Author Topic: Glenmora Planetary Militia, Post-4th SW  (Read 21420 times)

DOC_Agren

• Major
Re: Glenmora Planetary Militia, Post-4th SW
« Reply #30 on: 17 February 2017, 23:15:20 »
How about this for a Aerospace force:
2 Sholagar  SL-21
2 Sholagar  SL-21L
2 Lucifer LCF-R15
2 Corsair CSR-V12M (interesting model, could see if getting handed off to a Ghost Force)
A House Marik design, it was introduced among the Regulan areospace forces in an attempt to preserve their dwindling number of Corsairs. One of the large lasers was replaced for two more tons of armor and three additional heat sinks. While increasing the craft's survivability it is disliked by many for reducing the Corsair's firepower. Also known as the Sand Hawk to House Kurita military units.
2 Slayer SL-15
"For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast, And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed:And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill, And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still!"

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #31 on: 18 February 2017, 08:25:26 »
A great start, thanks!

I like the Sholagar SL-21Ls, but I think the stock SL-21s will be replaced by Centurions (energy weapons being better for raiders; these will be aboard the Intruder).

Instead of the Lucifer IIs, ComStar will helpfully provide a pair of Ironsides IRN-SD1s (DHS and a metric ton of SRMs FTW!).

The Slayers will be the SL-15A variants to make sure the squadron on the Leopard has some reach at LRM range.

Which brings us to the Sand Hawks (CSR-V12Ms).  The problem with the Sand Hawk, as interesting as it is, is that removing the Large Laser means it doesn't need the extra heat sinks.  The Sand Hawk also isn't on the deployment table in War of 3039.  On the other hand, the Lightning is.  With an AC/20, it's a perfect complement for the huge SRM batteries on the Ironsides.

To sum up:
Code: [Select]
9th Ghost Regiment
Aboard the Leopard CV:
2x Slayer (SL-15A)
2x Ironsides (IRN-SD1)
2x Lightning

10th Ghost Regiment
Aboard the Intruder (Minitoma faction, with ISF plants, including the CO):
2x Centurion
Aboard the Union (Jirigawa faction):
2x Sholagar (SL-21L)

Once the dropships arrive at the planet, the Centurions and Sholagars will remain in orbit with the Leopard and rotate with the squadron from the 9th on CAP (staggered reliefs with 6 hours on, 9 hours off for each air lance).  They'll minimize fuel burn rate by parking in suitable orbits, but in practical terms, only the air lance in the first half of its six hour station time will be available for CAS while the other provides high cover (and the other three lances scramble to launch from the Leopard; at best they'll be on ready 15).

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #32 on: 18 February 2017, 09:01:40 »
Hmmm... a complication: I just found that the 3rd NAIS Cadet Cadre was deployed to Glenmora at the outset of the war.  They're green, but bring a full regiment of heavy and assault 'mechs.  I'll have to give this some more thought...

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #33 on: 18 February 2017, 14:43:37 »
Well, after further consideration, I note the table doesn't actually say where the 3rd NAIS Cadet Cadre was in August of 3039, so I'm going to press on with the Militia being the principal defenders against this raid.

That said, I wanted to add some damaged 'mechs to the Glenmora side of the equation:
1st Ceti Hussars:
BattleMaster BLR-1D with no gyro (braced up in its gantry, any PSR means it falls)
Rifleman RFL-4D (PPCs) with 2 engine hits (essentially only 3 HS)
Marauder MAD-3D with two sensor hits
(Half of a) JagerMech JM-6S, missing LT and LA (well, the LA isn't really missing, it's over there on the test bench)

Screaming Eagles:
Assassin ASN-21 with one leg
Enforcer ENF-4R with no arms

The story on these is that either due to a lack of spare parts (4 ton gyros aren't that easy to come by), or mistakes made during repairs by Veteran tech teams, these 'mechs will need more time to fix than either unit had on their way deeper into the Combine.  Some could have been redlined during routine maintenance, while others are retrograde material from Elidere IV (while it was a comparatively easy victory, that didn't mean the units took no damage).

When the inbound Kurita dropships are detected, the Screaming Eagle 'mechs (and most easily transported support equipment and spares) will relocate to the 1st Ceti Hussar hangar to make them easier to defend.  I see this as the "final showdown" in the scenario pack, basically the Ghost Regiment trying to cause as much damage as possible before getting out of Dodge.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #34 on: 18 February 2017, 18:37:09 »
Campaign-wise, I'm looking at the below rough outline for a week or so of action.  The majority of the Militia is defending various fixed targets around the planet, and the Ghosts' orbital forces spend some of their time knocking down Militia satellites.

