Author Topic: The Sohei: O5P Warrior Monks  (Read 97397 times)

Takiro

• Lieutenant
  • BattleTech: Salient Horizon
    • Your BattleTech
The Sohei: O5P Warrior Monks
« on: 12 January 2017, 17:58:34 »
Hey gang, long ago this idea popped into my head and has had many different versions in my home campaigns. With your help I'd like to bring everything together into a unified vision for my alternate BT setting.

So first off the idea. O5P brings together a Mech unit which is similar to the Capellan Warrior Houses and Clans in some ways which of course is utterly devoted to the Draconis Combine (House Kurita). Yes it has that mystical tinge which pervades O5P and takes on a traditionalist overtone which is geared towards the 'Japanification' of the realm. Mechwarriors are all about the art of their trade in much the same way as samurai and martial artists who refine said skills over the ages.

I am not sure if this will go full fledged as the opposite of the St. Marinus House on Zaniah III which was said to be a Christian monastery which served as a sanctuary for Mechwarriors particularly those with the Phantom Mech Ability. Certainly would be an interesting base for the unit/group.

For their headquarters or base I was thinking Soul near New Samarkand. In the Lancelot BattleMech fluff (TRO2750) it said the planet was home to Major SLDF Proving Grounds. And a Crockett/Katana factory (Blackenberg Industries I think) is also located there. I had named it the Sanctum Bellorum which is like the O5P HQ except in latin would mean War Sanctuary.

It could have existed for years prior I was thinking but again resistance from the DCMS who would not approve of organizations like the ISF, O5P, or DCA fielding Mech units of their own. However events culminate in such a fashion in my story for such an event to take place.

Name wise I had long gone with the Brotherhood of the Sword which was taken directly from Star Trek DS9 and the Klingon special order. To that end the Sword Brothers, or Kensai was another name which of course was from D&D. So I would like to come up with something better if possible. What does MechWarrior translate to in Japanese for example? That could be one possible idea.

Another story seed was the Blood Lineage Project also called the Tiamat Project. Essentially the Combine’s own attempt to produce genetically bred soldiers similar to the Clans Eugenics program. So many of the last names in the unit you'd be familiar with like Kurita, McAlister, Sorenson, basically any notable Draconis family mentioned in the texts. Candidates would be carefully selected by O5P although recipients of the Order of the Dragon would be automatically chosen for the honor.

Also had special ranking conventions for the unit

Illuminati
High Master   Commander of the Brotherhood
Master      District Liaison
Overseer           Prefecture Liaison
Sage              Forward ARC Commander
   Adepts
Paragon      Regiment / Aero Regiment
Exemplar           Battalion / Wing
Vindicator      Company / Squadron
Attendant      Lance / Flight / Platoon
   Neophytes
Votary      Chief Noncommissioned Officer
Adherent      Mechwarrior / Pilot / Squad CO
Disciple      Experienced Warriors
Initiate      New Warriors

So please let me know what you think. Love to get your input!
« Last Edit: 09 April 2017, 18:42:39 by Takiro »

Tai Dai Cultist

• Lieutenant Colonel
Re: Order of Five Pillars Mechwarrior Unit
« Reply #1 on: 12 January 2017, 18:15:33 »
I could see it as a plausible experiment the Combine might take in an alternate timeline to address the Trueborns of the Clans.... sort of an ironic turn of fates where the Kuritans are now starting up their own Gunslingers program analogue to address the DCMS's deficiencies vs the descendants of the SLDF.  I mean, is it less "unrealistic" than, say, allowing your domestic organized crime cartels train & equip a sizeable portion of your army? :D

I agree that the DCMS would spit and cry over someone else coming in on their turf of fielding MechWarriors... but in my own headcanon I like the idea of DCA Marine units fielding tanks & Mechs, so I can certainly excuse the poaching on DCMS turf :D  Given the differences in politics between the DC and the CC, I think that a O5P "Warrior House" analogue wouldn't get to go fully autonomous like the Warrior Houses are from the CCAF.  The Department of War (which controls both the DCMS and DCA) would surely not permit such a separation... even the Coordinator's own "private" regiments, the Swords of Light, are subject to such oversight even if they do have a large degree of independence from DCMS Warlord control.  There'd probably be some DCMS liason office/officer, who probably has a not-necessarily unstated interest in seeing the O5P project fail.  Not to mention chronic "can't keep their hands to themselves" shenanigans (covert sabotage and overt politicking) from the ISF who certainly wouldn't like to see their rival get established as a mech force in their own right.

