Author Topic: Vehicle of the Week Update: Myrmidon  (Read 15530 times)

Moonsword

• Acutus Gladius
  • Global Moderator
  • Colonel
  • You interrupted me reading TROs for this?
Vehicle of the Week Update: Myrmidon
« on: 13 August 2011, 10:29:20 »
Vehicle of the Week Update: Myrmidon

(The original article is no longer available.)

This edition of Vehicle of the Week Updates is focused on the Myrmidon medium tank.  At 40 tons, it's on the small side as tanks go (the infamous Demolisher, Slayer of 'Mechs, is twice the size), but that tonnage is used efficiently, producing a superior budget line tank.  New Earth Trade Company, better known for the Karnov, built it to cash in on the arms market boost from the Clan Invasion and the Sarna March "tensions" as TRO3060 characterizes things.  A lot of them wound up on the Clan front with many of the others in the hands of different independent outfits in the Chaos March.  Judging from the MUL, they proliferated further after that, winding up in just about everyone's hands.  The heart of the Myrmidon is a 200 rated Nissan standard fusion engine, driving the treads at 5/8 across the battlefield with acceptable off-road potential and giving you 10 free heat sinks.  Those sinks are promptly invested in the use of a PPC in the turret, the same Parti-Kill as the Manticore, guaranteeing an instant stock of replacement parts.  To supplement this, an SRM 6 is also mounted on the turret, providing an excellent one-two punch or the option of using Infernos to kill other vehicles or infantry in an expeditious fashion. Choose wisely, though, since you've only got one ton of ammo.  Finally, the tank is wrapped in 9 tons of standard armor in a 35/25/24/35 configuration, almost prodigious for a tank this size and providing a very solid shell around the happy PPC/SRM goodness.  Appearing at the end of the 3050s, it's a shame this tank wasn't around for the Succession Wars, because with a pure Introductory/Level 1 rules load out, it would have fit in perfectly.  While it lacks the Vedette's ability to kill infantry without trading out its short-range weapon's ammo, it's similar in operational profile but packs a much better punch.  To stop it, immobilize it with the usual range of options (LB-Xs and SRMs, although Clanners might want to look at HAGs), then apply weapons fire until it stops firing back.

Two advanced technology variants of the Myrmidon have surfaced in recent years as the Jihad sweeps over the Inner Sphere.  The first and more generally useful (not to mention the one requiring fewer rules references at the table) is the Myrmidon P (Tate) in XTRO:Pirates.  The armor is replaced by LFF to free up a half-ton, while the main gun is replaced by a snub-nose PPC, marking this model as an in-fighter instead of the original's all-range jamboree with the mixture of a standard PPC (which knocks on the edge of long-range to many people) and SRM 6.  The punch line here is the replacement of the SRMs with six LMGs mounted in two arrays, fed by a full ton of ammo.  Okay, I know, nothing beyond tourney rules here yet, but each array is mounted in a sponson on either side of the tank for a 180 degree arc of fire independent of the turret and not a discrete hit location.  This is an urban warfare tank intended to deal with close-range attacks and infantry, no doubt about it.  Three LMGs is a fairly murderous amount of lead to get sprayed with, on average hit chopping off over a third of a platoon's manpower in a single round of fire, and as ambush weapons, snubbies are hard to beat.  The only known example of this variant is in the hands of a band of brutal thugs working with Breed's Brawlers and has also seen those same LMGs applied against innocent civilians fleeing a hospital.  Lovely fellows, huh?

