Author Topic: Terrain Hex Pack in progress  (Read 170943 times)

NeonKnight

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Cause Them My Initials!
Re: Terrain Hex Pack in progress - Download archive added
« Reply #60 on: 05 December 2013, 14:23:52 »
I see what you meen..I planned it to be a sepetate brige hex, but forgot to cut it away  ;)
So briges are not good for mechs anyway?
Also, how would be a hex with destroyed mech or tank marked? Rough? Or leave it empty?

Bridges are great for mechs (provided heavy enough), but if the water is depth 1 at the bridge (as there is no depth marker there) then is simply costs the Mech 1 point of movement anyways.

As to what type of terrain a destroyed mech makes....I remember seeing something in one of the books, I just cannot remember where.
AGENT #575, Vancouver Canada

Whitar

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #61 on: 05 December 2013, 15:51:21 »
In TW I saw that a hex with a brige is not marked, no depht or brige hardness indication. Maybe I missed this? How should it be marked? And that salvage/destroyed unit marker is under question too. Also, should I write Depth 1 Water, or leave like it is already? I've seen both markings on different maps
« Last Edit: 05 December 2013, 16:03:19 by Whitar »

NeonKnight

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
« Reply #62 on: 05 December 2013, 17:51:34 »
In TW I saw that a hex with a brige is not marked, no depht or brige hardness indication. Maybe I missed this? How should it be marked? And that salvage/destroyed unit marker is under question too. Also, should I write Depth 1 Water, or leave like it is already? I've seen both markings on different maps

Yeah, Page 32, TW, the map sheet does not depict the depth of the water under the bridge. That is from the BATTLEFORCE MAP 2. There are other maps, notable ARCHIPALGO #1, or COAST #2 where there are bridges and they do list the water levels.

Not a biggie, folks can decide amongst themselves the underlying water level, I know some map/map makers list everything in a hex (filling the hex if need be with level, light/heavy wood etc....

Whitar

• Master Sergeant
yeah, I'll check those maps. Since it is strange that a bridge is not shown as a structure, medium or heavy, it is a strategic element. I have an idea about turrets, LRM and laser. Interesting?

Both sheets updated

« Last Edit: 06 December 2013, 14:33:59 by Whitar »

Wotan

• Lieutenant
« Reply #64 on: 06 December 2013, 11:31:38 »
Those river tiles are great. Also the bridges are good. But if you already fix there CF, you should do some more bridges as hard or hardened constructions for heavy traffic - and also some light bridges for the people. ;)
What do you think - are there rivers somewhere that flows through woods ?

NeonKnight

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
« Reply #65 on: 06 December 2013, 11:47:09 »
Yeah, i've seen some examples of some CRAZY hex tiles.

Could you imagine the following tile:

Bridge crosses from one Level 4 hex to another level 4 hex that is above a depth 2 River Hex. The bridge is RAIL, Medium....WOW! There would be more text than image in that one hex ;)

Whitar

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #66 on: 06 December 2013, 12:28:14 »
 ;) Maybe not, we could use shortened markings: L2, MD..
River through woods is possible) But maybe it will fit better in a jungle terrain?) 

Wotan

• Lieutenant
« Reply #67 on: 06 December 2013, 12:32:27 »
But NeonKnight had a good Point. Never seen bridges spanning from one hill to another.
Even have wider rivers than the usual one hex with bridges over it.
There is so much to do ...

Whitar

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #68 on: 06 December 2013, 12:43:17 »
Sure ^-^
I'm getting the updated counters ready, then I'll add more elements to rivers. I will make a new archive soon
By the way, is coolant green?

NeonKnight

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
« Reply #69 on: 06 December 2013, 12:52:54 »
I know one thing I have always wanted to do (and even tried my hand at....results were So-So.

I would LOVE to see tiles that are....Transparent, or designed to be printed on transparency.

Example:

Smoke Tiles.  Sure they are smoke, but standard smoke tiles are made opaque, so they cover the underlying terrain and need to be removed all the time see "What was this terrain....Oh right, Level 2 Hardened Building."

Another example is the Bridges...Want a 4 hex long bridge to span a gap, place the Bridge tile Down. The Bridge is Opaque but rest of tile is clear, so you can see what is underneath and thus doesn't cover up what is beneath.

A third example: TUNNELS! Why not have a subterranean area. Again, the tile is transparent (hashed outline?) to show a bunker or entrance tunnel, etc.

Whitar

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #70 on: 06 December 2013, 13:04:00 »
I don't think that transparent tiles could be made.. at least in regular conditions. It needs to be some kind of foil that could hold print, we need access to factory resources in China))
Brige 4 hex long can be done\

john blackwell

• Lieutenant
  • putting on a happy face
« Reply #71 on: 06 December 2013, 13:10:33 »
For transparent, what about placing a sheet of syran-wrap between sheets of laminate?  You could ink the dotted lines on the syran-wrap first . . . just an idea.  Or run a sheet of laminate between sheets of laminate.

Going back to the river tiles, am I being too picky to point out that the 3-hex bridge tile in the lower right corner empties the bridge into depth 1 water?  Were those supposed to be separated into a 1-hex bridge over a bend in a river and a 2-hex river with a bend at one end?

This continues to be a great project.  I am looking forward to seeing someone take this terrain and produce a game board with it.

JB
One who puts on his armor should not boast like one who takes it off
Pro pacis par vox excellens

NeonKnight

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
« Reply #72 on: 06 December 2013, 13:11:12 »
Sure, just print on Transparencies like from Staples.

