Author Topic: Mech of the Week - Onager.  (Read 14524 times)

marauder648

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • Project Zhukov Fan AU TRO's and PDFs
Mech of the Week - Onager.
« on: 17 October 2015, 03:45:01 »
Onager – Edward Scissor-hands 90 tonne cousin.

Background

After the Jihad the Tourman of Clan Jade Falcon was in terrible shape.  With the loss of the Homeworld’s production facilities many staples of the Clan were at risk of going extinct due to a lack of parts and replacements.

Whilst this was true of all the Clans in the Inner Sphere the Falcons were able to somewhat cushion the blow thanks to them turning inner sphere factories into fully functional Clan level ones in an imitation of the Ghost Bear’s and unlike the Wolves who suffered from the loss of their logistic tail far worse than the other invader Clans.

Central to this survival is the huge factories on Pandora and Sudeten both of which were upgrade to produce Clan level equipment.  It seems though that the facilities on Pandora were chosen to produce second line standard Battlemech’s as well as vehicles whilst the Olivetti works on Sudeten produced Omni Mech’s and was the main Falcon factory in the Inner Sphere whilst the Pandora facility is definitely a support site.

Still despite this the Falcons used Red Devil’s facilities on Pandora to produce a new but definitely second line and Garrison Mech to replace their worn out Homeworld machines as well as older Inner Sphere machines they had been forced to use in the lean times following the loss of contact with the Homeworld’s and after the pounding of the Jihad.

Design

The Onager is a meaty looking machine and uses both Endo-steel and Ferro-Fibrous armour in its construction yet it uses a rather simple to produce (and thus cheap) standard rated engine that is built on site on Pandora.  A traditional biped design the Onager boasts a meaty 15 tonnes of protection and thanks to its standard engine this makes this machine irritatingly difficult to put down.

With 15 tonnes of Ferro-Fibrous plate strapped to the Endo-Steel skeleton the Onager has a thick hide.  The legs can take a pair of gauss slugs and then a large laser hit, whilst each arm can resist a pair of gauss slugs before going internal.  The left and right torso can withstand a heavy gauss rifle hit at close range whilst the chest can soak up a pair of AC-20 rounds.  This is meaty protection and the standard engine means that disabling an Onager is more a test of endurance than anything.

Whilst only capable of a maximum speed of 54kph the designers chose to incorporate a full bank of Improved Jump Jets that allow this big machine to make 150 meter leaps which make it surprisingly agile for a machine its size although this comes at a staggering cost in weight as the Improved Jump Jets eat up a fearsome 20 tonnes of weight.

Due to its low speed the Onager is best at home in tight confines or built up terrain and its armament is built to reflect this.  The Onager’s main punch comes from a HAG-30 that lives in the machines left arm that is fed by a (thankfully) generous 4 tonnes of ammo giving the Onager enough firepower to sandblast hostile tanks and Mech’s to shreds.  The rest of the machine’s weaponry is a veritable smorgasbord of short to mid ranged weapons.  Two medium pulse lasers and a pair of SRM-6’s fill out the main mid to short range punch whilst the Onager is more than capable of shredding infantry thanks to its Small Pulse laser and a pair of Micro-Pulse lasers. 

It’s curious to think that whilst the Falcons abandoned Proto-Mech’s early on, they kept a firm grip on their weapons and we see micro pulse and ER Micro lasers appearing quite a few times on Jade Falcon machines.  It could just be that these are stockpiles left over from the Proto-Mech programme but the Falcons could also be producing them, seeing merit in the weapons, if not the machines they were meant to be carried on.

One other feature on the Onager that stands out, although it’s not a weapon per-say but perhaps a sign of things to come is the Onager’s right hand.  Most Mech’s hand actuators are basically quite humanoid and can be dextrous enough to safely pick people up and do moderately delicate work (as in move vehicles without crushing them etc).  Not so the Onager.  Instead of a usual hand there is a monstrous three pronged claw like assembly with its ‘fingers’ looking more like huge shears or scissor blades. 

Possibly a psychological weapon, which would fit with the Mech’s Garrison setting which also works with the Falcon’s ‘stern’ stance on any civil revolt or troubles and the Onager’s infantry or angry crowd mulching firepower.  The big claw is definitely designed to intimidate, and could be the start of the Falcon’s acceptance of melee weapons on their 3145 era Mech’s.