Takiro

• Lieutenant
    • Your BattleTech
« Reply #2 on: 13 January 2017, 20:17:11 »
Great point TDC, I had not considered the interesting historic parallels such a program would draw from the Ronin v. Gunslinger conflicts of the Star League era. I don't want to get sidetracked on a conversation on the Ghost Regiments or a Marine unit which I am thinking about too.

The idea for a Draconis Warrior Born Program would not start until 3051 at the earliest and has several hurdles to overcome. They certainly don't have access to Clan Breeding Tech (aka the Iron Wombs) or their Refined Genetic Materials (over 200 hundred years or 10 plus generations). You need set up time and it is going to be 16+ years (3067+) before the first 'Dragonborn' would enter service.

So the first generation of this unit would be select recruits and volunteers.

Agreed that the unit would have to be part of the Department of War like the Sword of Light, not sure what their exact relationship would be to the DCMS. Would a Warlord have any control over them? Likely if posted to their Military District, perhaps this gives the Galedon Warlord a special unit he can call upon and he actually approves? But yes there has to be some nefarious DCMS and ISF oversight present here perhaps making those two rival organizations allies in this respect.

I am not an expert on Japanese translations but what would you think of Mechasenshi? It takes 'Mecha' which was originally a Japanese abbreviation and adds 'senshi' which means warrior.

Over on OBT Ice Hellion pointed out that O5P is the center for martial arts training in the Draconis Combine. So why not have MechWarrior as just another martial art?

To that end he suggested applying the Dan system to their ranks which I did along with some other Japanese terms.

Illuminati (Flag Officers)
Sosho          Grand Master      Commanding Officer
Wakasosho  Young Master      Successor and Executive Officer
Roshi           Old Teacher       
Senpai         Senior or Upperclassman
   Adepts (Field Officers)
Judan
Kudan
Hachidan
Schidan
Rokudan   
   Neophytes (Enlisted Personnel)
Godan          Master Level Practitioner (Shidoin)  Chief Noncommissioned Officer
Yondan
Sandan        Instructor Level (Sensei)                 Sergeant / MechWarrior
Nidan
Shodan        Beginning Level                              Entry Level Recruit

Most of these were pulled directly from Wikipedia, link below.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dan_(rank)

Also as a side note I am researching Yorinaga Kurita more who was exiled to a zen monastery on Echo V. The Kurita dueling system is very interesting as well. Reading up on the battles between Kurita and Kell there are several 'honors' observed which could serve as the core for a codified zellbrigen for these Draconian warriors.

Ice Hellion

• Master Sergeant
  • Part-time builder of fallen empires
« Reply #3 on: 14 January 2017, 01:00:30 »
Over on OBT Ice Hellion pointed out that O5P is the center for martial arts training in the Draconis Combine. So why not have MechWarrior as just another martial art?

To that end he suggested applying the Dan system to their ranks which I did along with some other Japanese terms.

I just wanted to say that the DCMS and the O5P might be closer than we think and that it could be a lesser problem for them to be allowed to field 'Mech units.
And the other ranking system was to be consistent with the martial arts training while giving them a more Japanese feeling.
In turn they tested each Clan namesake
In trial against the ice hellion's mettle.
Each chased the ice hellion, hunting it down.
All faild to match the predator's speed and grace.
Khan Cage smiled and said. "And that is how we shall be."

The Remembrance, Passage 5, Verse 3, Lines 1-5

Archangel

• Major
« Reply #4 on: 14 January 2017, 02:40:25 »
We know that the O5P trained MechWarriors since Tomoe, Theodore Kurita's wife, was one, so it would come as no surprise that the O5P might keep a unit handy.  However, they would, more than likely, keep such a unit small and would rarely deploy it lest they attract official scrutiny, less by the DCMS than the ISF, who would be very unhappy that the O5P would once again be getting involved in matters beyond their mandate.

