Author Topic: Power is a goal. Pleasure is eternal. Welcome to Canopus.  (Read 210849 times)

ANS Kamas P81

• Colonel
Power is a goal. Pleasure is eternal. Welcome to Canopus.
« on: 26 January 2011, 07:55:03 »
Be nice to the catgirls, most of them are officers and a rare few are Ebon Magistrate.  And they all have bigger 'Mechs than you do.

So...did anyone happen to copy down any of the salient points from the last big discussion thread, before the crash?  There was some good stuff; I know I did a lot of data mining and I'm a little annoyed it's gone, since I didn't save it here.  Most of it anyway, the hard numbers I managed to keep - posted below.

I can't wait to see ER62, because that's going to put a lot of stuff on the map as far as the MAF is concerned.  There's a lot that changed, from dribs and drabs of LCTs, STGs, WSPs, and SHDs in the Objective Raids book (dated 3057 I believe) to becoming the south end industrial powerhouse, all starting when Sunny dumped Isis Marik like a used Kardashian and went looking for something more useful.  And of course the MUL, when/if that ever exists.

Remember, open in Excel, as Comma Separated.
Der Hölle Rache kocht in meinem Herzen,
Tod und Verzweiflung flammet um mich her!
Fühlt nicht durch dich Jadefalke Todesschmerzen,
So bist du meine Tochter nimmermehr!

Coyote_808

• Master Sergeant
  • 101st Reserve Battle Cluster, Zeta Galaxy, CCy
Re: Power is a goal. Pleasure is eternal. Welcome to Canopus.
« Reply #1 on: 26 January 2011, 08:00:43 »
I blame icchan for this strange thread title.  <.<

We are just watching the younger generation Warriors plan.  It gives the older ones of the Clan
time to pause and reflect on the future.  Well, that and I think we ran out of food in the Den... - Blackhorse 6

Decoy

• Captain
« Reply #2 on: 26 January 2011, 08:01:23 »
Nothing is bad about STGs, WSPS, LCTS, and SHDS! Trust me!

ANS Kamas P81

• Colonel
« Reply #3 on: 26 January 2011, 08:05:18 »
Nothing bad indeed!  But it's like making the late-1970s models of the VW bug, the Minibus, the Squareback, and Toyota Hiluxes, then boostrapping up to Chevy Volts.  They're good machines, just little; my biggest complaint was the low production rate.  I want to see how the industrial side of things grew, and get an idea what appeared when in the MAF - or if they just blew all the loose cash floating around (see also invoices for things mentioned in thread titles) on stuff from the FWL in the earlier days.

Decoy

• Captain
« Reply #4 on: 26 January 2011, 08:09:52 »
The way I understand it happened, was that the Confederation concentrated their gifts to the units fighting in the Chaos March and the St. Ives Compact. I would guess it would be the left over FWL equipment. There would be little use for that stuff with the Xin Sheng movement.

I guess I show my Battletech age when I can't really see any Mechwarrior refusing a 'mech under any situation ><

Coyote_808

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #5 on: 26 January 2011, 08:15:00 »
The way I understand it happened, was that the Confederation concentrated their gifts to the units fighting in the Chaos March and the St. Ives Compact. I would guess it would be the left over FWL equipment. There would be little use for that stuff with the Xin Sheng movement.

I guess I show my Battletech age when I can't really see any Mechwarrior refusing a 'mech under any situation ><

In that case, I have a Vulcan that could use a pilot...  ;)

We are just watching the younger generation Warriors plan.  It gives the older ones of the Clan
time to pause and reflect on the future.  Well, that and I think we ran out of food in the Den... - Blackhorse 6

Kit deSummersville

• Precentor of Lies
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • The epicness continues!
    • Insights and Complaints on Twitter
« Reply #6 on: 26 January 2011, 08:21:04 »

That is what the commander of the 1st Light Horse pilots.
Looking for an official answer? Check the Catalyst Interaction Forums.

Freelancer for hire, not an official CGL or IMR representative.

Everyone else's job is easy, so tell them how to do it, everyone loves that!

Millard Fillmore's favorite BattleTech writer.

Coyote_808

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #7 on: 26 January 2011, 08:24:24 »

That is one serious bad ***!  :D

ArcaneRaven

• Lieutenant
« Reply #8 on: 26 January 2011, 08:59:46 »
Hi fellow Canopians!  :)

In case you missed it, just befor the old board got crushed, I asked Herb in the official section about FW:P and a possible JTP:Canopus IV. He answered that the Manual will be made available as pdf archive and that there are no plans to make a JTP:Canopus yet, but that he certainly doesn't preclude it for future products.

I have some questions for you. :)

(1) About the Canopian nobility
I know they're divided into the Froness (old families), Durachi (merchant princes, new money) and the Girin (artists, scientists, politicians and the like). But what about the noble titles as such? Do they use the same system like most others with Duke/Marquess/Count/Vicecount/Baron/Baronet and so forth? And if so, is every level availabe to every section of the Canopian nobility?