Variants

The Onager has not been produced in many variants and I will talk about why I think this is so afterwards but the Onager II is seemingly built to support the standard machine and is more built to destroy hostile Mech’s rather than be a short ranged brawler.

Armed with the same HAG-30 and its four tonnes of ammo the Onager II sacrifices its improved jump jets with them downgraded to standard versions for 90 meter hops.  The medium and small pulse lasers are also removed but the micro pulse lasers are retained as are the paired SRM-6’s.  The weight saved is then put into a pair of large pulse lasers, one in the left and right torso.  These are fearsome weapons, they hit hard, are long ranged and are fearsomely accurate they can punch holes that the HAG can then fill.

Most interestingly though is the addition of a Harjel II system in the Onager II’s chest and side torso locations to help seal breached armour.  As this system at the time was very very new it could be that the Onager II was also serving as a test bed for the Falcons with an eye towards future deployment of the system.

Future

Whilst the Onager was a product of the 3085 era of rebuilding I am not sure the Onager has a future.  It seems to have been used as the base chassis for the popular and successful Shrike (itself a standard Battlemech) that takes the bird like styling’s of the Onager even further.  Whilst the Onager is still suited to Garrison duty I do not know if it is still being produced in the current period, indeed TRO 3145 talks about ‘surviving’ Onagers being upgraded to the Onager II, to me this indicates that the Onager simply isn’t produced any more.

Thoughts

I’m not sure if I’m a fan of the Onager or not, whilst its punch is good you have to be close to fully use it which takes away the usual Clan advantages of weapons range and really the HAG should be used to fill holes punched by something as its sand blasting nature means it lacks the knock down punch of a PPC or AC. 

Still it is damn mobile for an assault, you don’t even need to run as it can jump as far as it can run and this is another problem for me.  IJJ’s have their place, on light, medium and some heavy Mech’s, but on assaults I feel they are far far far too heavy for what you get, in this case 20 tonnes is lost and it’s not really 20 tonnes the Onager can afford to lose due to its rather heavy standard engine.
The Onager’s weapons work at odd ranges the HAG’s a good long range weapon whilst everything else is medium ranged weapons at best to point blank saturation where the main gun also works the best but its lack of a really solid punch also hurt it.  Its ‘hole punchers’ come in the form of 7 point Medium Pulse laser hits and you’re going to have to hose a target with the HAG and hope for crits over smashing through the armour.

Tactically the Onager might be used to support other machines, with the Inner Sphere Clan’s loosening to near abandonment of Zell the Onager would make a good partner for a machine that has heavy hitting weapons to breach armour, the Onager can then fill those breaches with HAG cluster blasts.

Of the two machines I prefer the Onager II as it has a far heavier punch and has weapons that complement its sandblasting features whilst still retaining an anti-infantry punch.  The combination of HAG and dual large pulse lasers make this machine far more formidable and means it has a punch at a respectable range that does not slowly flay armour off a foe.

[Video Log 195/E 3099 May 28th]

[Subject is Bandit/Pirate Thomas Arrec, aged 29, wearing standard captive fatigues, one eye bruised shut, jaw swollen due to him resisting capture by Elemental Huan from the cockpit of his mech.]

“So we’d done a few raids, big whoop, I mean we was all struggling to make a living and to simply survive, so we raided the Turkey’s, we’d managed to make off with a dropship loaded with spares and a few tanks which was nice, no prisoners which was a shame but still a decent haul for a quick hit and run.  It was our happy time but hell…all good things apparently must come to an end.”

“Seemed you had placed some new tracking devices on the stuff we’d pinched and followed us a few weeks later.  We’d thought we was pretty darn safe until the Queen Anne’s Revenge was hit by some Aero’s, their bombs wrecking her engines, bastards just came outta nowhere and hit us hard and fast an’ an outpost reported seeing a dropships landing plume.”

“We stood too, two lances of Mech’s along with some tanks and dug in weapons and waited, we’d chosen our ground well, atop a plateau with only one way up that was suitable for anything bigger than infantry on foot.”