As a result such a unit wouldn't have their own official unit insignia or colors but would instead disguise themselves as somebody else perhaps a DCMS unit, a mercenary unit or maybe even an ISF black ops unit.  Masquerading as other units would have the added benefit of misdirecting attention to somebody else.  Hey if it worked for ComStar for more than two centuries, why wouldn't it work for the O5P?

Why an ISF black ops unit after what I said above?  Easy, who would dare question the commander of an ISF black ops unit?   ;)  If a DCMS commander or an ISF agent needed to know then they would have been told.  If not then it is none of their business and asking too many questions about classified ISF ops is a sure way to end up in an ISF interrogation cell.

I see them fielding perhaps a 'Mech battalion, a battalion of jump infantry/special forces troopers and maybe a squadron of aerospace fighters.  While they would use standard O5P ranks at their home base, in the field they would use whatever rank system the unit they were masquerading as at that time uses.  Finally the 'Mech battalion would from time to time reconfigure its sub-units and rarely deploy at full strength to help make identification more difficult.
Detect evil first, smite second and ask questions later.

Takiro

• Lieutenant
    • Your BattleTech
« Reply #5 on: 14 January 2017, 07:36:47 »
I was not aware that Tomoe Sakade was O5P trained. Link below for those interested;

http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Tomoe_Sakade

Reading up on O5P last night Archangel you are certainly right that O5P has for years infiltrated nearly every level of Draconis society and continues to hide just about everywhere else so why not as a military unit. Your idea certainly fits. Who knows this unit could have a rich secret history going far back. Very interesting.

The size you suggest also fits with a 'Mech battalion (I was thinking two at most in the early 3050s anyway), an infantry battalion (moving towards Armored Infantry), and an aerospace wing.

Still need a name and I would like an insignia perhaps designed by someone else obsessed with proving their existence.

Ice Hellion

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #6 on: 14 January 2017, 15:23:24 »
The size you suggest also fits with a 'Mech battalion (I was thinking two at most in the early 3050s anyway), an infantry battalion (moving towards Armored Infantry), and an aerospace wing.

You just need to transform those numbers into a multiple of 5  ;)
« Last Edit: 14 January 2017, 15:25:07 by Ice Hellion »

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #7 on: 14 January 2017, 16:02:03 »
I could see five companies of 'mechs supported by a squadron of fighters and a battalion of infantry each.  Throw a company of tanks and a battery of artillery at each, and it's 5x5...

Takiro

• Lieutenant
    • Your BattleTech
« Reply #8 on: 14 January 2017, 21:06:45 »
Okay guys while we are throwing around ideas anyone care to throw in some names? Lets start with family names who would be a credit to the Dragon. I've already mentioned some like Kurita, McAlister, Sorenson. Any other big family names I am missing who really stuck out in Draconis history and are a credit to the Combine?

Still looking for unit name suggestions as well.

How does Aerospace Pilot translate into Japanese?

What do you think their views on LAMs would be??

Archangel

• Major
« Reply #9 on: 15 January 2017, 22:59:54 »
Combine society/culture is full of symbolism and given the O5P's role in combine society any unit (whether official or unofficial) would likewise be full of symbolism.  There are plenty of mystical creatures, gods, guardians, heroes and demons in modern Japanese culture to choose from.

Side note:  I would keep in mind that unlike most of Combine society, the O5P is largely female dominated and any sub-unit (whether official or not) would likely be likewise mostly comprised of females.
Detect evil first, smite second and ask questions later.

Ice Hellion

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #10 on: 16 January 2017, 15:37:43 »
Something with Komainu in? They were the guardians of the shrines.
Or name the units after the Gods created during the Kamiyonanayo (they were 12 of them).

Tai Dai Cultist

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #11 on: 16 January 2017, 18:13:10 »
Big Names in the Combine:  Other than THE family name, they tend to not be so very generational in prominence.  Or rather, the names that ARE important over generations tend to not get too prominent in the public consciousness.  It's Space North Korea afterall... not Space Japan ;)  There's only room for one family name to be perenially lauded in every Voice of the Dragon broadcast!

