Author Topic: 2nd Armored Cavalry  (Read 20448 times)

2ndAcr

• Captain
2nd Armored Cavalry
« on: 27 April 2017, 00:08:50 »
 Well after a hard drive failure killed my last campaign, I am starting a new one.

Formed in 2784 from disbanded SLDF units that chose not to follow General Kerensky on the Exodus. They instead banded together to form a mercenary command. Personnel and equipment came from the following commands.

112th Royal Hussar Regiment  (2 Companies Mech, Union Dropship, Overlord Dropship, 3 Aerospace Fighters)
 457th Heavy Tank Regiment     (2 Companies Heavy/Assault Tanks, Triumph Dropship)
 125th Royal Hussar Regiment  (1 Company Mech, 1 Hover tank Company)
 191st Royal Jump Inf Div         (1 Jump Inf Batt, 2 VTOL Companies, 2 Drost Dropships, 3 Aerospace Fighters)
 20th Mech Inf Div                    (1 Mech Inf Batt, 8 Mechs, 8 Aerospace Fighters, Artillery Company)
 151st Royal Dragoon Regiment (Last 6 surviving Mechs)
 43rd Infantry Div                     (1 Inf Batt)
 48th Infantry Div                     (6 Inf Companies)
 38th Jump Inf Div                    (1 Jump Inf Company, 2 VTOL Companies)

And then from SLDF Transport Command, 2 Star Lord Jumpships and 7 Dropships who chose to stay behind.

It will take some time to fully flesh out this unit as it is a big one. Lot's of Infantry this time around.

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Clan Hells Horses 666th Mech. Assualt Cluster
Re: 2nd Armored Cavalry
« Reply #1 on: 27 April 2017, 19:30:34 »
Ohhhhh.... shiny!

So I'm to assume there is the promise of b Mechs here?

As in the Royal b variant.

TT
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse
That is, if true tanker doesn't beat me to it. He makes truly evil units.Col.Hengist on 31 May 2013
TT, we know you are the master of nasty  O0 ~ Fletch on 22 June 2013
If I'm attacking you, conventional wisom says to bring 3x your force.  I want extra insurance, so I'll bring 4 for every 1 of what you have :D ~ Tai Dai Cultist on 21 April 2016
Me: Would you rather fight my Epithymía Thanátou from the Whispers of Blake?
Nav_Alpha: That THING... that is horrid
~ Nav_Alpha on 10 October 2016

2ndAcr

• Captain
« Reply #2 on: 27 April 2017, 20:12:49 »
 Oh you know it. Going to try not to over do it, but that is going to be hard to do. Since I am drawing slices from a wide range of units, I will not have "pure" companies like SLDF standard. Might have some pure lances, but not entire companies. Some things will stick to SLDF norm, some things I am going to use my norms. Infantry Battalions are built square. 4 Companies, 4 Platoons each. There might even be a few "rare" mechs included.

I am curious as to when I will have to "shelve" my shiny toys and start using the downgrades. Plus I want to see how long I can actually run this campaign.

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #3 on: 27 April 2017, 20:36:09 »
Custom Infantry or just generic?

I can help, if you need any... tanks, infantry possible NightHawk (P)ALs?  O:-)

TT
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse
That is, if true tanker doesn't beat me to it. He makes truly evil units.Col.Hengist on 31 May 2013
If I'm attacking you, conventional wisom says to bring 3x your force.  I want extra insurance, so I'll bring 4 for every 1 of what you have :D ~ Tai Dai Cultist on 21 April 2016

2ndAcr

• Captain
« Reply #4 on: 27 April 2017, 21:42:06 »
 Mainly going to be Generic.........I will use 21 man Jump platoons but have 4 platoons per company. Only special unit (not going to do PAL, but I did toy with it as there was a special ops unit that has a unknown fate) is a Zero G Marine Platoon of 30, but was going to use one of the Generic platoons that have space suits.

