Author Topic: Filler Mech of the Week. STY-XX Starslayer  (Read 13151 times)

marauder648

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • Project Zhukov Fan AU TRO's and PDFs
Filler Mech of the Week. STY-XX Starslayer
« on: 16 April 2016, 02:40:54 »
Starslayer.  Or “Are you sure that’s not a Crab shooting at us?”

When the Crab started appearing in 2719 the SLDF loved it, with its minimal supply issues, hard punch (for its size) and good ratio of protection and performance and if Cosara Weaponries been able to produce the required quantities it would have been one of the standard Battlemech’s of the SLDF.

The key word there is ‘if’.  Unfortunately Cosara could simply not produce the Crab in the quantities the SLDF wanted (perhaps due to its shape and the time required to force so heavily curved armour?) and after failing to meet production deadlines again and again the SLDF went “FINE!” threw their hands up at the matter and asked other firms to make something akin to the Crab.

Enter Blue Shot Weapons with their competitor in 2765 with the STY-2C Starslayer, a 50 tonne medium mech.  But technical issues with the main production plant of South Fork and technical gremlins that plagued the FireScan targeting systems delayed full production until 2772 by which time the Amaris Civil War was well underway. 

Blue Shot possibly under the direction or influence of Archon Robert Steiner (who REALLY didn’t like his fathers old friend, General Kerensky) then started a beauracratic fight with the SLDF over paperwork relating to the delivery of the new Mech, whilst happily shipping them off to Lyran forces.

This beauracratic ‘misscommunication’ ensured that few Starslayers were delivered to the SLDF with deliveries only starting in 2781 whilst the Lyrans horded the Mech for themselves and few left with General Kerensky.  Those left in Lyran service were all but lost in the 2nd Succession War and by the time the 3rd rolled round, the design was officially extinct.

It wasn’t until the discovery of the Helm Memory Core that the Starslayer saw the light of day with the Mech being produced after the Clan Invasion and it joined the forces arrayed against the invaders.

Design.

At 50 tonnes the Starslayer joins a fairly crowded market and when first introduced it is very much a Crab Plus.  With a 250 rated engine the Starslayer can hit 86kph and its jump jets can throw it into 150 meter long jumps (5/8/5 in game terms) which was pretty much par for the course for heavy Mech’s its weight and above.  Armour was a bit light with 7 tonnes of protection still gave it adequate protection especially as it was of a Ferro-Fibrous compound that saved weight but still gave good density, still protection was not it’s strong point.

Later variants built after Operation REVIVAL though did feature improved protection, thanks to them having endo-steel skeletons to save more weight, though the engine was never altered from a standard 250 rated one.

Variants

STY-2C – The Crab’s replacement/competitor within the SLDF if it ever arrived (seriously this is a case of ‘And this is where my Starslayer would be….IF I HAD ONE!’.  Shipping delays aside the 2C is a good, if somewhat lightly protected Mech with an armour pattern laid out as follows;

9/13/19/13 (5/5/5)
11/11/17/17

It could still be easily argued though that the Starslayer was superior to the Crab.  It retained the other Mech’s paired large lasers, one in the right arm and one in the right torso, but short ranged firepower went up.  A pair of Medium lasers and a SRM-4 all nestled together in the left torso with the ammo safely stored in CASE whilst 11 double heatsinks kept the Mech running cool.  The advantage of being able to jump also gave it considerable tactical and even strategic mobility and save the SRM, the Mech can keep in the field as long as its onboard supplies hold out.

STY-3C – A later iteration but basically the same as the older 2C the ‘secret’ of the 3C was an Endo-steel skeleton which saved considerable weight which was then put into thickening the Starslayer’s hide, doubly important as it could well be facing Clan Mech’s who would cut through the 2C’s thin hide in the blink of an eye.

With more protection the Starslayer’s hide went up to a more respectable level;
9/19/26/19 (5/6/5)
16/16/24/24

Firepower though remained near identical save the somewhat curious addition of a small laser mounted in the head that fired backwards.  Perhaps the designers felt that the Mech could be outmanouvered by generally faster Clan Mech’s and having something, anything covering the rear was better than nothing.  This is if anything a rather unimaginative yet solid Mech, its firepowers good, protection’s adequate and mobility is average for its size, putting it firmly in the jack of all trades or trooper role.