However, for the purposes of identifying Draconian heroes who might have been chosen as the founders of your bloodhouse analogues:
Amanda Kazutoyo: Hero of the First Hidden War.  She's the first ronin who successfully smack-talked a SLDF pilot out into accepting her challenge, and subsequently curbstomped him in front of his entire garrison.  (see FM:SLDF, pg 8 )

Miyamoto Musashi (yeah, they did) and Rikkard Svenson are mentioned along with Kazutoyo as being fellow famous ronin duellists (House Kurita, pg 46)

Chosokabe Motochika was commander of a Mech regiment in the 2nd Succession War who might still be held as a paragon of bushido even in the 31st century.  His tale is told on page 63 of House Kurita, under The Dahar IV incident (short version: he led his troops offworld in retreat but due to a comms bungle he didn't successfully secure permission to retreat beforehand.  So instead of falling back, he led his troops on a suicide mission deeper into the FedSuns and sacked Dahar IV).

Mythology of Five:  That's totally a thing in the Combine, and it's HUGELY a thing in the O5P.  Especially if their mech program is supposed to counter the Clans, it makes complete and perfect sense that they adopt Clan-like 5 mech "lances".
« Last Edit: 16 January 2017, 18:16:37 by Tai Dai Cultist »

Takiro

• Lieutenant
    • Your BattleTech
« Reply #12 on: 16 January 2017, 22:57:43 »
Thanks guys, please keep the ideas coming.

The idea of naming the unit after a Japanese Deity is horrible. Is there one that has a special relationship to the number 5?

Ice that is not a bad idea at all with Komainu, for the Guardians of the Temple. I am designing a Mech for this unit called the Sohei so I think we are all on the same page.

That is an excellent note Archangel on females in the unit. Right now many of the Mechwarriors I had in mind were male and generally I was thinking of those who had served with the DCMS prior to this unit however as the story has evolved here females would be an unexpected asset to them.

Good thoughts on the duelists Tai Dai Cultist, I'd still love to establish some sort of Kurita Dueling Guide which would be similar to zellbrigen. How about heroes of the Clan invasion? What was the name of that one Kurita errant MechWarrior who fought the Jaguars in the Periphery? Folks who maybe stuck out during the war.

For their 'Mech Battalions I was going to go with 40 Mechs (10 Lances or 8 Stars). Not sure about aerospace pilots or infantry though. If you go with an Overlord or three Unions carrying the bulk of the unit into battle you still need another transport for a lance of Mechs, infantry and any additional fighters.

Tai Dai Cultist

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #13 on: 16 January 2017, 23:06:21 »
Shin Yodama would be the most noteworthy hero of the Clan Invasion who isn't named "Kurita".

Another SW era name: Michi Noketsuna was one of Yorinaga's disciples before he joined the Kell Hounds.  He might still serve as inspiration, or even come back to help with the project.  And when we're going there, perhaps the most illustrious Draconian not named Kurita in fiction is Minobu Tetsuhara.  He's a legend even to Wolf's Dragoons.

Tanks & ASFs:  It's your idea, but I like the idea of a project that's solely about making superior mechwarriors.  I'd think it's hard to reconcile tankers and ASFs as being anything more than distractions.  It'd also help differentiate this project from a Capellan Warrior House.

O5P_Ghost

• Warrant Officer
  • DR? NSR? Doesn't matter, I'm the one with the HMG!
« Reply #14 on: 16 January 2017, 23:21:53 »
IF they did have a unit, I doubt it would be ever be used in its entirety. The O5P operates in the shadows outside its official role. We know they fought the ISF several times in Kurita on Kurita strife but those were hidden wars and would not be seen by the public.

I could see up to 3 companies of Mechs, a wing of ASF and 3 battalions of Infantry but they would be more special forces an used in ad-hoc groups as needed. You could go with the 5 for spiritual /thematic reasons but the O5P would operate more like Comstar before 3028. They would identify enemies of the combine and its purity and work to eliminate them in the shadows. Also most of these warriors would be cross trained in at least specialities.