1) First Contact: Elements of the militia's Recon Company try to get close enough to ID what the Ghost Regiment has brought.  Only the Recon Lance of the Hover Company has any hope of catching them, but the other elements might be able to provide some blocking/channeling assistance, while a pair of Aerospace fighters make a run at the VTOLs before going bingo and having to return to space.  Victory for the Militia is LOS to the DropShips.  Victory for the Ghost Regiment is annihilation of the Recon Company's element.  Some kind of morale rule will be necessary to determine when the Ferrets bug out.  Who wins will determine how much reinforcement the mine head in the next mission receives.

2) Probing: The Maneuver Lance of the Ghost Regiment 'mech company and the Transport Lance of the vehicle company raid a mine head, trying to grab some gold.  One company of Militia Mechanized Infantry is on guard duty, and is reinforced by either one or two Air Assault Battalion companies with one or two Attack Lances of Warriors (one if the Ghost Regiment won the last scenario, two if the Militia won).  The aerospace element can provide two passes to the Ghost Regiment in this scenario, one or two turns apart before they have to return to space for gas.  Victory points for the Ghost Regiment are determined by how much gold they make off with.  Victory for the Militia is destruction of any Ghost Regiment 'mechs and vehicles.  Killing their infantry just slows downs how much gold they can load.  Victory here determines what units are available in the next scenario.

*Repair Cycle*

3) Brass Tacks: The full company of the Ghost Regiment 'mech company (or what's left of it after a repair cycle) hits the Screaming Eagle hangar (the empty one).  This is a trap laid by the Militia.  Victory points for the Ghost Regiment are determined by how many 'mechs they get off the board AFTER they've determined the hangar is empty. Victory points for the Militia are determined by how many 'mechs they take down.  Militia forces available for this mission are a full Battalion with Artillery support, plus one Hover Company, and whatever survived the last mission to "close the door" once the Ghost Regiment has gotten a unit inside the hangar.  The Ghost Regiment will schedule the attack to maximize availability of CAS from the Aerospace element, giving them a pass every other turn for five passes total.

4) Smash and Grab: While the 'mechs are hitting the Screaming Eagles' hangar, the Hover Company (and attached surviving infantry) try to knock over a platinum warehouse.  Initial defenders are the corporate security force, reinforced by the Jump Company from the Militia Air Assault Battalion after 6 turns.  6 turns after that, a Hover Mechanized Infantry Company arrives.  As before, Ghost Regiment victory points are determined by how much gold they make off with.  Victory points for the Militia are based on casualties inflicted on the Ghosts.

*Repair Cycle*

5) Showdown: Having determined the hard way that their main targets are at the First Ceti Hussar hangar, the Ghost Regiment throws it's remaining forces at it in an attempt to cause as much destruction as possible.  All surviving Ghost Regiment forces are available for this mission, plus CAS every other turn.  The Militia will defend with the damaged 'mechs in the hangar, plus a full Battalion of Mechanized Infantry with Artillery Battery support and a Hover Company flanking the Ghost Regiment force on turn 6.  Victory points for the Ghosts are determined by enemy 'mechs destroyed plus number of Ghost units that make it off the board.  Militia victory points are based on Ghost units destroyed.

6) Retreat: The surviving Ghosts are chased by the surviving Militia Hover units.  After 12 turns, the second Hover Company arrives to reinforce.  Artillery support is available to the Militia for the first 12 turns, and CAS is sparse for the Ghosts (only 4 sorties... the aerospace units are preparing to defend the drop zone).  Rolling map sheets will be used.  Victory points for both are based on how many Ghost units escape.  The Militia forces break off when their morale fails.

7) Counterattack: The surviving Warrior VTOLs mount an attack on the drop zone while the Ghosts are at the Hussar hangar.  Defending units are the dropships and Field Artillery section.  They have Flak ammunition, but need three turns to get it from the Dropship.  All CAS is supporting the attack on the Hussar hangar.  The Militia gains a victory point for every 10 points of damage inflicted on the Droships, plus 5 for each Field Artillery unit destroyed.  The Ghosts gain a victory point for each VTOL destroyed.  The Militia forces withdraw when their morale breaks or they run out of AC/2 ammunition.

