Author Topic: AU: Der Tag (The Day)  (Read 86858 times)

marauder648

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • Project Zhukov Fan AU TRO's and PDFs
Re: AU: Der Tag (The Day)
« Reply #240 on: 16 November 2016, 06:50:02 »
Amazing work as always my friend! :) Its great! :)  You put so much thought and effort into this :)
Ghost Bears: Cute and cuddly. Until you remember its a BLOODY BEAR!

Project Zhukov Fan AU TRO's and PDFs - https://thezhukovau.wordpress.com/

beachhead1985

• Major
  • 1st SOG; SLDF. "McKenna's Marauders"
    • Kilroy's Wall
« Reply #241 on: 30 December 2016, 13:57:52 »
WOW! 10,000 Views! You guys deserve something really special!  O0

How about 38 pages on Artillery?! >:D

Anybody prefer to read it here? I can break it up into hunks and post it in the thread.

Epitaph on an Army of Mercenaries

These, in the day when heaven was falling,      Their shoulders held the sky suspended;
The hour when earth's foundations fled,         They stood, and earth's foundations stay;
Followed their mercenary calling,               What God abandoned, these defended,
And took their wages, and are dead.             And saved the sum of things for pay.

A.E. Housman

marauder648

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #242 on: 30 December 2016, 14:50:27 »
This reads so damn well (and yay for you using a hex = 100 meters), superbly thought out, damn well written and very enjoyable to read :) You've really put some amazing work into this!

beachhead1985

• Major
    • Kilroy's Wall
« Reply #243 on: 03 January 2017, 17:52:33 »
Thanks Marauder! Oh and I did this and forgot it; it should be extremely consistent with what I wrote. Think of it as a graphical Coles notes to the state of artillery in Der Tag.

These, in the day when heaven was falling,      Their shoulders held the sky suspended;
The hour when earth's foundations fled,         They stood, and earth's foundations stay;
Followed their mercenary calling,               What God abandoned, these defended,
And took their wages, and are dead.             And saved the sum of things for pay.

A.E. Housman

beachhead1985

• Major
    • Kilroy's Wall
« Reply #244 on: 07 March 2017, 00:19:24 »
In response to the fact that I've been working on other things, I am going to try to put up a short little blurb here at least once a week.

Training Rifle T1

From it's founding, the Training Rifle T1 has been the first experience of an issued weapon for all SLDF recruits in the New Model Army.

The T1, while based on the mechanism of the Federated Long Rifle, possesses none of the features one would like in a service weapon; it is heavy at 7.5kg, loaded with a 25-round magazine. It is unreliable and fires only proprietary and nearly useless ammunition. Both the wooden furniture and the crudely finished and cheap alloy of the working parts are supplied unfinished; requiring constant maintenance from tired, frustrated soldiers to keep the wood inspection-ready and the metal free of rust.

It is essentially uncontrollable in fully-automatic fire and difficult to strip and assemble, even though it can be done without tools. It takes at least two complete (Hah!) cleaning kits (stored in the fixed; non-telescoping, non-folding butt, which is invariably too-short or too-long for any given soldier) to pull through a barrel. The barrel is the only machined part and it is smooth-bored and non-chrome-lined. But it is a full 66cm long, which makes it hard to maneuver in any kind of close confines or terrain and contributes to a terrible balance only made worse by the integral and invariably loose bipod.

The sights are rudimentary at best and together with the barrel, even if the T1 wasn't designed exclusively for the excessively loud and dirty 10mm T2A1 Blank Cartridge, you wouldn't be able to hit the broad side of a Battlemaster with it at conversational distance. The T1 is a direct-gas impingement weapon and sensitive to it's own self-realized fouling as well as any form of dust, debris, vegetation or loose clothing that may get sucked into the working parts through the generous "operating and lightening slots" cut into the receiver. It will happily double and triple-feed rounds from even brand-new magazines, which are themselves easily damaged and quick to wear out.

You can, with difficulty remove the integral blank firing device and then muzzle-load your precious cleaning rods or other foreign objects, or even use doctored blanks if you felt you had to. But such activity is punished severely and you can already slip grenade simulators over the muzzle and project those, probably with greater accuracy than you might expect, out to perhaps 100m with a tail wind. Recruits usually discover this on or about the final week of basic when the staff use this feature to bombard them with artillery simulators and riot gas grenades while in bivouac.

The T1 is awkward to operate and uncomfortable to carry; there are no sling swivels, though recruits are usually permitted to improvise slings from whatever they can find in the field. Recoil somehow manages to be punishing despite not involving an actual bullet and besides the magazines; there is only one authorized and issued accessory; the T3 bayonet.

The T3 bayonet is a socket-type spike (although maybe "rod" would be a better term) bayonet, but most recruits agree after being issued theirs that it makes a better mallet and a much better windlass for tightening wire. As a bayonet, it lacks any form of handle and the "Blade" is a mere 10cm long, made from barely refined iron and blunted. However, it is adequate, at the end of a more than 1.5-meter-long rifle for instilling "The Spirit of The Bayonet" in new recruits who may someday be citizens. Sharpening the T3, should one find the means and the time; is forbidden.

But breaking one in use can be lauded. And training staff are always happy to exchange a broken T3 for a new, invariably brown with rust example.

Likewise, new T1 parts are as easy to come by as they are to break. While the main components of the T1 are quite stubbornly robust, almost everything that a recruit can remove can and will break in practice. Stocks, forearms and pistol grips all crack and fall right off; sights are lost (with frightful regularity and consequences), firing pins break and bend and the extractor springs and myriad other parts may fail under even classroom conditions.

The cost for all this frustration is high and several tens of tons of T1 parts are scraped every year as they are damaged past their very limited economical repairability. But the benefit they provide SLDF training command is seen as out of all proportion to their low individual procurement price.