My stumbling block will be hauling my light vehicles. Prefer bays and not cargo. But I think I found a work around but we shall see.

2ndAcr

• Captain
« Reply #5 on: 29 April 2017, 19:53:11 »
 Okay here is my unit TO&E:

Cavalry Command Battalion
 PLG-3Z Pillager
 CRK-5003-1b Crockett
 AEM-03 Dragoon (We lied and did not destroy them as ordered)
 AEM-02 Dragoon (We lied and did not destroy them as ordered)
4X STK-3Fb Stalker
2X Vector (Scout)
2X Cyrano Gunship (Royal)
4X Thumper Artillery

Mech Battalion
4X STG-3Gb Stinger
HSR-200-Db Hussar
3X MON-66b Mongoose
2X SLC-1G Sling
2X SLC-1H Sling

OSP-15 Osprey
3X GRF-2N Griffin
2X LYX-9Q Lynx
2X CRB-27b Crab
SHD-2Hb Shadow Hawk
PXH-1b Phoenix Hawk
2X KY2-D-02 Kyudo
2X TBT-3C Trebuchet

4X WHM-7A Warhammer
4X TDR-5Sb Thunderbolt
2X ARC-2Rb Archer
2X CTS-6Y Cestus

Armor Battalion
12X Alacorn MKVI
12X Manticore
12X Zephyr

Infantry Regiment
12X Jump Inf (Laser)
12X Mech Track Inf (Rifle)
12X Foot Inf (Rifle)
4X Foot Inf (Laser)
8X Foot Inf (Rifle)

VTOL Battalion
12X Cyrano Gunship (Royal)
4X Vector Attack
4X Nightshade ECM (Royal)
4X Cobra MASH
12X Cobra Transport

Aerospace Wing
6X EGL-R9 Eagle
3X STU-K5b Stuka
3X TRB-D46 Thunderbird
2X EGL-R10 Eagle

Orbital Command
2X Star Lord
3X Lion
2X Drost IIA
2X Intruder
 Triumph
 Czar
 Union
 Overlord
 Achilles w/ Marine Platoon

Total
1798 Combat Personnel
94 Support Troops

I am weak on Technical support right now. All Lance or Platoon have tech assigned. I have 2 spare Aero Techs, 6 Mech Techs, 4 Mechanics. We will have to hire local Astechs to have enough people.

2ndAcr

• Captain
« Reply #6 on: 29 April 2017, 20:17:35 »
   Aug 1, 2784

Colonel Harry Mitchell sat opposite the Lyran representatives while they discussed a contract. The offer sounded too good to be true. Pirate hunting, 6 months. Independent command, 100% Transport, 90% salvage and 80% Battle Loss Comp. Monthly payout 4.4 million.

"I want a clause entered into this contract before we sign, it will state that we get to have our pick of any Aerospace, Dropships or Jumpships captured or the Lyran Government pays us 75% of market value of any assets we capture ." Colonel Mitchell stated flatly.

The Lyran rep blinked hard, "Sir, you cannot be serious, we are offering you solid terms as it is."

"But I am serious, it gets put on paper or our discussions are done. I have a 2pm meeting with the Combine rep, so what is it going to be?" Colonel Mitchell leaned back in his chair and waited.

"30% market value and we get to choose what you get to keep." The Lyran rep coldly said.

"Look, we can play this game all day, so this is my final offer, we get first dibs on any asset captured and we get 40% of the fair market value of any and all we turn over to you. This applies to Aerospace fighters, Dropships or Jumpships only, everything else the 90% salvage applies. So take it, or leave it, I got a meeting in less than 20 min with the Combine rep."

The Lyran representatives looked at each other, finally the one in charge stood and offered his hand "Sir, the Lyran Government agrees to your terms".

Colonel Mitchell stood and took the offered hand. "Let's get this contract written up and signed. Guess the Combine is out of luck."