“Of course it was you Turkey’s I guess you was a bit more pissed off than we’d thought about us borrowing your  stuff…”
“We didn’t expect so quick a reaction and we didn’t expect to see some big ass new Mech come jumping UP the side of the mesa.  I’d not seen a machine that big jump that far before.  And it wasn’t alone either.  We’d put our Mech’s a few clicks away expecting an assault up the ramp so when these big buggers came for us we had everything out of position except our supply teams.”

By the time we’d managed to get something back to face these Mech’s it was all over, our fast movers were no match for the Turkey’s machines and still we charged in.  I saw my boss, Kara’s Mech get torn apart by a pair of these big machines, those rotary cannons on their arms turning her Ostroc into a cripple before one rammed its fist through her machine’s chest..we tried to surrender damn it! Broadcasting on open channels even powering down but you wasn’t listening!

You butchered people I’d know, drunk with and joked with for years like…like animals going to the slaughter..my Panther was caught at close range as I tried to run but some SRM’s opened my back and killed by gyro.  So now I’m your guest…whats it gonna be? More interrogation?

[Muffled off camera voice]

“Oh…well..make it quick you Clan bastards otherwise I’m gonna get out of these bindings and…”

[Recording ends.  The bandit was executed by firing squad 10 minutes after the recording was ended.]

As always thoughts and comments are most welcome!

« Last Edit: 17 October 2015, 03:48:18 by marauder648 »
Ghost Bears: Cute and cuddly. Until you remember its a BLOODY BEAR!

Project Zhukov Fan AU TRO's and PDFs - https://thezhukovau.wordpress.com/

UnLimiTeD

• Captain
Re: Mech of the Week - Onager.
« Reply #1 on: 17 October 2015, 10:27:36 »
So why are improved JJ worth the cost on lighter designs, but not on assaults?
I reckon it's pretty damn hard to put down with 5 Jump making it hard to hit.
It just lacks some firepower.
Savannah Masters are the Pringles of Battletech.
Ooo! OOOOOOO! That was a bad one!...and I liked it.

marauder648

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #2 on: 17 October 2015, 10:56:46 »
IJJ's don't belong on assaults imo, they simply cost far too much weight for the benifits they offer in terms of agility. But 20 tonnes to leap 5 hexes, i'd rather have a gauss rifle and some heatsinks and lasers or a guass rifle, 2 tonnes of ammo and 3 normal IJJ's.

Empyrus

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #3 on: 17 October 2015, 11:01:42 »
So why are improved JJ worth the cost on lighter designs, but not on assaults?
I reckon it's pretty damn hard to put down with 5 Jump making it hard to hit.
It just lacks some firepower.

IJJs in 90-100 tonners are not great as each one weights four tons. 80-85 tonners? They're just big heavies.
As for whether they're worth it in lighter designs, it always depends on variety of things. If a 'mech trades all of its weapons for a massive jump range, what's the point of that jump range?
Or all of its armor, acting as if mere speed will protect you is rather risky if you die right away if do get hit.
EDIT Remember the IJJ weight ranges: 10-55: 1t/JJ, 60-85: 2t/JJ, 90-100: 4t/JJ.

I don't think i'd like the Onager, the name aside. It is inefficient at 90 tons, and it is just... boring, uninspiring. But then that (they're uninspiring and boring) is my opinion about many, many Jihad and early Republic era 'mechs.
« Last Edit: 17 October 2015, 11:03:43 by Empyrus »

UnLimiTeD

• Captain
« Reply #4 on: 17 October 2015, 12:13:51 »
Well, by the sole fact that it mounts 20 tons of jumpjets, it is different from other designs, so make your pick.  ;D
I think what the Onager mostly lacks is 5 tons. Or it has 5 too many, as already established.
Still, if the goal was to create a zombie, I think it was successful.
It's just damn uninspiring.

Natasha Kerensky

• Major
  • Queen of Spades, First Lady of Death, Black Widow
« Reply #5 on: 17 October 2015, 12:45:35 »

I dunno about the Onager's combination of IJJs and HAG.  Spending that much tonnage on IJJs says short-range brawler, which begs for accuracy bonuses to offset the jumping, hole-punching to put down opponents quickly, and no minimum ranges.  Although the HAG's damage increases as its range decreases, the HAG lacks an accuracy bonus, sandpapers an opponent's armor evenly, and even suffers from a minimum range.  I prefer an LB 20-X, some pulse large lasers, a Ultra-20, an ER peeper tied into a TC, or even standard Gauss over a HAG on this kind of machine.

