Author Topic: Mechwarrior 4 MOD TOOLS (MOD TOOLS ONLY, GAME IS NOT INCLUDED)  (Read 6506 times)

Armored Yokai

• Recruit
Hello, everyone I bring much great news! have added multiple modding tools for the MW4 game(s) into a single
.rar that's 5.68 MB. Years ago before the transition of Mektek from Mechwarrior to Heavy Gear the company was having hard times...
the lead designer's house burned down and with that fire, all of the tools/MekPak4content/information were lost and soon after it became difficult to keep the servers up because only the beta testers would have the money to keep the project going and it all just eventually collapsed. With these TOOLs, they may not be the most superb or high quality but they do indeed get the job done. Adding these tools gives people a chance to bring the game back in some way or add the things they never could have in the game in the first place. I must warn you guys if you intend to add mechs,while it may seem easy with these tools this task is VERY difficult and labor intensive
(takes around 30 minutes to add/modify the files in for just 1 mech)not to mention the game appears to be hard-coded so you need to find a way to counter that to make the game detect the mechs, other than that i wish everyone good luck on your future "home-brew" updates!
http://www.moddb.com/games/mechwarrior-4-mercenaries/downloads/star-league-cache-mechwarrior-4-mod-tools

Caedis Animus

• Captain
  • How can a bird be sultry? Very carefully.
Oooh, nice.

Any ideas on how to counter the hard coding problem, though?

Armored Yokai

• Recruit
I'm sorry but that is something i can't really help you with because I am not a programmer, all i can say is that is i think it's the .exe that needs but the code shouldn't be too difficult to decipher because 2002 coding and there's many advancements now. to be honest i am looking for help also.  :'(

Caedis Animus

• Captain
Actually, that'd make it harder to figure out in a lot of cases. Coding can be harder to decipher/understand as time goes on.

Armored Yokai

• Recruit
ahh i see, i also forgot to mention another place to look is at the Mechcommander 2 shared source release that's somewhere on MODDB its coding shouldn't too different from Mechwarrior 4's coding and XNA was involved with MC2 so from my assumption Mechwarrior 4 uses C# or Visual Basic... but if you have some familiarity of coding you should be able to know what it really is from the .script files that reside in the core.mw4 in mercshellscripts

pheonixstorm

• Major
It would have been done in C++

VB NEVER works for professional 3D games, it's just waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too slow for that. As for C#, very unlikely. Not so much a speed issue but it isn't a real AAA used language.

As for MC2... completely different type of game so it is unlikely to share anything related other than probably the language it was written in. That far back not even the graphics would have used the same formatting.

There is also a big difference between the game engine and the game scripts. In most older games they used a custom script engine loosely based on C. Doom/Quake, Neverwinter Nights, Warzone 2100. Those all used a C like scripting interface for a lot of different items. World of Warcraft and SimCity 4 used LUA while EVE Online heavily uses python for its scripting.

On the MekTek subject, did they have the source code for MW4 or did they just mod the data files to add in everything that they did? When you say hard-coded that is for the binary exe only. Generally most games do not hard code certain unit data as well as number of units a game has. Doing so makes adding new units a chore, which makes costs go up accordingly. As such most of this material is keep in some type of storage file (in binary form) but is easily accessed by the engine (and modders).

Armored Yokai

• Recruit
Thanks for the info PhoenixStorm  8), about mektek with their programs...It's been a long time and from what i recall from memory they hadn't specifically stated what they used but they hinted something about having "their own" programs

when I have added everything I could find in the mektek's version of MW4 about the Thug into Black Knight, i get smacked with this
(Pulled from the error text i saved)
gosScript
=========
Error during Script Execute

File        : Content\ShellScriptsX\MechBay\infobox.script
Line number : 493
Script code : (null)

Once i reset it it would go to the next file that contained Information about the Thug and it would just be impossible to find out
and people I've talked with on Mechstorm always think it was hardcoded because they couldn't find anything else that needs changing but learning from you, you just may be right about the hardcoding and it may be something else entirely, that however is up to you to find out. I'm no programmer and I've scoured everywhere on the Mechstorm forums about adding mechs but, no one else knows and the only luck they've had is replacing a mech. one more thing! you could talk to the Net Battletech Hardcore people of Mech 4, they've added a Griffin/Hatchetman/Champion/Stiletto/Thunderbolt/TT Maddog/Marauder IIC/Crusader/Fire Falcon/Packhunter and it appears they run on a "Fake" .EXE or extra .MW4 files like Blackknight but renamed to RHC.MW4 THC.MW4 PHC.MW4 CHC.MW4, I'd give you my install but that isn't allowed :'( P.S sorry on my Punctuation I've never been good with it.

pheonixstorm

• Major
I have the old MekTek files somewhere I think... do they still work though?

As for the game itself.. not sure if the full install is needed so long as you have the data to work with. You have to look into any file that isn't a exe or dll. Everything else (besides the music and video) should be easier to decipher. Especially if it is built with non-compiled scripts or if there is a program to decompile the scripts. Hexeditors work well for this kind of work in a lot of cases.