After all that, the Ghosts withdraw off world, having received word that the 1st Ceti Hussars are withdrawing from Misery, and the beaten Screaming Eagles are inbound from Elidere IV.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #35 on: 22 March 2017, 18:20:45 »
I commissioned the esteemed Matt Plog to draw some of the militia's vehicles.  The first is the LRM variant Goblin.  Enjoy!

marauder648

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • Project Zhukov Fan AU TRO's and PDFs
« Reply #36 on: 28 March 2017, 21:33:23 »
Oh blimey! This goblin looks great :) Nice work on the unit too!
Ghost Bears: Cute and cuddly. Until you remember its a BLOODY BEAR!

Project Zhukov Fan AU TRO's and PDFs - https://thezhukovau.wordpress.com/

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #37 on: 27 April 2017, 17:41:49 »
And here's the SRM version, once again courtesy of the very talented Matt Plog.
« Last Edit: 27 April 2017, 17:47:22 by Daryk »

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #38 on: 27 April 2017, 17:45:13 »
And also my custom SRM/MG variant, using the dual SRM-6s as shown by the MegaMek art, and moving the extra four MGs into the turret.  Credit as always to Matt Plog!

The AC/20 and Thumper variants will probably have to wait until this summer, but will also be posted here.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #39 on: 18 August 2017, 17:19:46 »
Once again, Matt Plog comes through!  Here's the AC/20 variant.  The Thumper will follow shortly.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #40 on: 18 August 2017, 17:20:49 »
And last but certainly not least, Matt Plog's take on the Thumper version...

DOC_Agren

• Major
« Reply #41 on: 22 August 2017, 18:38:15 »
Very Nice
"For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast, And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed:And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill, And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still!"

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #42 on: 22 August 2017, 19:50:28 »
Thanks!  I give Plog full credit for coming up with a way to maximize hull commonality for the last two with the others.  It wasn't what I expected, but it works remarkably well, I think.

Dave Talley

• Major
« Reply #43 on: 25 August 2017, 15:22:54 »
Now to get them sculpted
Resident Smartass since 1998
“Toe jam in training”

Because while the other Great Houses of the Star League thought they were playing chess, House Cameron was playing Paradox-Billiards-Vostroyan-Roulette-Fourth Dimensional-Hypercube-Chess-Strip Poker the entire time.
JA Baker

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #44 on: 25 August 2017, 15:45:17 »
Maybe when I'm done putting kids through college... :)

Hptm. Streiger

• Lieutenant
  • 3d artist, spread sheet warrior, KTF
« Reply #45 on: 13 December 2017, 08:49:04 »
Hey, yes I didn't have found it earlier.

Any issues when I try to put them in 3D? It will not be a 100% accurate copy - but matts work is usually a very good concept of stuff that might work.
I really appreciate the look of the front... you've got an idea about the armor.

The rear below the turret seems to be the troop compartment ....does all of your variants have troops?

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #46 on: 13 December 2017, 09:00:08 »
Thanks for looking!  I have absolutely no issue with you working up 3D sketches (please do!).  All the variants have at least a 1.0 ton troop compartment (the Machine Gun Variant has a 5 ton one, and the "C2" variants trade a little of the space for communications gear).  The artillery ammunition carrier chassis also carries a couple of industrial exoskeletons...

I've lost the file, but I used a MegaMek template for a Goblin, and was able to find room for 50 seats if the crew and ammunition was all moved to the turret, and the power pack under the floor.  I say 50 because Taurian squads are 10 troops each, and a one ton compartment is theoretically enough for a "squad".

marauder648

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • Project Zhukov Fan AU TRO's and PDFs
« Reply #47 on: 04 January 2018, 03:45:31 »
Oh wow! Didn't see these variants of the Goblin, great stuff!
Ghost Bears: Cute and cuddly. Until you remember its a BLOODY BEAR!

Project Zhukov Fan AU TRO's and PDFs - https://thezhukovau.wordpress.com/

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #48 on: 21 January 2019, 13:57:39 »
At long last, the AToW stats for that infamous Scout Captain!