Although the combat profile changes somewhat with the switch to standard JJs, I like the Onager 2 better.  The combination of HAG, dual pulse large lasers, and 12 SRM tubes is much more effective at short- and longer ranges, and the Harjel II is a nice bonus.  Although a little less mobile, she's arguably a more dangerous brawler now, and much more useful for mid-range support.
"Ah, yes.  The belle dame sans merci.  The sweet young thing who will blast your nuts off.  The kitten with a whip.  That mystique?"
"Slavish adherence to formal ritual is a sign that one has nothing better to think about."
"Variety is the spice of battle."
"I've fought in... what... a hundred battles, a thousand battles?  It could be a million as far as I know.  I've fought for anybody who offered a decent contract and a couple who didn't.  And the universe is not much different after all that.  I could go on fighting for another hundred years and it would still look the same."
"I'm in mourning for my life."
"Those who break faith with the Unity shall go down into darkness."

JadeHellbringer

• Easily Bribed Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Colonel
  • Third time this week!
« Reply #6 on: 17 October 2015, 16:38:57 »
Quick thoughts while I try to get out the door:

+Awful miniature. All the mistakes of the Kodiak are present here- the right leg is ramrod straight, but the left is in a prancing pose. I managed to salvage mine into a walk by cutting half of the hip away, but if you really want one of these, buy a Shrike and proxy. The HAG is great for bashes, though.

+The Onager shows the folly of IJJs on a huge Mech. 20 tons of jets to move 3/5/5. 20! To move 3/5/3 would cost SIX tons. What can you do with 14 tons? As an assault Mech it's questionable, as an example of what IJJs cost on a Mech it's perfect.

+Definitely a brawler, and those jets do give it the ability to rapidly move around an urban area in ways assault Mechs traditionally don't do. Wiping out an entire armored company downtown is almost simple in this thing.

+Micro lasers BAD. Second small pulse laser GOOD. Stupid Budgies, stop trying to be cute. At least they gave the HAG an ammo bin- too many Thor pilots coming home from the invasion ready to strangle techs for those AC loadouts, I guess?

+I have trouble seeing the II as anything but a massive improvement, though I haven't tried one. Much better loadout. That HarJel is intriguing, but I've only tried a Mech with it once (Kodiak II) and never got to use it really.
"There's a difference between the soldier and his fight,
But the warrior knows the true meaning of his life."
+Larry and his Flask, 'Blood Drunk'+

"You know, basically war is just, like, a bunch of people playing pranks on each other, but at the end they all die."
+Crow T. Robot+

GreekFire

• Aeternus Ignis
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
« Reply #7 on: 17 October 2015, 17:41:46 »
Don't have the time to write anything long, but the Onager is a clear (and inferior) ancestor of the Shrike. Just compare how much weight it takes the Onager to move 3/5/5 compared to the Shrike's 4/6/5.

The Onager 2 gives it a continued role in a post-Shrike Touman, though, and that's good.
Tu habites au Québec? Tu veux jouer au BattleTech? Envoie-moi un message!

marauder648

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #8 on: 17 October 2015, 22:36:58 »
Was the write up any good though? :)

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • It's just my goth phase
« Reply #9 on: 18 October 2015, 01:33:21 »
The write-up was fine.

I still agree with everyone else that the mech is ugly, boring, and inefficient.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
  • 504th "Gateway" Division
    • There are Monsters in my Sky!
« Reply #10 on: 18 October 2015, 04:56:34 »
Quick thoughts while I try to get out the door:

+Awful miniature. All the mistakes of the Kodiak are present here- the right leg is ramrod straight, but the left is in a prancing pose. I managed to salvage mine into a walk by cutting half of the hip away, but if you really want one of these, buy a Shrike and proxy. The HAG is great for bashes, though.

:( - got one coming in my latest IWM order.

