Author Topic: (Answered) Hacking Satellites: Manned vs Unmanned, and ECM effects  (Read 1782 times)

Cryhavok101

• Captain
Regarding the Satellite rules starting on TO pg 193

It says:
These rules assume that the players in question are not actively deploying Satellite units in a scenario, but instead require a generalized set of rules for how to use whatever Satellites may be in orbit around a planet.

Are the generic satellites in this set of rules all unmanned?

Can the rules for hacking these satellites (bottom of first column on pg 194) be used on a purposefully deployed manned satellite?

On page 196-197 it talks about the effects of ECM on these rules. Specifically it talks about the unit trying to uplink to the satellite being in the effects radius. I was wondering, is the communication also blocked if the satellite has a ECM (that is hostile to the person trying to hack the satellite) on itself? I would assume so, but didn't see it stated plainly.

Xotl

• Dominus Erratorum
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Professor of Errata
Q) Are the generic satellites in this set of rules all unmanned?

A) The term "generic satellite" is used to mean "those not specifically specified in a scenario", as per the second para under "Establishing Uplink" on the same page.  So it's not like there's a record sheet to check.  So, "unmanned".  As a house rule, roll 2D6: 2-8 small satellite, unmanned; 9 medium manned; 10-11 medium unmanned; 12 large manned (these odds based off the description of satellites on TO p. 148).

Q) Can the rules for hacking these satellites (bottom of first column on pg 194) be used on a purposefully deployed manned satellite?

Yes.  Satellites are deployed so that people are able to connect to them.  As a house rule, I'd allow a manned satellite a chance to cancel a 'hostile' uplink, using the same rolls as those used to hack an uplink.

On page 196-197 it talks about the effects of ECM on these rules. Specifically it talks about the unit trying to uplink to the satellite being in the effects radius. I was wondering, is the communication also blocked if the satellite has a ECM (that is hostile to the person trying to hack the satellite) on itself? I would assume so, but didn't see it stated plainly.

ECM mounted on a Satellite does not prevent uplinks from being made or hacked.
3028-3057 Random Assignment Tables -
Also contains faction deployment & rarity info.

http://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=1219.0

Register