Essentially; the T1, for the relatively short time it is in a recruits hands; makes training much, much harder in every way that involves the rifle itself. But those individuals who encounter the T1 gain a sense of tolerance for the less-than-ideal, they gain patience and determination, even at the cost of some bitterness at the memory of the cheap blue-wood stocks and raw tack-welds. They get used to the idea of a weapon failing them and thus learn not to rely on equipment, but instead become rigorous double and triple-checkers for life. Just because you had a front-sight a moment ago doesn't mean you still do now.

They become comfortable with stoppage drills and learn to perform them quickly and instinctively. The charging handle of the T1, at least is sturdy enough for almost any stress put upon it, up to a recruit's boot. And ask any graduate of the SLDF's universal basic course and they'll tell you; "The Bitch" builds upper-body strength. For those recruits who lack mechanical experience; changing out the broken parts begins to wear that away fast. Most of all; SLDF recruits learn to clean and maintain their weapons religiously. Later-on they can be taught about over-cleaning, once they have weapons worthy of their confidence.

It's easy to understand the appreciation for the Ravager Modular Lasers the recruits are issued on their intermediate courses; it's the rifle they'll really learn to shoot with the SLDF-way; and it's everything the T1 isn't. And the famous picture of the diminutive recruit in tears later on; handed her first T2G autocarbine has a certain paternal appeal.

But unless you've been there and humped one through at least part of the 8 days of "Hell Week", you can never understand the pride of the top candidate and the envy of his peers, when at the end of the course they bring out the trophy; a gleaming chromed T1MA with black-wood furniture.

Variants:

T1DP

The T1DP (Drill Purpose) is a regular T1, with the working parts removed, barrel chopped to 45cm, chromed and fitted with high-impact-resistant black-polymer furniture. They are only commonly found within SLDF Cadet units, professional "Asphalt Soldiers" carry chromed versions of real, working weapons in the SLDF. Sometimes loaded.

The T1DP is fitted for a 30cm-blade chromed sword-bayonet.

T1I

The T1I (Instructor's) is a T1 Rifle made to a higher standard, with better materials and refined for better function. This is helpful, as unintended stoppages and parts breakages can slow down classes. T1Is come with magazines with better springs, made from superior alloys and a spring steel version of the T3 Bayonet as well.

To finally set the T1I apart from the T1; the wooden stocks of the T1I (which may be one of a dozen native woods, but never Blue or Black-Wood) is stained a deep, rich red. In addition; the metal parts of the T1I are actually blued, whereas the T1 is unfinished, raw alloy.

T1C

The T1C is a T1I delivered as a cut-away rifle to demonstrate the inner workings. This gives new recruits to the SLDF a more detailed understanding of how the T1 rifle functions in theory and thus why it jams and how to fix it.

T1Cs have yellow-paint on the cut-away sections, black stove-enamel metal surfaces and feature simple stained wood furniture.

T1OS

The T1OS (Over-Sized) is a partial representation of a T1 Rifle, scaled up 2.5 times. This comes as a rolling classroom model and is used to teach recruits on the intermediate course the basics of the cycle of operations and function of ballistic firearms. With the receiver cut-away for the most part, barrel rifled and cut-down to just before the gas block and butt and forearm absent, most recruits have difficulty recognizing the basic design of the T1, let alone the common workings of the Federated Long Rifle in this guise.

Parts of the trigger group, bolt and gas system can be swapped out to simulate different mechanisms.

Where other armies might use a holo-model or vid, if they use anything at all; the SLDF values the hands-one experience recruits get from the T1OS

T1M

The T1M (Modified or Militarized) is a commercial venture designed to market a re-engineered T1 as a personal firearm to civilian enthusiasts. Extensive modifications are made to every part of the rifle, including re-chambering and re-barreling it to accept standard 10mm Federated Service ammunition. Five grades are available from D to A, with some grade-A models delivered as trophies to Basic Top Candidates, chromed.

Unlike the basic T1, the T1M is a fine and well-regarded battle rifle, which has several advantages over the Federated and it's many clones; namely in reliability, ergonomics and accuracy. Further grades beyond D merely add greater levels of embellishment to the wood and metal, which also become enhanced in quality as they go on, but the T1M remains instantly recognizable as a T1 and the T1MA Special Grade is a possession highly regarded among collectors and normally only available to those selected as Top Candidate of their Basic Course.

Other

Occasionally, ill-conceived attempts are made to convert T1s into functional rifles. These result in either a wasteful expenditure of resources better allocated to just making a real rifle from scratch, outright failure or weapons more dangerous to their users than their intended targets.

One Exception is the T1C, a Diamond Shark modification of the design with a chopped carbine-length barrel, simple straight-pull bolt action and feeding 10.4x76mm shotshells. After-market modified magazines are available, but effectiveness varies and the Sharks provide the T1C to their Gendarmes as a single-shot weapon with a plug in the magazine well.

All versions of the Training Rifle T1 have been or are produced by various manufacturers at various times and places within the Canton Worlds. Most T1s are not even produced by recognized weapons manufacturers, but rather the makers of toys and affordable appliances. Even so, most of the T1s produced are the basic model and standards are both strict and low.

Export of the T1 is mainly to the Clan member-states of the 3rd League, but many are also given as aid to members like the Rim Collection and allies like the Calderon Protectorate who have little enough money to spare their militaries to expend any on low-quality firearms intended exclusively for training purposes.

An uncommon insult among SLDF special forces is to deliver shipments of T1s to unreliable allies as a cryptic message to "Be Better".

Oddly, collecting T1s of all stripes is something of a competitive hobby and one accessible to all walks of life in the 3rd League, with some less-common models and manufacturer-produced examples being highly prized. With "Beyond Economic Repairability" T1 parts available as surplus scrap and different manufacturers producing large and small runs basically on a whim, the collector community thrives. Of course the rarest T1s are those with matching serial numbers, of which only three are verified as being in collector hands.

