Poll

Which are the ones that you like?  Which ones make sense to you?

6-legged 150 tonners, and 8-legged 200 tonners - basically, two mechs welded together.
0 (0%)
Permanent AirMechs - a LAM stuck in AirMech mode, without conversion gear but suffer the penalties all the time.  Heavy PAMs between 60-75 tons are possible and follow the same rules, but have only x2 jump.
6 (11.1%)
FighterShips - Small craft between 110-200 tons, they use twin fusion engines.  They're used for air superiority, tanker, anti-WS (carries a single cap missile in an internal bay) , bombers, etc.
2 (3.7%)
Extra-Light Mechs - the IS-tech equivilant of Protomechs; between 11-19 tons with 'open' cockpit, engine, gyro.  They follow most of the rules for Protos, but although they have fewer locations, they don't have the 'Near Miss' opt
4 (7.4%)
Portable Turrets - literally, a turret mounted on a set of hydraulic legs to stabilize and balance it.  5-10 ton turrets can be remote operated, but 15-20 ton ones might be manned or drones.
5 (9.3%)
'Follow-me's - wheeled/tracked vehicles that use drone tech to maintain a set distance between an emitter and the drone.  I imagine it would carry a generater for recharging battlearmor, drive ammo carriers, or carry LRM artillery for support.
1 (1.9%)
Hardpoints - since mechs can carry 10% of their weight in their hands, a HP carries weapon/ammo (MG and ammo, HS, coolant pods - but nothing over 1 ton.
4 (7.4%)
Stilts - a purely mechanical way to increase ground speed, mostly on quads or the >100 tonners.  They may be extended 'bones' between leg actuators or attached to the leg like normal stilts.
0 (0%)
Armor Rescue Pods - basically, an armored component from TO that protects vehicle crews.  (I wanted a way to explain elite vehicle crews.)
1 (1.9%)
ER-TAG - a 7/14/21 weapon to povide a longer-ranged spotter.  I figured why not, they can make ER lasers.
10 (18.5%)
Cassette Missile System - a trailer mounted system to replace missile carriers.  Each Cassette holds a third of a ton of missiles (32/34/34 SRMs), and fires in 2/5/ALL increments.
1 (1.9%)
Point-C3 System - 2 tons, links a single pair of vehicles/AS fighters.
0 (0%)
Jump Point Missile/Mine system - a set of cap missiles with rad/meteor shield, fires at incoming JS guided by a base station or on bearings from the radiation wave until it 'sees' a target.
0 (0%)
White Phosphorus LB-X ammo - if they're submunitions, why can't they be incendiary spikes of death?
3 (5.6%)
TAG-guided ELRMs - the same rules for TAG-LRMs.
2 (3.7%)
Anti-ECM Missiles - anti-radiation missiles, they home on the radar signals or ECM emitters rather than use the launcher's targeting information.
2 (3.7%)
HAG-style AP Gauss - a version of the Clan AP Gauss that gets the HAG treatment.  The capacitors blow up when it gets hit, like a full size Guass rifle.
0 (0%)
Thunderbolt-TOW - a wire-guided thunderbolt missile - something like a teleoperated cap missile.
7 (13%)
TAG-guided bombs - perfect for dive bombing.
6 (11.1%)

Total Members Voted: 54

Author Topic: Adaptions of RL military technology to Battletech  (Read 7437 times)

Red Pins

• Major
  • Inspiration+Creativity=Insanity
Re: Adaptions of RL military technology to Battletech
« Reply #30 on: 02 June 2011, 09:30:06 »
...I decided T-bolt-5's were too small, despite being closest to the original TOW missile, and to shrink the ammo rather that anything else.  I also added a single crit to their launcher, so the -10, -15, and -20 is a little bigger than standard.  I have to play with it some more, maybe do a game with it.  Things are just nuts, I have so many things to do, I'm already wishing for winter and -40.

Gauss Repeaters are AP Gauss with the extra capacitors of Clan HAGs, the same with the Naval Gauss rifles.

Arrow V's uses tandem charge warheads.  Same warhead.

... and the idea of not improving the K-F drive for so long, its about time.  I have about 200 years - my guys make round trips to the Clan Homeworlds and back; a better drive would help.  I'm thinking 40-50 LY a jump, not 30.  Takes a little longer to recharge though, but I still need to think about it.

