Author Topic: MW4 (Any of them) in Windows 10  (Read 27623 times)

Stinger

• Freelance Artist
  • Lieutenant
  • Artist, Writer, 3D Modeler Extraordinaire
MW4 (Any of them) in Windows 10
« on: 06 March 2016, 22:21:54 »
Okay all, I've got questions.

First, has anyone had any luck getting MW4 of any flavor to run in windows 10?

I have all 3 installed, and they were working in win 7.  Upgrade to windows 10, and they are suddenly a no-go.  I've already re-run the autoconfig and I am running them in windows xp SP3 backwards compatibility mode.

Executable starts, runs for about 1-2 seconds and then closes.  So fast it doesn't appear on the task bar, and only in task manager.

Thoughts? The PC is a Win 10, Intel i5 2500K, GTX 770 Graphics.

pheonixstorm

• Major
Re: MW4 (Any of them) in Windows 10
« Reply #1 on: 06 March 2016, 23:56:32 »
Does MW4 spit out an error log at all? I know some games do but not every game creates one.

Optionally you can check the windows event log to see if anything shows up.

Empyrus

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #2 on: 07 March 2016, 08:52:22 »
MW4V, MW4Mercs and MW4Mercs with MekTek MekPak all work for me. The only problem, as i said in another thread, is that mouse buttons are not recognized usually in-game.

No trickery needed, they just ran normally.

Stinger

• Freelance Artist
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #3 on: 07 March 2016, 19:39:16 »
Nothing pops up, but I did grab this from the event viewer:

Faulting application name: MW4.exe, version: 1.6.11.220, time stamp: 0x39660360
Faulting module name: MW4.exe, version: 1.6.11.220, time stamp: 0x39660360
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x0000e414
Faulting process id: 0x7dc
Faulting application start time: 0x01d178d29455041b
Faulting application path: E:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\MechWarrior Vengeance\MW4.exe
Faulting module path: E:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\MechWarrior Vengeance\MW4.exe
Report Id: 98554667-50e0-4a88-abb4-3ac1925f23c8
Faulting package full name:
Faulting package-relative application ID:

It looks like a "Exception code: 0xc0000005" is an Access Violation error. Any thoughts?

elf25s

• Major
« Reply #4 on: 08 March 2016, 13:07:09 »
Nothing pops up, but I did grab this from the event viewer:

Faulting application name: MW4.exe, version: 1.6.11.220, time stamp: 0x39660360
Faulting module name: MW4.exe, version: 1.6.11.220, time stamp: 0x39660360
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x0000e414
Faulting process id: 0x7dc
Faulting application start time: 0x01d178d29455041b
Faulting application path: E:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\MechWarrior Vengeance\MW4.exe
Faulting module path: E:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\MechWarrior Vengeance\MW4.exe
Report Id: 98554667-50e0-4a88-abb4-3ac1925f23c8
Faulting package full name:
Faulting package-relative application ID:

It looks like a "Exception code: 0xc0000005" is an Access Violation error. Any thoughts?

win 10 the demon yu can bash over the head and fail to win...
i suggest running the launcher in admin mode and find out which emulation works from xp and above if that fails try getting a virtual machine(VM MS has one on site look for it) that emulates the windows xp runtime and take it from there...good luck you will need it
you sure cannot out run death...but sure as hell you can make that bastard work for it!

Battleclad

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #5 on: 25 March 2016, 03:44:56 »
Works fine for me but you could try this fix:

1. Disable anti-virus whilst you do this
2. Right click Start
3. Click Programs and Features
4. Click Turn Windows features on or off
5. Make sure there is a check in Legacy Components
6. Click the + to expand
7. Check the box for DirectPlay

This is also handy for older games but only use it if you get random crashes.

http://simswiki.info/wiki.php?title=Sims_3:CFF_Explorer

Kidd

• Major
« Reply #6 on: 25 March 2016, 04:14:16 »
MW4V, MW4Mercs and MW4Mercs with MekTek MekPak all work for me. The only problem, as i said in another thread, is that mouse buttons are not recognized usually in-game.

