Author Topic: Why not?  (Read 20662 times)

RichardC1967

• Sergeant
  • TEUTONIC TERROR
Why not?
« on: 31 May 2011, 23:08:55 »
will the Battletech Universe ever see an alien invasion from deep space, which will force all the Houses and Clans to band together to fight a common foe, or will they just continue to fight each other for the NEXT 25 years?
Say what you mean, and mean what you say

General308

• Captain
Re: Why not?
« Reply #1 on: 31 May 2011, 23:12:31 »
will the Battletech Universe ever see an alien invasion from deep space, which will force all the Houses and Clans to band together to fight a common foe, or will they just continue to fight each other for the NEXT 25 years?

Battletech already had an Alien Invasion from deep space.  They were called "The Clans"   

RichardC1967

• Sergeant
  • TEUTONIC TERROR
« Reply #2 on: 31 May 2011, 23:17:59 »

Battletech already had an Alien Invasion from deep space.  They were called "The Clans"   

not talking about human invaders that left and came back..something like a Predator/Aliens type invader that uses biological constructs

Shijima_3085

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #3 on: 31 May 2011, 23:19:45 »
Jumping the shark.

While the shark is jumping through a flaming hoop.

Being held by a ProtoMech.

haesslich

• Lieutenant
« Reply #4 on: 31 May 2011, 23:22:57 »

not talking about human invaders that left and came back..something like a Predator/Aliens type invader that uses biological constructs

Well, the reason here is probably because BattleTech's focus is on human versus human conflict, not 'aliens invade, everyone fights back' like 80% of sci-fi settings out there.  That's why the universe is so human-centric, with most alien life being non-sapient and non-sentient, barring the Tetatae who are effectively a non-issue due to their being completely off the grid. 

At this point, I'd have to say the chances of seeing an alien invasion (which completely takes away the one difference between BattleTech and most other games save Heavy Gear) is lower than BattleTech deciding to completely ditch Mechs in favor of PeaceTech where people don't fight, and we see huge starships plying the stars using warp drives and without money, greed, or psychotic idiots with more power than sense waging war on one another.

martian

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #5 on: 31 May 2011, 23:25:54 »
Hello, this problem has been solved already. Check these two threads, especially the first one:

http://www.classicbattletech.com/forumarchive/index.php/topic,69865.0.html  (16 pages)

http://www.classicbattletech.com/forumarchive/index.php/topic,41475.0.html (7 pages)

M-Rex

• Lieutenant
  • In Ferro, Veritas.
« Reply #6 on: 31 May 2011, 23:27:05 »
Jumping the shark.

While the shark is jumping through a flaming hoop.

Being held by a ProtoMech.

...with Ted McGinley.

"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered his last round...

"Carrying stuff may be a sign of improper utilization of your minions." - 'Freelance Writer' Paul

PeripheryPirate

• Warrant Officer
  • Your friendly neighborhood Periphery pirate!
« Reply #7 on: 31 May 2011, 23:29:51 »
will the Battletech Universe ever see an alien invasion

NO.

Not having aliens is what makes BattleTech, BattleTech. There are plenty of other sci-fi verses out there if you crave aliens, or if you feel so inclined you can brew something up for your own little storylines.

General308

• Captain
« Reply #8 on: 31 May 2011, 23:38:51 »

Well if you do that what you are speaking of you ruin one of the things that makes BT unique.  IE no E.T.'s  On top of that you gain really nothing in using them that you can't get with humans.

General308

• Captain
« Reply #9 on: 31 May 2011, 23:40:05 »
Hello, this problem has been solved already. Check these two threads, especially the first one:

http://www.classicbattletech.com/forumarchive/index.php/topic,69865.0.html  (16 pages)

http://www.classicbattletech.com/forumarchive/index.php/topic,41475.0.html (7 pages)

Hey I remember the 16 page one

RichardC1967

• Sergeant
  • TEUTONIC TERROR
« Reply #10 on: 31 May 2011, 23:49:46 »
OK, so I get the point..but hypothetically if the Developers at BT decided to add an Alien storyline all of the sudden, then how many of you guys would stop playing BT? or at least not buy the new line of TRO's or miniatures?
« Last Edit: 31 May 2011, 23:53:50 by RichardC1967 »

martian

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #11 on: 31 May 2011, 23:50:14 »
"What I wanted was a universe that had a taste of the alien, but did not contain aliens."
Jordan K. Weisman - Shrapnel, Fragments from the Inner Sphere

Quote from: HABEAS32

Other things not in BattleTech:
Magic (some strange shit happens, yes, but most of these can be played off as near-death experiences and hallucinations)
Telepathy/telekinesis/clairvoyance (Face it guys, the Nova Cats just smoke some weird shit, and those Nekakami guys just have fun bags of tricks)
Sentient aliens (Sorry; we remain committed to a strictly man-vs-man universe, at least as far as everyone can tell)

haesslich

• Lieutenant
« Reply #12 on: 31 May 2011, 23:59:37 »
OK, so I get the point..but hypothetically if the Developers at BT decided to added an  Alien storyline all of the sudden, then how many of you guys would stop playing BT? or at least not buy the new line of TRO's or miniatures?

