Author Topic: ’Mech of the Week: GTR-* Great Turtle  (Read 8220 times)

Kotetsu

• Captain
’Mech of the Week: GTR-* Great Turtle
« on: 22 July 2011, 19:31:29 »
’Mech of the Week: GTR-* Great Turtle

Vining Engineering and Salvage Team (VEST) is a company well-known for creating both mainstream (Grand Titan) and experimental (Aquagladius) BattleMechs. Though some of their competitors deride their designs as excessively focused, even as glorified IndustrialMechs, their machines are still quite effective. In response to reports indicating a massive drop of life expectancy for MechWarriors, VEST produced the Great Turtle, which while lacking overpowering offensive firepower, is one of the most durable BattleMechs in existence.

The GTR-1 is a 100-ton quad design and mounts an astounding 40.5 tons of hardened armor, providing the maximum protection available for any BattleMech. As each point of armor counts twice, this is enhanced further, so that the center torso can take three short-range Heavy Gauss rifle slugs. This is good, since the design also uses a torso-mounted cockpit. While this does grant the pilot much more protection than a standard head-mount, it also leaves him susceptible to the legendary Golden BB.

The armor also causes a slight decrease in running speed, so jump jets were added to allow for added maneuverability. Endo-steel mitigates some effects of the weight of the armor and a compact gyro. Fourteen double heat sinks deal with most of the heat generated by the weapons load; one large and three medium x-pulse lasers tied to a targeting computer.

While a beautiful design in its own right, complaints about the short range of the weapons load led to the creation of the GTR-2 variant. The large x-pulse was replaced by an ER PPC with attached capacitor, and one of the medium x-pulses was swapped for an ER medium. Three heat sinks were added to assist with the additional heat. The hardened armor was replaced by standard plate, thus decreasing the amount of punishment it can take without breaching. Some of the weight savings went into a compact engine. The rest went into using armored components for the engine, gyro, sensors, cockpit, life support, hips, and every weapon on the machine. This does add to the durability of the design.

To use this machine, the closer you get, usually the better off you are. Though you are vulnerable to foes in your back arc, do remember that anyone hugging your rear probably won’t like a 100-ton quad mule kicking them. Getting to your opponent is a bit more difficult. Use cover if you can. Or if you can use it like I tend to use Berserkers. March straight at the enemy you want to slam and use your armor to absorb the damage. This is especially true for the GTR-1, which can absorb phenomenal amounts of fire. Only extreme bad luck will put your down.

To fight one of these, there’s no way around it. Keep firing at it until it stops twitching. If you can use as many Gauss Rifles as you can. Even though the GTR-1 can take multiple shots anywhere other than the rear torsos and the head, enough shelling will breach. While using AP ammo in your autocannons might seem a good idea, the hardened armor takes away those properties. That said, if you have a Hunchback, or an extremely unlucky Clanner in a Hunchback IIC, Class-20 autocannons should be fired as fast as possible. You might not get too many chances. As with all quads if you can get into its side arcs, you will be even more protected. Bonus points if you can get into melee in those arcs. And if you get a lucky “snake eyes” on location from the front or rear, take advantage of it. Even at -2 on the GTR-1, every chance you get to put that pilot in a body bag, do it. It’s not like he has an escape hatch anyway.

vidar

• Warrant Officer
Re: ’Mech of the Week: GTR-* Great Turtle
« Reply #1 on: 22 July 2011, 21:28:08 »
Fun monster, all but imposable to kill.  I always wanted to put a C3master and ECM on one.  Talk about a pain to knock out.

Moonsword

• Acutus Gladius
  • Global Moderator
  • Colonel
  • You interrupted me reading TROs for this?
« Reply #2 on: 22 July 2011, 23:07:56 »
They're beasts.  They're definitely beasts.  But we have the technology, gentlemen.  Men invented pointy sticks to kill beasts.  And BattleTech has some very pointy sticks.

And if someone's crazy enough to plunk down a company of them, remember, Vincents are available for under 15k.