Armored Yokai

• Recruit
I've used Hex editors but there are already programs made in the mod tools to help
the only issue is getting the game to detect the added mechs
and yeah they should work

Armored Yokai

• Recruit
 I pulled this on some other site and it should give more information "Mechwarrior 4: Mercenaries was a game that Microsoft released in 2002. The game engine, even then, was widely scorned as "unfinished".. with a number of bugs and exploitable issues. Even Microsoft's "Point Release 1" update for the game did little to asuage these complaints.

Microsoft also released two update packs for Mechwarrior 4: Mercenaries, the Clan Pak, and the Inner Sphere Pak. Each pack was sold separately in an obvious cash grab, and did little more than unlock 8 mechs (4 per pack) that were already available to NPC's in the game.

Mechwarrior 4: Mercenaries' only saving grace was it's multiplayer gaming, though it's limited number of players per game, and limited number of multiplayer game types made it quickly boring. Still, like had happened for Mechwarrior 2: Netmech, several "leagues" formed around the game, with multiple teams vying for seasonal titles for scoring in ladder games.

MekTek first entered the scene as a group of modders who were able to hack the game. The Mechwarrior 4: Mercenaries gaming engine was never intended to be moddable, and so special techniques had to be developed to fool the game engine into using new mech designs, new images, etc.

Over the years, MekTek released 4 major content patches, or "MekPaks".. Meckpaks 1, 2, 2.1, and 3. MekTek is also credited by some for the popularization of the phrase "Soon™" and the resultant Soon² , Soon²·¹ , Soon³, and of course, Soon³·¹ due to it's eager promises of new content, and long periods of silence between releases. These Paks, released sporadically, months and even years apart, added dozens of new mechs to the games, with artwork created by fans, for fans. Among these fanmade mechs were old favourites, the so-called "unseen" which had to be removed or redesigned from the official Mechwarrior products due to intellectual property conflicts with the makers of several anime including Macross (Robotech), Crusher Joe, and others.

MekTek's last major release was MP 3.1.. which was made after MekTek gained access to the Source Code, in a deal with the game's owners. This allowed the fledgling programmers to really get in and change some things in the game code, rather than piling on hacks and patches. MP3.1 however, while it added support for widescreen monitors and changed some ingame elements, added no new mechs to the game.

Prior to MP3.1, MekTek's previous patch release was in 2005. That's almost 5 long years between MP3, and MP 3.1. 5 years that have seen the death of the organizer of MW4's largest league, and some pretty serious advances in both console and PC gaming the likes of Half Life 2, Portal, Battlefield 2, and beyond.

Saying that the MW4 gaming engine is dated, is something of an understatement. While MekTek has some ability to upgrade the engine, and fix it's bugs, we are talking about an 8 year old game for the PC, whose graphics were considered subpar in 2002 when compared to the first Halo installment (released in 2001). Since MW4: Mercs was released, Microsoft went on to create MechAssault, and MechAssault 2: Lone Wolf for the Xbox. The Mechwarrior/Battletech gaming franchise, once a pen and paper role-playing game franchise, and a tabletop miniature combat franchise, held by gaming giant FASA, soon became a collectable hero-clicks-style card game by Magic: The Gathering creator, WizKids.

Now, standing the the shadow of an upcoming video game reboot from newcomer Smith&Tinker, Mechwarrior 4: Mercenaries hasn't aged well. And even a free release of this 8 year old game is unlikely to bring back those pre-secondlife glory days of 4v4 or 8v8 capture the flag league matches. Compared to what's on the market nowadays.. Mechwarrior 4: Mercenaries isn't even in the running."""

BATTLEMASTER

• Captain
  • Hot and Unbothered
Re: Mechwarrior 4 MOD TOOLS (MOD TOOLS ONLY, GAME IS NOT INCLUDED)
« Reply #10 on: 07 May 2017, 20:33:09 »
I do believe that MekTek had access to the source code, as they were slated to release a MekPak 4 that included other game mechanics like C3 and MASC.  Unfortunately that never came to fruition.  MWO rendered that moot anyway, IMO, and I'm grateful that game is around.  Looking forward to the next MechWarrior standalone and Battletech!
BATTLEMASTER
Trombone Player, Lego Enthusiast, Engineer
Clan Smoke Jaguar, Delta Galaxy ("The Cloud Rangers"), 4th Jaguar Dragoons
"You better stand back, I'm not sure how loud this thing can get!"
If you like Lego, you'll like my Lego battlemech projects!

Caedis Animus

• Captain
« Reply #11 on: 08 May 2017, 00:03:29 »
I always wanted to try modifying MW4 to be more CBT like. I wonder if I could do that with this...

Or, more importantly, be able to make a full remaster with MWO's mechs (Which would probably violate a few copyright laws, actually... Maybe? Either way I should prolly get the 3D remaster art, if I can, from other fans)

Armored Yokai

• Recruit
« Reply #12 on: 12 May 2017, 21:44:35 »
If anyone has any success, please inform me!
i seek to find a way to modify important pointers in the hard code

Suralin

• Lieutenant
« Reply #13 on: 26 June 2017, 22:46:40 »
Oooh, nice.

Any ideas on how to counter the hard coding problem, though?

I'd guess we'd need the source code from MS and/or Cyberlore for that.

Register