Author Topic: Which novel to get?  (Read 6827 times)

bytor

• Lieutenant
Which novel to get?
« on: 21 May 2011, 12:16:29 »
Ok, so I was looking at the Battletech epub novels that are on offer so far, and there are 4 that I've never read before:

Exodus Road
Black Dragon
Ideal War
Highlander Gambit

I've only heard of bits and pieces of these, so I'd like to hear from you all on which I should pick up first. 

"Politics is supposed to be the second oldest profession. I have come to realize that it bears a very close semblance to the first."
-Attributed to General Aleksandr Kerensky

nerd

• Captain
  • Nunc Partus-Ready Now
    • Traveller Adventures
Re: Which novel to get?
« Reply #1 on: 21 May 2011, 23:36:12 »
Exodus Road has the Trent and Judith Faber obtaining the map to the Clan Home Worlds.
Black Dragon, I haven't read.  IIRC, it's a Camancho's Callaberoes novel.
Ideal War is the formation of the Knights of Inner Sphere and a Vietnam in SPACE story.  Even says so in the dedication.  Full disclosure:  I really detest Vietnam in SPACE stories.
Highlander Gambit, I also haven't read, but IIRC, it's Loren Jaffray taking the Northwind Highlanders out of the FedCom orbit in the 3050's.
M. T. Thompson
Don of the Starslayer Mafia
Member of the AFFS High Command

Fallen_Raven

• Major
« Reply #2 on: 21 May 2011, 23:57:21 »
Exodus Road introduces some new characters, and reveals a bit of the Clans beyond the Wolves and Falcons. It also sets up the whole taking out the Jaguars.

Black Dragon is really enjoyable if you liked the Caballeros/Cassie Suthorn is a real girl stories, and not too shabby if you like the Combine. You get some ISF, some Teddy Kurita, some Yakuza ,and some Ghost Regiment fun mixed in to the mercenaries and psycho assassin stuff. Plus a rare appearance of Teddy's wife.

Ideal War's greatest value is that it is a novel of the FWL. If you like Vietnam stories, want WoB the early years, or are a fan of Paul Masters and the Masters of the Universe (Knights of the Inner Sphere if you want to kill my fun) then it has something for you, but otherwise it doesn't stand out of the crowd.

Highlander Gambit gives you all the fun of a Sun-tzu plot, with all the bagpipes and plaid of the Northwind Highlanders, with enough angst for a Linkin Park album or a half page of VSD internal monologue. There are some fun actions sequences and the Fed-Com doesn't come out smelling like roses.

For my money you can't go wrong with Black Dragon, but historical importance goes to Exodus Road, and and Ideal War shows a different side in the novels than you normally get (for better or worse). Highlanders Gambit is a fun read, and provides a bit of insight into characters and groups that don't get a huge amount of "screen time," but it is set in well tread territory at the beginning of a heavily documented period (Fed-Com civil War).
Subtlety is for those who lack a bigger gun.

The Battletech Forums: The best friends you'll ever fire high-powered weaponry at.-JadeHellbringer

bytor

• Lieutenant
« Reply #3 on: 23 May 2011, 16:12:16 »
I went ahead and got Exodus Road.  I think I’ll go for Black Dragon the next time around. 

"Politics is supposed to be the second oldest profession. I have come to realize that it bears a very close semblance to the first."

Doug Glendower

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Captain
  • I really am bad at letting go.
« Reply #4 on: 23 May 2011, 16:26:23 »
Ideal War is one of the poorest novels out there. The WoB depiction is the worst combination of their "technical zealotry" with the old saw about Vietnam body counts. I dread reading it on the times I cycle through the novels, to the point where reaching it, I've killed a cycle just to avoid it.

Exodus Road's not bad, I prefer Black Dragon because of the crazyness of the 17th Recon. Highlander Gambit's a bit weak, but at least everyone with the sole exception of Jaffray seems to be plausible.

Banzai

• Major
  • Team Banzai visits Jurassic Park.
« Reply #5 on: 23 May 2011, 18:43:15 »
If you have read the other Camancho's Callaberoes novels, I would pick Black Dragon; if you haven't, then start with Close Quarters and then Hearts of Chaos.  It will make a lot more sense.

As a fan of mercenaries who abide by their contracts,  I greatly dislike the Northwind Highlanders, so I avoid Highlander Gambit.  But beyond that, it is better than the other two choices in my view.  To be honest, I have only read the other two books once, where I have read most of the other novels in the 'Verse several times (they are like popcorn for that --not much there, but enjoyable for it.)

bytor

• Lieutenant
« Reply #6 on: 23 May 2011, 18:45:45 »
If you have read the other Camancho's Callaberoes novels, I would pick Black Dragon; if you haven't, then start with Close Quarters and then Hearts of Chaos.  It will make a lot more sense.

I'll keep that in mind.  Sadly, Close Quarters and Hearts of Chaos aren't available as ebooks yet.  I might pick them up if at some point in paperback, but for now I'm sticking with ebooks.

Trace Coburn

• Starfighter Analyst
  • Global Moderator
  • Major
  • За родину и свободу!
« Reply #7 on: 23 May 2011, 21:04:27 »
  I actually read Black Dragon first, not realising it was the third in a series, and once I got to the scene where Cassie stabbed the Combine's answer to Brad Pitt/Chow Yun-Fat just to make a point to him, I realised "okay, these people are nucking futs" and I got along just fine from then on.  :D  I couldn't actually buy the novel at the time, though, and it was long gone by the time I found and bought the other two....  :'(

Now, if only BattleCorps would release Black Dragon in .pdf format, for those of us who don't actually have e-readers or Kindles or Nikes or whateverthefrell they're called....  >:(

Degman

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #8 on: 24 May 2011, 05:07:37 »
There are free and simple converters that can be downloaded and which allow you to turn e-readers format into 'normal' ones.

