Author Topic: Announcement : Mechcommander Omnitech Project  (Read 58020 times)

Starman001

• Private
Announcement : Mechcommander Omnitech Project
« on: 02 February 2011, 06:10:25 »
Hello Battletech Fans !

As one of you, I would like to make a little advertisment here, if you allow. A few Mechcommander fans and myself have teamed up for a combined effort to create a new Mechcommander Project. And since the community around this really great game is near extinction, I would like to make a few public announcements on , to bring back some life to it :) I have seen, that already a fan has made it here before me, which really makes me happy, because it's proofs my theory that there would be still a lot of interest in this game once it got awaken. So, without any further introduction, I would like to present you our latest news, together with the fully working alpha release download. Be sure to check out our moddb profil too for additional info and upgrades, or lurk around in our forum. Though I will also watch this thread of course, so if you have question, you can of course ask them here.

====================================

It's time for our next update, and as promised, this time it's a big one :) Magic has prepared his newest version of his Mechcommander 2.5 code, which is now being officially assimilated as the Mechcommander Omnitech Alpha build. Right at the start, I want to thank Magic for his outstanding work, and his agreement to join into our project here.

Here is the list of features which made it into the alpha build :

- ca. 75 different mechs (more than 90, if you take Clan variants into account). Retail Editor had only 29.
- ca. 70 vehicles (including variants) featuring different chopters, powered armor types or the vehicle probs movable. Retail had 34
- a different purchase system (different from what we plan, so this one is obsolete/outdated)
- Skill try for sensors and jumping based on current sensor and jumping skill value.
- Fall when failed jump skill.
- New resolution 1920x1080.
- Sensor specialty skill and Jump specialty skill are now obsolete.
- 4 existing sensor levels are based on sensor skill value.
- Jump distance reduced for heavier mechs, more tons - lesser jump distance.
- Unit roster is no longer sorted; you can change as you wish. That way you can shift damaged units back in formation and put undamaged in front.
- 6 formations available for now. Formation key is "K", press to cycle through formations.
- Mechs are free of object2.pak (object numbers start is at 1200).
- Number of polygons limit tripled.
- A modification of rollins message box implemented.
- All vehicles are free from object2.pak (object numbers start is at 2000).
- All buildings can be free from object2 (object numbers start is at 2500, original buildings will be left in object2)
- Set of Rollins buildings and some other buildings (i.e. a Mechhangar like in MW4)
- 5 new mechs (Fafnir and Lupus by Karl, Intruder and Thug by magic and MsdCat MkII by MCO team)?
- Number of potential abl commands doubled (was 256, now 512).
- Modified Mech purchase screen. New mech purchase simplified to the maximum, no memory consumption at all.
- Modified rollins message box added and accessible as abl command (for use in main mission abl file):
Code: [Select]
setTextMsg(0,"PROBE",10);
first parameter can be 0 or 1.
0 - instant message for the duration of number of seconds (10),
1 - rollins message box with press enter to continue, in this case third parameter should be 0.
Second parameter is text message. It should have no limit because it passes a pointer to string to underlying function.
Third is a number of seconds to display a message in case first is set to 0.

What's NEW in editor:
- Fixed many errors: dynamic memory allocation version conflict.
- New load for mechs, vehicles and buildings. It will load old MC2 way as well.
- Rollins resize bug fix implemented.
- Fixed 600 objects limit for buildings.[/i]

Note : Since it's based on the Source release, there are no videos being played, and no multiplayer is possible.

Campaigns included :

Magic's Exodus Campaign (vers.2.0)
A rebalanced version (a little harder) of the old Carver 5 campaign which uses the new units.
MW2 Mercs as a fully playable campaign with the duration to the end of Solaris games.

PROGRAM REQUIREMENTS
You will need Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 redistributable
(http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=A7B7A05E-6DE6-4D3A-A423-37BF0912DB84)
 and
XNA build for the editor (extract xna build and don't dbl click XNABuildSetup.exe. Dbl click XNA Build System.msi. It will install and report an error in the end about something missing. Just finish the install and it will be OK.
(http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/details.aspx?familyid=868fe562-5ded-4bb1-8648-708d3481bda3&displaylang=en)

Downloadlink (click image) :

Have fun !