The other version, apparently operating with the CCAF and termed the Myrmidon Type 2, is a little less conventional and distinctly less of a return to World War I (or a departure to Warhammer 40K, depending on your tastes).   Unlike Tate's variant, the engine is removed for a light fusion model (which means someone is spending an awful lot of time on this) that pushes the tank along at 6/9 but doubles the base cost.  The other changes are a bit less time consuming.  The armor is overhauled to standard ferro-fibrous, with the extra four points distributed on the sides, and the weapons fit was completely replaced.  The main gun is now a plasma rifle - not a bad choice at all, although three tons of ammo is probably overkill - while the SRMs were replaced by six mine layers.  Now, I have no particular objection in the abstract to someone providing us with a mine layer vehicle.  It's a useful combat role that's been around for centuries.  However, doing so by neutering your tanks is probably not the brightest idea you've ever had.  EarthWerks makes plenty of cargo trucks that can do this job.  To make the best of it, use these Myrmidons in combination with the normal version, and have them lay minefields at strategic points, then fall back using their superior speed.  They can also be a pain in the neck in urban warfare situations, laying mines in a reactive role as enemies move around while using the plasma rifle as a general anti-everything weapon.  (Author's Note: There was some dispute on this when the article was originally posted and my own views have moderated over time.  I still think the cost is kind of pricy for what you're doing but it's not that bad if you need a tactical minelayer.)

In the wake of the Jihad, Jalastar Aerospace on Panpour, a builder of the Manticore, found themselves told fairly bluntly to start building Myrmidons after licensing the design from NETC.  They dragged their heels to avoid competition with their RAC Manticores which operates in a related tactical niche, then pounced on reports of the P (Tate) with relish.  Mercenaries were sent to drag the tank in for study.  The end result didn't especially amuse the AFFS Department of the Quartermaster but certainly delighted Jalastar marketing types.  I'll describe this one in terms of the original to give you an idea of why Jalastar wound up cutting the AFFS a deal on Manticore sales for a while to make up for their agitation at this stunt.  The main gun is an Exostar ERLL.  You lose a bit of concentration but the range brackets are more workable so I'm inclined to shrug and move on as far as that's concerned; your opinions may vary.  The SRMs were replaced by a pair of triple LMG sponsons but unlike the P (Tate), they're not in arrays.  They're fed by a full ton of ammunition that makes me a little leery considering there's no CASE but that's not a new complaint by any means.

Personally, of the four, I still prefer the original - simple, durable, and capable.  But all three variants have their own solid roles and applications for the enterprising tank enthusiast.

References:  As usual, the Master Unit List has most of the variants covered but has yet to be updated for TRO: Prototypes at this time. CamoSpecs has two examples to peruse, both of them in the original PPC/SRM configuration.
« Last Edit: 14 August 2011, 06:08:30 by Moonsword »

Ian Sharpe

• Captain
Re: Vehicle of the Week Update: Myrmidon
« Reply #1 on: 13 August 2011, 14:16:18 »
The original is sublime; I have 40 of them of my non-canon mercs.  The variants don't really thrill me although I could see some uses for them. 

Baldur Mekorig

• Lieutenant
  • Join the Brotherhood, our mechs are cuter!
    • My Facebook
« Reply #2 on: 13 August 2011, 16:10:56 »
I love the original, and i wonder how it do not become to be during the SWs. The variants do not thrill me, but i think the capellan is a start. Get rid of those mine layer and SRM, or even MML.
Oh my brother, with your courage we can conquer,
In your sword I put my trust that you will honor
I will be the higher ground should you concede it
And my body be your shield if you should need it.

Moonsword

• Acutus Gladius
  • Global Moderator
  • Colonel
« Reply #3 on: 13 August 2011, 16:36:26 »
I love the original, and i wonder how it do not become to be during the SWs. The variants do not thrill me, but i think the capellan is a start. Get rid of those mine layer and SRM, or even MML.

Because no one did it.  No one sat down, looked at the Manticore, and said, "Hey, I wonder how this would do if we made it smaller?"  That's it.  You didn't really see a lot of innovation until 3010, then everything starts picking up as the Inner Sphere turned the corner on the devastation of the Succession Wars.  When it did, aside from the Lyrans, no one really focused on making better tanks for a while, they looked at making more of them while building better 'Mechs.

Jellico

• Spatium Magister
  • Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • BattleMechs are the lords of the battlefield
« Reply #4 on: 13 August 2011, 17:03:15 »

Because rare fusion engines are for 'Mechs, not tanks.