Alexandra Morgan was 12 years old when her school was stomped flat by the 5th Galedon Regulars during the 4th Succession War.  She swore that day to get back at the Combine (Compulsion/Hatred of Draconis Combine).  Six years later, she was near the top of her class and less than a month away from her flight wings when a severe ear infection grounded her (Pilot/Air Vehicle Skill Field).  At the time, she didn't understand the bureaucracy well enough to fight it, and accepted being rolled back a year and into armor training (Cavalry Skill Field).  She dedicated all the spare time her extra year and OCS gave to learning the ins and outs of how to get what she wanted out of "the system" (Protocol/Federated Suns 6, Negotiation 5).  Those skills served her well as Glenmora rebuilt its militia in the 3030s, and she earned quite a reputation for successful lobbying (Reputation +1, Connections 3).  While she managed to grow the reconaissance unit from a lance to a company (and earn a promotion to Captain, 6 Rank TP), she made more than one enemy along the way (2, -2 TP Enemies: one another Militia Captain (in Intelligence... that community had plans for those Ferrets), the other a Planetary Bureaucrat (in the Defense Budget Office)).  Her battlefield skills are also above average (Artillery 5, Tactics/Land 4, and Sensor Operations 4).

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #49 on: 30 May 2020, 06:23:28 »
With the publication of the first issue of Shrapnel and its article on Sniper Rifles, Lancelot Mark Vs will replace Intek Laser Rifles across the board.  This will increase range and damage while decreasing cost significantly, and swap an imported (or licensed) weapon for a domestic model.  Select units may receive Barton AMRs with Extended Capacity.  While these are more expensive than Inteks, they increase range and damage even more (though at the cost of being Encumbering).

DOC_Agren

• Major
« Reply #50 on: 30 May 2020, 09:26:29 »
Wait BT going to add real sniper rifles to the game for inf???

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #51 on: 30 May 2020, 11:17:59 »
Here's the link: https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=69615.0

They're the closest thing yet to real sniper rifles, and some of them have amazing bonuses to hit at longer ranges.  I don't know if those specific bonuses translate to TW, but if they do, infantry just got a WHOLE lot more dangerous.
« Last Edit: 06 June 2020, 07:54:03 by Daryk »

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #52 on: 30 May 2020, 12:01:07 »
Here's the cost impact on the basic foot platoon:
Infantry Platoons:
  4 Squads of Foot Infantry, 7 Troopers per Squad
    5 Auto Rifles with Recoil Compensation, 2 Lancelot Mark V Sniper Rifles, all with the FedCom Infantry Armor Kit for a damage divisor of 2.
    Furthermore, each squad leader has a Vibro Blade in place of the standard issue knife, and every trooper has a load bearing pack.
    The militia uses Squad Deployment rules from TacOps.  Each squad does 3 points of damage at 4/8/12 range thanks to the Sniper Rifles.

Infantry Platoon Cost:
  20 Auto Rifles with Recoil Compensation: 2000 x sqrt(88) = 375,233
   8 Lancelot Mark V Sniper Rifles: 2000 x sqrt(400) =       320,000
  28 FedCom Armor Kits at 710 each:                           19,880
  28 Load Bearing Packs at 100 each:                           2,800
   4 Vibro Blades at 100 each:                                   400
     Total:                                                  718,313 per platoon
It's almost enough savings to make switching to my Auto Rifle+ cost neutral...
« Last Edit: 10 June 2020, 19:46:17 by Daryk »

DOC_Agren

• Major
« Reply #53 on: 30 May 2020, 16:28:56 »
Here's the link: https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=69615.0

They're the closest thing yet to real sniper rifles, and some of they amazing bonuses to hit at longer ranges.  I don't know if those specific bonuses translate to TW, but if they do, infantry just got a WHOLE lot more dangerous.
Way back in the day my Scout/Sniper teams had a Heavy Gryjojet rifle for the range, based on the old info from 3026 TR

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #54 on: 30 May 2020, 16:36:59 »
Yeah... these days, Heavy Gyrojet guns only get 2/4/6 range.  It beats 1/2/3 for Auto Rifles, but not really by enough.

DOC_Agren

• Major
« Reply #55 on: 03 June 2020, 20:25:20 »
Yeah... these days, Heavy Gyrojet guns only get 2/4/6 range.  It beats 1/2/3 for Auto Rifles, but not really by enough.

:o  Well it has been a while since I was allowed to use my scout/snipers... 

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #56 on: 23 January 2021, 13:34:07 »
I'm going back through this thread with a fine-toothed comb and Fractional Accounting.  Many vehicles are gaining Paramedic equipment (from the free quarter ton recovered from their Controls) while others (namely the Ferrets) get another four points of armor.  The cost savings of the Sniper Rifles is funding that.  I expect I may have a bit left over to add another formation or two (Fuel Cell Goblin chassis with Long Tom Artillery Cannons are not beyond the pale... they run about 1.6M each).  We'll see...