Well, that'd probably go over even worse than intial Dark Ages release with converted AgroMechs and hordes of vehicles...  especially since there are far better-developed settings for mecha and aliens.  Or big robots and aliens.

Warhammer 40000, Robotech, RIFTS, GURPS: Mecha, the various Star Wars RPG's and tabletop games (looking at the d20 and West End Games versions), WarMachine all come to mind immediately for tabletop.  I can name more anime, sci-fi series, novels, and video games with mechs and aliens if you prefer.

I can only think of two games where mechs and humans only play a big role, which I've already named above... and Heavy Gear's Gears are more power armor or ProtoMechs than BattleMechs.

Sigma

• Captain
  • N-scale Fanatic
« Reply #13 on: 01 June 2011, 00:21:10 »
There are plenty of Stone Age tech aliens already. I say we have an easy war with them first before we step up to advanced non-human genocide.

greywolf79

• Lieutenant
« Reply #14 on: 01 June 2011, 00:24:20 »
I just wanted to put my 2 cents in...

Aliens are acceptable in the form of life (ie there are "alien" versions of animals, but not sentient to the point of humanities level) in BT. I do not mind reading about some alien version of a dog ferret mix or whatever.

But Sentient Aliens are not acceptable. This just (like so many have said before) would make BT like every other sci-fi game... I would stop supporting the game if it did add sentient aliens. I almost did so when I read about the Blakist gene cast things, I will never put them into a game I play - they are too alien for me. I will never play one and never play a game with them involved (though WoB enemies are fine and even using the Celestials that are supposed to be piloted by the gene caste guys, but I wont use the rules or play in a game where they are used)... But that is just me.
GreyWolf.

Sigma

• Captain
  • N-scale Fanatic
« Reply #15 on: 01 June 2011, 00:27:54 »
Genecast are clanners, thus the cast part. Just throwing that out there. And I think a war of annihilation against them persecuted by the Ravens or some such would be a nice little event to throw in the late 3100's.

And there are plenty Neanderthal level sapients out there. It's in all the fluff. There's no sport in killing cavemen though. And if you give the cavemen spaceships, it's just not Battletech anymore.
« Last Edit: 01 June 2011, 00:32:12 by Sigma »

General308

• Captain
« Reply #16 on: 01 June 2011, 00:28:28 »
OK, so I get the point..but hypothetically if the Developers at BT decided to add an Alien storyline all of the sudden, then how many of you guys would stop playing BT? or at least not buy the new line of TRO's or miniatures?

I would either stop playing or ignore everything they did going forward.  Which would mean not buying products.     Heck I am thrilled they are not going to spend much time on MWDA and move past it to new stuff.  Because I will not buy the DA stuff.  Most likely ignoring what they did going forward

General308

• Captain
« Reply #17 on: 01 June 2011, 00:29:54 »
Here is the the real question.  Why would you want to add aliens?   What would you actually gain that you can't get with humans?

Ratwedge

• Lieutenant
« Reply #18 on: 01 June 2011, 00:30:31 »
I wouldnt care. Just means more things to kill, more challenges and so forth.

martian

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #19 on: 01 June 2011, 00:47:18 »
Here is the the real question.  Why would you want to add aliens?   

The real question, guys, is why are you re-inventing a wheel. Everything you could think out is included in those aforementioned threads. Everything you could say has been already said in those threads. Now try a real challenge: Come with something that hasn't been discussed here before.  :)

General308

• Captain
« Reply #20 on: 01 June 2011, 00:49:22 »
The real question, guys, is why are you re-inventing a wheel. Everything you could think out is included in those aforementioned threads. Everything you could say has been already said in those threads. Now try a real challenge: Come with something that hasn't been discussed here before.  :)

You know that can be said about 90% of the threads on this board.

RAE

• Sergeant
  • Capellan Confederation: Deadly Stylish
« Reply #21 on: 01 June 2011, 00:50:58 »
I'll definitely stop caring about Battletech the very moment humankind establishes a contact with sentient alien species. I've always seen Battletech as a tale of basic human flaws, that plague our existence no matter how far in space we go and no matter how advanced our technologies become. So while I welcome 'alien' societies and cultures (like, the Clans, Manei Domini or Genecaste, because they still represent the extension of these flaws to one or other extreme), I feel that aliens have no place in the BTU.
« Last Edit: 01 June 2011, 01:13:49 by RAE »

"Everything falls if it gets hit hard enough. I'll just have to make sure it don't get up again"
- Marcus Barton, Colonel, 2nd MAC

RichardC1967

• Sergeant
  • TEUTONIC TERROR
« Reply #22 on: 01 June 2011, 01:06:13 »

How am I supposed to know this was discussed last year and again in 2008, I'm still fairly new to the boards and I'm just trying to make conversation and get to know members here.It seems like every board or forum has that one guy who always has to remind everyone that the topic has been discussed previously.. :(

PeripheryPirate

• Warrant Officer
  • Your friendly neighborhood Periphery pirate!
« Reply #23 on: 01 June 2011, 01:22:07 »

I would definitely be outta here. The lack of sentient aliens is one of the first things (besides 'Mechs themselves) that drew me to BattleTech, so if they were to take away that cornerstone (which, fortunately, they won't), my support would collapse immediately.