A.E. Housman

PeacMaker03

• Corporal
« Reply #245 on: 07 March 2017, 23:25:05 »
Sounds like you have Basic training plans well thought out.

marauder648

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #246 on: 08 March 2017, 14:53:58 »
Brilliant :) This thing somehow sounds worse than the SA-80 I had in basic training :p Excellent stuff as always! :)

beachhead1985

• Major
    • Kilroy's Wall
« Reply #247 on: 08 March 2017, 16:34:57 »
Sounds like you have Basic training plans well thought out.

Basic, about down to a daily schedule for classes. Intermediate is skeletal and beyond that is notional.

What you'll ever see of it, I'm not sure; probably a summery of the Universal Basic Course and just me talking about the rest a bit.

Brilliant :) This thing somehow sounds worse than the SA-80 I had in basic training :p Excellent stuff as always! :)

It's designed to be terrible though the SA80 was just terribly designed.

I actually started with my experiences with the C7A1 in basic and once I started looking at it like an instructor, vice someone who actually had to carry and use the POS and now the worse C7A2, then I saw the natural advantages. We are actually missing out on a lot of training value in not making it worse and having the troops fix them. But we also get people who are almost useless with hand tools as well; can't even sew, let alone has experience with screwdrivers.

The Federated Long is depicted in TRO3026 as a SPACE(!) M16. Very 80s. But described as well thought-of and common and this is expanded on in Battletechnology. So I took the other real common ballistic rifle of the BTU (the other being the TK) and made it into a Jammo-matic, STEN-quality, blanks-only, pig-heavy (cause BTU) POS with the balance of the C7A2 and the handling of the C9 series. Because this is a weapon which should injure it's operators superficially, on an ongoing basis, in daily handling.

A.E. Housman

PeacMaker03

• Corporal
« Reply #248 on: 08 March 2017, 22:33:30 »
I detect a little influence from Tom Kratman in your basic training plan? I must say I like it.

beachhead1985

• Major
    • Kilroy's Wall
« Reply #249 on: 08 March 2017, 22:44:07 »
I detect a little influence from Tom Kratman in your basic training plan? I must say I like it.

You got it. And in a lot of my thinking too, I must confess. But I like to think that I steal widely and only from the very best. Case in point; anything I write has a mental soundtrack for the images in my head; like much of John Ringo's work.

Besides the historical, in how I try to think when I write the real fluffy bits; I try to imagine Battletech, as written by David Drake.

If I could change one thing about the history of the BTU, it would be that: Have David Drake write the spine books, instead of Michael Stackpole.

Overall, the aim with Der Tag is to shift the skeleton of the universe from the post-roman empire world to an AU that is more like the late 1900s/early-1910s in terms of feel and outlook. As this develops, I'm finding it a whole lot less like the 30s than I thought, but the building conflict we're headed towards still feels very much like the Spanish Civil War in terms of the factionalism and politics, if not the almanac of the battles and various "Geography".

A.E. Housman

beachhead1985

• Major
    • Kilroy's Wall
« Reply #250 on: 03 June 2017, 15:27:54 »
I'm working on something, but it's potentially rule violating; so I am taking my time and I'm going to run it by a mod.

A.E. Housman

marauder648

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #251 on: 03 June 2017, 16:04:22 »
Good to hear this is still alive :)

beachhead1985

• Major
    • Kilroy's Wall
« Reply #252 on: 03 June 2017, 18:08:57 »
Good to hear this is still alive :)

Yeah, just not as productive as I'd like. Time spent explaining it all is time not spent working on Der Tag or any of the other projects I want to work on, so I am going to grab some chow and get back to it.

A.E. Housman

beachhead1985

• Major
    • Kilroy's Wall
« Reply #253 on: 16 June 2017, 07:16:25 »
Got a green light!

Politics in Der Tag: https://www.dropbox.com/s/fqmj7cicmsplwjr/Politics%20in%20Der%20Tag.docx?dl=0

Critiques welcome.

Back to combat support.

A.E. Housman

beachhead1985

• Major
    • Kilroy's Wall
« Reply #254 on: 12 July 2017, 20:33:51 »
This thread back up yet? Okay cool!

Lessons Learned: Combat Support
From a lecture given by Colonel, Emeritus John Simmons
NAIS October 11, 3099

The Third Succession war saw a decline not just in the technology of destruction, but in the scope and complexity of warfare as well. The raid, as often to destroy as to seize materiel; was the rule, rather than the exception and the depth and complexity of military thought and theory suffered as a result.

Doubtless; the phenomena of LosTech played a part in this, but only as a contributing factor. Ultimately, it was the imposed condition of the human mind and the general intellectual malaise which dominated almost completely during this time period which did the most to ****** recovery and even effort in all spheres of human endeavour. It was an age of the reduction of the possible, past the absurd to just spitting distance from what was now.

Hard as it is for those of us who have lived through at least part of the Jihad, into the era of the Republic to imagine, but even imagination itself seemed to be under attack in those days. In stark contrast to the limitless possibilities for individual and cultural achievement we live in now; the 3rd Succession War was a time when reality, what had been; was a prison where what would be dwelled in darkness and saw few visitors.

The fall of technic civilization to an feudal average approximating the mid-late 20th century contributed to this, but as later events and those driving them would demonstrate; it was a prison of our own making.

But one would hardly expect such an order of things to affect the lowly military cargo truck.

Yet, history shows us that this is just what happened.

A decline in the basic equipment of the arm of service upon which an army depends on for life?

Ah; no. Not so much the equipment, but rather; a decline in not just *the* arm of service to which the Ancient Terran Leader Winston Churchill referred to when he said; "Victory is the beautiful, bright-coloured flower; transport is the stem, without which it could never have blossomed." But in fact a general decline in *all* other arms of service not directly involved in the kinetic action of war from the later 29th to the early 31st centuries.

“Madness!” You say? Oh, not hardly.

Nor; really, necessity… But expedience? Certainly. Sloth? Sometimes. But most often a bland and pragmatic species of hopelessness.