I got the idea for the Jump Point mines from the Weber book, Heirs of empire - all you have to do is disrupt the jump field by a bit - and Jumpships generate a field before arriving.  >Poof< (Jumpship arrives) "Arr, me hearties!"  (Missiles begin arriving)  "Mommy!"  (Mushroom cloud)  >Poof<
...Visit the Legacy Cluster...
The New Clans:Volume One
Clan Devil Wasp * Clan Carnoraptor * Clan Frost Ape * Clan Surf Dragon * Clan Tundra Leopard
Work-in-progress; The Blake Threat File
Now with MORE GROGNARD!  ...I think I'm done.  I've played long enough to earn a pension, fer cryin' out loud!  IlClan and out in <REDACTED>!
TRO: 3176 Hegemony Refits - the 30-day wonder

Khymerion

• Captain
    • The Iron Hack
« Reply #31 on: 02 June 2011, 15:07:18 »
I was more afraid of them being the mines from another Weber book, Crusade and Insurrection.  Those terrify me about as much as the ones from Heirs of Empire.
"Any sufficiently rigorously defined magic is indistinguishable from technology."  - Larry Niven... far too appropriate at times here.

...but sometimes making sure you turn their ace into red paste is more important than friends.

Do not offend the chair leg of truth.  It is wise and terrible.

The GM is only right for as long as the facts back him up.

mechwarriorgarya

• Master Sergeant
  • Commanding man and machine since '94
« Reply #32 on: 02 June 2011, 21:06:52 »
Oh gosh, I couldn't read through all the options, I vote Neko.
One Species, One Realm - translation: Live by The League or Die by The League
Between the fall of the ancient Star League and the rise of the heirs of Steiner Davion there was an age undreamed of...

Red Pins

• Major
« Reply #33 on: 03 June 2011, 00:19:35 »
Oh gosh, I couldn't read through all the options, I vote Neko.

...?  Neko?
Clan Devil Wasp * Clan Carnoraptor * Clan Frost Ape * Clan Surf Dragon * Clan Tundra Leopard
Now with MORE GROGNARD!  ...I think I'm done.  I've played long enough to earn a pension, fer cryin' out loud!  IlClan and out in <REDACTED>!

FedComGirl

• Major
« Reply #34 on: 03 June 2011, 07:09:38 »
...I decided T-bolt-5's were too small, despite being closest to the original TOW missile, and to shrink the ammo rather that anything else.  I also added a single crit to their launcher, so the -10, -15, and -20 is a little bigger than standard.  I have to play with it some more, maybe do a game with it.  Things are just nuts, I have so many things to do, I'm already wishing for winter and -40.

So they're not Thunderbolt Launchers then?

Gauss Repeaters are AP Gauss with the extra capacitors of Clan HAGs, the same with the Naval Gauss rifles.

Okay?

Arrow V's uses tandem charge warheads.  Same warhead.

Okay?

... and the idea of not improving the K-F drive for so long, its about time.  I have about 200 years - my guys make round trips to the Clan Homeworlds and back; a better drive would help.  I'm thinking 40-50 LY a jump, not 30.  Takes a little longer to recharge though, but I still need to think about it.

There's two versions the safer one has a range of 120 light years. The WoB has a range of 1,200 or so but its a one way trip. Both have lots of penalties though and the safer one takes twice as long to charge. They're in Jihad Conspiracies and Hot Spots 3076.

I got the idea for the Jump Point mines from the Weber book, Heirs of empire - all you have to do is disrupt the jump field by a bit - and Jumpships generate a field before arriving.  >Poof< (Jumpship arrives) "Arr, me hearties!"  (Missiles begin arriving)  "Mommy!"  (Mushroom cloud)  >Poof<

Sounds interesting.

Red Pins

• Major
« Reply #35 on: 03 June 2011, 09:51:40 »
So they're not Thunderbolt Launchers then?
Modified to be wire guided.  Otherwise, yeah.

There's two versions the safer one has a range of 120 light years. The WoB has a range of 1,200 or so but its a one way trip. Both have lots of penalties though and the safer one takes twice as long to charge. They're in Jihad Conspiracies and Hot Spots 3076.
...Sorry, this one is definitely going to be a house rule, I don't like either canon version.  I'm still thinking about what, exactly, should be changed besides extending the range.  Mass will probably increase by some amount, charging time will increase so that 2 jumps with the improved system would take as long as three of the old ones but for a longer distance.

FedComGirl

• Major
« Reply #36 on: 03 June 2011, 11:01:43 »
Modified to be wire guided.  Otherwise, yeah.

Okay?

...Sorry, this one is definitely going to be a house rule, I don't like either canon version.  I'm still thinking about what, exactly, should be changed besides extending the range.  Mass will probably increase by some amount, charging time will increase so that 2 jumps with the improved system would take as long as three of the old ones but for a longer distance.

The safer one weighs 2% more than the standard one.

Red Pins

• Major
« Reply #37 on: 04 June 2011, 00:50:59 »
Thanks!

FedComGirl

• Major
« Reply #38 on: 04 June 2011, 08:11:14 »
:)