No trickery needed, they just ran normally.
Which game version did you get? Did they work in Windows 8 too? What graphic card are you running if I may ask? Because the problem for me is that the GUI is completely borked, pixeling and blank black spaces all over the startup menu even though installation was fine. Tried all the tricks, no dice.

Ever since I gave up Windows XP I have not tasted the joys of MW4 Mercs, sigh...

Empyrus

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #7 on: 25 March 2016, 15:23:12 »
Let's see, Vengeance is EU release, "Ubisoft Exclusive". I always patch it to latest version naturally. MW4Mercs is the same kind thing. MekTek MekPak files i have include MW4Mercs as well, latest version.
On my laptop, with Win 7, i have Nvidia GT630M, though i believe i've tried the game with integrated GPU as well (Can't recall which CPU it is, some Intel dual core).
On this PC, Radeon R9 390, Windows 10.

Never have had Win8 PC.

I do recall that some compatibility mode cause the games not to launch, or just show black screen or something like that.

Can't run any more tests now, needed to uninstall the games for extra space. 500GB SSD doesn't cut it...

Kidd

• Major
« Reply #8 on: 25 March 2016, 17:41:37 »
Let's see, Vengeance is EU release, "Ubisoft Exclusive". I always patch it to latest version naturally. MW4Mercs is the same kind thing. MekTek MekPak files i have include MW4Mercs as well, latest version.
On my laptop, with Win 7, i have Nvidia GT630M, though i believe i've tried the game with integrated GPU as well (Can't recall which CPU it is, some Intel dual core).
On this PC, Radeon R9 390, Windows 10.

Never have had Win8 PC.

I do recall that some compatibility mode cause the games not to launch, or just show black screen or something like that.

Can't run any more tests now, needed to uninstall the games for extra space. 500GB SSD doesn't cut it...
Thanks. Its Win 8 that seems to be the problem, that and the Nvidia integrated graphics. Most other combos I've seen on the internet seem to have workarounds of some sort.

Battleclad

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #9 on: 26 March 2016, 03:59:40 »
Only other workaround I can think of that you might benefit from is running in XP SP2 and as an admin, that said I skipped windows 8 so no idea how it plays with that.

Kidd

• Major
« Reply #10 on: 26 March 2016, 05:54:33 »
Only other workaround I can think of that you might benefit from is running in XP SP2 and as an admin, that said I skipped windows 8 so no idea how it plays with that.
Nope, believe me I've tried all the options. Only thing I can think of is patching through to Mektek Mekpak cause I usually use the vanilla install.

Update: Downloaded Mektek Mekpak and patched it all, no dice. Interface borked with no arrow pointer and most of the interface missing. It just doesn't work on Windows 8.1 with integrated graphics.
« Last Edit: 29 March 2016, 21:18:19 by Kidd »

MadCatBob

• Sergeant
« Reply #11 on: 20 April 2016, 10:35:50 »
This is for windows 7, but maybe it will help.  I had Mechwarrior 4 Mercs installed and I tried to start it up today, but it would crash within moments of starting and give exception code 0000005.    After checking to see if I had the latest patch (I did), I fiddled with compatibility settings and the 'run as administrator' checkbox for a few minutes to no avail. 

Finally I uninstalled the game and then reinstalled from the cd, bypassing the autorun by first setting the 'run as administrator' box for the setup program, and then running the setup program from windows explorer.  The game installed normally.  I then patched it with to the latest official version, and it ran just fine.

Stinger

• Freelance Artist
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #12 on: 21 April 2016, 08:15:42 »
Thanks all for the responses.

Still haven't been able to get it to work, so I pulled out my backup plan.  More specifically, a desktop PC from 2003.

Runs like a charm! No problems at all :D

Kidd

• Major
« Reply #13 on: 13 March 2017, 04:58:51 »
I'm very excited, I just got Mechwarrior 4 Mercs with Mekpak 3.1 running on Windows 10, like, 5 minutes ago!