I've attached the symbol that I think could work. It is for a modern (19th century) Japanese religion, Tenrikyo. Shiro was all about cultural appropriation and he only took the parts of Japan he liked. After all, he was from a  world named after a Central Asian city. Omi Kurita (the first one, not Victor's love slave) would do the same when she created the Dictum Honorium and later when Keeper of the House Honor Sanyu Kurita formed the O5P she surely did the same. So the first symbol would have each circle be after one of the five pillars, jade, gold, grey, ivory, and brown (teak). The second symbol is one often used but its not so martial/simple (unit designs tend to be simple)

Also for ranks, these are the ranks within the Order

Neophyte
That is the lowest ranks of the O5P. The hunters, traders, the security forces, warehouse-men and artisan are the workforce which bring the order the wealth. The order posses also an independent jump-ship fleet with its own space marine for security duties. All naval personal are also Neophyte.
Adept
One level above are the members with more responsibility. That includes the monks which monitoring the locals about their believes and also planetary circuit riders. In the outer reaches they are also teachers.
Illuminati
The members which receive knowledge through mediation or other religious ways are considered as Illuminate. They are the living example for the strength of the order. The monks guide the subordinates with a wise hand.
Abbess
That is the highest rank with in the order beneath the Keeper.

I'd say an Abbess is the head of the military, Illuminati are company commanders, Adepts Lance/platoon commander and Neophytes are everyone else.
User formally known as Snowfire
"Because the Draconis Combine is the greatest, strongest nation-state the universe has ever seen, and it is the destiny of House Kurita to rule over all of humanity. The people of the Federated Suns can accept this or be made to accept it." MapCapellan

Kidd

• Major
« Reply #15 on: 16 January 2017, 23:33:03 »
O5P certainly had Mechwarrior members and would presumably find use for them on all sorts of black ops, Mechs after all are very well suited for certain black missions.

Expect O5P to keep a selection of iconic non-DC Mechs from other States as convenient false flag devices, such as Enforcers and Zeus. Nor do they "have" to operate in a lance, operatives are perhaps more comfortable working solo than regular Mechwarriors would be.

@TDC: minor objection, the Draconis Combine is more like Space Ancient China. Coordinators are not exactly divine, mistakes are made and the Coordinator's mandate to rule can be revoked. Just say the words "Von Rohrs" and see how fast the Friendly Persuaders come a-calling ;)

As I understand, O5P itself is a manifestation of this, being much like Heimdall, empowered to "discipline" any Kurita found not to be serving the nation's greater good.

O5P_Ghost

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #16 on: 17 January 2017, 00:36:14 »
As I understand, O5P itself is a manifestation of this, being much like Heimdall, empowered to "discipline" any Kurita found not to be serving the nation's greater good.

But official, not a shadow organization, per se.
"Because the Draconis Combine is the greatest, strongest nation-state the universe has ever seen, and it is the destiny of House Kurita to rule over all of humanity. The people of the Federated Suns can accept this or be made to accept it." MapCapellan

Ice Hellion

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #17 on: 17 January 2017, 15:49:03 »
The idea of naming the unit after a Japanese Deity is horrible. Is there one that has a special relationship to the number 5?

I think Ninigi-no-Mikoto. I read somewhere he came on Earth with 5 rice seeds but I can't find the reference anymore.

Good thoughts on the duelists Tai Dai Cultist, I'd still love to establish some sort of Kurita Dueling Guide which would be similar to zellbrigen. How about heroes of the Clan invasion? What was the name of that one Kurita errant MechWarrior who fought the Jaguars in the Periphery? Folks who maybe stuck out during the war.

It was against Clan Ghost Bear and it was MechWarrior Uchi Tikidomo.

Takiro

• Lieutenant
    • Your BattleTech
« Reply #18 on: 18 January 2017, 06:37:08 »
Thanks Ice, good research there.

Ninigi no Mikoto sounds interesting although I'll probably name one of their dropships that. I saw the wiki entry on the subject but it just mentions a rice plant not 5 seeds.

Interesting idea about appropriating ideas such as 'Tenrikyo'. Not sure that is a winner per say but definitely worth some thought O5P_Ghost. As for ranks I have been developing with Ice Hellion specific Japanese ranks based on the Orders organization. I figured there is only one Abbess in O5P so we split of the next three ranks into five sub ranks, Illumanti were high sounding titles while Adepts and Neophytes were based on the Dan system.