STY-3D – Another evolutionary design the 3D acknowledged the fact that the Starslayer often found itself outranged by hostile machines especially as the ER large laser and PPC became more common whilst Clan weapons significantly outranged the Starslayer.  So in an attempt to fix this flaw the weapons were swapped but at its heart, this machine is identical to the 3C in every aspect such as structure and armour.  The arm mounted large laser was retained but the torso mounted one was replaced with an ER PPC and an extra heatsink (giving it 12).  With the same protection as the 3C the 3D had to lose something so out went the SRM-4, its ammo and CASE.  The rear firing small laser though was upgraded to a medium.  In theory the long range firepower goes up and it does give the Starslayer a long range weapon, so between a 3D or 3C its six of one, half a dozen of the other on what you want, they are both good.

STY-3DR – A somewhat curious variant to come from House Kurita the 3DR is again based on the 3C with its endo-steel skeleton and 250 rated engine, and the same amount of armour, even if the compound is now Light Ferro-Fibrous instead of the normal version. 

The big change is the weapons, out go both the large lasers and SRM-4, but filling up the right torso is a Heavy Particle Cannon giving the Mech a good solid punch.  Now whilst two large lasers have a slightly better damage output they have to hit the same area to do that, the Heavy PPC can deliver a solid knock down punch.
The Secondary weapons will be familiar to anyone who rides a 3D, two standard mediums in the left torso and one in the head firing over the back. 

There’s also some more subtle changes, the Mech has a Guardian ECM added to disrupt C3 suites whilst the Mech’s musculature has been re-worked with TSM which can provide a surprising boost of speed and give you a mean kick.  But actually setting off the TSM is tricky as the 12 double heatskins mean you’ll have to turn a fair few off and alpha strike like mad to overheat.  Personally I’m not sold on this one, perhaps putting it in a Medium Lance purely for the hitting power of the PPC is really its best bet.  Then other Mech’s can cover its weapon’s or weaken a foe before the Heavy PPC goes to town would be the best use for it.

Thoughts

The Starslayer is a trooper, its as fast as the classic 55 tonners and has a better choice of firepower rather than the often eclectic mix of things like the Shadow Hawk.  Whilst the 2C is very under-armoured its still oddly tough, a standard engine and CASE make it difficult to put down as there’s no XL engine to knock out and this is the same for the whole family.  Much like the Crab they give good, if unimaginative service.  Fighting one, well its easy, its no speed demon so it can’t really generate big TMM’s unless its jumping around like its going out of fashion, and a few solid hits should silence its guns.  Once its right torso is gone it becomes largely toothless.  Still due to its standard engine, actually killing the thing requires coring the chest or ripping a leg off. Or the good ‘ol ER PPC to the face if you're a Clanner.

Dem hips...

A Starslayer opening fire...possibly...

As always thoughts and comments are welcome!
« Last Edit: 16 April 2016, 09:18:51 by marauder648 »
Ghost Bears: Cute and cuddly. Until you remember its a BLOODY BEAR!

Project Zhukov Fan AU TRO's and PDFs - https://thezhukovau.wordpress.com/

Sharpnel

• Colonel
Re: Filler Mech of the Week. STY-XX Starslayer
« Reply #1 on: 16 April 2016, 02:57:26 »
I love flashbulb Mechs and this is one of my favorites.
Consigliere Trygg Bender, CRD-3BL Crusader, The Blazer Mafia
Takehiro 'Taco' Uchimiya, SHD-2H Shadow Hawk 'Taco', Crimson Oasis Trading Company

"Of what use is a dream, if not a blueprint for courageous action" -Adam West
As I get older, I realize that I'm not as good as I once was.
"Life is too short to be living someone else's dream" - Hugh Hefner

Kojak

• Major
  • Melancon Lives!
« Reply #2 on: 16 April 2016, 04:49:38 »
The Starslayer has always been a favorite of mine, though I've seen it appear less often in recent years. The 3Dr is an interesting one (although I'm not sure where you're getting that it's a Kuritan variant, it seems to be just as Lyran as the rest), with the combo of the HPPC, ECM and solid movement curve being a pretty potent one.

"Deep down, I suspect the eject handle on the Hunchback IIC was never actually connected to anything. The regs just say it has to be there."
- Klarg1

marauder648

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #3 on: 16 April 2016, 04:56:36 »
The HPPC to me said Kurita as did the DR title which said 'DRaconis' for some reason.  I'm glad folks like it though.

Kojak

• Major
  • Melancon Lives!
« Reply #4 on: 16 April 2016, 05:20:33 »
The HPPC to me said Kurita as did the DR title which said 'DRaconis' for some reason.

