Author Topic: Vehicle of the Week Update: Regulator Hovertank  (Read 11355 times)

Moonsword

• Acutus Gladius
  • Global Moderator
  • Colonel
  • You interrupted me reading TROs for this?
Vehicle of the Week Update: Regulator Hovertank
« on: 30 May 2011, 14:15:35 »
Vehicle of the Week Update: Regulator Hovertank

Deciding on a whim this Sunday afternoon to do a double header article this week to make up for the fact that one of them was a short one on the Phalanx, I reached into the file and pulled out the Regulator.  We've had a new variant, the original, while highly amusingly written by Rage, is more than a little long in the tooth and it's actually fallen out of the archives.  Those of you interested, skip down to the next post for his original.  If you asked me, the Regulator is probably the CCAF's favorite hovertank.  Coming to us out of the recently reprinted TRO3058U, the Regulator was designed in response to the major loss of BattleMech production after the Fourth Succession War, not unlike the Po.  That and the fact that the CCAF has a serious love-on for them and uses them very widely, several lances per front-line and reserve unit, is where the resemblance ends.  They first fought in the Marik-Liao offensive in 3057, with a lance absolutely shattering a lance of FedCom 'Mechs, and have continued to fight in every conflict the Capellans have fought in since.  Along the way, either exports or salvage have left them in the hands of the FWL (what there is of it these days...), the other two members of the Trinity Alliance, the Republic of the Sphere, and Clan Diamond Shark.  (Exactly why the Federated Suns didn't get in on the salvage bonanza when they've made their own variant of the Raven I don't know, but unlike the minor lapse on the Republic's availability, I don't have fluff clearly stating they're supposed to be using it, so I'll leave that one alone.)  Equally impressed, the Word of Blake decided imitation was the sincerest form of flattery, making their improved knock-off version, but the original is still in production by Aldis Industries on Betelgeuse and later Terra.

The original Regulator is a fast, deadly hovertank that commands respect.  Aldis got the party started with a 45 ton hover chassis - you've got some terrain restrictions, especially woods, but the speed from the fusion engine is hard to argue with.  That's right, a GM 170 standard fusion engine driving this thing at 151 kph, lightning fast compared to a lot of units.  If someone in the Federated Commonwealth actually approved that one, I really hope they had to face these things in combat to demonstrate exactly why that was a bad idea.  Only 6 tons of Hellespont Lite Ferro-Fibrous (this is FF, not LFF, and predates the latter by a while) is kind of thin but the 30/16/16/29 layout makes good use of what's there.  None of that's what really what makes this thing so respected, though.  It's nice, sure, but so far we're not doing anything the Zephyr hasn't been doing for centuries.  No, it's the Gauss rifle in the turret that makes the girls stop and stare as it screams through town.  Two tons of ammunition provides the standard 16 shots.  Just about every 'Mech ever made will give you quite a bit of respect, offering tithes of ballistic lead, high-energy particles, and the occasional magnetically accelerated iron shot.  Those that don't may not have pilots left when you get done.  As Rage pointed out, it may not be able to force a PSR on its own but honestly, who really cares?

The first variant to turn up was a manifestation of the perverse sexual lust between the Capellan procurement office and the Arrow IV.  Instead of being a straight yank-and-replace in the turret, someone also pared a ton of armor off to get another ton of ammo, leaving you with 5 tons arranged 25/14/14/22 and a lot of encouragement to use the fact that this is probably the fastest artillery unit in the game to not be sitting around waiting for the counter-battery fire to arrive.  As artillery goes, this is lightning fast, and is able to keep up with even rapid hovercraft advances or be used as a mobile battery to support a broader front than usual with short flight time tactical fire, an artillery tank for all seasons as it were.  Your days of accidentally outrunning your artillery support are over, gentlemen, and the ways these things can be used in more strategic games is enough to sell entire semi-trailers full of Maalox.  The number of cruel and unusual punishments that can be put in the ammo bins starts with homing rounds and ends with a Crockett for those of you who don't mind a bit of radioactive redecorating.  Unlike the widely spread standard model, this one is only seen with the Capellans and the Canopians.  Not even the Taurians are using it.

