs.  Also for a Clan light it follows the Kit Fox’s example and keeps the engine rather small, this has the side effect of reducing the machine’s speed but it does save even more weight.  Curiously the Adder features very very little in the way of fixed items where as many Clan Mech’s in Operation Revival often featured fixed heatsinks or other systems in some cases to their severe detriment, the most often culprit being severe over-sinking Mr Gargoyle and Executioner Prime I am talking about you here....

Although the Adder does not fully escape this as the Adder does have a single fixed weapon, buried under the chin is a flame thrower, whilst of little use against Mech’s it does give the Adder the ability to annihilate infantry that get too close as well as start fires if needed.

The 210 rated engine pushes the Adder along at a rather modest (for a light) 97kph at full sprint, and something tells me that thanks to its low slung design the Adder is a damn bumpy ride. No jump jets are fitted on any of the variants and it took a significant redesign of the Chassis to produce a new machine the Pouncer to make the Adder jump capable.  This means the Mech moves at 6/9/0 in game terms which for lights is rather slow, but then you have to consider what this machine was designed to fight. 

The Adder was not built to engage light Mech’s it was built with an eye to engaging the most common Mech’s in the Inner Sphere, the medium class machines and in this regard its slightly faster than them and thanks to its weapons, outguns most of them.  The Adder is no scout or harasser, it’s a hunter-killer and it was this Mech’s firepower that made it a feared threat as it outgunned some machines twice its weight and did so with ease.

In terms of protection the Adder is no slouch and packs heavy protection onto its squat frame.  The legs can take a pair of Clan ER Medium laser hits whilst the arms and side torso positions can withstand an AC-10 hit and single SRM before going internal. The chest can take a pair of large laser hits or withstand a gauss slug with a tiny layer of protection remaining. 

Variants

Prime – The one that got people scared with a case of ‘Wait..its got WHAT guns…t-two of them!’ the Prime is the Adder poster boy.  Armed with a pair of ER PPC’s which are linked into a targeting computer with the final tonnage taken up by an extra double heatsink and that’s it.  Two of the most fearsome guns there is tied into a targeting computer give this little Mech a HUGE bite but its one that can be rarely used.  Even if you stand still a double ER PPC shot puts you 8 heat over and movement brings that up to a solid 10 heat. 
Firing a single PPC the next turn still has you at 23 heat if you didn’t move and 25 if you did, meaning you’re still overheating .  This heat issue (one that blighted many 3050 Clan designs) means that in really you can’t use the other PPC that often and it turns into 6 tonnes of back up weapon if you lose the other gun.   

Alfa – Copying the Prime’s simple weapons fit the Alfa is a fire support unit like the Prime but instead of direct energy weapons it features a pair of LRM-20’s, one in each arm with each launcher drinking from a 2 tonne bin of ammo giving it longer engagement capabilities than many Clan Mech’s that are armed with LRM-20’s. 

For point defence and anti-infantry work a pair of small pulse lasers round out the armament, making this machine capable at long and very short ranges and thanks to the lack of a minimum range the LRM’s are still dangerous at point blank range.  This is a nasty unit, it pumps out a LOT of missiles and is fast enough to avoid the usual hunter killers that go after LRM boats, its also very cool running, you need to take an engine hit before you start worrying about heat from Alpha strikes.

Bravo – More a nod to the Kit Fox Prime the Beta features a more diverse weapons fit but it is still designed to reach out and tear your throat out at long range.  To this end it is armed with an LB-X 5 Autocannon and a Large Pulse Laser, supported by a pair of ER Medium Lasers.  The big guns sit in opposite arms whilst the Mediums live in the side torso’s but unfortunately the autocannon only has a single tonne of ammo, forcing you to choose between slug and cluster rounds.  Personally I’d take cluster rounds for their versatility whilst relying on the pulse laser to rip holes in a target.

Charlie – Possibly a field refit of an Alfa that was seen as successful the Charlie is another missile support unit with a slightly different twist to it.  A pair of LRM-15’s provide the main punch, arm mounted like the Alfa the weight saved with the downgrade of the launchers is put into a NARC launcher nestled in the right torso with a single tonne of ammo.  The two defensive Small pulse lasers were removed and a single Medium Pulse put into the left torso in their place.

