Author Topic: The Sohei: O5P Warrior Monks  (Read 97385 times)

DOC_Agren

• Major
Re: The Sohei: O5P Warrior Monks
« Reply #330 on: 19 July 2017, 19:35:52 »
Well there goes the slimmest chance of me ever catching you for number of character produced for the Sohei.

By my count you have completed 31 or more characters, very impressive. I am currently on my 24th with Ice Hellion on his 20th.

Well there are 8 more characters who have yet to be claimed so I could come close to a tie. ;)

Well here is 1 more, and I think she has an interesting concept

Sonya “Raijin (雷神)” Kuroshima               Vet Mechwarrior/Reg Inf
She is a Veteran Light Mech Pilot and born into O5P Trader family, who lost her family Stinger 3G “Ashidakagumo”, during a disagreement over trade with another Spacer Trader Clan in 3049.  She joined Sohei to get back into a Mech Seat.  She was transferred to a CGR-3K Charger “Tsudzukeru 続ける or Goon, of which she still learning the in and out of operations. 
Out of her mech she has studied Bartitsu as her HTH fighting style and carries an older Nakjima Hand Laser as her sidearm of choice.  If she needs a long gun she has an old Zeus Heavy Rifle she can break out.
"For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast, And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed:And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill, And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still!"

Takiro

• Lieutenant
  • BattleTech: Salient Horizon
    • Your BattleTech
« Reply #331 on: 20 July 2017, 05:36:27 »
Ok folks going over it real quick cause unfortunately I don't have much time this morning only Hover Lance 3 of the Hand of Kannon remains completely unaccounted. If you'd like to work on a part or the whole of this remaining unit just lets us know. I appreciate all of the tremendous entries we have gotten!

Takiro

• Lieutenant
    • Your BattleTech
« Reply #332 on: 20 July 2017, 08:43:13 »
Thanks Abele, who finished up Hover Lance 3 over on OBT.com

That concludes are open billets in unit. If anyone likes to contribute any trainees or teachers coming for the next wave of Sohei you certainly may.

I'm gonna finish up my character and move on to the Jump ship and unit fluff.

Awesome job everyone!

Sharpnel

• Colonel
Re: Order of Five Pillars Mechwarrior Unit
« Reply #333 on: 20 July 2017, 12:23:03 »
He was issued a prototype SOH-E1 Ono BattleMech upon his return to Soul.
Are there any stats for this Mech?
Consigliere Trygg Bender, CRD-3BL Crusader, The Blazer Mafia
Takehiro 'Taco' Uchimiya, SHD-2H Shadow Hawk 'Taco', Crimson Oasis Trading Company

"Of what use is a dream, if not a blueprint for courageous action" -Adam West
As I get older, I realize that I'm not as good as I once was.
"Life is too short to be living someone else's dream" - Hugh Hefner

DOC_Agren

• Major
« Reply #334 on: 20 July 2017, 12:47:02 »
Are there any stats for this SOH-E1 Ono BattleMech?
http://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=56029.msg1313434#msg1313434
It is in this post, I asked earlier
"For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast, And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed:And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill, And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still!"

Takiro

• Lieutenant
    • Your BattleTech
« Reply #335 on: 20 July 2017, 14:59:31 »
Stats yes, fluff no. Gonna work on that too after I finish my final character.

Ice Hellion

• Master Sergeant
  • Part-time builder of fallen empires
« Reply #336 on: 20 July 2017, 15:08:38 »
Before I write down my final character, here is my Hover Lance.

Son of civilian technicians working as private contractors for the Draconis Combine Mustered Soldiery, Zmeu Făt-Frumos lost them at an early age during a raid by Ronins during the battles of the Ronin Wars. Raised by a relative, he was a troubled teenager unable to decide if he wanted to avenge his parents or forget all about it. This led him to run away from everything and to become a racing pilot in the hovercraft competition.
After disaster strikes with his car being completely destroyed for the 3rd time in the same season, the sponsor of his team knowing his background approached him with a proposal for Zmeu to keep on piloting hovercrafts  while one day perhaps getting a revenge for his parents: the solution was to join the unit the Order of the Five Pillars was raising.
Without any other contract available, Zmeu Făt-Frumos accepted and was assigned to the Hands of Kannon where he brought his pilot skills but also his troublesome attitude, which made him a perfect candidate for Alex Booth’s team and the piloting of a Plainsman.