How am I supposed to know this was discussed last year and again in 2008, I'm still fairly new to the boards and I'm just trying to make conversation and get to know members here.It seems like every board or forum has that one guy who always has to remind everyone that the topic has been discussed previously.. :(

Don't let it bother you. In a few months, I guarantee you will see this topic again by someone else. It happens, and people will be people. In fact, I expect we'll have a "BattleTech Movie" thread within the next month, because it's been a while. Certain topics have that cockroach-like ability, heheh.

StCptMara

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Looking for new Adder skin boots
« Reply #24 on: 01 June 2011, 01:39:41 »
Don't let it bother you. In a few months, I guarantee you will see this topic again by someone else. It happens, and people will be people. In fact, I expect we'll have a "BattleTech Movie" thread within the next month, because it's been a while. Certain topics have that cockroach-like ability, heheh.

Like Davion and Wolf Fiat, Who is Devlin Stone?, Battletech Movie, Mechwarrior 5, why the Unseen's look sucks/rocks,
how there should be no weapons other then the "perfect" IS Medium laser, why the original Jagermech sucks/rocks,
Anti-Dark Age threads, Anti-Jihad threads(which I figure will die down like the Anti-Clan threads), "Why 3025 was the
best era" threads...

Honestly, there are certain topics that keep coming up, and, really, I honestly think many of the long time forumites are
sick of them, because they never add anything new, and invariably end up in circular arguments of "I'm right because I'm
right, and no amount of reasoned arguments and evidential or anecdotal proof will sway me to believe anything else" from
all sides.
"Victory or Debt!"- The Battlecry of Mercenaries everywhere

"Greetings, Mechwarrior! You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the frontier against---Oops, wrong universe" - Unknown SLDF Recruiter

Reality and Battletech go hand in hand like a drug induced hallucination and engineering a fusion reactor ;-)

I am Belch II

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • It's a gator with a nuke, whats the problem.
« Reply #25 on: 01 June 2011, 01:41:55 »
Please NO!!!! Battletech is so much better without Aliens!!!
Walking the fine line between sarcasm and being a smart-ass

A. Lurker

• Major
« Reply #26 on: 01 June 2011, 01:47:04 »
Essentially, the reason we won't see aliens in BT is because at least the part of the BT fandom that regularly posts on these boards (which may or may not be representative, but why take chances?) makes the WH40K Imperium of Man look like a bunch of alien-hugging xenophiles...and these are, after all, the people CGL are trying to sell their game to. ;)

Demos

• Captain
« Reply #27 on: 01 June 2011, 01:59:28 »
I'll definitely stop caring about Battletech the very moment humankind establishes a contact with sentient alien species. I've always seen Battletech as a tale of basic human flaws, that plague our existence no matter how far in space we go and no matter how advanced our technologies become. So while I welcome 'alien' societies and cultures (like, the Clans, Manei Domini or Genecaste, because they still represent the extension of these flaws to one or other extreme), I feel that aliens have no place in the BTU.
+1
Couldn't said it better...
"WoB - Seekers of Serenity, Protectors of Human Purity, Enforcers of Blake's Will!"

StCptMara

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Looking for new Adder skin boots
« Reply #28 on: 01 June 2011, 02:09:13 »
Essentially, the reason we won't see aliens in BT is because at least the part of the BT fandom that regularly posts on these boards (which may or may not be representative, but why take chances?) makes the WH40K Imperium of Man look like a bunch of alien-hugging xenophiles...and these are, after all, the people CGL are trying to sell their game to. ;)

*shifty eyes* Some people *ARE* xenophiles...doesn't mean we want to see Aliens in Battletech. For our Aliens,
we have other universes for that!
"Victory or Debt!"- The Battlecry of Mercenaries everywhere

"Greetings, Mechwarrior! You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the frontier against---Oops, wrong universe" - Unknown SLDF Recruiter

Reality and Battletech go hand in hand like a drug induced hallucination and engineering a fusion reactor ;-)

markhall

• Lieutenant
  • "The Button's Stuck!"
« Reply #29 on: 01 June 2011, 02:57:32 »
*shifty eyes* Some people *ARE* xenophiles...doesn't mean we want to see Aliens in Battletech. For our Aliens,
we have other universes for that!

Yes we do.
http://www.eclipsephase.com/