The Narc beacon of course greatly increases the number of missiles hitting but the launchers short range and limited ammo mean you have to get close in your fire support unit, probably not the best idea really.  Could it be the NARC was installed more as a deterrent a ‘come close and I get more accurate, keep away!’ it’s a theory I know but it does make sense in a weird Clan way.

Delta – This will feel familiar…the Delta is an alteration of the Bravo or again, a nod to the Kit Fox Prime in its weapons choice.  An ER Large Laser and Ultra AC-5 make the machines primary armament with the AC drawing from a rather limited 1 tonne ammo bin.  The secondary armament is a pair of SSRM-2 launchers, each with their own tonne of ammo giving them massive amounts of ammo.  Now this could be a holdover from the day when SSRM-2’s could fire inferno missiles but the extra tonne of ammo is better served as UAC ammo as 20 shots is not really enough for a double rate of fire.

Echo – New toy time!  The Adder E is again part of the Alfa/Charlie brotherhood in that it’s a missile boat, except this time the missiles are a pair of ATM-9’s with 2 tonnes of ammo per launcher.  The defensive armament is once again changed and is changed to a quartet of Micro-Pulse lasers for anti-infantry mulching.  The Echo’s ATM’s give it a dangerous close in punch but it lacks the mobility to fully use the HE rounds so ammo choice is up to you, but I’d possibly only take a single tonne of HE and ER ammo and 2 tonnes of standard rounds.

Hotel – It’s a Clan Omni H version, you know what that means…Heavy Laser time!  This is probably the only variant that is purpose built for getting in close and for this the designers took a Prime and ripped out the ER PPC’s and in their place went two Heavy Large Lasers.  The weight difference is then made up with an extra six double heatsinks to try and control the brutal heat of the lasers.  Oh and the targeting computer and flamer are still there.  Whilst a full alpha strike’s heat is a brutal 36 heat you can then vent 32 of it without moving, so if you are willing to get close to use the lasers, feel free to use both without too much risk.  Unless you’re on the receiving end of those guns…then Kerensky help you!

Juliet – The latest and most current version of the Adder to me screamed loudly that it was a Jade Falcon creation, but despite this it’s actually a Hells Horses machine and is a big change from the other Puma variants.  The Juliet features a single heavy weapon in the form of a HAG-20 with a generous three tonnes of ammo whilst its supporting weapons come in the form of a quartet of AP Gauss Rifles with a tonne of ammo shared between the four guns.  Whilst lacking a solid direct punch the J is more akin to the missile boat variants that dot the Adder’s variant history, it’s a sandblaster and the APGR’s can make a mess of Mech’s and infantry alike and the HAG does horrific things to tanks as well as acting as a long range flak gun. 

Thoughts

The Adder is a bit of an odd design that seems to have been designed to take the most of the technical advantages that Clan weapons offer over their Inner Sphere counterparts.  It’s not really a gunboat design and is almost always a fire support/barrage unit that would work well as part of a fire support star.  The Prime is a hunter/killer able to disable Mech’s far larger than itself especially with a good gunner at the helm.   Unlike many Revival Era machines the Adder is for the most part a fairly cool running Mech save the Prime and they can make the most of their firepower where as other Clan Mech’s tended to have more guns than heatsinks and common sense.  In this way with its firepower and rather low speed (for its weight class) the Puma to me at least feels like it is a medium Mech that was trimmed down and put on the Slim Fast Plan.  Whilst it could draw its inspiration for its design from old SLDF Mech’s like the Night Hawk or Talon the Adder is still very much a Clan machine.

Fighting one can be tricky,  most Mech’s capable of outrunning it are outgunned and those that out gun it are often out run.  Still it is only a light Mech and a few good solid hits will see it disabled.  The Adder still packs a heavy punch though and whilst its not overly fast, its punch and habit of long range weapons maximises the advantages of Clan weapons over their Inner Sphere counterparts.

