Author Topic: (Answered) Random Unit Generation  (Read 10863 times)

Bad_Syntax

• Lieutenant
    • Battletech Engineer
(Answered) Random Unit Generation
« on: 29 January 2011, 17:06:10 »
Some questions on the random unit generation in Strategic Operations.

When you roll up an advanced inner sphere or periphery unit there is a chance you can roll up an Understrength or Reinforced company.  Under "True Random" on p333 it states that you roll a d6 to determine the weight of each lance.  However, the table on the top of p334 has only a 3 lance company, though it does have a 2 star binary, so:

#1.  Is the 2 star binary the same as a 2 lance company?

#2.  How do we determine the lance composition of a 4 lance company?  Perhaps just double the 2 lance one?

#3.  The advanced tables let you have understrength/overstrength clusters or battalions for example, but if you roll up a galaxy or regiment with multiple clusters/battalions, are ALL of those always at exactly 3 trinaries/companies each?  I would think there would be occasional variety.  Lances in the units can be different sizes.  I would think that the fix for this is simply allowing subordinate units of a parent to also use the d6 roll, and on a '6' its an "advanced" sub-unit which then gets a new roll on the advanced table for that unit size (and it could end up being the same anyway).  Hopefully that is the fix for it Smiley

Thanks, soon as ya'll get these answered I have an application to randomly generate units!
« Last Edit: 20 August 2012, 00:43:43 by Xotl »
Battletech Engineer
Disclaimer:  Anything I post here, or anywhere else, can freely be used by anybody, anywhere, for any purposes without any compenstation to or recognition of myself.

Welshman

• Mostly Retired Has Been
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
Re: Random Unit Generation
« Reply #1 on: 29 January 2011, 18:52:35 »
Some questions on the random unit generation in Strategic Operations.

When you roll up an advanced inner sphere or periphery unit there is a chance you can roll up an Understrength or Reinforced company.  Under "True Random" on p333 it states that you roll a d6 to determine the weight of each lance.  However, the table on the top of p334 has only a 3 lance company, though it does have a 2 star binary, so:

#1.  Is the 2 star binary the same as a 2 lance company?

Correct

#2.  How do we determine the lance composition of a 4 lance company?  Perhaps just double the 2 lance one?

That is correct

#3.  The advanced tables let you have understrength/overstrength clusters or battalions for example, but if you roll up a galaxy or regiment with multiple clusters/battalions, are ALL of those always at exactly 3 trinaries/companies each?  I would think there would be occasional variety.  Lances in the units can be different sizes.  I would think that the fix for this is simply allowing subordinate units of a parent to also use the d6 roll, and on a '6' its an "advanced" sub-unit which then gets a new roll on the advanced table for that unit size (and it could end up being the same anyway).  Hopefully that is the fix for it Smiley

On Pg 330 the Advanced Formations Table has Reinforced Regiments and Galaxies. If you choose to just generate a unit at the regiment/galaxy level, then all the sub formations can be the same size for simplicity. If you want greater variety, then roll each sub formation on the Force Composition table on page 333.

-Joel BC-
Catalyst Freelancer (Inactive)

"Some closets will never contain Narnia, no matter how many times we open the door." - Weirdo, in relation to the power of hope.

Register