Ten minutes later the Lyran reps left the office and Colonel Mitchell's XO entered, "Sir, that was a heck of a bluff, they were the only ones that offered us a contract other than the damn Taurian's and I am glad we both agreed to tell them a flat no".

"Well XO, I do love a good game of poker. But we got what we wanted, so let's get the troops gathered and head on out, we got some pirates to beat down.

2ndAcr

• Captain
« Reply #7 on: 29 April 2017, 21:44:04 »
 Oct 24, 2784

The Cavalry jumped into the Esztergom system and began the trip to the planet where the Lyran's reported the pirates to be operating from. It was dangerous, as this was FWL territory. Hopefully the Cavalry could complete their mission and leave without having to tangle with FWL troops.

Luckily, no other ships had been spotted in system, but Colonel Mitchell kept the Achilles close to the Jumpships just in case. The 2 Intruders, 2 Drost, Union and Overlord would secure the small space port so that the other ships could come in safely.

Nov 2, 2784

Having his full command on the ground, he sent a company of Infantry support by A Company VTOL Attack to search and secure a small village 50 miles south of the space port. Arriving, they were hit by a pirate probing force. Enemy consisted of a Crab, Hunchback, Wasp and Talon-5W along with a J Edgar, LVT-4 and Korvan. The fighting lasted only minutes, but 3 Cyrano were lost.

Total Cavalry Losses
3 Cyrano Gunships
5 KIA
8 WIA

Total enemy losses
Hunchback (ammo explosion)
Crab (salvaged)
Talon (Captured)
Korvan (salvaged)
Wasp (Lyran)

2 Mechwarriors captured
6 Vehicle crew captured

Colonel Mitchell was not happy with the exchange. Those Cyrano were almost irreplaceable.

ColBosch

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Legends Never Die
« Reply #8 on: 29 April 2017, 21:51:18 »
*raises an eyebrow* 2nd ACR, huh? What encouraged this?
BattleTech is a huge house, it's not any one fan's or "type" of fans.  If you need to relieve yourself, use the bathroom not another BattleTech fan. - nckestrel
1st and 2nd Succession Wars are not happy times. - klarg1
Check my Ogre Flickr page! https://flic.kr/s/aHsmcLnb7v and https://flic.kr/s/aHsksV83ZP

2ndAcr

• Captain
« Reply #9 on: 29 April 2017, 22:21:11 »
 Can't help it, greatest Regiment in the world. Probably still is anyway, even though they watered it down taking away our Bradleys and M1A1's.

Served with it in 1989-1991 Bamberg Germany and then Desert Shield/Storm

ColBosch

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Legends Never Die
« Reply #10 on: 29 April 2017, 22:37:56 »
I was 2CR (Stryker) (sigh) from about '04 until they reassigned us all to 2ID and send the regimental colors back to Germany. But man, it was something seeing the regimental flag, heavy with campaign ribbons. My sergeant and I pulled Regimental CQ one night, and we went through all the ribbons, looking up the history for each. Amazing stuff, and I am very proud to have served in that storied unit.
BattleTech is a huge house, it's not any one fan's or "type" of fans.  If you need to relieve yourself, use the bathroom not another BattleTech fan. - nckestrel
1st and 2nd Succession Wars are not happy times. - klarg1
Check my Ogre Flickr page! https://flic.kr/s/aHsmcLnb7v and https://flic.kr/s/aHsksV83ZP

2ndAcr

• Captain
« Reply #11 on: 30 April 2017, 00:19:05 »
 It has a long and proud history. Toujours Pret my friend.

2ndAcr

• Captain
« Reply #12 on: 30 April 2017, 16:36:00 »
 Aug 5, 2784

Once again a heavy probing action catches another Infantry company only this time while they were crossing a small valley between 2 wooded ridges. Caught in the open, the Infantry suffered 20 KIA and 30 wounded before C Company Armor arrived on the scene with their 12 Zephyr Hover tanks. Once C Company arrived on the scene, the action only lasted 10 min before the enemy was totally destroyed.