The second variant, also found in RS3058 Unabridged, is theoretically a field refit and inspired a Republic variant of the Regulator II.  The turret is downsized a bit since it only hosts a RAC/5.  A targeting computer was added to increase accuracy with said Touhou-esque spray of bullets while four tons of ammo are available, so unlike a lot of RAC units, the ammunition supply is generous even at high fire rates.  The half-ton from the turret downgrade was applied to CASE - a worthy upgrade, certainly, but it means this is a factory model (or at least being done at a depot with the ability to assemble them if provided with the parts), not something you can do in a transport bay.  As with the Arrow IV model, this is a Capellan and Canopian special.  Even more pointedly than usual, you need to keep fire rate selection appropriate to your targeting numbers.  Murphy is always there, always waiting.  He's like some sort of twisted, demonic Santa Claus who doesn't bother to wait for Christmas.

A mercenary group seen on Pozzan appear to be the sole operators of the latest variant to pop up.  This one is similar to the original in some ways but since it's in XTRO: Liao, you know some sort of weird, experimental hardware is going to be here somewhere, and it doesn't disappoint.  A lot of us have posited in our own private thoughts how awesome it would be to have a stealth armored Regulator.  The armor is now only 4.5 tons of stealth plate arranged 20/11/10/20, which means that not getting shot had better be at the top of your priority list, but a Gauss rifle isn't a single-hit kill anywhere but the stern, so it could certainly be worse.  ECM is naturally present to power the stealth armor.  The real surprise here to both me and the Maskirovka, though, was the use of a Silver Bullet Gauss rifle that was estimated to be hijacked from a Word of Blake storage facility somewhere.  Think LB 10-X cluster rounds and you'll get the idea of what it does.  I can't say I find the armor pleasant to think about but with the stealth upgrade, it's certainly not nearly as bad as it could be, and detecting them is going to be... interesting until they get down to tactical ranges.

There are some apocryphal variants out there - reports of experimental CCAF stealth testbeds in XTRO: Liao, rumors of C3-equipped models showing up at Origins one year - but that's it for the things I can actually put my hands on record sheets for and the ones in the MUL.  The stealth testbeds probably look a lot like the Regulator Alan except using regular Gauss rifles but GWA, when mentioning the C3 models, was uncertain as to the armament.

So, you've got this hovertank.  What in the world do you do once you've turned the key?  First of all, it's a hovertank, not a tank or even a wheeled tank.  This means that you're more vulnerable to side hits taking out your motive system than usual.  Those of you who actually read the armor levels earlier are probably aware that you don't want to expose the sides anyway, especially on the Regulator Alan.  Since turning during your ridiculously fast sprints involves a PSR (AKA an opportunity to let the crews sample the fine, fine wares of the local turf provider), this is also something to avoid when you can.  Rage suggested either hanging back and slinging fire in or quick slashing attacks at high speed to jack the TMM as far as it'll go.  RACs will want to emphasize those given their lower range but they can certainly snipe at medium ranges with their targeting computers.

If you want to stop them, I suggest breaking out the LB-Xs and inflicting motive damage to get them to stop zooming around first.  If you can't get those, pulse lasers, precision ammo, and certain options in TacOps (including the Regulator Alan's SB Gauss) can all be useful.  Up close, SRMs (including Infernos) can certainly do the job but the accuracy is going to leave something to be desired against a unit that can frequently sprint around with a +3 TMM.  Once you've got the speed down a bit, grab a hammer and smash it flat.  None of them are armed with anything you want pointed at you and the RAC model is probably going to toss caution to the wind at this point.

Image Reference: The MUL database has information on BV and availability along with the artwork.  Ironically, neither of the miniatures on are Capellan.
« Last Edit: 17 June 2011, 11:59:41 by Moonsword »

Moonsword

• Acutus Gladius
  • Global Moderator
  • Colonel
Re: Vehicle of the Week Update: Regulator Hovertank
« Reply #1 on: 30 May 2011, 14:16:01 »
Bonus: Original Article
Original Poster: Rage
Original Post Date: 15 July 2005

OK, first of all, I have deposed our dim-witted, recently-minted Moderator, Hellbie, and had him exiled to the worst place I could think of.  But, since Detroit was full due to the All-Star game, I left him somewhere in the pacific northwest to get crushed by a tree or get eaten by beavers or woodpeckers or something.  Second of all, long live Emperor Rage.  Thirdly, I'll actually get to the point and bring you this week's Vehicle of the Week:  The Regulator Hovertank.

Since the Capellan Confederation had lost much of its 'Mech-production facilities to the smelly, uneducated livestock-loving Davionistas, Liao had to focus on making effective combat vehicles.  And, boy, did they get it right with the Regulator.  Tipping the scales at 45 tons, the Reg is sheathed with six tons of Ferro-fibrous armour, the Reg can take a pretty fair beating when hit with most powerful guns, but it won't last long with that kind of punishment.  Thankfully, it also moves at a brisk cruising speed of 97 kph (9 MP) with a flank speed of 151 kph (14 MP) which allows it to maintain range while being able to avoid most return fire.