Illuminati (Flag Officers)
Sosho          Grand Master      Commanding Officer
Wakasosho  Young Master      Successor and Executive Officer
Roshi           Old Teacher       
Keijin           Living treasure
Hanshi         unified mastery
   Adepts (Field Officers)
Judan
Kudan
Hachidan
Schidan
Rokudan   
   Neophytes (Enlisted Personnel)
Godan          Master Level Practitioner (Shidoin)  Chief Noncommissioned Officer
Yondan
Sandan        Instructor Level (Sensei)                 Sergeant / MechWarrior
Nidan
Shodan        Beginning Level

This would free up Senpai (mentor) and make this traditional role of that and the Kohai (protégé) which can be used more generally in the unit. What do you think of having each warrior take on an apprentice as part of their training?

Also how does Deshi (Disciple) fit for Trainees?

Another infantry support aspect for the unit would be the space marines that O5P uses for security duties as O5P_Ghost points out.

I am also going through my old notes and found another special unit called the Tenshi or 'Heavenly Warriors'. I know this was probably inspired by another sci fi universe (thinking traveler but could be wrong) but it got me thinking. Looked them up on wikipedia and see there is another female exclusive term for angel. Tennyo, now that I was thinking could be a good unit name especially if it were a group of all women aerospace pilots that O5P has gathered to help escort the main unit.

I am still beating around the idea of the main O5P unit itself. I do have to admit that it is an appealing idea to make it an exclusive MechWarrior unit. While the secret history of O5P Mechwarriors is good angle I think what I am going for is a 'spotlight' command which is geared to inspire the nation. So that could lead to new naming suggestions if the Coordinator expects them to step out into the public lime light and serve as exemplars.

O5P_Ghost

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #19 on: 18 January 2017, 12:46:48 »
There is more than one Abbess (see Heir to the Dragon) but only one Keeper. You could keep the Abbess as flag ranks, Illuminati as lower officers, Adepts as NCOs and Neophytes as enlisted.

It would be cool for the Coordinator to 'reveal' this secret unit as an exemplar of Combine values.

"When Omi Kurita first created the Dictum Honorium to guide us, we have had a path to honor and duty. In 2420, the Order of the Five Pillars was founded to maintain the purity of the realm. They have done so through education, charity and example. What my people do not know, they have also secretly been protecting the realm from enemies external and internal.

The "INSERT UNIT NAME HERE" has conducted secret but vital operations, using BattleMech, Infantry, Space and other forces keeping the Dragon pure and safe. The Yellow Bird fears the "INSERT UNIT NAME HERE". In this time of conflict, I Coordinator "INSERT NAME" have decided that the "INSERT UNIT NAME HERE" must no longer be a shadow guardian but one that operates in the light. Therefore I give you, my people, the Blood of the Dragon, the "INSERT UNIT NAME HERE"

Takiro

• Lieutenant
    • Your BattleTech
« Reply #20 on: 18 January 2017, 17:21:44 »
I love it O5P_Ghost! Now we just need the "INSERT UNIT NAME HERE". ;)

What do you guys think the best unit name is?

Really, I thought there was only one Abbess? Could you illuminate what 'Heir to the Dragon' reveals? It has been awhile since I read that novel.

I like the subranks which we have created thus far but it may make better sense to just keep the existing O5P ranks. I mean if there is 5 subranks for every level of O5P it would be way too many for just the small size of the unit.

Thinking about it more today I love the idea which Tai Dai Cultist hit upon. The ironic turn of fates which now sees House Kurita quickly trying to match Clan Trueborns in much the same way the Star League had to counter the Ronin with Gunslingers. Traditionalists especially Takashi would love the idea of creating a unit that was entirely capable of beating the Clans at their own game. Dueling. Such a unit with the very best personnel and high tech equipment could possibly lower the cost of combat between the Combine and Clans to acceptable levels.

Tai Dai Cultist

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #21 on: 18 January 2017, 18:03:38 »
Possible names for the "Warrior House" mechwarriors or their unit:

"Kensai" screams appropriateness, but its use in the already extant Kensai Kami "Top Gun" school for the DCMS may diminish its attractiveness.

Sohei is another spiffy candidate for mechwarriors with an exceptional emphasis on mysticism and/or martial arts.

Iaijutsu is the Japanese name for a formal sort of duelling (with katanas).  It's actually very similar in concept to "Gunfighting" in wild west movies/lore: you stand perfectly still until both participants "draw!" and the slower one ends up dead.  Due to this similarity to "Gunslinging", using Iaijutsu (or some derivitave) in the name might be a fun way to tie the project back to the SLDF Gunslingers.