Cavalry Losses
 20 KIA
 30 WIA

Pirate Losses
2 Manticore destroyed
 Bulldog tank destroyed
 Puma tank destroyed
 Hunchback destroyed
2 Stinger destroyed
 Griffin (salvaged)

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #13 on: 30 April 2017, 20:39:38 »
I could possible pop some stats for those generics for you if you want a little spice.

TT

Also would it be too hard to modify your post to reflect loss and/or salvage in your TO&E post?
« Last Edit: 30 April 2017, 20:41:34 by truetanker »
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse

2ndAcr

• Captain
« Reply #14 on: 01 May 2017, 00:09:23 »
 I could probably record losses in the TO&E post. I am trying to get figure out how to get MekHQ to generate larger than lance sized battles. Wish it would generate company sized fights for me. Getting tired of having my solo infantry companies taking on 1-2 lances, mech/armor lances taking on companies. Even though I deploy additional forces, those 4-7 turns waiting on them to arrive see's my solo units pounded.

I want to slam entire company and Battalions against each other. Heck I would fight my entire force against a foe if I could.

Right now, I am not fielding any additional forces as I am not recruiting new personnel to fill out losses as this contract goes.  I was gonna do a end of contract TO&E recount to take in additions and losses that must be made good.

2ndAcr

• Captain
« Reply #15 on: 01 May 2017, 06:14:17 »
 Okay, I have to manually create the larger battles. So, Command Battalion and Mech Battalion are attacking the pirate main force of 48 Mechs. Pirates have 1 med company, 1 Heavy company and a Assault company in addition I gave them a mixed company of 1 med, 1 hvy, 1 assault lance.

Using a 160X120 map. Spent 4 hours last night just marching. Only shots fired were by Cavalry VTOL choppers that scored a single hit on a Battlemaster at range 19. Cavalry Command Company and C Co Mech are just now getting in range of the enemy Medium Company. A and B Co lighter mechs are to the west of Command and C company but still a distance from engaging an enemy Assault Company with harassing fire.

Gonna take a few days to finish this fight.

2ndAcr

• Captain
« Reply #16 on: 02 May 2017, 14:29:15 »
 16 Nov 2784

The battle lasted 4 hours. Colonel Mitchell and his people were exhausted. It was almost a evenly matched fight except his people had much better equipment overall. Intel had found some interesting markings on some of the mechs captured. It looks like this pirate band used to serve Amaris. That explained some of the advanced mechs these pirates fielded.

The Cavalry Mechs were beat up. His senior Tech was raising hell about all the damage he had to repair. Estimates were full repairs would take weeks. He really needed to beef up the tech department.

The Cavalry had lost 4 Mechwarriors KIA with another 13 in the hospital. They had captured 29 pirates, with 13 expressing interest in going legit and wanting to link up if he would have them. Intel was talking to the prisoners now to weed out the worst.

On the salvage front, things were much better. They had captured enough Mechs to field another full company with a few left over. But they were a battered and beat down bunch of Mechs. It would cost a fortune in time and supplies to repair them all.

2ndAcr

• Captain
« Reply #17 on: 02 May 2017, 21:54:25 »
 8 Dec 2784

Having spent the last 3 weeks repairing equipment and sweeping the planet for any remaining pirates, Colonel Mitchell ordered the Cavalry to load up and leave Free World space. Overall the mission was a success. He contemplated what he did right and what went wrong.

First wrong that needed correcting was beefing the tech staff way up. The Cavalry Mech forces were at 25% strength undamaged after the battle. 65% strength in 48 hours, but it took almost 3 weeks to arrive back at 100%.

Second wrong, the infantry units need organic support. They got caught with low support a few times and he was not going to let that happen again.

Third wrong, artillery support was lacking. That needs to be beefed up.