My dislike of the Puma comes really that its basically a Kit Fox that’s piled on a few pounds and got a more rational armament fix…well..kinda…well there’s not one dripping with AMS’s so that’s a plus!  It’s a slow Light with a lot of firepower .  It could have been more interesting if they’d made it a 7/11 or a jumper or something.  Instead its an over gunned light that simply can’t withstand the fire that gets directed at it due to the risk of its guns.   
Oh and save the latest versions with new toys, the configs are INCREDIBLY samey.

http://www.sarna.net/wiki/images/b/bc/3050U_Adder.jpg

http://orig13.deviantart.net/c00b/f/2009/112/a/a/mechwarrior_4_puma_front_view_by_mecha_master.jpg

As always thoughts, comments and fruit throwing is most welcome.
« Last Edit: 07 September 2015, 03:46:14 by marauder648 »
Ghost Bears: Cute and cuddly. Until you remember its a BLOODY BEAR!

Project Zhukov Fan AU TRO's and PDFs - https://thezhukovau.wordpress.com/

Grey

• Warrant Officer
Re: Mech of the Week - Operation Revival OmniMech's - The Adder/Puma.
« Reply #1 on: 07 September 2015, 03:52:12 »
In all fairness most of the ATM, Heavy Laser and HAG variants of the original Clan Omnis are a bit samey.

Still, in general I agree with your assessment, the Adder is a hunter/killer for light and most medium Mechs, it's speed is mediocre and heat curve is brutal.

And yet I like this thing, you compare it unfavourably to the Kit Fox which does have better and more creative configurations, but I find the Adder to be slightly more forgiving and survivable. The Stormcrow outperforms both with the same movement, but if tonnage is a factor I'll readily turn to the Adder.

Some of the configurations require more finesse than others, but the B and D make solid troopers in my experience, and the A is classic fire support.

Good article, well balanced, particularly with your bias, and everyone has a bias.

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • It's just my goth phase
« Reply #2 on: 07 September 2015, 12:18:55 »
The H variant is one of the best heavy laser configurations of any of the original 3050 mechs.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

Maingunnery

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Pirates and C3 masters are on the hitlist
« Reply #3 on: 07 September 2015, 14:39:56 »

The config that I have used the most is the E. And I found it to be effective in scenarios with limited LOS (urban combat) and in situations that require plinking (extreme range harassment).

In general we can see the Adder as a cheap Stormcrow. 
Herb: "Well, now I guess we'll HAVE to print it. Sounds almost like the apocalypse I've been working for...."

The Society:Fan XTRO & Field Manual
Nebula California: HyperTube Xtreme
Nebula Confederation Ships

GreekFire

• Aeternus Ignis
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
« Reply #4 on: 07 September 2015, 16:44:12 »
The H variant is one of the best heavy laser configurations of any of the original 3050 mechs.

QFT. I've found that most people tend to simply dismiss it as an inferior variant of the Prime. That's not true at all; it works extremely well even when following a 2-2-1 firing pattern with both guns - something that's more or less impossible with the Prime. Its a very dangerous mugger that I find many players underestimate, and having it cost 600 BV less than the original is simply the icing on the cake.

The other Adders have never really grown on me. The only exception might be the E; it's fun in its own way and is a pretty potent partner for that H that I love.
Tu habites au Québec? Tu veux jouer au BattleTech? Envoie-moi un message!

Nahuris

• Captain
« Reply #5 on: 07 September 2015, 17:22:24 »
I must be rare, in that I actually like the Prime -- but I also use it differently --- early in a fight, I pick an enemy light or medium, and I pop it with the PPC --- and keep out to the flank -- if they go for it, and come for me, I play pop and hide, if they don't or they break Zell, and give me open field shooting, I then use it to provide that extra 15 damage that makes things miserable. The double PPC is used to finish an opponent, or to put a solid hurt on something, in a time of emergency.

Nahuris
"A friend will calm you down when you are angry, but a BEST friend will skip along beside you with a baseball bat singing "someone's gonna get it."

"If we are ever in a situation, where I am the voice of reason, we are in a very bad situation."

Kidd

• Major
« Reply #6 on: 07 September 2015, 17:29:49 »
One Mech which should definitely have the Low Profile quirk, it was a daring choice in MW4 Mercs for online play as it could truly be hard to spot especially in water!