The centerpiece of the Regulator, however, is its turret-mounted Gauss rifle.  Who doesn't like a 15-point head-capper?  Sure it can't force a PSR, but, come on.  It's a OSK on any 'Mech out there.  Sixteen rounds of ammunitoin ensures that it'll be a pesky bastard for a good long time until it either runs out of ammo or gets fragged.

Seeing as it's a hovertank, obviously, the best places to have this vee is on clear terrain or on pavement.  Due to its use of a fusion engine, it can also be used in a vacuum.  The speed and Gauss rifle makes this hovertank one of the very few hovers that have the luxury of being able to take advantage of their speed to hang back and snipe the crap out of the OpFor.  Of course, the Reg can also be employed in slashing attacks like every other hover out there, but hanging back a bit, to around maximum for the gauss' medium range, would be a good idea due to most mid-ranged weapons being at long range when returning fire.

There's not really much that can be done to improve this little beauty, due to the ability to dish out such concentrated damage at such range.  You can replace the main gun with any combination of heavier ballistic weapons (or even energy guns if need be), though a Light Gauss with 32 rounds and twin ER medium lasers and a C3 Slave to take advantage of the new Morningstar/Minion combination available to House Liao would be nice.  I'd really love to see an OmniTank version of the Regulator to give Liao the ability to take advantage of other heavy weapons available to them.

OK, gentlemen and ladies, that's it for me this week.  Tune in next week; same Rage time, same Rage channel for the VotW.  Now, discuss.

iamfanboy

• Captain
« Reply #2 on: 30 May 2011, 20:08:12 »
The Regulator is one of those tanks that (despite low fundage!) I've been seriously looking at adding to my scant tank collection. As one of the (if not THE) fastest Gauss rifles as well as the absolute fastest artillery in the game, it's a worthy addition to any arsenal. A company with a lance of these, a lance of Pegasus hovertanks for critseeking, and a lance of Maxims to carry battle armor is a fast-response unit that could wreck any 'Mech unit's day.

The only downside to the basic Regulator is its high BV 2.0-cost related to other effective combat hovertanks: the Saladin is 600 compared to the Regulator's 1200, the Maxim is 900 and carries infantry or BA, and the Pegasus tops the scale at just above 700 and totes TAG, ECM, and a BAP for all your recon needs. However, the regulator does a different job than all of those, being more a fast direct fire-support platform, and comparing it to other chassis in a similar classification (Yellowjacket, Musketeer, Hollander) it is quite reasonably priced and more survivable than most of its competitors.

Also, the Arrow IV Regulator is a positive BV bargain at only 1k bv; I can only think of the Yellow Jacket Arrow IV variant as cheaper BV-wise and it's a helluva lot slower with less ammo to boot.

markhall

• Lieutenant
  • "The Button's Stuck!"
« Reply #3 on: 31 May 2011, 11:12:09 »
Also, the Arrow IV Regulator is a positive BV bargain at only 1k bv; I can only think of the Yellow Jacket Arrow IV variant as cheaper BV-wise and it's a helluva lot slower with less ammo to boot.

Recently discovered this version. And am going to employ in the Arty company of my LCT. It's a lovely addition to the regulator line. Which is a mean beast at the best of times.

Moonsword

• Acutus Gladius
  • Global Moderator
  • Colonel
« Reply #4 on: 31 May 2011, 11:39:41 »
Recently discovered this version. And am going to employ in the Arty company of my LCT. It's a lovely addition to the regulator line. Which is a mean beast at the best of times.

I had a feeling that one was going to be a bit of a hit.  The usual anti-artillery tactics are a lot harder, too, because most of the things used to hunt artillery can't actually catch a Regulator.  A couple of Saladins with two tons of precision ammo each should suffice to run off the little pests that can.

markhall

• Lieutenant
  • "The Button's Stuck!"
« Reply #5 on: 31 May 2011, 14:20:41 »
Yeah. Plus how handy to get your Arty into position. No longer will you need to fire from 10 maps away because your too slow to keep up with the main forces.
And no need to keep them with the supply line when they can just nip back and fourth to the ammo trucks.

I see the potential of the RAC Version. Bit will probably stick with the Gauss and Arrow VI varient for now.

