Author Topic: A Couple Of Jump Travel Questions  (Read 19517 times)

vidar

• Warrant Officer
Re: A Couple Of Jump Travel Questions
« Reply #30 on: 31 May 2017, 07:37:01 »
Yes the drives are powerful, I was thinking more the combined time to charge the drive and get to a new pirate point.  I don't remember if a jumpship can effective use its drive to maneuver and keep the jumpsail deployed.

Frabby

• Major
« Reply #32 on: 31 May 2017, 10:47:00 »
The whole purpose of the station keeping drive is, well, keeping the ship stationary (relative to the sun) so that its delicate jump sail isn't disturbed.
Sarna.net BattleTechWiki Admin
Author of the BattleCorps stories Feather vs. Mountain, Rise and Shine, Proprietary, Trial of Faith & scenario Twins

vidar

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #33 on: 31 May 2017, 16:39:23 »
My book are packed but I was wondering if the added time to move to a new pirate point and then charge would be longer than just charging at the jump point.  Also the window in time at a pirate point would make the calculation for getting to the point and attaching the dropships problematic.

Tai Dai Cultist

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #34 on: 31 May 2017, 16:48:47 »
Well pirate points exist in four dimensions.... you have x y and z just like a physical object but they also "open" and "close".  If you use a pirate point to jump in to the system, it may close again before you jump out.   It can be a question of how long do you have to wait for the gravitational forces to balance out again.   Hopefully you didn't miss a pirate point window that only opens every few years... or centuries!

If you jump in to a pirate point and can't get out again before it closes, your "station keeping" drive can push you out beyond the proximity limit (or to another currently open pirate point) so you can jump out of the system again... but that travel will be a huge time sink as you can't be recharging the solar sail in the process.. and you'll transit slower than a dropship with exponentially more powerful thrust.
« Last Edit: 31 May 2017, 16:52:58 by Tai Dai Cultist »

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Colonel
  • 504th "Gateway" Division
    • There are Monsters in my Sky!
« Reply #35 on: 31 May 2017, 19:32:57 »
[real world]If we could get VASIMR working, it'd give us 0.1G continuous. Which makes the difference between Mars in 14 days, eating packed lunch, and Mars in 9 months, eating recycled human waste.[/real world]

Commercial ships are likely to head to zenith points because if a system has interstellar infrastructure, that's where you'll find it. Recharge stations don't only have batteries, they have a range of spare parts, supplies of oxygen & water, food you haven't tried before, and faces you haven't seen.  Expensive, sure.

And if you are running a dodgy repaired JumpShip, then having a repair crew somewhere nearby could be worth your life.

Military ships? Sure. Lots of reasons not to use the standard points, if you know the local conditions well enough.  But as mentioned, you'd better have your transponder going if you jump into non-standard areas around a major planet.
* No, FASA wasn't big on errata - ColBosch
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* To sum it up: FASAnomics: By Cthulhu, for Cthulhu - Moonsword
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

gomiville

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #36 on: 01 June 2017, 16:09:10 »
I've held long head canon (and enforced in any AUs I mess with) that many systems differentiate zenith and nadir locations. 

Something like zenith for commercial traffic, with some kind of transit station (maybe recharge, maybe cargo holding, probably customs, maybe a Ferengi running a bar with gambling, etc). 

And nadir point for military traffic, with a naval station (maybe a shipyard, maybe rec facilities for troops, the vice admiral's office, etc). 

Pirate points near the inhabited planet, and other other points of interest in the system, are closely monitored and defended.  Pirate points elsewhere in the system are regularly patrolled, if ships are available to patrol.

HobbesHurlbut

• Captain
  • Live Free or Die Hard
« Reply #37 on: 01 June 2017, 18:29:06 »
And those are assuming that the Jumping ship in question either doesn't Jump or makes it to its destination at all.  How many Jump/Warships were lost for the simple fact that it never came back from the Jump?  Wouldn't that be more likely in a Pirate Point Jump than a Z/N Jump?  And there are stories in the fluff about ships not showing up where they were expected.
This is why having up to date astrological data is very important on a system; Nadir and Zenith points are easier to calculate as they're relatively free of any astrological body's gravitational well for most parts. Pirate points are harder to calculate beyond the fixed ones which are usually already covered well enough.
Clan Blood Spirit - So Bad Ass as to require Orbital Bombardments to wipe us out....it is the only way to be sure!

idea weenie

• Major
« Reply #38 on: 01 June 2017, 20:58:36 »
Economic advantages?  Sure, for the DropShip captains.  I'm not so sure there are economic advantages to be had for the JumpShips, though.  Not unless the JumpShips and DropShips are owned by the same entity, which probably won't be the case.

One economic advantage is that since you are orbiting near the planet instead of at the Z/N region, you are 1/10 the distance to the sun, meaning you can receive up to ~100 times as much solar energy per square meter.  This means your recharge time can drop to as little as 1% normal.  However this imposes all the quick-charge penalties associated with doing that.  Still, if the star you are targeting to jump to has a 300 hour recharge time at the Z/N zone, and you need to shave hours, jumping to a pirate point (i.e. between the planet and the star) means instead of spending 300 hours recharging, you only ned to spend ~175 hours (or whatever the safe recharge time is).