Fat Guy

• Major
  • I make beer disappear. What's your superpower?
« Reply #7 on: 07 September 2015, 17:51:19 »
Fun fact: the Cougar, which premiered  in the original Mechcommander PC game was supposed to be the Puma. However in the game's view from above it resembled nothing more than a rectangle with arms. So the designers removed the Puma's "hood" and rechristened it the Cougar.
I have spoken.

Grey

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #8 on: 07 September 2015, 21:50:21 »
Actually, I remember why I have a soft spot for it now, my first game, first weapon fired, first roll was an Adder Prime's PPC connecting with a Mauler's head at range. ;D

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #9 on: 08 September 2015, 00:00:59 »
Fun fact: the Cougar, which premiered  in the original Mechcommander PC game was supposed to be the Puma. However in the game's view from above it resembled nothing more than a rectangle with arms. So the designers removed the Puma's "hood" and rechristened it the Cougar.

Actually, the Cougar debuted in the Battle of Coventry sourcebook, which was released 2 years before MechCommander (1996 vs 1998).

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

marauder648

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #10 on: 08 September 2015, 01:13:22 »
I didn't know that about the Puma/Cougar, interesting :) And yeah I can see why they'd do it, my boyfriend said the Puma looked like an angry computer desk with arms and legs :p

And i'd not say its a poor man's Kit Fox, if anything its just..well more the same, a slow, heavily gunned light.  Its a Kit Fox with more protection and less varied weapons fits, hell two of its variants are just different flavours of Kit Fox Prime's. 

Its a good and potent mech, but its boring.  I'd have made it a 7/11 harasser type perhaps with jump jets  unit so its not just an up armoured Kit Fox.
« Last Edit: 08 September 2015, 01:23:45 by marauder648 »

SteelRaven

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Fight for something or Die for nothing
    • The Steel-Raven at DeviantArt
« Reply #11 on: 08 September 2015, 01:22:25 »
Yeah, I use to call the Puma a shed with guns. The MWO model does make the Puma look more the part it plays as a hunter/killer.  The Pouncer does the same job better but it wouldn't exist without the Adder.
Battletech Art and Commissions
http://steel-raven.deviantart.com

marauder648

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #12 on: 08 September 2015, 01:28:39 »
Indeed and the Pouncer looks oddly cute with its ball cockpit :)  And I'm all for the MWO designs for the mechs, whilst I like the original artwork for a lot of the designs i'm not really a fan of the 3025 stuff when you stand it next to the modern artwork for the same mechs.  Its the same with work by Plog and the more recent artists, I'm sorry but thats just way better than the old stuff which looks VERY 1980's. 

I have had success with the Puma and i've never had any issues with it, save that its just a bit dull really.  I think its got a very good intimidation factor because of the feared firepower that it can throw down range but its just..well...dull, even if it is a good looker :)

phoenixalpha

• Warrant Officer
  • For God, Prince Davion & the Federated Suns
« Reply #13 on: 08 September 2015, 01:29:57 »
I *really* like the Adder. It was back in Clan Invasion days a complete terror. Against 3025 mechs it was godlike. It moved half as fast again than most 3025 heavies and had similar firepower to top end 3025 heavies (Marauder/Warhammer/Archer). Putting it against IS mediums was like overkill.

Alexander Knight

• Peditum Generalis
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
  • O-R-E-O
« Reply #14 on: 08 September 2015, 03:55:49 »
My first exposure to the Puma was also my first exposure to Clan LRMs.  Single combat between my WLF-2 Wolfhound and a Puma A..I darted in close to get under the LRM minimums..and then the GM told me:  "Clan LRMs don't have minimums."

....I made him click dry to kill me though.  ^-^

cold1

• Major
  • Goon
« Reply #15 on: 08 September 2015, 09:42:55 »
It's the light mech Clan Star Adder needed.  I'd note that it was designed by its namesake with the intent of being a slower, up gunned, and up armed light mech.  The Adders are known for preferring lights and mediums that exchange speed for guns and armor so it fits the bill.  It's no surprise that it was designed by the pragmatic Adders to fight the Inner Sphere, and not a surprise that Clan Wolf took a liking to it for that reason.