At least going by the MUL, it appears to still a primarily Lyran design (with usage by the Capellans, Canopians, Regulans and Republicans as well). The 'r' in 3Dr is a common appellation among variants found in the ONN series and seems to stand for 'refit'.

"Deep down, I suspect the eject handle on the Hunchback IIC was never actually connected to anything. The regs just say it has to be there."
- Klarg1

Maelwys

• Major
« Reply #5 on: 16 April 2016, 05:24:24 »
Its a solid 'Mech that gets overlooked unfortunately. It sits in 3058 with heroes such as the Emperor and Pillager and its stuck as "solid" rather than amazing. On the plus side, the Starslayer line survived the Jihad and was still running as of the Objectives series. Its a shame it seems like its been overlooked again and
hasn't gotten a new variant.

I think the 3Dr  (lowercase :) ) is based more on the 3D than it is the 3C. Its originally a field refit of the 3D.  Just pull the Large laser and PPC of the 3D and shove in a HPPC and GECM. Considering its supposed to be a field refit, I'm not really sure how the Light FF armor and TSM show up, but maybe that arrived when it was put into normal production. And while the HPPC may hint at a Kurita design, the MUL has it as a Lyran design (which makes sense since its produced there), and then propagating out from there.

Empyrus

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #6 on: 16 April 2016, 09:03:16 »
With a name like that, i'd expect a good assault 'Mech. Instead, we get a really, really ugly medium.
Ugly enough it doesn't matter to me if its good. Not gonna touch that.

And... They stuffed a Small Laser into 3C rather than CASE? Urgh.

Giovanni Blasini

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • And I think it's gonna be a long, long time...
« Reply #7 on: 16 April 2016, 09:11:36 »
Blue Shot possibly under the direction or influence of Archon Robert Steiner (who REALLY didn’t like his father, General Kerensky) then started a beauracratic fight with the SLDF over paperwork relating to the delivery of the new Mech, whilst happily shipping them off to Lyran forces.

Wait, what? Kerensky is Robert Steiner's daddy?
"Does anyone know where the love of God goes / When the waves turn the minutes to hours?"
-- Gordon Lightfoot, "The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald"

marauder648

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #8 on: 16 April 2016, 09:16:53 »
according to Liberation of Terra vol 1, unless I read it wrong.

*edit*

Yes I'm a spanner! i'll fix this fubar.  This is why I should not write MoTW at 0600 AM :s  Robert's Dad was a friend of Kerensky and he resented him for him being closer to Kerensky as a friend than he was with him as a son.  Misread it whilst waking up and bleary eyed.
« Last Edit: 16 April 2016, 09:25:28 by marauder648 »

The Eagle

• Captain
  • This is what peak performance looks like!
« Reply #9 on: 16 April 2016, 09:37:35 »
Yeah, that sounded way wrong to me, too, but I read it early this morning and wasn't motivated enough to sharpshoot.
RIP Dan Schulz, 09 November 2009.  May the Albatross ever fly high.

Hit me up for BattleTech in the WV Panhandle!

DoctorMonkey

• Captain
  • user briefly known as Khan of Clan Sex Panther
« Reply #10 on: 16 April 2016, 09:42:10 »
With a name like that, i'd expect a good assault 'Mech. Instead, we get a really, really ugly medium.
Ugly enough it doesn't matter to me if its good. Not gonna touch that.

And... They stuffed a Small Laser into 3C rather than CASE? Urgh.

I quite like it but agree the mini isn't super-sexy

I think the -3C has both the Small Laser of backwards-facing-doom and CASE
Avatar stollen from spacebattles.com motivational posters thread

ChanMan: "Capellan Ingenuity: The ability to lose battles to Davion forces in new and implausible ways"

marauder648

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #11 on: 16 April 2016, 09:48:00 »
Yarp it has the rear firing laser and CASE. CASE is on all Starslayers that have ammo onboard.

Empyrus

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #12 on: 16 April 2016, 10:00:43 »
Oh. Right. The 'Mech's ugly enough i haven't bothered to take a look at the record sheet.

Well then, i assume the designers didn't want to use half a ton for one or two armor points, so a SL makes sense. Though rear-mount is an odd choice...

jklantern

• LAM of Shame
  • Major
  • Designated Snack Officer of the Diamond Khanate
« Reply #13 on: 16 April 2016, 10:11:01 »
Wait, what? Kerensky is Robert Steiner's daddy?