During this time period, the Great Powers were still using the old Star League Templates as a base for their own organizations, at least on paper. In theory, a Regiment of any type could count on at least a company of between 12-20 trucks in it’s support battalion. But in practice, these were normally locally purchased models and the entire support battalion (or company), was in fact rarely taken on campaign and instead left behind, most often with the rest of the unit’s “Camp Followers”.

This last was due to a variety of factors, but related principally to the mercurial natural of military operations of this era (the predominance of the Raid) and the dearth of available spare transportation capacity to move these assets. A Lucky Regiment would have enough DropShips and JumpShips available, if not assigned to it; to make strategic movement of the combat assets between the stars possible, but almost none had the “Extra” Capacity to move the support assets.

As these rarely moved strategically by dint of tradition and necessity and were often composed of locally-purchased and manufactured equipment, they were most often traded between units as artefacts of the duty station and to ease logistical burdens on interstellar transport.

But ironically, such situations provide little opportunity or need to employ such assets. So as budgets grew tighter and the difficulty and cost of supporting more rarefied and apparently valuable assets, such as BattleMechs grew and grew, it became ever easier to justify the decision to allow even ostensibly useful equipment like bridge layers and recovery vehicles to rust out and then go without replacement.

At first this seems grossly illogical. Would not the smash and grab warfare of the Succession Wars in fact be the perfect environment for the full array of combat support equipment?

Trucks to haul off the booty? Bridge Layers to span natural obstacles? Engineering vehicles to breach the man-made barriers to a raiding forces’ progress and the recovery vehicles and prime movers to make off with the spoils of the battlefield?

First of all; that thinking is too logical! Think emotionally! What feels good; not what’s smart! And those are all cumbersome, slow-moving assets taking up valuable DropShip bays and docking collars that could be better applied hauling mechs. Remember; most raids were conducted mainly with mech forces, mainly supported, when any support at all was on offer, by infantry and AeroFighters.

Consider also the historical trend to double-down on available DropShips and embrace the “gentleman’s agreement” that was the revivification of the Ares Conventions with it’s partial prohibition on engaging space-faring vessels; like DropShips.

In their mental fugue and emotional fever; leaders of the day saw the DropShip not just as a vital link in their campaigns of interstellar Viking, but also a supply dump, barracks, means of operational movement and the provider of repair, planning, command and medical facilities.

Haul away the objective of the raid? Recovery of battlefield salvage? Move the DropShip there. Or drag it off with a mech’s hand actuator. Obstacles? Move the unit or conduct a hot-drop; so long as the drop-chutes work.

Those of you familiar with the specifications of the DropShips handed down to the modern day from the Star League-Era can already see the natural problem; most Combat DropShips have precious little cargo space to share out for even short-term supplies.

This is the case for several reasons;

-The designers of these now venerable vessels figured on fleets of Warships to support their armies and haul the vast multitudes of supplies needed for long-term campaigning (not short-term raiding, mind you). And if you have ever seen the specs on *those* great behemoths, you know that even unto the modern day’s near contemporary designs you find a vast outlay of internal volume and raw hauling capacity given over to bulk cargo.

-The originators of such models as the Union and Overlord had no shortage of available hulls and drop-collars to devote to carrying dedicated cargo freighters between the stars. As such, there was no perceived need to clutter an already busy design with additional facilities for consumables and follow-on support units to keep up and boost the very combat units they were already transporting.

-These designs were intended to support a form of mass, conventional warfare and even total warfare, but not generalized raiding along fronts many hundreds of lightyears long and many dozens deep.

So how did commanders of the 3rd Succession War get around these handicaps?

They cheated.

A lot. Like pirates.

Or, rather; the tactics we see used by pirates in the modern day and more recent history were actually standard procedures common to armies of 3rd succession wars carried over to the later age of mech piracy by deserting successor state officers like Helmar Valasek.

In essence; while a DropShip might easily be overloaded and operate with a reduced degree of safety, additional cargo capacity could be wheedled out of the ship in question in several different ways.

But before discussing them, a brief diversion into logistics in general and of DropShip logistics, in particular is necessary.

First of all; in any cargo carrying undertaking, presuming any kind of limited space; from the massive bays of a Leviathan Heavy Transport to the back of a Bulldog utility truck, one will tend to “Cube-Out”, before one “Weights-Out”. What this means in plain star-league English is that most supplies take up more space than weight and as such while a given cargo bay might represent a carrying capacity of any given size, it’s volume is usually not equal, in most instances to that required to meet the weight rating before the entire space is filled to capacity.

Two exceptions are spare parts and ammunition; both of which are usually very heavy. Another is military combat vehicles; also known for their high mass to size ratio.

Another little-known fact is that outside of say…the platonic Hogarthian ideal of a Lyran Mech Regiment, most DropShips overall operate at below or even well below their maximum carrying capacity at almost all times, even when their bays are “Full”. It should be noted that another exception to this rule is the stellar mining industry.

But, as every logistician knows and most every veteran of the 3rd Succession War knew as well; there is “Full” and then there is full.

If you can find the physical space; you can find spare mass to make up.

Yet another little-known datum, exclusively for the sheer paucity of interest in it’s collection and distribution is that pirate vessels suffer accidents related to over-stuffed internal spaces at a rate over 230% higher than any other space-faring group found today, but at a rate just a little worse than the ramshackle “gypsy-packed” mech haulers of the 2900s. You stack crates of ammunition and space heatsinks, secured in between pressure doors and loose in the passageways of vessels which occasionally operate in zero-G and you see what happens, hm?

But where to find enough spare capacity to ensure takeoff?