In the invasion era Adders ate IS mediums.  The 55 ton trio was toast against one.  I used the A a lot to make Griffins feel inadequate.  In more modern times I like the H for the reasons stated.  It's tough enough and fast enough to survive into short range and let loose with the heavies.  Anything in he game is going to feel the sting from that thing.  I like to keep the H in formation in the rear and wait for back stabbers to try and get behind my forward units.  Stick a fast mech behind my heavies to back stab with ML's?  That's cool, it's probably dead.

To the patient go the spoils

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
« Reply #16 on: 09 September 2015, 02:39:17 »
Yeah, if I am running an Adder with a Wolf force, its a B or D- depending on if I need a shotgun or not & what sort of speed I expect.  Its just that good and in a world of mostly medium IS mechs it works out well.  Sure it cannot take much damage if it runs into a heavy (its a light, duh), but most the ones that can really put some hurt on it (4/6'ers) it can easily outrun.

"Wait here, my friend the Timberwolf is right over that hill."

Those that can catch it?  Probably not too much better armored, and remember the pilots it will (or should) mostly face are 4/5 Inner Sphere regulars . . . which it out ranges for the most part, still probably faster, and can outshoot.  As someone did say, it can be a good screen mech to keep flankers from getting in behind the spear- the cLPL tends to keep things like Spiders and other bugs away.
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

Savage Coyote

• CamoSpecs
  • Captain
  • 저는 미술 선생님 입니다.
« Reply #17 on: 09 September 2015, 11:11:03 »
B or D are my bread and butter for Coyote or Wolves of any era when you can use it.  Cheapish BV but giving you a Wolfhound feel in weapons and fighting style.  I usually LIKE it when someone takes the Prime against me because i get a BV break and he gets a very nervous need to watch his heat.  It does have it's uses of course but man, you pay for it.

As for the Kit Fox comments, no, the Kit Fox is just not something I'd ever want to willingly field.  Sorry Falcons.  That armor...

Nahuris

• Captain
« Reply #18 on: 09 September 2015, 16:12:59 »
Against other Clan forces, I look at variants --- but against IS -- the psychological fear of twin head cappers with a targeting computer makes them do all kinds of "odd" things. I'll even remind them by referring to it as my Puma or Adder Prime, with a slight stress on the word Prime.

Nahuris

"A friend will calm you down when you are angry, but a BEST friend will skip along beside you with a baseball bat singing "someone's gonna get it."

"If we are ever in a situation, where I am the voice of reason, we are in a very bad situation."

Fat Guy

• Major
  • I make beer disappear. What's your superpower?
« Reply #19 on: 09 September 2015, 22:00:26 »
Actually, the Cougar debuted in the Battle of Coventry sourcebook, which was released 2 years before MechCommander (1996 vs 1998).

And notice it's picture was the same CG one that was later in the Mechcommander game manual.

It was conceived for the PC game, but got previewed in the scenario pack.

Likewise, the Nova Cat was conceived for Mechcommander Desperate Measures but was previewed in TRO:3060.
I have spoken.

Scotty

• Alpha Strike Guru by appointment to the FWLM
  • Catalyst Demo Team
  • Colonel
« Reply #20 on: 09 September 2015, 22:07:18 »
I, uh, really doubt that the order of events you've got there is correct.  Unless you've got some significantly more compelling evidence than "but the pictures are the same", that's a pretty big leap to make.
Catalyst Demo Agent #679

Kansas City players, or people who are just passing through the area, come join us at the Geekery just off Shawnee Mission Parkway for BattleTech!  Current days are Tuesdays in the afternoon and evening.  I can't make every single week, but odds are pretty good that somebody will be there.

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #21 on: 09 September 2015, 23:12:55 »
It's honestly off-topic, too.  I'd be happy to continue the discussion of someone wants to start a MotW article about the Cougar (or resurrect an existing one, if it exists).