Y.T. Hiro was the best virtual swordmaster in the whole Draconis Combine. This is until one day during Operation Revival, she met someone with as much inner strength as her, an unknown Smoke Jaguar Warrior. When they were about to draw their swords after hours facing each other, the network went down. Frustrated, Y.T. Hiro decided to try to find this Warrior and to settle one and for all who the best swordmaster is.
Turning to whoever would accept her, she was rejected by the military as she lacked the proper training and was only focusing on her revenge. Frustrated, she decided to find someone who would train her and found her way towards the Order of 5 Pillars who was in the middle of their recruiting for their Sohei unit. Because of her lack of experience, she was assigned to Alex Booth’s lance who had to make her focus all her anger and skills on the hovercraft and working with others. Unwilling to fight at distance, she was delighted when she realised that her Plainsman “Snow Crash” can only fight at closer ranges where she can focus and feel her opponents just like she did in her virtual duels.

Viktoria Wightman is what can be called an armchair general. In spite of not going through any formal military education, she is a practitioner of wargames since an early age. She studied every information she could find on the Clans to help them being vanquished. This focus earned her the nickname of « Hachiman » as she was seen by some as the future protector of the Samurais in their fight against the invaders.
In spite of her readings and gaming, Viktoria Wightman has not been prepared to face the horrors of war and she is growing afraid of the consequences of her plans on the battlefield, a fear that slows her down. Assigned to Alex Booth’s lance, she is being slowly eaten by a sense of failure and this in spite of the work done by her commanding officer that has been assigned the mission to give her and the other recruits some experience and to “blood” them.

Alex Booth is a veteran of several combats against both the Lyran Commonwealth, the Ronins and the Clans and always in a hovercraft unit making with speed what they lacked in raw holding power. Having requested to be enlisted again at the end of his 2 former periods after his honourable discharges, he was sent by the Draconis Combine Mustered Soldiery to the Sohei as the Coordinator wanted veteran soldiers loyal to the Dragon to help officering the unit.
Not the brightest tactician, “Evocatus” (as he was nicknamed by Viktoria Wightman) is strict in exercising and keeps proper discipline among his unit. He still needs to find how to cope with the different individualities that make his lance, how to turn them into a team while making the best use of each one of them.
In turn they tested each Clan namesake
In trial against the ice hellion's mettle.
Each chased the ice hellion, hunting it down.
All faild to match the predator's speed and grace.
Khan Cage smiled and said. "And that is how we shall be."

The Remembrance, Passage 5, Verse 3, Lines 1-5

Bradshaw

• Corporal
  • Never trust a man scratching his chin
« Reply #337 on: 21 July 2017, 13:52:25 »
Ju Juan, Veteran Aerospace Pilot, Transgressor TR-13A

Raised in the Capellan Confederation, Ju's mother has been an O5P agent under deep cover in the Cappellan Confederation for the past 25 years going so far to even marry a Cappellan citizen to deepen her cover. Ju's father is in the dark on his wife's and daughters leanings and thinks she is part of a warrior exchange program with the Draconis Combine, meanwhile she has been brushing up on the skills taught to her by her parents both pilots of the CAF. After being activated herself and assigned to the Sohei she is eager to show her dedication to the unit.

Takiro

• Lieutenant
    • Your BattleTech
« Reply #338 on: 21 July 2017, 15:01:39 »
Got them Ice, thanks!

Very nice Bradshaw!!!

Thanks to the fury of activity only three characters remain to be created. Calderon is working on his Oniwaka platoon commander and should be done by tomorrow, Ice Hellion is doing the final Mechasenshi piloting a Wolf Trap, and I got the VTOL Commander in the Hand of Kannon. Hopefully I will have time on Sunday to complete my character rounding out the unit.