The most obvious place is the unused tonnage capacity of a vehicle bay. These commonly range in size from 50-200 tons depending on type, but simply consider that if you have a 20-ton Wasp in the same space that can just as easily hold a 100-ton King Crab, then you have 80 tons of spare capacity which could be used elsewhere. Thankfully you have some space to spare as well, which is harder to come by. Looking at a DropShip technical readout, the specs of a given bay are given as if it was full, not empty. An empty mech bay weighs 50 tons, not 100. Vehicle and Smallcraft bays are lighter because they require less additional infrastructure beyond that which is already found in or easily incorporated into the bulkheads and spaceframe of the ship itself.

Much less obvious is the wiggle room gleaned from the fuel spent in getting a DropShip to a world; you’re lighter after landing, which means that if you can find the physical volume, you can carry more of what you cart away off-world. This is how technically a Behemoth DropShip could indeed takeoff and land in an atmosphere; simply by burning fuel until it was light enough to improve the trust/weight ratio. They do have landing legs after all; but they lack sufficiently muscular attitude thrusters and sufficient structure integrity to make this safe and practical enough to attempt.

Other techniques included sacrificing food storage, escape pods, “superfluous” crew berths and even counting on one’s own casualties to make room for the loot.

The volume was harder to get to, but it was there.

If you don’t care about using the facilities of a fully-functional MechBay (if you even have one), then you can pack more than one mech into a bay and even if you go over the weight limit of one bay; you should still be fine, so long as the floor can take it (but sometimes it can’t; see above) or you can make up the extra tons from another partly-utilized bay.

You can block drop chutes and cargo ramps too, though this is riskier; you can even put things in the transitional spaces; the abbreviated passageways between the various bays and elsewhere on the ship.

So, we have the weight and we have the space; we know how the soldiers of old and pirates to the modern day use them. A few extra mechs jammed in here and there; supplies dumped from battlefists to be piled wherever was convenient.

So why not trucks? Why not engineering vehicles?

Because the kind of warfare then in vouge didn’t call for those things. They might have helped, but you could make do without, because chances are you weren’t coming there to stay or even fight a lengthy campaign.

True; a mercenary unit travelling from contract to contract might or might not tuck some jeeps in a heavy vehicle bay with a Manticore in it; so long as neither seem likely to be needed in a hurry. But they might just as well do as a house unit would do; sell, abandon, trade-off or make a gift of whatever company hacks they have on hand and buy or even lease what they need when they get where they’re going.

A higher-class outfit could well tuck a command vehicle or a coolant truck in somewhere, but mostly it didn’t matter, because even an elite unit might not have one.

Unless it was a capability especially valuable or rare, most commands could do without or “Make do” as many even do today by substituting BattleMech hands, even rudimentary “battlefists” and claws for cranes and cargo trucks. In the Succession wars, it was often `Grab and go! ` Warfare.

So, what changed?

War changed.

People will tell you war never changes. And they are right; war is like water in that it takes many forms, accepts many additives, but it is always H2O. But if you fell onto the surface of a frozen lake or a liquid one, you would surely feel the difference.

So, it was with the 4th Succession war.

Love him or hate him, even his critics acknowledge Hanse Davion as a visionary.

In his own imagination; inspired by his tutors, his own studies and fueled by a mind unshackled by convention; Hanse Davion saw within the circumstances of his day the potential for change through violent action.

But for change to come to the Inner Sphere, change needed to come to the wars that plagued it.

Hanse looked at the great campaigns of history and decided that if men of previous eras had been able to manage such grand schemes with only the tools of their antiquarian ages, then he could do so with the tools available to him. He saw that no matter what man had lost in the last 300 years, it was still in a better position technologically and in many other ways than had been Alexander and even Eisenhower of millenniums past.

Secretly rediscovered “Black Box” technology played a part in this; overcoming the crippling effects of the inevitable ComStar Embargo that any major upset to the status quo would bring.

But a greater effort in terms of training, organizing and equipping a vast military force was the return of large-scale maneuver warfare (to include deep strategic penetration and occupation; thus, the label of “Deep Warfare”) to House Davion’s armies. This included training soldiers and officers to fight and organize in new ways, but it also included using support assets in ways not seen in hundreds of years.

You just couldn’t run your supply dump out the back of a grounded mech carried stuffed to the gills with ammunition and irreplaceable spare parts. You needed more space; so, you needed a dedicated cargo DropShip, even if that meant knitting another JumpShip (usually by borrowing one from another unit, sometimes from across the breadth of the Federated Suns. And the pressures of the campaign wouldn’t allow it to just hang around either; supplies had to be dropped off; corralled in a semi-fixed locality and then trucked or flown where on a planet they were needed, while the DropShip went back for more; sometimes back several jumps.

Lost Mechs could not be left behind as the lines of battle advanced; if disabled they needed to be recovered and repaired pronto. There where not two other mechs available to drag one wreck back to the DropShip for transport to a fixed mech repair facility; it had to be done then and there in an austere, often hostile environment. That meant recovery vehicles and fitter’s rigs.

Even a unit’s organic DropShips couldn’t be depended upon to solve all problems; with an empire on the ropes, the AFFS expected DropShips to become priority targets, even for tactical nuclear weapons; anything might be on the table to halt the Davion advance. Obstacles would have to be breached and crossed; that meant bridge layers and armoured engineering vehicles.

All these facilities and more would have to built, rebuilt, captured, held and repaired. That meant military construction equipment, security vehicles, supplies, military police, trained sappers and the trucks to move them.

And all of this had to be moved by DropShip and JumpShip.

Davion had the overall capacity, barely, but not enough to do it simultaneously to the same extent on both fronts and not without stripping the other Marches and certainly not without significant coordination and cooperation.

Thus, the Galahad exercises and those leading up to them were vital on a level undreamt of by those who witnessed them from afar. The war also put a strain on House Davion’s manufacturing capacity that it would not feel the likes of again until the Clan War.

As it was; the 4th Succession War returned the standard of Warfare to the lofty position it had enjoyed centuries prior and it forced all other realms to adapt in order to keep pace.