Well, I'll just take it as a challenge ...  ???
* No, FASA wasn't big on errata - ColBosch
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* To sum it up: FASAnomics: By Cthulhu, for Cthulhu - Moonsword
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

wesharrisb

• Lieutenant
  • 8-Bit Battletech
« Reply #11 on: 18 October 2015, 07:01:16 »
I quite enjoy inefficient mechs.
This one has personality.
Good article, BTW.

blitzy

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #12 on: 18 October 2015, 20:18:48 »
I wouldn't really use the word inefficient, but the micro weapons on an assault...
"..and like children playing after sunset, we were surrounded by darkness."  -Ruri Hoshino

JadeHellbringer

• Easily Bribed Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Colonel
  • Third time this week!
« Reply #13 on: 18 October 2015, 20:52:04 »
:( - got one coming in my latest IWM order.

Well, I'll just take it as a challenge ...  ???

Like I said, it's fixable- you'll see what I mean, start cutting away part of the leg where it meets the hip and it's salvageable. But... yeah, I hate that kind of pose. The leg isn't going to be that far back in a running pose if the other leg is standing ramrod straight- give it a bit of a bend, and it looks much better. It sucked on the Kodiak, it sucked on the Devastator, and it's still tragic here.
"There's a difference between the soldier and his fight,
But the warrior knows the true meaning of his life."
+Larry and his Flask, 'Blood Drunk'+

"You know, basically war is just, like, a bunch of people playing pranks on each other, but at the end they all die."
+Crow T. Robot+

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #14 on: 18 October 2015, 23:51:34 »
You know, the thing that really surprised me about this mech is that it was built by the Falcons instead of the Horses, since onager is another name for the Asiatic wild ass.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

UnLimiTeD

• Captain
« Reply #15 on: 19 October 2015, 04:11:11 »
Was the write up any good though? :)
No complaints there.
A bit of feedback though:
The double mention of the armor tonnage in close proximity in the upper area of the "Design"-Paragraph broke a flow for me a little. It was a "wait, didn't I just read that?" moment.
It's an odd one given I normally wonder about the weight or armor tonnage or such in articles that plain don't mention 'em.^^

Empyrus

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #16 on: 19 October 2015, 07:09:20 »
You know, the thing that really surprised me about this mech is that it was built by the Falcons instead of the Horses, since onager is another name for the Asiatic wild ass.

I think the Falcons were thinking the Onager siege weapon.
Not sure the Horses care about donkeys like they care about horses. Of course, they could be OK with an animal as long as it is part of Equidae...

marauder648

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #17 on: 19 October 2015, 07:51:39 »
Aye Onager was a form of catapult :)

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #18 on: 19 October 2015, 11:00:46 »

I know.  I just wanted an excuse to say wild ass on the forum. ;)

Nahuris

• Captain
« Reply #19 on: 19 October 2015, 13:30:23 »
I really want to like the Onager ... as I like the artwork on it. But, first, it's an assault mech, and I rarely field those, and second it's, specifically, a Jade Falcon mech --- and while I am pretty Meh on factions, there are some that rate lower than others, for me, and they are one of them. I am not, normally even fond of the Clans...  and the Falcons seem to be the lowest form of Clanner there is.....

That, and the design decisions ............ while I like mobility -- this design reminds me more of an attempt to out-Charger the Charger, than to be an assault mech.

Nahuris
"A friend will calm you down when you are angry, but a BEST friend will skip along beside you with a baseball bat singing "someone's gonna get it."

"If we are ever in a situation, where I am the voice of reason, we are in a very bad situation."

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • The Temple Grounds - My Roleplaying and History website
« Reply #20 on: 19 October 2015, 14:22:25 »

actually i suspect that they were thinking both. as the clan naming conventions require animal and/or entity names for the mechs. so they went with a name that had double meaning.

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #21 on: 19 October 2015, 15:32:05 »
The Clans had really stopped paying too strict adherence to that rule before the Jihad broke out.

SteelRaven

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Fight for something or Die for nothing
    • The Steel-Raven at DeviantArt
« Reply #22 on: 19 October 2015, 15:34:53 »
A descent brawler.
Battletech Art and Commissions
http://steel-raven.deviantart.com

Caedis Animus

• Captain
  • How can a bird be sultry? Very carefully.
« Reply #23 on: 19 October 2015, 22:56:38 »
I'm pretty sure that an Onager only can only make a descent into a building's basement after improperly checking CF. And then die. Because a building fell on it.