To fight one of these, there’s no way around it. Keep firing at it until it stops twitching. If you can use as many Gauss Rifles as you can. Even though the GTR-1 can take multiple shots anywhere other than the rear torsos and the head, enough shelling will breach. While using AP ammo in your autocannons might seem a good idea, the hardened armor takes away those properties. That said, if you have a Hunchback, or an extremely unlucky Clanner in a Hunchback IIC, Class-20 autocannons should be fired as fast as possible. You might not get too many chances. As with all quads if you can get into its side arcs, you will be even more protected. Bonus points if you can get into melee in those arcs. And if you get a lucky “snake eyes” on location from the front or rear, take advantage of it. Even at -2 on the GTR-1, every chance you get to put that pilot in a body bag, do it. It’s not like he has an escape hatch anyway.

They're energy boats.  Use incendiary weapons to shut their weapons fire down hard and you can keep them under control while getting rid of their friends.  And against a GTR-1, bring PPCs, especially ER or heavy models.  Gauss rifles run out of ammo.  PPCs don't.

Fun monster, all but imposable to kill.  I always wanted to put a C3master and ECM on one.  Talk about a pain to knock out.

It's not hard at all to maneuver a reasonably tough interdiction unit between a Great Turtle and the rest of its lance unless they're lollyggagging around the 'Mech itself.  And if they are, they're not going anywhere fast and are bait for any number of other things they won't enjoy very much.  Sure, the Great Turtle may not be dead from the minefields, the artillery fire, or the air strikes, but the rest of its lance probably is.

Swords of Fire

• Corporal
« Reply #3 on: 23 July 2011, 01:56:48 »
I recall one player once asking if they could strap Great Turtles to the sides of an Agamemnon or Eagle, because one in each arc would increase armour by about a quarter.

Admittedly said player also said 'The fastest way to the heart of a Great Turtle is a Class 10 Naval Autocannon'
Sometimes I think that Australia was the inspiration for the Periphery, simply because they both look really good from a long way away, but up close, everything is trying to kill you.

Kotetsu

• Captain
« Reply #4 on: 23 July 2011, 02:24:17 »
They're energy boats.  Use incendiary weapons to shut their weapons fire down hard and you can keep them under control while getting rid of their friends.  And against a GTR-1, bring PPCs, especially ER or heavy models.  Gauss rifles run out of ammo.  PPCs don't.

Point taken. Guess I'm too used to using the -4Z Pillager. I've taken that thing through four missions without having to reload...

Diablo48

• Major
« Reply #5 on: 23 July 2011, 02:27:25 »
If there was ever a 'Mech to completely ignore, this is it.  Leave the walking pile of armor alone and kill its buddies.  Once you are done you can have your remaining forces pile everything they have into it until it goes down.

Now, if it is the only target on the field I would have to agree with Moonsword that you want to focus on energy weapons to bring this thing down because its hide is thick enough to absorb your entire magazine and keep coming.  Range is also your friend because this thing is not going to be closing any time soon so you would do well to wear it down from 10+ hexes where it really cannot do much to hurt you.

View my design musings or request your own custom ride here.

Iron Mongoose

• Lieutenant
  • Don't you know, you're all my very best friends
« Reply #6 on: 27 July 2011, 01:48:20 »
The problem with the Turtle is, if it had double the armor and 2/3rds the power of a normal high end assualt mech, it would be really excelent.  It had had double the armor and half the power, it would be workable.

But, it has double the armor and closer to 1/3rd the fire power (and range) of a conventional high end assualt mech.  So, you can kill it easily enough by just throwing a conventional high end assualt mech, or even a high end Clan heavy, and just slugging it out at close range, which is the thing the Turtle should excel at.  Its pulse bonus is of little use in such a senario, since you can't hardly miss an Atlas that's just standing and delivering anyway (though it does alow it to jump around, if desired) and even with thouse jets it can hardly avoid any fire, especaly since it needs to be very close to ensure its MXPLs are in range.  Even some of the top level 1 monsters like the Atlas or Stalker could put a meaningful fright into the thing (or an Awesome with a bit of open map, of course).

The mk2 is hardly any better.  Yes, this one can't be beat by a Panther anymore, which is good, but despite the armored components it's still got the same amount of armor and structure, so its just as easy to flat out core, which many assualts like the Devistator or Hauptman or of course the Dire Wolf and Turkina are easily capable of doing before a single PPC, capacitor or no, can even breach their armor.