Can....can we rewrite canon to make this happen?  Because suddenly the Clan Invasion gets an interesting twist to it!

Not to say it wasn't interesting before but, imagine if it was also, "Let's go get Terra AND LET'S PASTE THOSE DIRTY FALSE KERENSKYS!"
I'm not sure how long you've been around on the forums, though you have a thousand posts. Never take anything JKlantern says seriously unless it's about food.

Nikas_Zekeval

• Captain
« Reply #14 on: 16 April 2016, 12:54:42 »
A pretty solid trooper mech,  I usually like the 4D, and pair a couple with a Falconer and one other mech to form a cavalry lance.  Though for better meshed ranges and firepower on the 4D I wouldn't have minded a standard PPC and an ER Large laser.

Darkwing

• Corporal
« Reply #15 on: 16 April 2016, 13:16:40 »
A great trooper mech on paper, but I swear whenever I take one onto the field, the right torso gets nailed every time. I would have spread the big guns out further.
''Do not judge yourself by the friends you have, but by the enemies you make.'' - Jerome Blake

RunandFindOut

• Lieutenant
  • Master of the LolCat Horde
« Reply #16 on: 16 April 2016, 13:46:23 »
I still like the crab better, probably always will. 
One does not just walk into Detroit

She ignored the dragon, and Freddy Mercury who arrived to battle it with the Power of Rock.

DoctorMonkey

• Captain
« Reply #17 on: 16 April 2016, 13:57:54 »
I still like the crab better, probably always will. 

I think hands and jump jets add a lot to the utility of a 'Mech

ChanMan: "Capellan Ingenuity: The ability to lose battles to Davion forces in new and implausible ways"

Giovanni Blasini

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • And I think it's gonna be a long, long time...
« Reply #18 on: 16 April 2016, 16:06:04 »
So, let me ask this: how well does the original do compared to the Crab?  The Crab lacks the SRM, but has better armor, so I'm wondering which one generally works out better.
"Does anyone know where the love of God goes / When the waves turn the minutes to hours?"
-- Gordon Lightfoot, "The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald"

DoctorMonkey

• Captain
« Reply #19 on: 16 April 2016, 16:09:10 »
So, let me ask this: how well does the original do compared to the Crab?  The Crab lacks the SRM, but has better armor, so I'm wondering which one generally works out better.

I think that the -3C is probably the better one to look at, it is such a simple thing to give it Endo Steel, especially in the Star League era and that means it can do so much more

I'd see the original as a cheap early attempt

In a larger battle I suspect the Starslayer would be better but 1-on-1 the Crab would probably win slightly more than it loses but I'd guess no more than a 55:45 ratio

Maelwys

• Major
« Reply #20 on: 16 April 2016, 17:18:41 »
On the other hand, the 3C doesn't exist until 3056, so the comparison with the original is probably better. The Starslayer (2C) has better mobility with its jump jets and greater firepower and greater heat dissipation, while the Crab (27) has better armor. The numbers give the Starslayer about a 160 BV advantage, and I think that's fair. Its got some advantages, but it isn't insurmountable.  Two hits from the Crab's large lasers is going to penetrate the hide of the Starslayer in most locations except for the CT and Legs, while the Starslayer's large lasers are going denude several locations of armor with 2 hits, but not actually go internal until the third hit.

So I'd say its pretty even, with the Starslayer having a slight advantage.

Of course, the CRB-27b Crab also debuted during the Star League. DHS and ERLLs means the Crab is suddenly stupidly cool running and can afford to take shots whenever it feels like it. The Starslayer still has the maneuvering advantage, but the Crab can afford to take risky shots without caring, and its weapons suddenly outrange the Starslayer's. The new range brackets for the ERLL is also going to let the Crab take shots at much better modifiers. For example, at 14 hexes, the Crab is at the extreme range of its medium range bracket, but the Starslayer is nearly at the end of its long range bracket.

The Starslayer would have to close and stay close to make up for the bracket differences. If it can get to the rear, it can eat its way through the armor, but again, its going to be a close fight, which ever Crab you use.

Frogfoot

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #21 on: 16 April 2016, 18:02:37 »
The HPPC to me said Kurita as did the DR title which said 'DRaconis' for some reason.

That was was 3Dr, the lower case 'r' standing for 'refit'. There was a slew of these 'r' refits for lots of different mechs by just about every IS nation during the late Jihad and afterwards. The traditional letter for the Combine is a captial K (for Kurita, rather than trying to be all cool and badass by deliberately mispelling 'Kombine').