ANS Kamas P81

• Colonel
« Reply #5 on: 13 August 2011, 18:55:40 »
One thought that hits me is the Myrmidon minelayer being completely ignored as a (light) MBT, since the CCAF already has Pos out the po-po for that role.  But Pos are slows, and having a minelayer to keep your opponent from simply going around becomes a big help. Might also explain the plasma rifle - don't think of it as a weapon but as a flame-projector.  Park your Pos at the end of nice clean fire lanes, mine clear areas, and set forests on fire.  If I think of the Minelayer version as something to attack terrain directly and the enemy's mobility indirectly, rather than as a proper battle unit.  Explains the high ammo cap as well - shoot LOTS of trees that won't shoot back (unless it's Bismarckplanet), then just tootle back to base to reload.
Der Hölle Rache kocht in meinem Herzen,
Tod und Verzweiflung flammet um mich her!
Fühlt nicht durch dich Jadefalke Todesschmerzen,
So bist du meine Tochter nimmermehr!

chanman

• Major
  • Architect of suffering
« Reply #6 on: 13 August 2011, 21:35:48 »
One thought that hits me is the Myrmidon minelayer being completely ignored as a (light) MBT, since the CCAF already has Pos out the po-po for that role.  But Pos are slows, and having a minelayer to keep your opponent from simply going around becomes a big help. Might also explain the plasma rifle - don't think of it as a weapon but as a flame-projector.  Park your Pos at the end of nice clean fire lanes, mine clear areas, and set forests on fire.  If I think of the Minelayer version as something to attack terrain directly and the enemy's mobility indirectly, rather than as a proper battle unit.  Explains the high ammo cap as well - shoot LOTS of trees that won't shoot back (unless it's Bismarckplanet), then just tootle back to base to reload.

Hmm, wonder if they issue it to engineering units more than line units in that case...

Moonsword

• Acutus Gladius
  • Global Moderator
  • Colonel
« Reply #7 on: 14 August 2011, 06:10:04 »
They may, although this seems more like something intended to dash out, lay mines under fire, and then join its buddies on the line, supporting the flanks of other units.

Darrian Wolffe

• Master Sergeant
  • Starting over is hard to do...
    • Team Cincinnati BattleTech!
« Reply #8 on: 14 August 2011, 10:21:52 »
They may, although this seems more like something intended to dash out, lay mines under fire, and then join its buddies on the line, supporting the flanks of other units.

That was the role I envisioned for it, yes.  Although while using it, I thought it would be used more in the role that ANS mentioned, more to "shape" the battlefield to the user's advantage.  If I can crib from other systems (D&D), think of the Type 2 as a "battlefield control" spell, rather than direct damage or buffing/debuffing.
Every time a grognard comes to realise the game can't survive purely on his dog-eared copy of the Warrior Trilogy, duct-taped CityTech boxed set and personal sense of spite and has taken a tack of mild concern for the future marketability of the game...an angel gets its wings.

ANS Kamas P81

• Colonel
« Reply #9 on: 15 August 2011, 01:49:12 »
Hooray I got something right for once :D  "Tactical Engineering Vehicle" perhaps?  And yeah, I like the idea of a fast minelayer that can advance under fire and react to an enemy thrust, or to supplement a defending force - when your attacking unit is getting a lot of difficulty advancing, and suddenly has its retreat lines mined, the chance for surrender goes way up...

Viragos

• Recruit
« Reply #10 on: 15 August 2011, 06:20:46 »
One of my favorite custom variants of the Myrmidon (thanks to Fireangel's WIGE MBT's for the inspiration) is to downgrade the PPC to a light and tack on a flamer and a 3 ton infantry compartment.  Gives you an IFV that can pace your line tanks and contribute at the same ranges.

FedSunsBorn

• Captain
« Reply #11 on: 15 August 2011, 14:33:26 »
The original design is simply perfect in my book. I wouln't change a thing. The other versions I do not like so much though the idea of the minelayer seems like it could be a nasty surprise if used correctly.
Made by HikageMaru

Jim1701

• Captain
  • "Don't Panic"
« Reply #12 on: 17 August 2011, 15:56:33 »
The Myrmidon is one of my favorite tanks.  It's a little pricey BV-wise for a 40 ton tank though.  Recently I've been thinking of refitting a couple for my merc force to use as a vehicle hunter.  Replacing the PPC with a Plasma Rifle and IIRC replacing the armor with HFF gets me enough weight for a second ton of PR ammo. 