Also, we are happy to annouce the launch of our own Moddb Site. Since we currently have no website (and I don't see this as prioritiy atm) I decided that moddb could be a good place, since it allows us to publish downloads, videos and an image gallery. Speaking of which, you should really go and check out the sweet images being uploaded there, which will give you an impression what the new look will be.

Here is an example, what you can find over there and what we are planing for the new game :

(Click to enlarge the images)

You can find the Moddb-Page right here: http://www.moddb.com/mods/mechcommander-omnitech If you have an account there, be sure to sign up as watcher of this project :)

Also, the download link is placed there atm. If anyone wants to mirror the files, he/she would be welcome.

Karl and Magic also worked hard and brought 5 complete new mechs to the game, more to follow. These mechs are still made in the current art style, but are definitly looking great ! Click the image for a larger view.

The last info for today is regarding our lod-system. First, I hoped that we will be able to implement a good working LOD-System into the code. After searching around a little, I noticed a few lod models from the old retail release, and some tries turned out,that the engine already has a pretty good lod system. Of course there is always room for improvement, but this system will allow us to continue the higher polygon model style that we already started and that are shown in the pics of the moddb gallery. In time, we will recreate everything, starting from small stuff over buildings and then the mechs themself. Still, no 30 K polygon mechs for you ;), but the look will enhance a lot so that you can choose with a near zoom and high detail play, or rather zoom out more for the strategic gameplay.

So, that's enough for today. Be sure to check out our recruiting post as well (see our forum stickies). We can always use coders (you can never have enough of those people around   ;) ) and UV-Mappers ( the last mostly, because I suck at creating good UV-Maps in Truespace for spherical objects) and 2D Artists. If you think you can provide some skills, send me your "batchall"

Cheers
Starman
« Last Edit: 04 February 2011, 06:55:37 by Starman001 »

Luciora

• Major
Re: Announcement : Mechcommander Omnitech Project
« Reply #1 on: 02 February 2011, 14:52:43 »
Is the Intruder a Klondike Shogun?

martian

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #2 on: 02 February 2011, 15:06:27 »
It's great!!! [applause]

I remember it was the first big change which improved 'Mechs and weapons from stock MC2. I used to have it installed before Wolfman's packs. I have just checked that I still have 8 Magic's files with those patches saved.

Be sure I will watch the progress with big interest.

Starman001

• Private
« Reply #3 on: 02 February 2011, 17:19:33 »
Is the Intruder a Klondike Shogun?

Nope. It a custom design made by my main programmer. It's supposed to be a davion variant of an omni and a mix between Loki and Thor. I do not know however, if he complety made it up, or if there is somewhere a reference.

OpacusVenatori

• Master Sergeant
  • Honor above all, Except of Vengance
« Reply #4 on: 03 February 2011, 09:06:57 »
As I said before the "black out", I am wishing good luck to this proyect. MC2 still one of the game wich I try to play at least once every 6 months. I would love to see new campaigns, Better in fact if this includes a Jihad campaign like the ones in the jihad source books.
 I give you a few considerations about what I would like to see:
 -Option to change names and/or pilots avatar (never liked the pilot videos during in-game.
 -If you want to add the celestials to the enginee, try the "infernus" variant of the series, they are great.
 Thanks for all this info  :)
While some fight with honor, Others win battles

Bedwyr

• A Sticky Wicket
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • RIP. Again. And again. And again.
« Reply #5 on: 03 February 2011, 09:09:25 »
Observing with interest.
Alas poor Photobucket. I knew him Horatio, a fellow of infinite jest, of most excellent fancy.

Starman001

• Private
« Reply #6 on: 03 February 2011, 12:33:38 »
Campaigns will also come. It's not our main goal, but me and karl and doing each one for himself one just for fun :) He is redoing MC1+Gold, and I'm doing something new. Chapter 1 is done and will be released shortly, and chapter 2 is nearly done, and will also be here in the near future

Besides, everyone can do, it's plain simple, as long as you can come up with a good story  ;)

wolftech

• Recruit
« Reply #7 on: 03 February 2011, 13:30:09 »
Very interesting - I like MC2 so I will have a look on this project.

pickledtezcat

• Corporal
« Reply #8 on: 03 February 2011, 21:57:25 »
Any plan to improve the AI?
Original MC2 had a terrible AI... It stopped me playing it eventually.