HPPCs did start out as a Combine weapon but they're a bit like Heavy Lasers or TSM in that they prolifterated widely after a short time. IIRC the HPPC design was shared with the Free Worlds League (via Wakizashi industries) only a few years after they came into play, as seen on the MAD-9M2 Marauder (which eventually went back the other way to be fielded by the DCMS  #P ) . By the 3080s pretty much everyone had access to HPPCs.

SteelRaven

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Fight for something or Die for nothing
    • The Steel-Raven at DeviantArt
« Reply #22 on: 16 April 2016, 19:11:20 »
Favorite image of the Starslayer
Battletech Art and Commissions
http://steel-raven.deviantart.com

Liam's Ghost

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Miss Chitty finds your honor rules quaint.
« Reply #23 on: 16 April 2016, 19:25:51 »

I tend to favor the crab. In addition to its heavier armor, its weapons are better laid out, both so it can engage more easily in multiple directions and so that it's not going to lose the majority of its warload to critical destruction.

If you factored in the royal variant of the Crab, you could throw in greater reach and more resistance to being set on fire (heat dissipation).
Good news is the lab boys say the symptoms of asbestos poisoning show an immediate latency of 44.6 years. So if you're thirty or over you're laughing. Worst case scenario you miss out on a few rounds of canasta, plus you've forwarded the cause of science by three centuries. I punch those numbers into my calculator, it makes a happy face.

(indirect accessory to the) Slayer of Monitors!

VhenRa

• Captain
« Reply #24 on: 16 April 2016, 22:23:31 »
The key word there is ‘if’.  Unfortunately Cosara could simply not produce the Crab in the quantities the SLDF wanted (perhaps due to its shape and the time required to force so heavily curved armour?) and after failing to meet production deadlines again and again the SLDF went “FINE!” threw their hands up at the matter and asked other firms to make something akin to the Crab.

Or perhaps due to Cosara being a bunch of treasonous traitors on account of being connected to Northwind. See: Their building Targes for the RoTS, seemingly replacing the Crab for it.

If building Targes for the brave sons and daughters of the Republic isn't treason, I dare say nothing is.

DoctorMonkey

• Captain
« Reply #25 on: 17 April 2016, 05:21:29 »
Or perhaps due to Cosara being a bunch of treasonous traitors on account of being connected to Northwind. See: Their building Targes for the RoTS, seemingly replacing the Crab for it.

If building Targes for the brave sons and daughters of the Republic isn't treason, I dare say nothing is.

Is it 300 or 400 years in-game between the fall of the Star League and the rise of the RotS? That's pretty ancient history

I'm really surprised to learn the -3C didn't come along until post Clan Invasion as it seems like such a logical step but I guess the Endo Steel was a Star League Royal toy and the Lyrans kept too many of the Starslaters to themselves to get the 'Mech that sort of Royal-isation treatment

marauder648

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #26 on: 17 April 2016, 05:43:03 »
The Targe is that bad, it deserves the hatred :p

Empyrus

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #27 on: 17 April 2016, 08:39:40 »
I'm never going to understand Targe-hate.
Sure, it ain't an optimal design but looks like "good enough" scout design, similar to the Cicada. Well, TRG-2N aside which is terrible due to combination of MASC and ammo in legs, but the other two are usable, with reasonable armor and good speed. (Not terribly bothered by the small cockpit in a scout design.)
Provided they stick to scouting and harassing. You don't bring a Cicada or Targe to do a Crab's or Starslayer's job.

HobbesHurlbut

• Captain
  • Live Free or Die Hard
« Reply #28 on: 17 April 2016, 08:58:18 »
Favorite image of the Starslayer

Yep I always liked that image.
Clan Blood Spirit - So Bad Ass as to require Orbital Bombardments to wipe us out....it is the only way to be sure!

nerd

• Captain
  • Nunc Partus-Ready Now
    • Traveller Adventures
« Reply #29 on: 17 April 2016, 11:38:36 »
I've long liked the Starslayer, especially the 3C. It's one of the underappreciated designs in TRO 3058.

It's not the most awesome all purpose machine EVAH, but it does well enough when working with anyone else. It can be a spotter/bodyguard for fire support, heavier support for scouts, or just a line fighter. I think it works well with the classic and 3050 Enforcer variants, and supports the classic 55 ton trio as well.
M. T. Thompson
Don of the Starslayer Mafia
Member of the AFFS High Command