(2) The possible Canopian Feng Huang-class cruiser
Any hints on her name? Or the prefix of the Canopian Navy? My favourite would be MSS Kossandra.

(3)And on the Navy in general
What shipyards do we have in the Magistracy? And which Assault DropShips or - do I dare to ask of - Pocket WarShips do we produce?

Thank you!

Moonsword

• Acutus Gladius
  • Global Moderator
  • Colonel
  • You interrupted me reading TROs for this?
« Reply #9 on: 26 January 2011, 09:50:24 »
Any hints on her name? Or the prefix of the Canopian Navy? My favourite would be MSS Kossandra.

All of the information I'm familiar with indicates five hulls of that class were built.  Three of them were taken out in the Jihad - Field Report: CCAF is unequivocal about that.  There may have been six scheduled, but both FR: CCAF and TRO3067 speak only of five before the Jihad, with the WarShip yards taken out rather decisively.  I rather doubt that in the middle of the Jihad, the Capellans, who were getting hammered on two different fronts, would've said, "Hey, have a WarShip!" to anyone.  Asigning one on a short-term basis, maybe, but not just handing one over.

What shipyards do we have in the Magistracy? And which Assault DropShips or - do I dare to ask of - Pocket WarShips do we produce?

AAG is building fighters on Marantha, with the Troika line on Detroit.  Majesty Metals and Manufacturing is building Leopards on Dunianshire, but probably not the one with the capital missiles.  That appears to be it for major Canopian aerospace manufacturing.

ArcaneRaven

• Lieutenant
« Reply #10 on: 26 January 2011, 09:59:41 »
All of the information I'm familiar with indicates five hulls of that class were built.  Three of them were taken out in the Jihad - Field Report: CCAF is unequivocal about that.  There may have been six scheduled, but both FR: CCAF and TRO3067 speak only of five before the Jihad, with the WarShip yards taken out rather decisively.  I rather doubt that in the middle of the Jihad, the Capellans, who were getting hammered on two different fronts, would've said, "Hey, have a WarShip!" to anyone.  Asigning one on a short-term basis, maybe, but not just handing one over.

Yes, I'm aware that the sixth cruiser was only planned and never built. But I love to guess what her name might have been.  :)

AAG is building fighters on Marantha, with the Troika line on Detroit.  Majesty Metals and Manufacturing is building Leopards on Dunianshire, but probably not the one with the capital missiles.  That appears to be it for major Canopian aerospace manufacturing.

Thank you!

Moonsword

• Acutus Gladius
  • Global Moderator
  • Colonel
« Reply #11 on: 26 January 2011, 10:01:59 »
No problem and I can sympathize on "might have beens".  I'd really like to have seen where the aerospace environment might have gone without the Jihad but with the existing design trends in PWSes acting as a tier of power between major combatants (destroyers and up) and more classic assault designs.  That would have been interesting.

ShockaTime

• Captain
« Reply #12 on: 26 January 2011, 13:04:12 »
Cool! Nice to see the Canopian thread up an running again!

Spirit Never Dies - Second Spirit Chasseurs - Clan Blood Spirit
Raven Alliance

Batman

• Warrant Officer
  • You have the ability to instill great fear
« Reply #13 on: 26 January 2011, 14:04:55 »
There was a Canopian hangout before? I never got the memo.

Daishi411

• Captain
« Reply #14 on: 26 January 2011, 14:26:01 »
it was called crimson tide, started by Jim, but new ones are always cool!
"Warriors, not war machines, are the backbone of the Hell's Horses. While others worship the BattleMech as the ultimate weapon, the men and women of this Clan see even this awesome piece of technology as the tool it is. We have held to this philosophy since the days of our first Khan, who knew that the value of the common soldier far outstripped the brute force of the BattleMech. It is one reason our Clan possesses fewer mechs than most, and has led many to underestimate our fierceness and courage. Our survival against all challengers when others have fallen proves the folly of such arrogance, and testifies to the wisdom of our founders."
- saKhan Tanya Delaurel
Star Captain Logan Cobb-666th Assault War Cluster, Star Commander Octavian-The Thunder Heart Cluster

Batman

• Warrant Officer
  • You have the ability to instill great fear
« Reply #15 on: 26 January 2011, 15:46:39 »
Well then ye gotcherself a new scallywag for this wee pirate kingdom.

ANS Kamas P81

• Colonel
« Reply #16 on: 26 January 2011, 17:33:26 »
The only pirates we have are the Halloween costumers.

Hm, now here's a question.  Will ER62 comment further on the formation of the Ebon Magistrate?  That could well be fascinating...

