Author Topic: Historical: Reunification War  (Read 7364 times)

subspook

• Recruit
Historical: Reunification War
« on: 25 June 2011, 15:58:45 »
It's finally here and it is awesome! Great stats concerning all parties involved and force breakdowns. Nice, just simply a great product.
Taurian and Proud of it

bytor

• Lieutenant
Re: Historical: Reunification War
« Reply #1 on: 25 June 2011, 21:06:22 »
As soon as my bonus arrives I'm going to get it.  Something to read on my vacation!  :)

"Politics is supposed to be the second oldest profession. I have come to realize that it bears a very close semblance to the first."
-Attributed to General Aleksandr Kerensky

Crimson Dynamo

• Lieutenant
  • Opening hearts, minds, and throats since 2807
« Reply #2 on: 04 July 2011, 14:51:00 »
An awesome product. I particularly appreciate the RATs for all Reunification War participants, and the force generation and unit rules. This Historical is very much win.
"Well, I do, Marcus, and rule number one of the MAC has always been that the man with the plan leads. If we get shot up, I'm the first one to get my ticket punched. There are no flags in the MAC."
"And there never will be," Barton said, nodding his head in agreement.

"You guys are facing a freaking Shadow Division! These guys have strict policies against playing fair!"

"I don’t care. Kill them. I planned the defense so I know it will work. If they claim otherwise, they’re cowards. Any step back is a betrayal of me, and saying they don’t have enough men is just an excuse for incompetence and disloyalty. Tell the Krypteia to do it if you’re too soft but get it done." -Emperor Stefan Ukris Amaris I

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #3 on: 04 July 2011, 15:48:49 »
Great book!  I enjoyed the freshing out of the campaigns, and found Ian Marik's encounter/interaction with Crystal Centrella highly entertaining.  Having a lot of the Warship combat finally freshed out was surprise and greatfully thing to get with heavy shunning of the unit type in later eras. I wish they had included couple more Warship classes for the Great Houses, but i degress.

It certainly a good read, giving plenty ammunition for GMs to build a campaign for players wanting to play in that era.
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

Caesar Steiner for Archon

• Captain
  • I think I'm dehydrated. What day is it?
« Reply #4 on: 02 August 2011, 03:58:27 »
I feel like the personalities section of the DC and CC got short-changed.  They both only get their head of state?

Strike first. Strike hard. No mercy.

bytor

• Lieutenant
« Reply #5 on: 03 August 2011, 20:23:37 »
I feel like the personalities section of the DC and CC got short-changed.  They both only get their head of state?

Perhaps they felt that there weren't any other personalities from those two realms that had any impact on the Reunification War? 

"Politics is supposed to be the second oldest profession. I have come to realize that it bears a very close semblance to the first."

Caesar Steiner for Archon

• Captain
  • I think I'm dehydrated. What day is it?
« Reply #6 on: 04 August 2011, 23:30:57 »
Perhaps they felt that there weren't any other personalities from those two realms that had any impact on the Reunification War?

They must have changed their minds between then and the time they wrote special rules for notable characters, then, because there's three of them in that part.

Strike first. Strike hard. No mercy.

bytor

• Lieutenant
« Reply #7 on: 04 August 2011, 23:41:31 »
Good point. 

Darth Nichos

• Lieutenant
« Reply #8 on: 08 August 2011, 15:40:05 »
Whens this book going to appear on Amazon.com? Its been in pre-order phase forever
To End is to Begin; therefore there are no Endings, only Beginnings

Peace without Liberty is Oppression with Clothing

LowTechSolution

• Recruit
« Reply #9 on: 15 August 2011, 22:55:39 »
I'm very impressed with this book in almost all aspects. The only thing that bothers me after looking through it for an hour is the lack of an index. Can someone confirm that the book is indeed index-free, or is it just my copy (or did I miss it somehow)?

Adrian Gideon

• BattleTech Developer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • BattleTech Line Developer
« Reply #10 on: 16 August 2011, 10:35:38 »
No index.
If you appreciate how I’m doing, send me a tip: ko-fi.com/rayarrastia
fb.com/battletechgame
@CGL_BattleTech

StoneGiant

• Master Sergeant
  • CLAN WIND SHRIMP
« Reply #11 on: 22 August 2011, 02:33:21 »
The Star League era of BT always felt the most mysterious to me, given the scarcity of material to cover it and the glowing almost mystical and legendary reverence with which it's discussed in universe, so I'm both excited to check this book out, and a tiny bit skeptical that it will spoil the fun. Kind of like not wanting to know what really happened to the Wolverines, or Kerensky's Exodus.

The excitement outweighs the skepticism however, will snag this when I see it at the local game store.

Digging the cover art, is there some sort of process that figures out what mechs haven't got a lot of screen time on cover art and throws them to the front of the line so to speak? Can't remember the last time I saw a Thug on the cover of something!  8)
555th Prawn Grenadiers, Tempura Galaxy, Scampi Cluster, Gumbo Super Nova, Risotto Trinary, Creole Star.