Personally, I think it's a tolerable design, very quirky-but the Onager 2 is certainly better.

Diplominator

• Lieutenant
  • Tactful Tactician
« Reply #24 on: 20 October 2015, 16:00:01 »
A descent brawler.

Desant brawler, perhaps!

I dunno about the Onager. It can be effective enough, and being an assault with five jump MP gives it a lot of leeway, but it's hard to justify its inclusion when there's other options. The variant is a little better off, although I tend to find it has obnoxious heat issues. I think a large part of my dislike for either variant is from how much I dislike the HAG as the main gun. HAGs need so much ammo tonnage to begin with that I'm loathe to use them on a design that's jumping around a lot because of the targeting problems, but if I don't jump then I'm wasting all that tonnage, so it bugs me either way.

Arkansas Warrior

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #25 on: 21 October 2015, 08:55:15 »
Good writeup.  I mean, the whole Fan Article Fanfic style isn't really my cup of tea, but the OOC portion was good, and YMMV on the rest.  Ugly, ugly mech.  This from a guy who likes the look of the Ravager.
Sunrise is Coming.

All Hail First Prince Melissa Davion, the Patron Saint of the Regimental Combat Team, who cowed Dainmar Liao, created the Model Army, and rescued Robinson!  May her light ever guide the sons of the Suns, May our daughters ever endeavour to emulate her!

wildkadabra

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #26 on: 12 March 2022, 10:54:22 »
Sorry for Mecro post!  8) But this is a mech I have recently started playing and as a CJF player I can't believe it took me this long beceause I have been loving it.

The mech at first glance is not overly impressive, until you compare it to a similar mech that I love just as much, the Kingfisher. The Onager is basically the Green Turkey's Kingfisher.

Both mechs are durable by virtue of heavy armor amd standard engine. When compared to Prime at least they both have the same 30 pointa of long range damage, and a very similar armament at closer ranges too. The Kingfisher is a tad bit faster at 4/6 but the Onager can generate +3TMM on demand and have easier access to defensive positions for the possibility of a +4 or +5 when jumping into woods, making an already durable mech that much more durable. The Onager will not win any awards for blowing up Alderaan, but play it as an anchor mech very much the same as a Kingfisher and it will rarely disappoint!

XenopusTex

• Corporal
« Reply #27 on: 14 March 2022, 23:46:44 »
I disagree.  Having play tested the Mk. 1 model of this thing against the MM bot, have found it lacking.  While there are loser configs of the Kingfisher, I'd probably want the Kingfisher in most instances.  The Prime, A, C, and F look like they would be superior choices to the Onager Mk. 1.  Exceptions such as heavily built up areas and/or badlands might alter the balance, but, as is, it makes me think of a confused Highlander. 

The Mk. 1 seems to use the least efficient propulsion systems in tandem.  It then goes on to blow additional tonnage on a Hag 30.  Did the Falcons pick up the "taint" of more speed than brains from the Ice Ferrets?  And, apparently the Falcons were having problems with their scientist class... if the "micro" weapons were garbage on the protomechs, why would anyone think they get better on real 'mechs?  Sounds like some scientists need to be taught a lesson in dial-a-yield lasers, starting from their peripheral appendages and slowly working in toward the gooey center. 

Quirky, eclectic, eccentric, "flavorful," etc. don't win wars.  Functional wins wars, lots of functional hard-hitting units win wars.  With some of the designs coming out of clan-land, it's amazing they actually get anything accomplished militarily. 

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #28 on: 14 March 2022, 23:59:43 »
I think there's a reason the Onager was more or less completely replaced by the Shrike and the Jade Phoenix.

SteelRaven

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Fight for something or Die for nothing
    • The Steel-Raven at DeviantArt
« Reply #29 on: 15 March 2022, 00:19:56 »
The Jupiter appears to be the more popular Assault for the Falcons at the time just going by how often we see the mech but we see some aspects of the Onager in later Falcon designs so the ideas behind the mechs left a impact at the very least. The Falcons would take the lessons learned from the Onager and Flamberge then apply them to Shrike and then the Jade Phoenix.     
Battletech Art and Commissions
http://steel-raven.deviantart.com

Register