However, I am gonna jump franchises with what I really like for a name that applies both to the unit as a whole and an individual member of the team/project: Kenshinzen.

It's a term from the Legend of the Five Rings franchise that describes the absolute best of the best when it comes to duelling (although students of the Mirumoto Dojo would certainly have grounds to object...).   Part of me cringes to suggest it, since I hate the effete bouffants of the Crane Clan the way I hate House Davion of BattleTech fame, but Kenshinzen would be a killer title for a O5P duellist (with Kenshinzo being the name for the entire cadre).

O5P_Ghost

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #22 on: 18 January 2017, 22:38:28 »
The Keeper of House Honor is the head of the O5P. In the book, sorry I don't have page numbers as mine is Kindle, there is a meeting with Florimel Kurita is meeting with Constance Kurita, and she sees 4 Abbesses and an Abbot. Then Tomoe (not named at this point) comes in to report on her wounding of Theodore.

I believe, but am too tired to look it up, there is another spot in the book where Constance (now Keeper) is meeting with multiple Abbesses.

Takiro

• Lieutenant
    • Your BattleTech
« Reply #23 on: 19 January 2017, 06:45:05 »
Some excellent suggestions Tai Dai Cultist.

I wanted to change Brotherhood of the Sword which I originally took from ST DS9 (the Klingon special order) and Kensai or Sword Saints from D&D into something better because they were more descriptive terms for elite Swordsman not Mechwarriors. To that end I’d like to stay away from the ‘Sword’ driven themes. Even with that said ‘Iaijutsu’ as the dueling art is extremely solid.

Sohei is an interesting possibly as was Komainu (Guardians of the Temple) suggested by Ice Hellion. Tenshi (Heavenly Warriors) was inspired from GURPS Alternate Universe is also not horrible but since I was going to go with Tennyo for their aerospace escort was going to stay away from that.

How about a direct Japanese translation? What would did you guys think of Mechasenshi? Takes 'Mecha' which was originally a Japanese abbreviation for mechanical and inspired the term Mech in the first place. Originally I added 'senshi' which means warrior but we could class up the term with high ranks we may not use any longer. Sosho (Grand Master), Keijin (Living treasure) or Hanshi (unified mastery) would all be good especially placing ‘Mecha’ in front.

Thanks for the details O5P_Ghost. Does it ever say why there is five? One for each pillar I assume? If so Steel would be excellent as the commander.

O5P_Ghost

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #24 on: 19 January 2017, 14:15:08 »
Five is just the mgic Kurita number.

I wouldn't go with Steel being the commander. The Pillar of Steel is the DCMS. Ivory is the O5P. Its would separate the two organizations to have Ivory be in charge. Remember too, the O5P has a monopoly on Ivory trade in the Combine and they draw their primary funding from that source.

Ice Hellion

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #25 on: 19 January 2017, 16:13:04 »
How about a direct Japanese translation? What would did you guys think of Mechasenshi? Takes 'Mecha' which was originally a Japanese abbreviation for mechanical and inspired the term Mech in the first place. Originally I added 'senshi' which means warrior but we could class up the term with high ranks we may not use any longer. Sosho (Grand Master), Keijin (Living treasure) or Hanshi (unified mastery) would all be good especially placing ‘Mecha’ in front.

I wouldn't put the emphasis on the Mech part. This unit is a combined-arms unit designed to show what true Warriors can do and not only Mechwarriors (even if the emphasis is on Mechs).

Takiro

• Lieutenant
    • Your BattleTech
« Reply #26 on: 21 January 2017, 22:48:57 »
Well folks after consulting with my friends today and much contemplation I have decided the best name for this unit going forward is the Sohei. I mean it just makes the most sense to me. This will pretty much be an order of MechWarrior Monks and as Kurita does draw on history I think it is most appropriate. So the Sohei it is and they shall start off with the forty (40) best Mechwarriors that O5P can recruit. Now I already have some names in mind which I will give the commanders for now  and detail some more later but if any one would like to add a character please do so. Just need your name and some details.