Again if anyone would like to contribute additional characters not listed - like instructors not in the field, students who are learning, or supporting personnel such as analysts who think strategy and study the Clans, publicists who promote the unit, etc please do so now or forever hold your peace.
« Last Edit: 21 July 2017, 15:24:54 by Takiro »

DOC_Agren

• Major
« Reply #339 on: 22 July 2017, 17:50:38 »
Support Staff, how will I know when the Ideas will flow for me!!!  I claim a # of to be named later support staffers 8)

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #340 on: 22 July 2017, 18:12:33 »
I may go for some support staff eventually... the outage kind of put a crimp on my creativity, and work has been pretty rough.

Ice Hellion

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #341 on: 23 July 2017, 12:36:47 »
Hikaru « Blue » Maya lost everything in An Ting in 3028 where both her parents were killed in the fights against Wolf”s Dragoons. Educated by relatives that were “Friendly Persuaders”, she swore to take her revenge on the “Gaijin” that had destroyed everything around her.
In spite of her loyalty to House Kurita, she was at the same time too full of hatred and too focused (her only hobbies were all related to training and she never made any friend during her childhood) for the DCMS or any other official agency of the Draconis Combine to recruit her. Unwilling to let such potential go to waste, an Adept offered her the opportunity to enter the security forces of the Order, promising her that in due time, she would get her revenge.
Hikaru Maya kept on training and training, eager to perfect her skills for the day she would be given the opportunity to strike back. This went on and on until she heard rumours about invaders and learned of the Outreach Conference. Her hatred expanded to all the members of these Clans and she jumped to the opportunity when the Sohei were formed and she even managed to become a Mechasenshi, training and training again and again so that her Wolf Trap “Kiba” might be able to “bite the Clans and make them pay for everything.”

However even if she seems happy for almost the first time in her life, her superiors in the Order of Five Pillars are worried that the truth about her origins might destroy Hikaru Maya and this is why no one ever told her that her nickname comes from the eye colour of her father, a member of the Wolf’s Dragoons.

Takiro

• Lieutenant
    • Your BattleTech
« Reply #342 on: 24 July 2017, 05:26:36 »
Great job Ice!

Calderon gave me a preview of his characters over the weekend so we are only waiting on me to finish. ;)

Calderon

• Recruit
« Reply #343 on: 30 July 2017, 10:17:23 »
David Sakamoto (Oniwaka) and Serina Akiyama
When growing up, David was always larger than all the other children.  He found himself being picked on and bullied by the other children for his size quite often.  When he was 13 years old and already well over 6 foot, this not only continued but got worse.  At this point in his life he was in a much better position not to take it anymore.  He started fighting back against these bullies and fought back effectively.  No matter how well trained his adversaries his brute force always made him the victor on the playground.  But since he was usually the victor over the children from more influential families he tended to come out the loser with school policy.  It wasn’t until he put four boys in the hospital (including a Duke’s son) when he was 14, that they decided to send him to a special school for children with disciplinary problems.
Now Serina was one of those girls who was never really noticed.  She took this to her advantage and was the class prankster.  When she pranked the wrong person, she was noticed that day.  She was badly beaten and after that her parents enrolled her into martial arts, self-defense classes.  She took to this training quite well and paired it with her abilities to blend in and vanish in the crowds to enhance her pranks.  One of these pranks got her a one-way ticket straight to the very same school that David found himself a part of.
David experienced the same issues in the new school that he had in regular schools until he met Serina.  The two were practically inseparable.  Serina began to train David in the martial arts she knew and in turn David offered her protection when those pranks were noticed by the other students.  Eventually they were both noticed and recruited by the Sohei. David now measuring at 7’10” was a shoe in for the Oniwaka.  Serina with her small physical size and training become a marine with many special talents including zero-g fighting.  To keep the bond that these two had together, David’s infantry unit is usually travels with Serina’s ship.