Moonsword

• Acutus Gladius
  • Global Moderator
  • Colonel
« Reply #17 on: 26 January 2011, 17:38:53 »
I... don't know.  I'm interested to find out, though.

jimdigris

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #18 on: 26 January 2011, 18:20:09 »
Hi fellow Canopians!  :)

Thank you!
I don't think the Cappies will be selling us any warships given their warship and shipyard deficit.  We don't have any shipyards of note.  We build Leopards, but all other yards in the Magistracy seem to be repair yards.

Moonsword

• Acutus Gladius
  • Global Moderator
  • Colonel
« Reply #19 on: 26 January 2011, 18:22:53 »
Keeping things running is an excellent starting point to building out to your own construction.  It might be plausible to get the Aurora plans somehow, which wouldn't be too out of reach for a Leopard yard.

Decoy

• Captain
« Reply #20 on: 26 January 2011, 18:36:23 »
Given the way the Aurora is constructed, I think everybody has Aurora plans by now.

Medron Pryde

• Captain
  • Life's a beach, enjoy the sand between your toes
    • P.R.I.
« Reply #21 on: 26 January 2011, 20:02:11 »
Very possible.

Also, if you can build Leopards, you CAN build the new Leopards.  CAN.  Doesn't mean DO.  ;)
Col Medron Pryde - DropShip Irregulars - Phoenix Hawk LAM - A Proud Browncoat

RSM Regstav Pryde - Battle Corps Legion - BattleMaster BLR-K4
Angel Strike - They thought they'd killed us.  They were wrong.  We struck back...
Pryde Rock Industries - Your Source for awesome BattleTech programs
My Deviant Art Page
Jack of Harts - updated daily
Strike Force - a fanmade RPG supplement for Alpha Strike

Moonsword

• Acutus Gladius
  • Global Moderator
  • Colonel
« Reply #22 on: 26 January 2011, 20:03:19 »
The upgraded model, possibly.  I'm not sure the Magistracy has a reliable source for the capital missile components needed for the PWS variant.

Medron Pryde

• Captain
  • Life's a beach, enjoy the sand between your toes
    • P.R.I.
« Reply #23 on: 26 January 2011, 20:36:36 »
It's a missile the size of a fighter with a semi-guided brain.

We're not talking...waitaminute...actually we ARE talking rocket science....in a world where FUSION science is the norm.  ;)
Col Medron Pryde - DropShip Irregulars - Phoenix Hawk LAM - A Proud Browncoat

RSM Regstav Pryde - Battle Corps Legion - BattleMaster BLR-K4
Angel Strike - They thought they'd killed us.  They were wrong.  We struck back...
Pryde Rock Industries - Your Source for awesome BattleTech programs
My Deviant Art Page
Jack of Harts - updated daily
Strike Force - a fanmade RPG supplement for Alpha Strike

ANS Kamas P81

• Colonel
« Reply #24 on: 26 January 2011, 20:47:22 »
Frankly I'll take plans and a factory to keep all those Dictators we got our hands on happy, and add a few more.  It may still be an overarmed Higgins boat, but it's a nice one nonetheless.

RAE

• Sergeant
  • Capellan Confederation: Deadly Stylish
« Reply #25 on: 27 January 2011, 00:10:08 »

Emma Centrella piloted one in her yonger years. Then again, this was the time her mother wanted her dead...

"Everything falls if it gets hit hard enough. I'll just have to make sure it don't get up again"
- Marcus Barton, Colonel, 2nd MAC

ArcaneRaven

• Lieutenant
« Reply #26 on: 27 January 2011, 08:24:39 »
I'm still hoping to get an answer to my question regarding Canopian nobility made earlier in this thread.  :)

Moonsword

• Acutus Gladius
  • Global Moderator
  • Colonel
« Reply #27 on: 27 January 2011, 08:34:48 »
Emma Centrella piloted one in her yonger years. Then again, this was the time her mother wanted her dead...

Vulcans are pretty decent if they're used intelligently.  That AC/2 will keep you out of the middle of a scrap in 3025-land, at least, and it's fast enough to outrun most of the things that outgun it.  Not a bad 'Mech for a light or medium commander.

I'm still hoping to get an answer to my question regarding Canopian nobility made earlier in this thread.  :)

If I had one, I'd give it to you.  Unfortunately, I don't.

ArcaneRaven

• Lieutenant
« Reply #28 on: 27 January 2011, 09:28:25 »
No problem, Moonsword. It seems to me, there hasn't been much fluff publicated about the periphery states. But I don't know for sure, since I'm only recently interested into it. I only got HB:MPS and there this issue is not dealt with in depth. I somehow thought that periphery fans who are longer here than I would know more about it.

Moonsword

• Acutus Gladius
  • Global Moderator
  • Colonel
« Reply #29 on: 27 January 2011, 09:31:08 »
The older Periphery books might have more, although one of them (I forget which) is an error-prone trap that needs to be carefully checked against other sources before use.

Register