Whatever is white is not printed, so smoke is done is greys etc, the bridge is simply printed at it's darker color, or even printed on regular card stock and then cut and transfered to the transparency.

Whitar

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #73 on: 06 December 2013, 13:20:33 »
Going back to the river tiles, am I being too picky to point out that the 3-hex bridge tile in the lower right corner empties the bridge into depth 1 water?  Were those supposed to be separated into a 1-hex bridge over a bend in a river and a 2-hex river with a bend at one end?

Yeah, seperate those
Thanks!
My friend shared and idea to print the map and tiles on magnetized plastic material, you know, those souvenirs for the fridge - http://neomagnet.en.made-in-china.com/product/DmxQZjnduEzJ/China-Plastic-Rubber-Magnetic-Sheet-Rolls.html I guess this is it
It could turn out very cool, since the tiles would stick to the board and won't move.
Transparent tiles is a good idea, but impossible to achieve easy way. Or lets fund same project for Battletech http://www.gizmag.com/queens-university-oled-board-game/14008/  8)
« Last Edit: 06 December 2013, 13:37:33 by Whitar »

Whitar

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #74 on: 06 December 2013, 14:35:31 »
Counters update

Destroyed Warhammer anyone?)

NeonKnight

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
« Reply #75 on: 06 December 2013, 15:52:39 »
Love it!

I would love a tile pack of nothing but destroyed mechs and vehicles (some Aerospace wrecked, VTOLS, tanks, etc...

Betcha people would KILL for those, pun intended!

Whitar

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #76 on: 06 December 2013, 16:50:38 »
And that is another story) Maybe I'll make two more counters for wrecks, my friend proposed to do a crashed Leopard. Guys, if you have any resin dropships, please shoot me some hi res pics in top view, I'll make a dropship tile. Ok, to sum up this week, we have rivers, we have new tiles, and most important - new ideas! Those are: Hidden unit markers, minefields, communication station, hangars, long bridge, revised woods and some more bits, maybe movement markers (walked, jumped, prone...) and hils, hils, hils... Maybe I won't start a winter map till summer, this green terrain keeps me warm:) A desert world maybe? MW game is full of desert maps, can add lava pools and craters, make it look hostile. Desert world is a nice contrast to greenery.
« Last Edit: 06 December 2013, 19:27:28 by Whitar »

Kret69

• Warrant Officer
    • Solaris7 - Polish Battletech Community
« Reply #77 on: 06 December 2013, 17:06:18 »
Destroyed Warhammer anyone?)

Whitar

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #78 on: 06 December 2013, 17:16:37 »
Glad you like it:) Ok, I intended to 'trash' a MAD-3R, just thought that would be too trivial:) What aerotech will look nice crashed? Is there a need for an ejected mechwarrior counter? That is a chalange. Trying to grasp everything I could have missed, generaly what is most important to game mechanics.. Who often uses the hidden unit rules? Those could be represented as radar blip marks, until uncovered. There is really a lot to do
« Last Edit: 06 December 2013, 19:41:44 by Whitar »

jasper_ward

• Corporal
  • The Wolf Pack Expands
« Reply #79 on: 08 December 2013, 21:18:39 »
Hmm, probably a greedy thought, but would this art look epic in megamek :-p

winteriscoming77

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #80 on: 10 December 2013, 15:34:29 »
Great work Whitar.  Following this thread.
Please check out my gaming blog at http://klecser.wordpress.com

It is not all Battletech (video games, game design, game philosophy, etc.), but has battle reports and my (inexperienced) musings about the game.

Whitar

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #81 on: 11 December 2013, 05:55:24 »
Thanks! More to come:)

Whitar

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #82 on: 13 December 2013, 14:23:14 »
Printed some pieces today, sorry for the bad pic  :-[

winteriscoming77

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #83 on: 13 December 2013, 15:16:49 »
Are those printed to paper, printed to paper and glued to card stock, or printed directly to card stock?
Please check out my gaming blog at http://klecser.wordpress.com

It is not all Battletech (video games, game design, game philosophy, etc.), but has battle reports and my (inexperienced) musings about the game.

Whitar

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #84 on: 13 December 2013, 16:36:25 »
It was home made, regular paper print. This results in darker colors unfortunatelly. You can check the previous pages to see how those counters look like
« Last Edit: 13 December 2013, 16:40:48 by Whitar »

jimdigris

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #85 on: 24 December 2013, 08:56:09 »
This is beautiful work! O0

M4cr0Dutch

• Sergeant
  • Fate sits high in the bidder's chair.
    • Old School Gaming
« Reply #86 on: 09 January 2014, 23:08:38 »
 :)) This is pure awesome-sauce. Thank you!
"If you see a Falcon not in a Summoner, Hellbringer or Kit Fox, double your caution."

Whitar

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #87 on: 10 January 2014, 13:37:02 »
Thanks! ;)

NeonKnight

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
« Reply #88 on: 10 January 2014, 15:57:59 »
Hows the wreck markers coming?

Whitar

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #89 on: 11 January 2014, 09:27:23 »
Hey! Thanks for interest:) Had no time to work o the project during holidays, and eventualy got flu.. Will get the set done in several weeks, but no major addons for this month. Have some minis to paint and show here, so stay with me) I'm thinking about starting a blog for miniature painting and other stuff..

Register