In my battletech themed game the AI checks for the optimal target once every 0.5 seconds, to see who is closest, or if the AI has an over-ride code set: [1]the toughest enemy mech, or [2]the nearest mech armed with long range weapons or [3] some objective the player has to protect. That gives my AI a good chance to fight intelligently~ though I do need to set up the correct over-rides depending on the mission.

In MC2 the AI would check only once for the nearest enemy and then follow it until either the enemy or the AI agent were dead. During that time it would ignore all other targets.

I figure if the game contains code to set a target and to find nearest target it shouldn't be too difficult to clear the set target every few seconds and run the find nearest target routine again. If you can add a filter to the find nearest routine that should allow other tactical options.

AI is the most important thing in a game without multiplayer so I hope you devote a good amout of time to just that issue.

Starman001

• Private
« Reply #9 on: 04 February 2011, 06:56:41 »
AI already has received some changes, and will get more in the future, don't worry :)

Brainburn

• Sergeant
  • You just made the list.
« Reply #10 on: 06 February 2011, 15:35:13 »
Is it possible to play with Win 7?
I tried installing from the .iso file and it wont let me install.
I am really wanting to play this again.

Brainburn

Starman001

• Private
« Reply #11 on: 06 February 2011, 16:55:18 »
Honestly, I'm not sure. I have to ask our coder. But I think he is using XP, just like me, and another one is playing on vista, works well. On the other side, until now I haven't received any information that W7 is not playing MC2.

Besides, there is no *.iso file in our download, it's a selfextracting exe, and you need the additional downloads from MS to make it work. So if you have an *.iso file, what are you installing ?

Kwic

• Sergeant
« Reply #12 on: 08 February 2011, 11:51:47 »
I ran it on Windows 7.  You need to install the 2 other files from Microsoft to get it to work.

Will this version run all of the MC2 missions that have been otherwise generated by the community?

Matt.C

• Corporal
  • Davion '25
« Reply #13 on: 09 February 2011, 16:32:53 »
Is there a way to bump the resolution to 1920?
“You know, Todd, when we're alone, and I'm talking out loud... It's kinda for YOUR benefit. I already know the stuff I'm saying.”
-Charlie Davies; Outsourced S01E12 - Sari, Charlie

Starman001

• Private
« Reply #14 on: 09 February 2011, 17:34:25 »
Will this version run all of the MC2 missions that have been otherwise generated by the community?

Unfortunately not, if they are not ported over (which isn't that hard in the first place, though balancing might then be a problem). Currently we are still very much compatible with the old MC2, but we will soon leave that due to the engine and graphic updates.

Is there a way to bump the resolution to 1920?

Hm, magic said he implemented it, though I can't see it in the options. But I'm the last person on this planet still using a CRT :) Since you asked, I supposed you cannot see it either. I will talk to magic and see that it will be fixed in the next release.

Col.Hengist

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Konrad ' Hengist " Littman Highlander 732b
« Reply #15 on: 09 February 2011, 19:19:02 »
So we can play this on win xp?
Lyran Commonwealth,6th Donegal Guards-Nightstar
Marian Hegemony, II Legio-Cataphract
Clan Hell's Horses, Gamma Galaxy-Summoner
Clan Grinch goat- gamma goat.

Starman001

• Private
« Reply #16 on: 09 February 2011, 20:22:44 »
Yep, works flawless. I'm using XP myself.

martian

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #17 on: 10 February 2011, 00:35:30 »
It works good, but not exactly flawless.

I have problems with MechLab. It started around "Mission: Legion" and it's getting worse. I can hardly strip 'Mechs of weaponry before I sell them, so I must sell them even with Weapon systems or Heats sink I would otherwise keep. For example I open the 'Mech configuration window, select weapon and click "Remove". Two or three weapons are removed, but when I click on third item, the whole window turns black and the game crashes. So now I am selling intact 'Mechs to continue forward. That means that I cannot customize 'Mechs neither.

Starman001

• Private
« Reply #18 on: 10 February 2011, 09:07:03 »
Well, "Flawless" might not be the correct word :) But then again, it's just an "Alpha" Build, don't forget that. Alpha means, playable, but not even close to a beta (which still contains many bugs).  ;)

Regarding your problem, we know that the purchase system is quite unstable. That's the reason why this will be completly redesigned. It was worst, but we were able to fix it a little so that we could release the alpha. Maybe at some point, the current system can no longer handle the growing inventory. Sorry for the inconvinience

Matt.C

• Corporal
  • Davion '25
« Reply #19 on: 10 February 2011, 11:42:38 »
You can also get multiple Bushwackers in the Carver V campaign. If you select the Bushwacker and quickly hit "Purchase", you get more and more of them, even though the other Mechs in the sell-inventory disappear an only one Bushwacker was available for purchase.