While the Sohei will be the main draw these MechWarrior Monks do also need support and O5P will be providing various supporting units to do just that. The Tennyo will be the aerospace company (12 fighters) composed of all women aerospace pilots which O5P has gathered to help escort the Sohei into battle. The giant Oniwaka (Demon/Orge Child) have also been recruited from around the Combine for their massive physical size and infantry skill. Thought to be Kurita's answer to Clan Elementals this unit is under development as the Sohei and Tennyo begin their service. The availability of Battlesuits is the largest obstacle to fielding this 40 man unit (10 squads).

Daniel McAlister - As a member of the prestigious McAlister line Daniel was on the fast track for a high ranking position in the DCMS. However after fifteen years of exemplary service with tours in the 4th Prosperina Hussars and the 2nd Sword of Light during the War of 3039 he choose to retire. Searching for fulfillment he turned to O5P and a life of devotion. During the Clan War he struggled with the urge to return to the DCMS in order to defend his homeland. Many believe it was at his urging the Sohei were assembled to combat the Clans. Now in his mid-40s the new Zasu or Abbot of the Sohei looks forward to demonstrating the superior honor of the Dragon to the Clan invader.

Noriki Sorenson - What should have been a highborn life changed forever after the independence of Rasalhague and the Ronin Wars. Her family was noble scions of this military district and distant relatives of the ruling Kurita line but certain treasonous members ruined that life. O5P became Noriki's savior after that and she devoted her life to the Order. After showing prowess as an aerospace pilot she was trained by the Pillarines and became an exceptional fighter pilot. While escorting transports is not exactly combat experience she brings a level of professionalism and skill to the new Tennyo to which she serves as a commander and mother to.

Kenji Minamoto - The mysterious commander of the Oniwaka was apparently recalled from his Periphery wanderings by the Order during the Clan Invasion. This mountain of a man journeyed the desolate reaches of the frontier in search of prefect moments. During these travels he helped isolated settlers and hunted down bandits all the while looking for something more. The need of his homeworld has drawn him back to the Dragon and blessed with extraordinary size and superb combat skills he became an ideal candidate for the new unit.

O5P_Ghost

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #27 on: 22 January 2017, 11:36:29 »
If I may, is like to submit a lance for this unit along with mech suggestions. Also what is the exact year this unit comes into being?

Takiro

• Lieutenant
    • Your BattleTech
« Reply #28 on: 22 January 2017, 12:02:56 »
Certainly 05P_Ghost, the exact year for the Sohei coming into being would be 3053. I should also fill you in on the setting details behind this too which is really starting to change from the canon BattleTech timeline. Thanks to a powerful source the existence of the Black Dragon Society has been revealed to the Coordinator and Gunji no Karnei. Its leadership has been dealt with but the fact that a reactionary segment of the Combine exists is enough to spur several traditionalist moves like the creation of the Sohei to serve as examples of the gloried heritage that is the Dragon's.

O5P_Ghost

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #29 on: 23 January 2017, 01:21:27 »
Send me a PM about the details but how about this?

Bravo Lance

Rokudan Aika Gunma. An orphan from Marlowe's Rift in the Galedon District, Gunma lost his family to a AFFS raid in 3024 (age 3). Taken into the Order he was noted for his martial skills and leadership. However, he had a temper and hated all things Davion. Gunma was sent to the Sun Tzu School of Combat and excelled in Mech combat. He received his first Mech, a Panther just in time to fight in the War of 3039. He was assigned to the 2nd Galedon Regulars. He survived the war and was promoted to Gunsho and was transferred to multiple units in his salvaged Warhammer (converted to the 6K model). While transferred he continued to work as an informant for the O5P without the knowledge of his DCMS superiors. At the beginning of the Clan War, he was a Tai-i in  the 4th Pesht Regulars and one of the few survivors of combat against the Smoke Jaguars. While recuperating on Pesht, during which he spent hours in sims to gain important skills for a rematch against the Clans, he was removed from the unit and placed in the new Sohei due to his Clan combat experience. He was assigned a Warhammer 7K for his new role as a Lance Commander.

Sandan Hyi-joo Wantanabe Archer 5K

Nidan Leo Mertens Venom SDR 9K

Shodan George Hayashi Crab 30

(I'll fill in those when I'm less tired)