Till some nutbar sticks a Heavy Gauss on to it.

Iron Mongoose

• Lieutenant
  • Don't you know, you're all my very best friends
« Reply #6 on: 31 May 2011, 14:54:20 »
While its true many of the veriants are good, some quite very good, the basic model is a bit like the Elemental battlearmor.  Not only is it better than its immatators, but its really the gold standard for all combat hovertanks, and largely at the head of the class when it comes to fast fighting armor.  At the time of Rage's article, and for several years after, I never managed to take the field from a Regular equiped opponent, though a few years ago I finaly pulled it off with a St Ives theamed force of good cheap CC mechs and a few high end FS mechs and just won by bringing more armor and more guns.  BV2 was a big part in that I expect, since you pay for what you get, and you really get a hell of a lot.

The only real problem with the Regulator is the same as the problem with a lot of squirly little units, like the Clan's Vapor Eagle for example, in that while it can look out for itself quite well, it can't really do anything to take heat away from team mates, and while the GR hits like a hammer, it can hardly kill enemy before they can do a lot of hurt on slower units.  The resualt is that Regulators can't really make up too large a part of your force, for all their glory.  One to support a lance is nice, or two if its a big heavy/assualt lance and can absorb a lot of fire.  But more than than and too much of your force it tied up in a unit that can't afford to be hit, leaving the hit taking to a too small group of units that can.
"For my military knowledge, though I'm plucky and adventury,
Has only been brought down to the beginning of the century..."

Moonsword

• Acutus Gladius
  • Global Moderator
  • Colonel
« Reply #7 on: 31 May 2011, 15:15:38 »
Yeah. Plus how handy to get your Arty into position. No longer will you need to fire from 10 maps away because your too slow to keep up with the main forces.

More accurately, no longer will you be sitting their playing solitaire while the driver desperately tries to get into range because you're too slow to keep up with the main forces.  Arrow IV ranges are eight map sheets for Spheroid launchers, nine for Clan launchers.

And no need to keep them with the supply line when they can just nip back and fourth to the ammo trucks.

That is, in fact, the real reason the Maskirova bothered to steal the Maxim II specs: just-in-time ammo supply of things like FASCAM, homing Arrows, and all the T-Aug Stumpy the Archer can shoot.  They've got clamps for that whole moving BA thing.

(Those you who want to do this in reality, please note that the Maxim Mk. II currently isn't available to anyone but the RS and the Lyrans, whatever they're calling themselves this decade.  Assuming you care what the MUL says, anyway.)
« Last Edit: 31 May 2011, 20:37:28 by Moonsword »

klinktastic

• Master Sergeant
    • Hexare Grenadiers Campaign Website
« Reply #8 on: 31 May 2011, 20:27:35 »
I can attest, the Regulator Arrow IV variant is very awesome.  Three tons of ammo gives you the ability to bring some homing plus at least one other type of ammo to supplement your homing.  The speed and surprising durability is very nice.  It's practically the only unit that can keep up with your main forces while still providing artillery support.  You can outrun most skirmishing units that would ordinarily threaten most other artillery units.  It has my vote!
Check out our actual play campaign website which contains all our after action reports, unit profiles and mission analysis at: www.ourbattletech.com/hexare

Ian Sharpe

• Captain
« Reply #9 on: 31 May 2011, 22:34:00 »
Regulator is easily the best anti-Mech hovertank in the game.  Great offensive unit that should be the backbone of any Cappy hovertank force.  The Arrow IV variant works well in conjunction with rapid advances.  Not blown away by the RAC one as I once was.  Under BMRr it would have been a great, but too short-ranged and vulnerable for TW rules.

It also has fantastic art and a very faithful mini, even if the barrel never makes me think 'gauss rifle' by looking at it.

Demos

• Captain
« Reply #10 on: 01 June 2011, 02:16:00 »
Regulator is easily the best anti-Mech hovertank in the game.  Great
Nope. This one is the Regulator II.  ;)
"WoB - Seekers of Serenity, Protectors of Human Purity, Enforcers of Blake's Will!"

sandstorm

• Lieutenant
  • Slayers Clear the Way
« Reply #11 on: 01 June 2011, 06:50:07 »
One thing that irks me, Regulator is NOT the fastest ArrowIV platform in game. :D

You guys are all ignoring the ArrowIV carrying Aquarius and Lyonesse Small Crafts. :D 'Ground' speed measured in mapboards, oh yeah? No terrain restrictions? (Well, except that you need to land to shoot...)