Intel had finally finished weeding out the bad seeds of the captive pirates. 9 of the prisoners who expressed interest in joining were cleared to join the ranks.

Captured Mechs

2x Goliath GOL-1H (selling both)
3x Emperor EMP-5A (one a total loss, 2 will be converted to 6A model and kept)
5X Griffin GRF-1N (selling all 5)
     Banshee BNC-3M (selling)
4X Wolverine WVR-6R (selling all 4)
     Hunchback HBK-4G (selling)
2X Battlemaster BLG-1G (selling both)
3X Lancelot LNC25-01 (selling all 3)
3X Thunderbolt TDR-5S (selling all 3)
     Talon TLN-5W (keeping)
3X Thug 11E (converting them to Royal model and kept)
     Galahad GLH-2D (keeping)
     Crusader CRD-2R (keeping)
2X Dragoon AEM-03 (keeping)
1X Dragoon AEM-02 (keeping)
     Crab CRB-27 (keeping and converting to Royal)
2X Lynx LNX-9Q (keeping)

But what to do with the new Mech Company. Add a 4th company to the Mech Battalion? Maybe add the company to Cavalry Command Battalion, it currently only fields 8 mechs. Buy a couple new mechs and field 2 full companies there, shift VTOL Recon over to the artillery company as spotters.

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #18 on: 02 May 2017, 22:09:09 »
Give the Royals mechs to the Infantry for supporting actions. They would have the next OpFor literally needing to change their brown stained BDUs ASAP!

Like detaching them for supporting roles while the infantry move up.

Weird I know... but effective. Use the hands to punch into buildings, SRMs in Anti-bunker busters, ER PPCs and ER Lasers for ranged attack.

Something like this I used back in the day, twin Thug-10E's and paired Crab-27's supported a company of PBI's on the move. Laid waste everything that was thrown at me, except an ambush in the form of a pair of Hetzers. Took AC fire to one of the Crabs, losing it.. but the return fire!

Imagine swapping a SRM Inferno ammo per Thug...

TT
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse

Dave Talley

• Major
« Reply #19 on: 02 May 2017, 22:56:48 »
you might consider a mixed recon battalion
2-3 lances of recon mechs
2-3 lances of vtols
3 lances of fast hovers
all trained to work together in mixed detachments
Resident Smartass since 1998
“Toe jam in training”

Because while the other Great Houses of the Star League thought they were playing chess, House Cameron was playing Paradox-Billiards-Vostroyan-Roulette-Fourth Dimensional-Hypercube-Chess-Strip Poker the entire time.
JA Baker

Lamont-Cranston

• Corporal
« Reply #20 on: 02 May 2017, 23:46:26 »
>what to do

Combine arms the infantry and armour.

Combine the mechanised infantry battalion with the two tank companies.

Does the zephyr have an infantry bay? I can't remember. If so combine as many foot sloggers with 'em as possible. Maybe get hover apc for the rest?

You could even do Air Assault combining the Vector with some foot platoons too. Or the Jump infantry.

You could add a mech company to the tank/mechanised  infantry combo, this would bring it up to two full battalions in strength. A heavy one probably.

Maybe add the light mech company to the zephyr/hover apc foot infantry combo.

2ndAcr

• Captain
« Reply #21 on: 03 May 2017, 16:57:41 »
Zephyr has no infantry compartment.
Good suggestions, all of them.

I am toying with the idea of adding "Brigade" to the unit's name and forming 2 Regiments each with 2 Mech companies, 2 Armor companies and 2 Infantry Battalions. One a heavy/assault the other a light/medium faster unit. Mech inf and Jump infantry in the heavy regiment and add hover transports to haul the 2 leg Battalions for the fast regiment. Or I could use the Jump Infantry with VTOL in the fast regiment, along with the 2 leg infantry and add another Mech infantry Battalion to my roster for the heavy regiment.