Takiro

• Lieutenant
    • Your BattleTech
« Reply #344 on: 31 July 2017, 18:24:20 »
Thanks Calderon, that will do!

Well folks with this character I pronounce the Sohei fully staffed! Since I posted the first three characters on January 21 a total of 123 characters from 11 contributors (Takiro – 24, O5P Ghost – 5,    Ice Hellion – 20, Doc_Agren – 35+,    Sharpnel – 11, Daryk – 4, Bradshaw – 9, Calderon – 3, Gus – 2, Dragon Cat – 3, Abele – 7) have been detailed in various ways. I'd like to thank everyone who took part and remind you again there is still time to get more auxiliary characters in if you'd like. I know I am working on four more characters who will soon join the Sohei but for now are simple students. Hope you enjoy the VTOL Commander for the Hand of Kannon.

Satomi Kisarazu
Always looking for action the beautiful commander of VTOL Company of the Hand of Kannon maybe the most experienced helicopter warrior in the Draconis Combine. Beginning with her first campaigns in the War of 3039 she showed an early propensity to destroy ground combatants of all types including BattleMechs. Satomi built on this early success volunteering for service in the Ronin War and even transferred to planetary militias along the Federated Commonwealth border during the 3040s. Moved to Luthien in order to bolster the planet’s defenses during the Clan Invasion she managed to down a Smoke Jaguar Koshi during that great battle. While all of these battles have resulted in an impressive kill list it has her more than a few choppers. Miyuki Suzuki recruited her for the Hand of Kannon where she hopes Kisarazu will finally settle down. Her sister Shun serves as her pilot in their Cyrano (colorfully decorated with traditional magna decal) named Mechslayer and is blessed with extraordinary reflexes.

DOC_Agren

• Major
« Reply #345 on: 05 September 2017, 20:08:26 »
Here some more support staff for the Sohei

Yukari “Kaizoku or Pirate” Tamura   Elite Spy
She is long term O5P operative whose specialty is securing intelligence on targets.  She is not a warrior, but what she does, can provide the difference life and death for a mission.  What she does is whatever is required to blend into the target zone to gain intelligence.

Caitlin Ortega             Elite Logistics/Green Inf
She is what you would call a gifted logistics expert within the O5P.  If you need something she the person to see.  Well unless what you need is combat support, when she is next to useless.

Ruth Helen Prescott             Reg As-Tech/Reg Mech Pilot/Vet Inf
She is from a O5P family, who used to operate as the Merc Group “Prescott’s Pistols”.  When they were forming the Sohei, her family unit was lost in operation against Smoke Jaguar, as she would have been had she not been away undertaking specialized O5P training.  She is qualified to pilot a mech.  As from her family unit, she has been fully cross trained in Infantry Tactics as well as an AsTech.  She carries an auto pistol on her hip, and if things go down hill she has a Rorynex RM-3/XXI SMG handy.  Currently serving as an As-Tech with the unit and is looking for revenge assigned to work under Nishizo Hogogaya, on the Surejjihanmā Lance - (Sledgehammer) primary assigned Tomoe Yoshinaka’s ride "Shi no hana” 死の花 Death Blossom

Yoshiyuki “Vigdis” Kimura         Reg As-Tech/Elite Inf
Known as “Vigdis” (meaning “war goddess”) she is the Small Arms Instructor for the Sohei.  Original she was not to travel with the force but stay home and train replacement members, but when the unit pushes off she was with them, claiming there are members who still need her help.
She is either natural Ambidextrous or has trained herself to be able to use both hands equally.  She carries 1 auto pistol  in a shoulder holster, an snub nose revolver in an ankle holster, a Sunbeam Pistol on her left hip and 10mm mag Pistol on her Right.

Takiro

• Lieutenant
    • Your BattleTech
« Reply #346 on: 05 September 2017, 20:13:48 »
Very nice DOC!

DOC_Agren

• Major
« Reply #347 on: 16 October 2017, 22:45:56 »
Takiro,

So any updates on this unit?