The secret weapon is dgVoodoo, a graphics wrapper for legacy games. I followed a Reddit thread (look for Mechwarrior 4 Mercenaries on Windows 10). I ran it on my laptop which only has integrated graphics. It looked good but ran very choppy, mainly because I haven't jiggled the graphics settings - I can run Call of Duty Modern Warfare with low graphics on this laptop, so Mechwarrior should certainly not be a problem.

So for my next experiment, I am going to break out my old CDs, reinstall the pure vanilla original game, get dgVoodoo, and see how that goes.

Legend

• Recruit
« Reply #14 on: 13 March 2017, 11:11:26 »
Thanks. Its Win 8 that seems to be the problem, that and the Nvidia integrated graphics. Most other combos I've seen on the internet seem to have workarounds of some sort.

Replying to an old quote, but just another thing to check. I put together a windows 8.1 with nvidia graphics about 3 days ago. In order to get mercenaries to display correctly I had to make sure I selected my graphics card in the autoconfig otherwise I had the problems you described (pixelation, textures looking strange, etc.).

swammeyjoe

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Private
« Reply #15 on: 08 April 2017, 12:29:13 »
I had this problem for a long time running both the MekTek and the CD version of MW4:Mercs. Solved it by disabling my Adobe Creative Cloud updater. Have no idea why that did it but turning it on caused the startup crash to return.

Positron

• Recruit
« Reply #16 on: 15 September 2017, 22:13:35 »
I found my CD's recently but the DRM would not recognize my actual CD was in the drive.
Finding the right info took a few weeks, but once I found it setup was relatively easy.

First off, MechWarrior is double abandonware. First Microsoft abandoned it, then MekTek modded it and abandoned it a 2nd time. Here is the link. Be sure to get the MekTek version. It has all the MW4 mechs, maps and DLC.

https://www.myabandonware.com/download/3b0-mechwarrior-4-mercenaries

The problem I had was my video card was unrecognized. DXwnd fixed that, but it has such granular options I had to follow the instructions. This applies to Nvidia but it should work for AMD.

https://sourceforge.net/projects/dxwnd/

> If you get the "Your current hardware or driver setup is not compatible with MechWarrior 4. Please contact your hardware manufacturer for more information. See Readme.rtf for a list of known issues." error this should get the game running on your system. I'm running Windows 10 x64 with a GTX670 on the latest drivers.
>
> Fire up DXwnd as administrator, set DXwnd to expert mode in the options then drag autoconfig_MERCS.exe into DXwnd's window.
>
> A settings window should open up. If not, right click on the autoconfig_MERCS.exe entry and click modify.
>
> In the DirectX tab set it to use the DirectX 10 hook and click okay.
>
> Now double click on autoconfig_MERCS.exe in DXwnd and it should run. Select your GPU and click Continue.
>
> Now drag MW4Mercs.exe into DXwnd
>
> Right click on MW4Mercs.exe and select modify again.
>
> In the Main tab uncheck "Run in Window" and check "Aquire admin caps"
>
> In the Hook tab select "Inject suspended process" under injection mode.
>
> In the Video tab select "Free" under Window size & Position
>
> In the DirectX tab select "DirectX8" under DirectX version hook.
>
> Click OK and double click on MW4Mercs.exe from within DXwnd and it should now run.
>
> You will probably need to set your desired resolution by editing the options.ini in your mech4 mercs directory.
>
> You may need to make sure you don't have any compatability options set on both executables. Select MW4Mercs.exe and click Tools>Clear compatability tags just to be sure.
>
> If you find you can't move the mouse, uncheck "correct mouse position" in the input tab.
>
> Let me know if you have any problems, remember to run DXwnd as admin and I hope this helps some of you.

I finally got it working Woo Hoo! The menu screens are at 800x600 but the game runs at 1080p. It's just as fun as I remember, but I needed to play with the control options. It prefers to use a controller rather than mouse and keyboard.