Moonsword

• Acutus Gladius
  • Global Moderator
  • Colonel
« Reply #13 on: 17 August 2011, 17:28:25 »
And the spare half-ton?

Jim1701

• Captain
  • "Don't Panic"
« Reply #14 on: 17 August 2011, 18:38:47 »
And the spare half-ton?

more armor of course.

Kamov

• Warrant Officer
  • It's time to end this ones and for all
« Reply #15 on: 19 August 2011, 00:31:32 »
The greatest thing about the Myrmidon is that it looks as good as it performs, so there's no reason not to field it.
(The above writing is entirely my opinion based upon my own incomplete knowledge of life, the universe, and everything beyond it and should be taken as such although I don't want to tell you what to do, because that's your right and your freedom to choose your own opinions and ablah blah blah legalese etc etc)

ANS Kamas P81

• Colonel
« Reply #16 on: 19 August 2011, 03:49:11 »
I also note that you can make a cute little "sniper" variant if you have the ERLLs laying around; swap one of those and two HS for the PPC to give someone the occasional "nasty surprise" at range.  Or swap the PPC with an LPL if you're in an urban environment, but at that point you have a Notagoblin anyway.

Dark_Falcon

• Warrant Officer
  • Over, under, or through.
« Reply #17 on: 19 August 2011, 13:59:49 »
I think the Myrmidon is to the Chaos March what the Scorpion tank is to worlds near the Periphery.  Despite the devastation suffered by worlds like New Earth and Epsilon Eredani, those worlds are still richer and have a far larger population than outer worlds.  As such, they attract more powerful threats and need something more powerful for their militias than the sort of tanks used in the Succession Wars.  For such worlds, the Myrmidon is a great fit.  It's more costly than ICE tanks, but if you've got the bucks its worth the price and that price is still low enough for the militia of a rich world to field them in numbers.
To the utmost!

Moonsword

• Acutus Gladius
  • Global Moderator
  • Colonel
« Reply #18 on: 19 August 2011, 14:23:29 »
I think the Myrmidon is to the Chaos March what the Scorpion tank is to worlds near the Periphery.

Not exactly.  In terms of what you're describing, it's really closer to the Vedette than the Scorpion, which is what you buy if you can't get Vedettes.  Beyond that, most of the production early on was purchased by the Lyran Alliance and sent to the Clan front, so I'm not sure whether it really was as common as you're implying.

Fireangel

• Major
  • 7397 posts right down the toilet...
« Reply #19 on: 19 August 2011, 16:30:34 »
One of my favorite custom variants of the Myrmidon (thanks to Fireangel's WIGE MBT's for the inspiration) is to downgrade the PPC to a light and tack on a flamer and a 3 ton infantry compartment.  Gives you an IFV that can pace your line tanks and contribute at the same ranges.

You're welcome.  O0

Dark_Falcon

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #20 on: 19 August 2011, 18:21:09 »
Not exactly.  In terms of what you're describing, it's really closer to the Vedette than the Scorpion, which is what you buy if you can't get Vedettes.  Beyond that, most of the production early on was purchased by the Lyran Alliance and sent to the Clan front, so I'm not sure whether it really was as common as you're implying.

Good point.  I hadn't thought about it that way.
To the utmost!

3rdCrucisLancers

• SAVAGE
  • Freelance Writer
  • Captain
  • Smallest star in the firmament
« Reply #21 on: 19 August 2011, 18:50:56 »
I also note that you can make a cute little "sniper" variant if you have the ERLLs laying around; swap one of those and two HS for the PPC to give someone the occasional "nasty surprise" at range. 

Yes, TREMBLE as it reaches out to nineteen hexes!
Fighter of the Nightman (ah-ah-ah)
Champion of the Sun (ah-ah-ah)

chanman

• Major
  • Architect of suffering
« Reply #22 on: 19 August 2011, 19:11:00 »
Hmm, how about this for a city variant? swap the PPC for the SNPPC and add a second ton of SRM ammo so you can pack on the specialty ammo goodness

Moonsword

• Acutus Gladius
  • Global Moderator
  • Colonel
« Reply #23 on: 19 August 2011, 19:13:20 »
Good point.  I hadn't thought about it that way.