Takiro

• Lieutenant
    • Your BattleTech
« Reply #348 on: 17 October 2017, 15:20:59 »
Unfortunately Doc not at this time been crazy busy with other stuff. I am opened to suggestions of course and once the Sohei mission draws closer work will undoubtedly increase. ;)

DOC_Agren

• Major
« Reply #349 on: 18 October 2017, 11:13:13 »
Just had to ask, I understand crazy

DOC_Agren

• Major
« Reply #350 on: 15 January 2018, 00:13:04 »
Just checking to see if you done anything with this?

Takiro

• Lieutenant
    • Your BattleTech
« Reply #351 on: 15 January 2018, 03:09:53 »
You know what bud, let me gather up everything and see where we are at.

We just did another part of the campaign today and I want to get to the Sohei's first mission soon.

DOC_Agren

• Major
« Reply #352 on: 15 January 2018, 13:11:13 »
Cool
I'm interested to see how they do in the field..

Ice Hellion

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #353 on: 15 January 2018, 15:47:49 »
Cool
I'm interested to see how they do in the field..

Me too.

Takiro

• Lieutenant
    • Your BattleTech
The Battle of Rockland: The Sohei’s First Mission
« Reply #354 on: 23 February 2018, 06:36:47 »
Rockland was a quiet Draconis world lying near the Periphery before the coming of the Clans. Brutally subjugated by Clan Smoke Jaguar during the first wave of the invasion in 3050 this sleepy backwater was now a key occupied world. As an initial stopover between the InnerSphere and the distant Clan Homeworlds the Jaguars would continue to tighten their hold over the planet establishing a vital supply point.

This made it the ideal target of opportunity that the Order of Five Pillars (O5P) was looking for to prove its newly assembled military unit, the Sohei. Their numerous intelligence assets on world indicated Rockland was garrisoned by a second line unit which could demonstrate their worth to the Dragon. With the approval of the Coordinator these warrior-monks set out on their first anti-Clan operation without any fanfare.

If they succeed they will be hailed as heroes and if they fail no one will ever know they existed. Will this first mission mean victory or death for the Sohei?
_________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Right now I am data mining for all useful material on the planet of Rockland as well as accepting ideas for this setting. I'd really appreciate your help in getting this scenario assembled for my local RPG to play. So please let me know what you think!

DOC_Agren

• Major
« Reply #355 on: 23 February 2018, 14:24:50 »
we are going in!!!

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #356 on: 23 February 2018, 18:09:41 »
Woo!  I can't wait to hear more! O0

Tai Dai Cultist

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #357 on: 23 February 2018, 18:29:21 »
Takiro do you have access to the 25 Years of Art and Fiction book?  Rockland has a writeup on page 145.  Looks like most of the info has already made it onto Sarna, but you never know what you might infer from what didn't get uploaded.

Takiro

• Lieutenant
    • Your BattleTech
« Reply #358 on: 23 February 2018, 18:33:29 »
Thanks guys. I looked over the entire planetary profile last night Tai Dai Cultist along with the short story Vector. Here is what data mining has revealed.

ROCKLAND (Planetary Profile: BattleTech: 25 Years of Art and Fiction, page 145)
Star Type (Recharge Time): G9V (190 hours)
Position in System: 3
Time to Jump Point: 5.82 days
Number of Satellites: 1 (Haven)
Surface Gravity: 1.11
Atmospheric Pressure: Standard (Breathable)
Equatorial Temperature: 45o C (Warm-Temperate)
Surface Water: 50 percent
Recharging Station: Nadir
HPG Class Type: B
Highest Native Life: Plants
Population: 1,370,000,000
Socio-Industrial Levels: C-C-A-B-C

A small rocky world, Rockland is aptly named for the mountain ranges criss-cross its surface. Clan Smoke Jaguar captured the world in March 3050, during the first wave of the Clan invasion. A mere two Stars of Jaguar ‘Mechs destroyed the defending Rockland People’s Army – a poorly-equipped mechanized infantry regiment – within minutes of landing in Liberty Park.