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • The Temple Grounds - My Roleplaying and History website
« Reply #22 on: 10 September 2015, 00:12:56 »
The official fluff says the Adder was designed to emulate Inner Sphere mech weapon loadouts. this suggests that it was originally envisioned as a OpFor unit to train warriors in fighting against Inner Sphere forces. While it clearly does not look much like IS units, it's original weapons loads do a fair job.

the Prime is a good stand in for the twin PPC mechs using during the succession wars. like marauders and Warhammers. it lacks the backup guns of those mechs, but the PPC's are the main power on them. and if you drop the targeting computer you could mount a coupel medium lasers, making them even closer.

the Alpha is the Archer. no question. big LRm's with lasers close up. also does a fair job go replicating a Whitworth and trebuchet.

The Beta does a good job replicating the weapons loads of units like the Enforcer, and can also stand in for designs like the Marauder as well. (especially the davion and marik ones). it also elicits some similarity to the Rifleman.

the Charlie and Delta configs i'm not so sure about.

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #23 on: 10 September 2015, 00:28:06 »
The D could be a Wolverine or Shadowhawk.  Got no idea about the C, since it's built around the NARC launcher.  Maybe it started as a pilot modification of the A?

cold1

• Major
  • Goon
« Reply #24 on: 10 September 2015, 11:10:01 »
It does make sense that the clan that trained to be the Clan's opfor would design a mech that looks like an opfor mech???? Right

To the patient go the spoils

iamfanboy

• Captain
« Reply #25 on: 10 September 2015, 19:06:51 »
If there are winners and losers in the conversion to Alpha Strike, I'd say that the Adder comes off as a loser. Unlike some designs that don't convert well because they're bad to start with (go to hell, Kit Fox and Hellbringer!), the Adder is a serviceable design in Total Warfare but a bit pants in AS.

Why? It's the comparison to other Clan designs. While the Adder has a similar damage profile and armor/structure amount to other Clan designs in its category, it's that slow speed which hampers it with a mere +2 TMM. Other designs, like the Viper or Shadow Cat, can fence at range to cover their low-ish A/S 4/2 and stack a respectable +3 TMM on top of that, but losing one point of TMM turns it from pocket Stormcrow to high-value target - the Stormcrow has a 50% increase in durability for similar speed and better armament while only adding 10-15 to the PV.

The sole exception to this, and the one Adder you wouldn't want to meet in a dark alley, isn't the H, but the E. It dishes out a whopping 6 damage at short range for under 30 points; though I'd be hesitant to say for sure I think that's the highest non-OV damage available for that cheap. However, Short range is only 6 inches, so it's not like it has a lot of room for dealing this damage.

The H is also, unsurprisingly, a solid choice. OV1 is a great butter zone to be in, as it basically means "Find shallow water, add +1 to your damage"; and at S4/M3 OV1 its damage is pretty great for 25 points. It makes solid filler for a brawler Star and saves points for those pricey assault 'Mechs, as well as deterring flankers with its solid turn of speed.

But the others are just underwhelming. Many of them class out as Snipers or Missile Boats, not exactly great roles, and their average (for Clan units) firepower and a sub-par combination of speed and defense kind of inhibits their usefulness.

Still, I can't help but hope the new box includes one. I do love their look - slung low and menacing - and like I said, the H is great for filling out Brawler Stars.

cavingjan

• Spelunca Custos
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
    • warrenborn
« Reply #26 on: 10 September 2015, 20:40:01 »
But when adding 12-15 more points to the cost of a <30 PV unit is a big increase. Taking a look at it, compare 3 Adder B (25 pts) with 2 Stormcrow Primes (38 pts). 12 armor and 6 structure makes them even. Speed is even. S:9, M:9, L:6 vs S10, M10, L4. They seem pretty even. I'm sure if you pick the right configurations that they will line up almost perfectly. It is just a matter of how you have things distributed. (I grabbed the first Adder variant that I found that was 2/3 the PV of the Stormcrow Prime.) The way the PV system works, it really doesn't matter how the stats are sliced across any number of units. The PV should be similar. At least much better than most systems. Even looking at hte cheapest Uller and taking 4 of them, they stack up favorably but the extra 8 points for four of them does make a difference in the outgoing damage department.