Not sure about direct to .pdf conversion, but you can turn them into .txt files and from that into .rtf, .doc or whatever you like  :)

roosterboy

• Site Maintenance
  • Major
  • J'accuse!
« Reply #9 on: 24 May 2011, 11:28:45 »
ePub format is just a bunch of HTML files zipped into a bundle. You can unzip it and read the files just like you would any other HTML document. Or you can convert it to something else. Or you can get an add-on for Firefox to read the ePub file directly. Point is, you don't really need an e-reader to read those files.

Now, Kindle format is another matter...

bytor

• Lieutenant
« Reply #10 on: 24 May 2011, 11:35:13 »
ePub format is just a bunch of HTML files zipped into a bundle. You can unzip it and read the files just like you would any other HTML document. Or you can convert it to something else. Or you can get an add-on for Firefox to read the ePub file directly. Point is, you don't really need an e-reader to read those files.

Now, Kindle format is another matter...

The epub novels that the Battleshop has on offer come in both formats, a kindle readable one and a more generic epub one.  And yes, there are converters out there, there is a great program called Calibre that not only converts for and to the various formats, but you can also read ebooks through the program. 

cavingjan

• Spelunca Custos
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
    • warrenborn
« Reply #11 on: 24 May 2011, 18:02:36 »
  Now, if only BattleCorps would release Black Dragon in .pdf format, for those of us who don't actually have e-readers or Kindles or Nikes or whateverthefrell they're called....  >:(

It was released May 30, 2010.

Trace Coburn

• Starfighter Analyst
  • Global Moderator
  • Major
  • За родину и свободу!
« Reply #12 on: 24 May 2011, 20:37:02 »
  ... shows how much I know about the latest tech-fads, I suppose.  :-[  Chalk it up to my lingering DTF snobbery - not to mention financial inability/bloody-minded refusal to 'keep up with the Joneses' just for its own sake.  (Hell, I'm still using the same cell-phone and PC I got during Dubya's first term.  ::) )

It was released May 30, 2010.
  ???
  Oh, you mean for subscribers!  "D'oh!" on me.  :-[  For a moment I thought you were talking about the ePub version (which only hit BattleShop for general sale three weeks ago), and I was wondering how you'd fumbled the date like that....  ::)
  Man, I hope my tax refund clears soon.  I've been meaning to get a BC sub for a while, but until my wallet has more than moths in it....  #P

bytor

• Lieutenant
« Reply #13 on: 30 May 2011, 09:48:11 »
Grave Covenant is up now as well, so I can continue reading the Twilight of the Clans series.    [rockon]

Darth Nichos

• Lieutenant
« Reply #14 on: 01 June 2011, 01:17:23 »
Hopefully it appears on Amazon for the Kindle soon
To End is to Begin; therefore there are no Endings, only Beginnings

Peace without Liberty is Oppression with Clothing

bytor

• Lieutenant
« Reply #15 on: 01 June 2011, 07:18:26 »
Hopefully it appears on Amazon for the Kindle soon

No doubt.  I would get it from the Battleshop, but I like having the ability to archive my books and download them again as needed.  I check Amazon yesterday, and it appears that they have The Hunters, which is the third book of the Twilight of the Clans series. 

Darth Nichos

• Lieutenant
« Reply #16 on: 01 June 2011, 18:10:05 »
I am also hoping that the D.R.T will make it soon on Amazon as well as the third book to the Gray Death Legion series

Does anyone know what the release schedule for the novels are? I am trying not to be impatient but I do not want to spend a large amount of money getting a rare used copy of a particular book when I can get it for the Kindle

bytor

• Lieutenant
« Reply #17 on: 02 June 2011, 20:50:22 »
I am also hoping that the D.R.T will make it soon on Amazon as well as the third book to the Gray Death Legion series

Does anyone know what the release schedule for the novels are? I am trying not to be impatient but I do not want to spend a large amount of money getting a rare used copy of a particular book when I can get it for the Kindle

D.R.T. and Grave Covenant show up on Amazon, but they both say "no pricing information available" and don't appear to be available to download just yet.  My guess is a couple of days.

Not sure what the release schedule is, but it seems to be a trickle.  However, this could be because the books need to be converted and edited.

bytor

• Lieutenant
« Reply #18 on: 04 June 2011, 10:23:06 »
The Kindle versions of D.R.T. and Grave Covenant are now available on Amazon  :D

FedSunsBorn

• Captain
« Reply #19 on: 04 June 2011, 23:11:11 »
Finally found Black Dragon at a local used book store and while certain elements were very well done, I didn't like other aspects as much but it all boils down to personal taste, of course. Still.....definitely seems like one of the better BT series of books but not my own personal favorites.
Made by HikageMaru

bytor

• Lieutenant
« Reply #20 on: 07 June 2011, 22:05:27 »
It looks like two more ebooks have been released:  Binding Force and Assumption of Risk, even though the later has been available as a pdf for some time now. 

I D/L'd Grave Covenant last night.  It's nice to be able to catch up on the books I haven't read yet.  Almost every time I see a Battletech book in a used book store it's one I have, so the ebooks have been working out great for me.

Darth Nichos

• Lieutenant
« Reply #21 on: 08 June 2011, 20:59:37 »
Tell me about it, the E-Books are saving me a ton on buying used; its also nice that they are coming out in a timely manner- Thanks Catalyst for releasing them!