Rockland’s primary industries were mining and the export of the bountiful stone that gives the planet its name. The stone quarrying and carving industry surprisingly experienced a huge upturn after the world’s capture, as the arrogant Jaguars had countless monuments to their martial greatness erected all across their Inner Sphere Occupation Zone. Rumor has it some pieces were even shipped back to the Clan Homeworlds.

Rockland has two major continents, and countless rocky islands strewn across its seas. The southern continent of Granite has the capital of Maverick, along with the majority of the Rockland’s population. Scattered mining and quarrying settlements are dotted across the remaining continent of Limerock.

Specifics for Socio-Industrial Levels
Tech Sophistication – C – moderately advanced world. Average local education and medical
care, minimal microelectronics
Industrial Development – C – basic heavy industry. Equivalent to roughly 22nd century tech,
fusion tech possible, no complex production
Raw Material Dependence – A – fully self-sufficient. System produces all needed raw materials
and may export large quantities
Industrial Output – B – good output. World’s industrial and commercial base is sufficient for
modest product export
Agricultural Dependence – C – modest agricultural. Most food is locally produced, though some
agricultural needs rely on imports

Invading Clans (page 64, Invading Clans Sourcebook)
ROCKLAND [March 3050]
Clan Smoke Jaguar Forces: Alpha and Bravo Stars (Galaxy Trinary Command, Delta Galaxy)
Defending Forces: Rockland People’s Army (1 mechanized infantry regiment)
Major Battle Sites: Liberty Park
Outcome: Clan Smoke Jaguar invaded Rockland during the Clan Invasion, which was defended only by the Rockland People's Army. Determined to make their stand on the patch of land which served as a memorial to their freedom, the RPA chose Liberty Park to confront Alpha and Bravo Stars of the Skyriders Keshik. Their valiant fight would last but minutes as the Smoke Jaguar's heavy OmniMechs completely decimated the defenders shortly after landing.

Operation Bulldog (August 3059)
Rockland would be attacked during the Third Wave of Operation Bulldog by the Eleventh and Sixteenth Legions of Vega, Com Guards 91st Division, Stirling's Fusiliers and the Northwind Hussars. The Jaguars Tenth Garrison Cluster offered only token resistance to the invading SLDF forces, and then abandoned the world.

VECTOR (short story – September 5, 3059 – locations on Rockland)
The Rockland Furies (Mountain range with numerous tunnels beneath, secret Jag outpost)
Red Devil Mesa (other side of the planet from Liberty Park)

Travels of the Sohei
Soul (Homeworld of the Sohei – about 170 light years to McAlister and the border – 6 jumps)
McAlister (border crossing, last world before the OZ – about 80 light years to cluster – 3 jumps)
Brocchi’s Cluster (33.65 light years or a little over one jump from Rockland – 2 jumps)
Rockland

Takiro

• Lieutenant
    • Your BattleTech
« Reply #359 on: 23 February 2018, 19:09:48 »
So I am trying to put a finer point on all that with a few of these points, love to hear what you think!

1. Origins. Rockland is a fairly common name for places in America, Canada, and Britain so I was thinking that the initial settlers to this world would hail from North America and the British Isles. Very Western Alliance but....
2. Colonization. Rockland is not on the map when the Draconis Combine is founded in 2319 (HKHB pg 18) but following the Age of War in 2571 (HKHB pg 31) appears near the Periphery border. That is a 252 year gap when the planet could have been founded.
3. Japanification. During the Star League era the Combine embarked on program of cultural reformation turning their entire interstellar realm into a model of ancient Japan. This effort would impact the populace some I would think.
4. Freedom? Mentioned in the Invading Clans SB and repeated again in the summary there seems to be a spirit of liberty and independence here unusual for a Draconis world. With the capital called Maverick it seems to be almost American or Periphery like than a Kurita world.

So do you think this world was settled independently of the Combine and absorbed with a degree of autonomy afterward?
Would the Combine use it as a dumping ground for undesirables? People breaking rocks per say - hard labor.
Given the degree of cultural differences would the O5P have a large presence here?