If you could use x pulse lasers to make aimed shots (as was possible when the Turtle was designed) it would make for a much more viable infighter, easily able to take an Atlas D or King Crab.  But, these days, its not really as potent as it probably should be.  Its only real value is drawing the attention of a top end Assualt for several turns, which can be important, but you can do that with a Spider or Ostscout or something quite nearly as well (honestly, the TAG Ostscout, if supported by a few Chaperals, would probably draw every bit as much fire as a Turtle from me).
"For my military knowledge, though I'm plucky and adventury,
Has only been brought down to the beginning of the century..."

Ghostbear_Gurdel

• Lieutenant
  • Live by the Sword...
« Reply #7 on: 27 July 2011, 02:05:05 »
However, the TAG spotter is actually useful and something you want to live for as long as possible. The Great Turtle on the other hand? meh, it's only role in life is damage sponge.
"The real question is, just how badly do you want to pound your opponent?  You can do things to your opponent with an ASF that are illegal in 39 states and 14 countries, and that's without even trying hard." - Paladin1
Member No. 3 of the JM6 haters club

ItsTehPope

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #8 on: 27 July 2011, 02:16:44 »
Now that said, if you wanted to be creative with the laws of phyics you can kick one out of the back of a dropship in upper atmosphere and it'll probably make it to the ground intact...
If you actually care to listen to my thoughts outside of Battletech, find me at www.uselessblot.com

(4:37:55 PM) moonsword134: You're a bastard.
(4:38:11 PM) moonsword134: And so's the talking whiskey monkey who lives in bottles of tequila to give you ideas.

(4:52:52 PM) ShinjoJinturi: simply by having tag on the field, even in a game that appears to not have any lrms or arrows on the board, you can inspire fear

ANS Kamas P81

• Colonel
« Reply #9 on: 29 July 2011, 18:23:20 »
Now that said, if you wanted to be creative with the laws of phyics you can kick one out of the back of a dropship in upper atmosphere and it'll probably make it to the ground intact...
At one hex above interface, yes.  Moony did the math.  It won't do much when it lands, but if you make the PSR, how much damage does a 10,000 level fall for a hundred ton 'mech do anyway?
Der Hölle Rache kocht in meinem Herzen,
Tod und Verzweiflung flammet um mich her!
Fühlt nicht durch dich Jadefalke Todesschmerzen,
So bist du meine Tochter nimmermehr!

Auren

• Lieutenant
  • Well.
« Reply #10 on: 29 July 2011, 20:45:33 »
Actually, it wouldn't take the falling damage due to having Jump Jets on a successful PSR.  }:)

Its just surviving the Interface Hex.

Moonsword

• Acutus Gladius
  • Global Moderator
  • Colonel
« Reply #11 on: 29 July 2011, 21:27:01 »
Well, yeah, but that takes all the fun out of it.

ANS Kamas P81

• Colonel
« Reply #12 on: 29 July 2011, 21:41:00 »
The point of the PSR is not to avoid falling damage.  The point of the PSR...is to aim.
Der Hölle Rache kocht in meinem Herzen,
Tod und Verzweiflung flammet um mich her!
Fühlt nicht durch dich Jadefalke Todesschmerzen,
So bist du meine Tochter nimmermehr!

Auren

• Lieutenant
  • Well.
« Reply #13 on: 29 July 2011, 22:51:05 »
...A Great Turtle performing a 10,000 level DFA?

Fallen_Raven

• Major
« Reply #14 on: 29 July 2011, 23:59:02 »
...A Great Turtle performing a 10,000 level DFA?

I think we may have found one of the WoB super weapons here.

...Can you do a jumpjet attack during a DFA attempt?
Subtlety is for those who lack a bigger gun.

The Battletech Forums: The best friends you'll ever fire high-powered weaponry at.-JadeHellbringer

Moonsword

• Acutus Gladius
  • Global Moderator
  • Colonel
« Reply #15 on: 30 July 2011, 00:17:30 »
No.

Register