The ritualized nature of Clan Warfare, by contrast; coupled with their willingness to aggressively employ their DropShips in order to deploy forces and with their affinity for shock action obviated much of the need for their own combat support assets during the early invasion years.

While FedCom and Draconis forces were entirely awake to the potential for demolition of key infrastructure and obstacles to slow or halt an enemy advance, this tended to enrage the Clans, if anything and they would usually respond with a typically dramatic combat drop behind whatever obstacle was thrown up in front of them. Some spheroid commanders even considered it better to fight the Clans on their own terms and benefit from Zellbrigen than to invoke their wrath in reprisal for the use of good common-sense defensive tactics. But as so much seemed to infuriate the Clans when exposed to tactics outside their narrow cultural mores of warfare, this remained a minority opinion.

For their own part; these selfsame cultural mores demanded a fast and loose approach to logistics based mainly out of follow-on lower-caste DropShips, as the Clan Toumans were basically absent any significant combat support capability of their own, save the (Very) odd point of (usually dezgra) engineers. Running their war effort out of sacrosanct DropShips with a handful of unarmed HoverTrucks was just fine so far as it went, but when forced into grinding campaigns of attrition and sustained operations, as typified by Tukayyid and the Task Force: Serpent operation; Clan forced suffered grievously.

Many historians sum this up as Clan forces not having the supplies for long-term engagements and this is correct. The vast majority of Clusters always went into action with nothing more than the ammo in their bays. But everything else; repair parts, more ammunition and alternate OmniPods were present on their own follow-on DropShips. There was just no infrastructure to rapidly move these items to where they were needed.

Nor did Clan tactics take this requirement into account. There was no concept of holding a forward secured area to establish a location to re-arm and conduct hasty repairs. It just wasn’t done; Clan Warriors either returned to their DropShips, or; after the battle was over, the DropShips came to them and they repaired and re-configured for the next battle.

Once they got over their initial shock, spheroid and periphery observers were quite certain that the Clan mode of warfare must eventually falter in the face of anything less ritualized. To the modern day, however most Clans have adapted little to this and those that have established caste-bending units of combat storesmen and women or larger combat-engineer formations have done so only in a limited fashion, with great difficulty.

One exception were the now-extinct Clan Ice Hellion’s Flurry units; but these were properly combined-arms combat units which specialized with absconding with battlefield salvage in the midst of the action and not true combat-support formations. In any case, this is a tactic not widely adopted by the extant Clans.

Despite this, the Clans remain as an extremely credible threat due to their belligerent nature, superior technology and high-quality output of their warriors. It seems unlikely the Clans will adapt in this way in the future to any great extent. If any do, it will most likely be the outlier Hell’s Horses and Diamond Sharks, certainly it will never be the Jade Falcons and even the more pragmatic Wolves seem unlikely to change so drastically. What does seem likely is an attempt by the Clans to further evolve and refine their own way of war in such a way as to make it more effective in such environments and less vulnerable to the capabilities the Inner Sphere powers have embraced.

In the Inner Sphere and periphery, the recovery of technology has made it possible to more readily access units such as MASH vehicles, coolant trucks and Mobile HQs; so, this has only swelled the ranks and impact of combat support formations. Meanwhile, the form warfare takes outside the Clan’s internecine squabbles has only become more granular and layered with supply chains in space and on the ground, along with obstacle clearing and creating taking on ever-greater importance.

Mine warfare is a key component for instance of any conflict with house Liao and featured heavily in the FedCom Civil war as well, while partisans in the halcyon days of the Chaos march and right up through the Jihad made sport of the supply convoys vital to continued ground operations.

Modern commanders now consider combat support capability and capacity with all the fervor of the newly converted. Contrasts of the fully developed system of the Inner Sphere powers against the Clans have cemented this and it is thought likely that if another collapse in technology were to come, that alongside the newly acknowledged worth of conventional forces, combat support assets would not go quietly into the dark as has happened once before.

With the continuing Strategic Arms Limitation Talks ongoing between the Republic and her allies, it can be surmised from the results seen so far that with the reduction in BattleMech forces and Fusion Engine production, warfare will revert to a less dynamic, more grinding form in which Combat Support assets will play an even wider role. While the possibility of an even more ritualized form of warfare than that seen during the Succession Wars might result, there is no broad collapse of technology on the horizon (So far as we know) which would see less attention-grabbing forces cannibalized in budget debates or in the tech’s shops in order to maintain flashier, high-tech units.

It is thought the impact this will have in the future will be to further cement the status quo as hostile territories and armies become harder to take and hold and better able to “take a punch” than ever before.

A.E. Housman

marauder648

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #255 on: 13 July 2017, 00:20:28 »
an amazingly well written and thought out take on the logistics of the B-tech universe. Amazing stuff as always, it reads like a lecture or briefing and is superbly thought out. Superb as always!

beachhead1985

• Major
    • Kilroy's Wall
« Reply #256 on: 15 July 2017, 05:03:12 »
an amazingly well written and thought out take on the logistics of the B-tech universe. Amazing stuff as always, it reads like a lecture or briefing and is superbly thought out. Superb as always!

Thanks, as always Marauder!

As I work on "Jine The Cavalry", I realize I'm nearing the end of my article series and I'm looking foreward at what I might do next. I'd be very interested to hear any suggestions as to what the people who follow this thread are most interested in regards to the Der Tag AU.

A.E. Housman

marauder648

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #257 on: 15 July 2017, 13:06:38 »
I can't remember if you've talked much about battle armour doctrine and the like.  I'd love to see your thoughts on the evolution of Battle armour from being pure anti-mech to police or mobile artillery or scout and stealth, its uses, its weakensses etc.

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Clan Hells Horses 666th Mech. Assualt Cluster
« Reply #258 on: 15 July 2017, 13:19:30 »
Anything on specialists, such as fire rescue or space oriented?