That said, Regulators are nasty little speed demons, and I definitely would reach for heavy fighters with bomb loads if my opponent fielded Regulators in larger amounts.
Ex Dubio, Obscura
--------------------
"Only a warrior chooses pacifism; others are condemned to it."

Warclaw

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #12 on: 01 June 2011, 07:43:08 »
Bonus: Original Article
Original Poster: Rage
Original Post Date: 15 July 2005

Due to its use of a fusion engine, it can also be used in a vacuum. 

As what?  A paperweight?  Maybe as a very poorly armored bunker?  While the Fusion engine means that its ENGINE can function in a vacuum, and the crew will be able to breath due to sealing and life support, the Hover fans still need some sort of atmosphere to function.

If there's nothing to fill the skirts, the hover system is useless.  It doesn't have to be breathable air, but there has to be SOMETHING resembling an atmosphere.

In a vacuum?  Nope, sorry, if you want any sort of mobility under those conditions, you'll need a wheeled or tracked unit.  It's the same reason WIGE and Conventional aircraft don't function in Vacuum.  They need the atmosphere to function.  Basic physics.

Iron Mongoose

• Lieutenant
« Reply #13 on: 01 June 2011, 09:18:29 »
Don't worry.  We already pointed that out to Rage when it wrote it six years back.  He just never bothered to correct the article about it.

As for the Regulator II, it is perhaps the nearest thing to a sequal that's better than the origonal, since its got more speed and more armor with no reduction in power.  But, its also got no increese in power, so while anything the Regulator can do it can do better, it can't really do anything that the Regulator can't already do to at least some degree.  Its definatly better, but its hardly a unit that makes the old one obsolite.  And if price or BV was a concern, I can absolutly see where the old standby would be prefered.

tzu13

• Corporal
  • Xin Frickin' Sheng
« Reply #14 on: 03 June 2011, 04:39:21 »
All I know is that my Fa Shih know of no better ride than to be clamped to the side of a firing Regulator moving at full flank. :D

The lurker formerly known as Tzu13

misterpants

• Warrant Officer
  • Bringing you the beats and grooves of Xin Sheng
« Reply #15 on: 03 June 2011, 10:58:07 »
All I know is that my Fa Shih know of no better ride than to be clamped to the side of a firing Regulator moving at full flank. :D

"Huh, why is 3rd platoon listed under the quartermaster's inventory as 'spare regulator plating"..."

Iron Mongoose

• Lieutenant
« Reply #16 on: 03 June 2011, 11:04:08 »
Eh, BA armor or no, Regulators are quick enough, ranged enough, and vulnerable enough to crits that they have no buisness getting hit no matter what.  Which is super great for the BA on them.

tzu13

• Corporal
  • Xin Frickin' Sheng
« Reply #17 on: 03 June 2011, 11:35:12 »
"Huh, why is 3rd platoon listed under the quartermaster's inventory as 'spare regulator plating"..."

Only to mislead any Fedrat "intelligence" officers who manage to steal a look at our TO&E before a battle. Leaves the commanders mighty confused when the Reg pops out from behind the trees sans BA and all of a sudden their viewscreens are covered with little red dots...

The lurker formerly known as Tzu13

Slicer3025

• Corporal
« Reply #18 on: 05 June 2011, 02:00:00 »
Speaking of the Regulator IIs, at least they're a logical albeit expensive upgrade.  The mess that is the Po II will always make me hang my head in shame, WHAT THE BLEEP ARE THEY THINKING?!?  Shoulda just renamed it Expensive Ass MBT (Rommel with some extra bling), i swear what were the Capps thinking, are they trying to compete with those overpriced monsters the FS and LC are strutting about, like the Alarcorns, Challengers, and Manteuffels  #P

Regulators rock, even with the TW nerf!

Nikas_Zekeval

• Captain
« Reply #19 on: 05 June 2011, 19:23:59 »
The only real problem with the Regulator is the same as the problem with a lot of squirly little units, like the Clan's Vapor Eagle for example, in that while it can look out for itself quite well, it can't really do anything to take heat away from team mates, and while the GR hits like a hammer, it can hardly kill enemy before they can do a lot of hurt on slower units.  The resualt is that Regulators can't really make up too large a part of your force, for all their glory.  One to support a lance is nice, or two if its a big heavy/assualt lance and can absorb a lot of fire.  But more than than and too much of your force it tied up in a unit that can't afford to be hit, leaving the hit taking to a too small group of units that can.