I could then fill out the Mech and armor Battalions to full strength in next couple contracts depending on salvage and such. My reason currently of thinking along these lines. I have 3 Lion Dropships, they can right now carry 24 mechs and 36 light vehicles, add the Czar to that and I can without modifying anything carry the entire regiment easily and on 1 Jumpship. Would be easy to mod the Lion where each carries a full company of Mechs, only losing 600 cargo space in doing so for the extra 4 mech bays each. Heavy Regiment would be carries on board the Overlord, Triumph and 2 Drost.

Lot's of eggs in one basket on the Heavy Regiment though.
« Last Edit: 03 May 2017, 17:02:49 by 2ndAcr »

2ndAcr

• Captain
« Reply #22 on: 03 May 2017, 17:29:52 »
 Order placed to beef up the artillery company.......2 Long Toms purchased and 4 Vali Arrow tanks purchased. Plus several hundred tons of Arrow ammo.

2ndAcr

• Captain
« Reply #23 on: 03 May 2017, 17:37:19 »
 Also I noted that SLDF standard was for a armor company in each Battalion for Mech Infantry Battalions. Might use Chevaliers for this addition. Grunt infantry I can always purchase a company of Maxim Hover and assign a company to each Battalion. If I slim down each company to normal 3 platoons, I have another company Jump Infantry, 2 companies of Foot Infantry and 1 company of Mech Infantry.

Not sure on last though, I am fond of my 4 Platoon Infantry Companies.

2ndAcr

• Captain
« Reply #24 on: 03 May 2017, 18:21:10 »
 1 Jan 2785

New contract accepted, this time we are working for our former bosses the Terran Hegemony. We are offered decent terms but accepting the contract felt right with the entire command, since 85% of the troops were born in the Terran Hegemony. Only 60% battle loss compensation and 40% salvage rights. Projected with contract pay only to lose 7.5 million.

Mission, travel to Alphard and conduct a relief mission. Our foe, the Free Worlds League.

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #25 on: 03 May 2017, 20:15:34 »
Short term:

I use the APC, Standard...

BUT:
3x Wheeled, 1x LRM Wheeled = 3 tons or a Foot Platoon
3x Tracked, 1x LRM Tracked = 3 tons or a Foot Platoon
2x Hover, 1x LRM Hover, 1x Sensor Hover = 3 tons or a Foot Platoon

Now the Hvy Hover, Wheeled and Tracked have a LRM variant but loses 3 tons for this.

I'd roll with 2 of each Hvy Standard and a 2 Hvy LRM variants for 12 Foot Platoons. But if you wanted to, there is SRM and MG variants as well.

TT
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse

Lamont-Cranston

• Corporal
« Reply #26 on: 05 May 2017, 10:00:28 »
With the Terran Alliance breaking down and being gobbled up by the house lords, who would be hiring them? Local government or noble ruler?

2ndAcr

• Captain
« Reply #27 on: 05 May 2017, 16:18:07 »
 Well, MekHQ only has them listed as Terran Hegemony. So it will be a few years. I took the contract because I need some goodies that only the FWL currently has. Already lost 5 Vet and Elite Mech pilots to friggin head shots though. Damn so called Veteran enemy pilots that have 1 gunnery skills. Heck even a couple of Regular rated enemy pilots had gunnery skills of 1 and 2.

Damn contract gonna be costly in casualties and low salvage.

snakespinner

• Captain
« Reply #28 on: 05 May 2017, 18:08:46 »
To get gunnery skills of 1 or 2 you must be elite.
How did MHQ do that.
I wish I could get a good grip on reality, then I would choke it.
Growing old is inevitable,
Growing up is optional.
Watching TrueToaster create evil genius, priceless...everything else is just sub-par.

2ndAcr

• Captain
« Reply #29 on: 05 May 2017, 18:46:54 »
 No clue but I have captured a few pilot 4, gunnery 1-2................and even a few 5 pilot and 1-2 gunnery