TT
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse
That is, if true tanker doesn't beat me to it. He makes truly evil units.Col.Hengist on 31 May 2013
TT, we know you are the master of nasty  O0 ~ Fletch on 22 June 2013
If I'm attacking you, conventional wisom says to bring 3x your force.  I want extra insurance, so I'll bring 4 for every 1 of what you have :D ~ Tai Dai Cultist on 21 April 2016
Me: Would you rather fight my Epithymía Thanátou from the Whispers of Blake?
Nav_Alpha: That THING... that is horrid
~ Nav_Alpha on 10 October 2016

beachhead1985

• Major
    • Kilroy's Wall
« Reply #259 on: 16 July 2017, 14:55:09 »
I can't remember if you've talked much about battle armour doctrine and the like.  I'd love to see your thoughts on the evolution of Battle armour from being pure anti-mech to police or mobile artillery or scout and stealth, its uses, its weakensses etc.

That's a niche I haven't covered. I've looked at battle armour from a logistical and tactical standpoint and this included a decent treatment of the weapon systems, but I don't think I covered specialist types very much or at all. I could sure do that.

Anything on specialists, such as fire rescue or space oriented?

TT

Are you talking about such as specialist infantry from the 3145 TRO series, Truetanker or more like specialized mechs, vehicles, Battle Armour, ect tailored to those roles?

Because one thing I have been thinking about is a Technical Readout: 3099/Der Tag which would be a traditional-styled TRO look at notable units of the era, with some timely throwbacks ala TRO3058. Something like that could easily have a few specialist units of that nature in it.

A.E. Housman

DOC_Agren

• Major
« Reply #260 on: 18 July 2017, 19:29:15 »

I would like to second this comment  [metalhealth] [metalhealth]
"For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast, And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed:And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill, And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still!"

beachhead1985

• Major
    • Kilroy's Wall
« Reply #261 on: 18 July 2017, 20:58:23 »
I would like to second this comment  [metalhealth] [metalhealth]

Thanks Doc!

Is my mental health in jeopardy or yours? Because I'm way beyond economical repairability; the cat says so! But as a member of a veteran's well-being network; I am always ready to help others!

A.E. Housman

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Clan Hells Horses 666th Mech. Assualt Cluster
« Reply #262 on: 18 July 2017, 21:15:46 »
The second one, units designed or forced to take up the roles.

TT
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse
That is, if true tanker doesn't beat me to it. He makes truly evil units.Col.Hengist on 31 May 2013
TT, we know you are the master of nasty  O0 ~ Fletch on 22 June 2013
If I'm attacking you, conventional wisom says to bring 3x your force.  I want extra insurance, so I'll bring 4 for every 1 of what you have :D ~ Tai Dai Cultist on 21 April 2016
Me: Would you rather fight my Epithymía Thanátou from the Whispers of Blake?
Nav_Alpha: That THING... that is horrid
~ Nav_Alpha on 10 October 2016

beachhead1985

• Major
    • Kilroy's Wall
« Reply #263 on: 18 July 2017, 21:37:26 »
The second one, units designed or forced to take up the roles.

TT

Don't have any of that done up in the TRO:3099 folder

But I have a TON of specialized support vehicles designed and used by the SLDFiE that would fit in that description.

I see TRO:3099 as more like designs "From the AU", but also stuff people could legit use in their own non-AU games.

The SLDF stuff is more like entries from a Jane's book. You notice that I actually care about the support assets? Vehicle Annex remains one of my favourite publications ever and I have a file like that with 310 entries in it. Some of the highlights that would fit in the Fire/Rescue/Space category would be;

AmbMover MasCasBus
Aurtochs Crash Plow
Byrd Exploration and Exploitation Vehicle
Contractor OmniConstruction Platform
Destrier Decontamination Vehicle
Destrier Firetruck
Destrier Light MASH
Destrier Medical Support Truck
Destrier Pre/Post-Op
Dragon's Teeth Space Mine-Laying Satellite
Fiddler Crab Beach Recovery Vehicle
Fixer Medical Support Trailer
Flemming Spy Satellite
Frontier Hostile Environment Trailer
Ghoul Salvagemech
Hercules Model 51 Recovery Tractor
Hippo Combat Ambulance
Lifeline Heavy MASH
London-Class Fire Engine
MedBus Ambulance
MkL CommSat
MkLI CommSat
SeaBee Hostile Environment Pioneer
Smuggler's Alley Cargo Satellite
Watchfire Early Warning Satellite

I also had a heavy Decon vehicle called the Slotin somewhere and a submersible bulldozer (I made custom rules for submersible tanks). The above may not be an exhaustive list. I certain found that when I managed to move the TO&E project forward, I averaged a new Destrier variant about every other time I worked on it.

On that note; anyone have experience building mobile structures? I wanted to add a couple to the TRO:3099 file and I could use some help.

A.E. Housman

beachhead1985

• Major
    • Kilroy's Wall
« Reply #264 on: 29 July 2017, 18:02:59 »
Due to revelations in TRO:SW, I feel like I should make it clear to anyone new to the thread that the 3rd League alluded to in TRO: SW and the 3rd League in Der Tag aren't connected by anything I know of, besides the name.

I'm not saying I had the idea first; I did not. I just want to make sure that everyone knows that, this being an AU, the diversion point between Der Tag and the Canon is sometime in the early 3000s, when the oldest of the main characters is born.

A.E. Housman

beachhead1985

• Major
    • Kilroy's Wall
« Reply #265 on: 04 October 2017, 21:51:31 »
I really appreciate everyone being so patient. I have had some major life changes occur and come into view in the near future, but writing is done on "Jine The Cavalry" and editing is at about 60%. So I will post that soon.

As well I have a few jots on the SALT treaties to share and I am almost done another article that kind of jammed-up my head while writing Jine the Cavalry and wouldn't go away and let me work until I gave it some attention.
« Last Edit: 06 October 2017, 15:56:25 by beachhead1985 »

A.E. Housman

beachhead1985

• Major
    • Kilroy's Wall
« Reply #266 on: 06 October 2017, 17:13:57 »
Enjoy! This kind of ended up as; "Everything you could possbly want to know about tanks in Der Tag, but hope your life will never depend on knowing." Any Tread-Heads here?