I think you have a good idea there, don't get me wrong.  It was certainly an interesting comparison.

Hmm, how about this for a city variant? swap the PPC for the SNPPC and add a second ton of SRM ammo so you can pack on the specialty ammo goodness

Not a bad option.  Knowing you, I'm pretty sure it's going to be Infernos.

chanman

• Major
  • Architect of suffering
« Reply #24 on: 19 August 2011, 19:14:33 »
I think you have a good idea there, don't get me wrong.  It was certainly an interesting comparison.

Not a bad option.  Knowing you, I'm pretty sure it's going to be Infernos.

Infernos AND Frags! First you make hamburger, and then you flame grill it!

Or tandem-charge warheads if you need to give some mechs a bad day

JadeHellbringer

• Easily Bribed Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Colonel
  • Third time this week!
« Reply #25 on: 19 August 2011, 19:26:21 »
I'm intrigued by the mine version, actually. With that extra speed (not something I'm overly happy with, mind you- was 5/8 REALLY too slow, we needed to bump the price up this much to gain one movement point?), it can move in and drop mines at key points, preferrably in a group so you can put down a large field quickly. Having Fa Shih hang on the sides and hop off to assist in the job can only help the cause, as Fa Shih always do for any Capellan force. After the mines are spent, pick up any remaining Fa Shih, dash back to your own lines (or at least to a good cover position), and rain plasma down on anyone brave enough to try to find their way around the mines. This especially would work well with long-range-oriented Mechs with stealth armor covering the Myrmidons, such as Archers, Pillagers, or the upcoming Tian-Zong.

As for the original, well, what can be said that wasn't already? It's a solid, inexpensive little monster that should be a first priority for any mercenary force to get their hands on- at least a full platoon, if not more. Bang for your buck, after all. My one complaint, oddly, is with the miniature- the chassis feels like it's too tall, for some reason, so my collection still lacks Myrmidons. Maybe just personal preference there.

The Pirate version is entertaining- I'd love to see that become a standard-issue factory variant. Got infantry problems? No, not anymore you don't. Brought APCs too? We have a decent enough can opener for the job. Brought Battlemechs? Er... well, we brought several Myrmidons, so how many snub-nose shots can you take, pal? I'm a big fan of this vehicle, one of the hidden gems of the XTRO series actually.
"There's a difference between the soldier and his fight,
But the warrior knows the true meaning of his life."
+Larry and his Flask, 'Blood Drunk'+

"You know, basically war is just, like, a bunch of people playing pranks on each other, but at the end they all die."
+Crow T. Robot+

Moonsword

• Acutus Gladius
  • Global Moderator
  • Colonel
« Reply #26 on: 19 August 2011, 19:33:42 »
What are your thoughts on the ERLL-armed version Jalastar's building for the AFFS, then?

Fireangel

• Major
  • 7397 posts right down the toilet...
« Reply #27 on: 19 August 2011, 20:21:41 »
IMHO, if y'all are going to add a second ton of ammo for an SRM-6, you might as well swap out the SRM-6 for a pair of MML-3's.

Dark_Falcon

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #28 on: 19 August 2011, 21:29:07 »

Thanks.  One place I think the Myrmidon might be that thick on the ground is New Earth itself (at least pre-3078).   In the 3060's/3070's, NETC had a truly impressive vehicle production capacity, almost the same speed of production it had during the Star League, at least as I understand it.  They could likely turn out a 40 ton tank like the Myrmidon quite quickly. New Earth had 3 divisions of Protectorate Militia, which makes for quite a few tanks.
To the utmost!

3rdCrucisLancers

• SAVAGE
  • Freelance Writer
  • Captain
  • Smallest star in the firmament
« Reply #29 on: 19 August 2011, 21:58:43 »
What are your thoughts on the ERLL-armed version Jalastar's building for the AFFS, then?

I ****** hate it, speaking for myself. Why, God, why?
Fighter of the Nightman (ah-ah-ah)
Champion of the Sun (ah-ah-ah)

Register