The Regulator sits in a sweet spot in terms of the 20% minimum engine rule for a fusion hovertank vs usable war load.  Going up to 50 tons, unless you bump to an XL reactor actually loses you tonnage.

The real issue with Regulators are that hovercraft are ill equipped to hold ground or take it from dug in troops.  Speed is life for them, they can harass, bleed, and try to soften up an advancing force, but are ill suited to holding the line, or head to head assaults.

They shine in fluid battles, but in pitched ones have to serve in a supporting role, slashing in and out of the fight to soften up the enemy while your assault force rolls in.  Now in that role the Regulator handles well, as I joke a Gauss Rifle covers a multitude of sins.  With initiative you can dictate the range, pulling the old Warrior H-7 trick of 'I'm shooting from my medium range, you are returning fire at your long range', and fifteen point whacks sting even if you don't hit the head.

BTW there is a Lyran fixation for most of these comparisons, "I can't take down a heavy or assault with it one on one".  But the Regulator is a medium, most medium mechs for example would be hard pressed to take even a single GR hit anywhere without being breached, particularly in the arms.  Using a GR on a light?  Well a disturbing number of them will be crippled by a single GR hit anywhere.

My recommendation might be to start with the small fry and work your way up with Regulators, say a pair on each light till you manage to tag it.  That leaves the OPFOR a choice, either pull his lights back behind the mediums and heavies (sacrificing their speed advantage and protection to keep them there) or watch you close to the far end of your short range to savage his lights.  Repeat with mediums, again in pairs at least, though I'd consider a lance at a time for quicker kills.  Once you are left with heavies and assaults hang back and support your big units as they go in, lance size a minimum, more if you can swing it or have to tie one guy down while servicing the others.
« Last Edit: 05 June 2011, 19:30:39 by Nikas_Zekeval »

oldfart3025

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #20 on: 08 June 2011, 00:25:02 »
The Regulator has become both admired and hated in our games. It's a dangerous machine, to put it bluntly. Whether Regulators make up the bulk of mobile fire platoons in armored cav squadrons, or a just couple attached to fast interdiction units, this thing is just the ticket to make the Bad Guys sweat rivers and shit a gold brick.

The Arrow IV MAS variant has proven very effective in our play group. While lacking the durability of the relatively quick 'Mech-based Arrow IV platforms, it's faster and harder to hit. Counter-battery against these pests is extremely difficult and luck-based at best, nigh impossible at worst. A winning formula all around.

The Regulator "Alan" has been adopted for general use in my group. It's a nice addition to specialized "headhunter" units, with it's stealth armor and ECM suite. But where it really shines is as a tank destroyer. However, the coolest kills for this variant so far have been a couple of SpecOps airborne targets, as opposed to AFVs and Battlemechs. An "operational kill" of a Wasp LAM and the shooting down of a Banshee "special forces fighter" are the sweet feathers in the SB Gauss Regulator's cap.

Just my two cents worth.
"That which I cannot crush with words alone, I shall crush with the tanks of the Imperial Guard!"~Lord Solar Macharius

markhall

• Lieutenant
  • "The Button's Stuck!"
« Reply #21 on: 08 June 2011, 01:47:48 »
Have a game planned for today.
There shall be 12 of these on the table Running a delaying Mission.

Moonsword

• Acutus Gladius
  • Global Moderator
  • Colonel
« Reply #22 on: 08 June 2011, 12:45:32 »
Have a game planned for today.
There shall be 12 of these on the table Running a delaying Mission.

You don't really like your players, do you?

More seriously, if somebody has an LB 10-X or 5-X, they need to go down fast.  Pour the fire of a lance or more into a single a target to knock down targets quickly.  Once someone's down with reasonably crippling damage (a gyro hit, for instance), move on to the next target since your goal is to slow them down, not generate kills.

If they all get down, you can break contact and either withdraw or prepare an ambush for the recovery units.  Or you can go ahead and pick off the cripples if you don't expect to retain the battlefield, then streak off.

markhall

• Lieutenant
  • "The Button's Stuck!"
« Reply #23 on: 09 June 2011, 09:35:25 »
It was a fun game. But we played the tanks more like they where sporting ac 20's than Guass and that cost us.
Doing up a report shall share later.

Also working on an Arrow VI mini

Using the Bushwackers Missle pack.

Moonsword

• Acutus Gladius
  • Global Moderator
  • Colonel
« Reply #24 on: 09 June 2011, 20:28:44 »
That's a good use for the missile pack.  Looks good.

Register