Dragon Cat

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Not Dead Until I Say So
« Reply #12 on: 26 August 2011, 15:22:32 »
just got my dead tree copy of this great book and the first thing that jumps off the page literally is.... the Drost II

It's a firefly!!  Yes it's heavier and carries guns but has two small craft, designed as an infantry/light bulk carrier the art is different but very cool

All the units look great too and Rocket Launchers established when they should have been very nice!!
My three main Alternate Timeline with Thanks fan-fiction threads are in the links below. I'm always open to suggestions or additions to be incorporated so if you feel you wish to add something feel free. There's non-canon units, equipment, people, events, erm... Solar Systems spread throughout so please enjoy

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,20515.0.html - Part 1

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,52013.0.html - Part 2

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,79196.0.html - Part 3

Sgtops54

• Private
« Reply #13 on: 26 August 2011, 20:42:41 »
Just got mine and it looks great.

gyedid

• Captain
  • Always brighter on the other side of the mirror.
« Reply #14 on: 27 August 2011, 17:03:28 »
just got my dead tree copy of this great book and the first thing that jumps off the page literally is.... the Drost II

Have all the errors that were in the PDF been fixed?

cheers,

Gabe
So, now I'm imagining people boxing up Overlords for loading as cargo.  "Nope, totally not a DropShip.  Everyone knows you can't fit a DropShip in a WarShip!  It's...a ten thousand ton box of marshmallows!  Yeah.  For the Heavy Guards big annual smores party."
--Arkansas Warrior, on the possibility of carrying Dropships as cargo in Warship cargo bays.

TERRAN SUPREMACY DEFENSE FORCE.  For when you want to send the SLDF, but couldn't afford the whole kit and kaboodle.

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #15 on: 28 August 2011, 00:15:19 »
I got mine with TRO: Prototypes.  I'm extra happy since I'll have something to read while Iren likely knock out the power later in day.
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants

Quentil

• Sergeant
« Reply #16 on: 28 August 2011, 20:58:41 »
It was an enjoyable read.
If only CM Punk had a flying phone booth.  He could then battle the Sharktopus without insulting people.

Trace Coburn

• Starfighter Analyst
  • Global Moderator
  • Major
  • За родину и свободу!
« Reply #17 on: 29 August 2011, 03:57:48 »
Have all the errors that were in the PDF been fixed?

cheers,

Gabe
  My copy arrived this morning, and I'm checking that now; so far, doesn't look like it.  :'(  Maybe in the next print run.  :-X

Oh, well: at least I can read this copy during power-cuts.  :D

gyedid

• Captain
  • Always brighter on the other side of the mirror.
« Reply #18 on: 29 August 2011, 06:29:33 »
  My copy arrived this morning, and I'm checking that now; so far, doesn't look like it.  :'(  Maybe in the next print run.  :-X

That is a MAJOR disincentive for me to buy the thing.  In fact, I think it's near-scandalous.  The first-run PDF was clearly, IMO, a "beta" version that lacked proper copyediting and fact-checking (yes, I read everything on the errata thread), and for Catalyst to put it in print without making the necessary corrections to ensure it was of the quality it should have been...well, I'm not sure just what that says about Catalyst.

cheers,

Gabe
So, now I'm imagining people boxing up Overlords for loading as cargo.  "Nope, totally not a DropShip.  Everyone knows you can't fit a DropShip in a WarShip!  It's...a ten thousand ton box of marshmallows!  Yeah.  For the Heavy Guards big annual smores party."
--Arkansas Warrior, on the possibility of carrying Dropships as cargo in Warship cargo bays.

TERRAN SUPREMACY DEFENSE FORCE.  For when you want to send the SLDF, but couldn't afford the whole kit and kaboodle.

Alex Keller

• Captain
« Reply #19 on: 29 August 2011, 17:41:13 »
While I found the storyline entertaining, the grammatical errors and easy spelling errors were quite distracting.  I actually went through my book with a PEN and corrected problems where I saw them.  Often times, 3-5 errors per page!  Clearly, more quality control is needed.

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #20 on: 29 August 2011, 20:41:14 »

You know the bigger crime is?  The Gaming store i goto got a shipment of five of these books, three of them got some kinda.....dare i say stomach related fluids on them somehow from the warehouse and have to be returned.

Darth Nichos

• Lieutenant
« Reply #21 on: 15 September 2011, 20:40:54 »
This is really great so far; even going as far as changing my opinions on some factions.
To End is to Begin; therefore there are no Endings, only Beginnings

Peace without Liberty is Oppression with Clothing

Nerroth

• Captain
« Reply #22 on: 18 September 2011, 01:02:01 »
Got the printed version earlier this week; very impressed.

Just think; for those who have been familiar with the setting for a long time, these historical books are relatively recent developments... but for brand new players picking it up for the first time, they may have a whole new set of starting points to choose from.

One thing I was wondering, though. Three of the major operations in the war have specific codenames; BULL RUN for the Taurians, UNION HOLD for the Outworlds, and MAILED FIST for the RWR. What was the operation into the Magistracy called? (I didn't spot a name for it in the book...)
« Last Edit: 18 September 2011, 01:37:19 by Nerroth »

roosterboy

• Site Maintenance
  • Major
  • J'accuse!
« Reply #23 on: 18 September 2011, 02:05:40 »
One thing I was wondering, though. Three of the major operations in the war have specific codenames; BULL RUN for the Taurians, UNION HOLD for the Outworlds, and MAILED FIST for the RWR. What was the operation into the Magistracy called? (I didn't spot a name for it in the book...)

http://www.classicbattletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,7659.msg175036.html#msg175036

ckosacranoid

• Lieutenant
« Reply #24 on: 22 September 2011, 22:07:33 »
there was one thing that i was bummer about. they did not make mention of any mech skills any of the names in the book had. i know sevral big names where leading troops in battle and not anything for thier skill level in thier write out or what mech they drove. like the leader of house steiner, she drover a war hammer and not skill level. that is the rest of the book nothing listed under thier name. one of the other leaders was driving a rifleman when he was ambushed, it think it was the son of the star league for that mention.
the rest of the book was cool and very fun to read. the day of rage section could be a fun thing to run as a game though at a con or something.