And, yes, I can't seem to find resolutions beyond 1600*X. Which is fine enough, but I'm using a two-monitor setup, and this distorts the stuff on my second monitor. I often keep it on with Thunderbird running, to stay on-top of important emails.
“You know, Todd, when we're alone, and I'm talking out loud... It's kinda for YOUR benefit. I already know the stuff I'm saying.”

Starman001

• Private
« Reply #20 on: 10 February 2011, 18:16:50 »
There are more holes in the current logistics than just this one :) Another reason, why it get's an overhaul. It will take a while, but at least it's getting worked on :)

BTW, how long do I have to enter a captcha when posting new replies ? This is really starting to go on my nerves :-\

martian

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #21 on: 11 February 2011, 00:24:21 »
Captcha is for first 10 posts only, so you need just 1 more. And as for the Logistics screen, it could be nice, if you change it the way it was in MCG. Because now I must create a new variant even for stripped 'Mechs I only want to sell.

Starman001

• Private
« Reply #22 on: 11 February 2011, 06:17:46 »
Our plan with the logistic is this :

Change the mechlab technic to something like MW4. That means hardpoints per bodypart, and they will receive restrictions for ballistic, energy, missile and neutral.

Of course a better handling of the sell/purchase stuff and better inventory with stacked items.

No automatic repair for mechs (like MC1), that will also increase the economic part a bit :)

OpacusVenatori

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #23 on: 11 February 2011, 08:56:54 »
Change the mechlab technic to something like MW4. That means hardpoints per bodypart, and they will receive restrictions for ballistic, energy, missile and neutral.

Great! this will control that abuse of the PPC bouts. IIRC the zeus could carry 5 or 6 ppc.

elf25s

• Major
« Reply #24 on: 22 February 2011, 15:17:24 »
Is it possible to play with Win 7?
I tried installing from the .iso file and it wont let me install.
I am really wanting to play this again.

Brainburn

yes it is possible to play original mc2 even without emulation same goes for wolfmans SA missions
the minimum for win 7 to make sure you are able to do so is to run it in proffesional or higher since regular home edition does not really support backward compatibility .
« Last Edit: 22 February 2011, 16:10:48 by elf25s »
you sure cannot out run death...but sure as hell you can make that bastard work for it!

OpacusVenatori

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #25 on: 24 February 2011, 22:21:40 »
when I run the program, the game don't start and tell me about a MSVCR100.dll missed.

Matt.C

• Corporal
  • Davion '25
« Reply #26 on: 25 February 2011, 04:29:17 »
Did you follow this instruction from the OP:

PROGRAM REQUIREMENTS
You will need Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 redistributable
(http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=A7B7A05E-6DE6-4D3A-A423-37BF0912DB84)

?

OpacusVenatori

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #27 on: 25 February 2011, 16:02:33 »
Miss that, thank you, Downloading now

EDIT:
 Working now, very attractive but, why we have a Mad Dog and a Vulture that are equals except in the model design? (I mean same armor, speed and weapon load)

EDIT-02:
 While playing the campaign, some maps have a few "holes" in his geography.
« Last Edit: 25 February 2011, 20:58:23 by OpacusVenatori »

Starman001

• Private
« Reply #28 on: 26 February 2011, 05:08:09 »
Sofar, it's a collection of units :) The Mad Dog is the original, and the Vulture is the MW4 variant. Timber Wolf is also doubled, one is the original, and the second has a few more polygons. It will change sooner or later :)

What do you mean with "Holes" ? Could you please post me a screenshot so that I can take a look at it ?

OpacusVenatori

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #29 on: 26 February 2011, 16:58:57 »
By holes I mean some Craters in the map that do not were there, and you could see the layer were the map were builded. Unfortunatelly I could repeat the graphic bug, so no screen. May be it was a graphic error of my own computer.

I also found this: When Claymore reach regular experience, he gains a skill. But he already have a regular skill, to be specific the "thougnes" skill. So, by default, when you reach the final level, you could not pick one of them.