In addition; I'd like opinions on the portions covering The Clans and also my ideas on maintenance.

It's big, so I hope dropbox is still working for people.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ab6y1uonjgsp4ck/jine%20the%20cavalry.docx?dl=0

A.E. Housman

marauder648

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #267 on: 07 October 2017, 00:14:35 »
Always glad to see this updated, will read when I get to work!

beachhead1985

• Major
    • Kilroy's Wall
« Reply #268 on: 07 October 2017, 22:12:35 »
Here is a summary if the various important treaties in place in Der Tag.

These are important, because while politics factors heavily in Der Tag, it pivots around a framework of law; not force of individual novel-driving personalities.

Also; the do affect the military situation quite a bit as well, especially as they help determine when military operations against a foriegn power can occur "Legitimately".

One thing I deliberately did not cover are the many and varied peace treaties and non-aggression pacts in place. The short version is that no-one is supposed to fight anyone else or the RAF will be cross with you. The Succession Wars are officially over by general consensus. From here on out, we need a new name for humanity's endless wars. Or so Terra would tell us.

3065 2nd League Laws of War

-The Formal rules by which the 2nd SLDF waged war and under which the SLDFiE still consider themselves bound.
--All Full and Probationary member states signed these into law, but all save the Draconis Combine and Capellan Confederation consider them null and void.

3084 Whitting Naval Treaty

-Establishes a halt on all current warship production until at least 3090 and establishes tonnage limits for what each signatory nation may possess in terms of warships and PWS. Basically it says that was the signatories have now, plus a little bit more, maybe is okay, but beyond that, it's an act of war against all the other signatories. This is adjusted for the territory each state must cover.
-Limits the rate at which extant warships may be refurbished, post-war
-Permits certain assets for warship production to remain in place but mandates Republic monitoring of these facilities and severely curtails their use by the major powers. A motion to recognize these localities as open regions, outside of any national sovereignty is vetoed by the Republic.
--All the Major Powers and Clan Wolf-in-Exile signed.

3084 Caph Treaty

-Formal acceptance by the Lyran Commonwealth, Federated Suns, Former FWL worlds, ComStar and Draconis Combine of all Republic Territorial Ambitions.
--RAF Forces enforce non-aggression pacts between all signatories.

3085 SALT I

-SALT stands for Strategic Arms Limitation Talks. So-named not because the arms being limited are strategic in nature, but because there is a strategy to their limitation.
-Limits fusion engine production, makes no allowances for stockpiling of additional engines and minimal spares and parts
-places controls and monitoring on all extant weapons production, replacing the old (2821) ComStar Disarmament Treaty
-Formal re-acceptance of ComStar Arms Proliferation Monitoring personnel to all signatories (The Only part of the Treaty the Capellan Delegation would even look at)
-Limits Battlemech production, refurbishment and stockpiling
-Limits Military Dropship Construction, but mainly as an economic measure, with variable sunset clauses incentivizing faster civil economic recovery.
-Lays out what other military equipment may be stockpiled for later use and how much
-Establishes a schedule for disarmament of some weapons systems, particularly mechs and nukes, which all signatories are to meet.
--Signed by FS, DC, LC, Former FWL, TC, CP, MC, and Republic

3086 Mars Accords

-Almost word for word restoration of the Ares Conventions
--Signed by FS, DC, LC, CC, Former FWL, CWIE, TC, CC, MC, Republic, RA, RC

3088 SALT II

-Renegotiation of certain aspects of the the Whitting Naval Treaty to permit the DCMS to build a deterrent fleet to counter the Ghost Bears.
-Proposes extensive Nuclear, Biological and Chemical Disarmament, which only the Federated Suns fully Ratifies
-Wide-ranging limitations on the development of various "Super-Weapon" Concepts which may or may not have been salvaged from WOB labs.
-Additional limits and disarmament/drawdown schedules for conventional forces.
--At least partly ratified by DC, LC, Former FWL, Republic, CWIE. The Federated Suns signed off on everything.

3090 SALT III

-Republic-sponsored clauses to permit past signatories to refurbish and expend their nuclear anti-shipping missile stockpiles as a deterrent to WOB remnants and the SLDFiE
-Total Halt on research into "Super-Jump" technology.
-Ban on Protomech research
--Signatories; FS, DC, LC, Republic, Former FWL, TC (as the Taurians never signed SALT II, signing on to SALT III was likely just a way to politically redeem a part of their extant nuclear stockpiles)

3091 SALT IV

-Halt to any and all K-F research then ongoing or proposed.
-Ban on Cybernetics and neural interface Research
--Signatories; FS, DC, LC, Republic, Former FWL, TC, CP

3094 SALT V

-establishes limits on production of advanced combat vehicles.
-Update to SALT I/II Drawdown/Disarmament schedules
--Signatories; FS, DC, LC, Republic, Former FWL, MC

3096 Luna Accords

-Recognizes the formation and continued right to exist of the Andurian Pact.
-Signatories; DC, FS, LC, Republic, Former FWL, MC, TC, RA, CWIE, GBD

3099 Hull Anti-Inhumane Weapons Treaty (Not fully in force by 31 Dec 3099, but partial ratified by several nations and beginning to be felt)

-Places restrictions, limitations and outright bans on various weapons and casualty-producing effects deemed "inhumane" by various Republic Experts.
--Signatories; FS, LC, Republic, CWIE, GBD, RA, CW

A.E. Housman

marauder648

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #269 on: 09 October 2017, 03:54:19 »
Having just read the AFV article, can I just say bravo!  A well thought out, cleverly put and damn extensive write up on Armoured vehicles, their use, deployment and production levels in the Battletech universe!

Register