It also drops time for Dropships to transit.  IIRC, it is on average ~10 days transit to/from Z/N and the destination planet, but only ~8 hrs from a pirate point to the same planet.  So instead of your Dropships burning fuel for 20 days, you can deliver cargo within 20 hours.

Even if there were no safety and filling-up-space-available-docking-collars aspects in favor of Z/N (and I feel it's pretty well demonstrated that there *are*), keeping insurance coverage is surely an economic disincentive for a JumpShip owner in making repeated use of pirate points.  I'd even imagine insurance concerns might limit commercial JumpShips from using anything BUT Z/N points (barring of course those times House Armies shanghai the ship into military service).

Insurance would raise rates for using Z/N points, but if the Jumpship can travel faster due to using them the insurance costs can be handled by having higher income.  You are also only ~8 hours away from an inhabited planet, instead of ~10 days, meaning if you get in trouble you can get helped a lot faster.

Yes the drives are powerful, I was thinking more the combined time to charge the drive and get to a new pirate point.  I don't remember if a jumpship can effective use its drive to maneuver and keep the jumpsail deployed.

For the planet-star pirate point, it is effectively the L1 LaGrange point which objects can orbit (like SOHO is).  So a Jumpship could jump to the L1 pirate point, maneuver into a parking orbit, and deploy its sail partially (due to the 100* as strong solar emissions at that distance).

Now the fun part for the L1 point is that it incorporates rotation of the planet as part of the math that defines the L1 point, but a pirate point is only concerned with gravity.  So that could make things 'interesting'.

(This Pirate Point discussion is why one of the supertechs I wished the WoB had developed was a Pirate Point Network.  I.e. a freighter wants to go from system A to System B, but reduce travel time.  So they pay a fee to WoB, and request pirate point calcs from the local HPG.  That HPG sends a request to the destination system for current pirate point calcs.  The destination system processes the calcs and includes a time frame where those calcs can be used, and a second time frame where they will be useless.  This is to make sure nobody tries to jump in at the same time someone else is maneuvering to leave.  System B HPG sends the data back to System A, and System A sends the calcs to the requesting Jumpship.  Each system's HPG uses its own HPGs supercomputers to calculate continuous pirate point calcs in case they are needed, both for the main planet, and for other planets in-system.  It would allow rapid freight shipping, and also rapidly deploying troops from one planet to another.)

vidar

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #39 on: 02 June 2017, 06:34:52 »
All those nice L points have a little issus, they also collect any thing with a low enough V.  So yes they are nice and predicable, but also full of junk.  So it just takes one bit that's to big for your K-F field to blow up and your in a world of hurt.  Not so in nice clean N/Z points. 

And quick charging drives is almost never a good idea, a few stray watts and your suck until someone remanufatures your biggest most complex component.  Until that happens your a really sucky dropship.  And in many cases in seem that it's simpler to just scuttle your ship than reapir it.

cray

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • How's it sit? Pretty cunning, don't you think?
« Reply #40 on: 02 June 2017, 09:18:24 »
All those nice L points have a little issus, they also collect any thing with a low enough V.  So yes they are nice and predicable, but also full of junk.  So it just takes one bit that's to big for your K-F field to blow up and your in a world of hurt.  Not so in nice clean N/Z points. 

The only junk-collecting points are sometimes L4 and L5, but those aren't valid jump points. The only valid Lagrange jump point is L1 (or, rather, a place near L1 - jump drives don't care about the centripetal component, just the gravitational component of Lagrange points).

L1, L2, and L3 are not stable points and thus stuff at them won't stay there without active station keeping. SOHO et al need to burn 1 to 10m/s of fuel per year to remain at the Earth-Sol L1 point. The actual jump point near L1 is even less stable because it's further away from the larger body and thus deeper in the gravity well of the smaller body forming the Lagrange point - jump drives don't care about the centripetal factor that puts the actual L1 point closer to the larger body. If an arriving JumpShip doesn't immediately move to a halo orbit or Lissajous orbit around L1, it'll naturally fall into an elliptical orbit around the smaller body. Any debris in the area won't stick around, either.

L4 and L5 are also not stable in all situations over long periods. In the solar system, only the Jovian and Neptunian solar L4 and L5 points are stable for long periods (over thousands of years). Other L4/L5 points, like those of Earth and Saturn, are mostly empty due to perturbations from other bodies (especially Jupiter). Jupiter's got a bunch of Trojan asteroids; Earth doesn't.
Mike Miller, Materials Engineer

**"A man walks down the street in that hat, people know he's not afraid of anything." --Wash, Firefly.
**"Well, the first class name [for pocket WarShips]: 'Ship with delusions of grandeur that is going to evaporate 3.1 seconds after coming into NPPC range' tended to cause morale problems...." --Korzon77
**"Describe the Clans." "Imagine an entire civilization built out of 80’s Ric Flairs, Hulk Hogans, & Macho Man Randy Savages ruling over an entire labor force with Einstein Level Intelligence." --Jake Mikolaitis

Disclaimer: Anything stated in this post is unofficial and non-canon unless directly quoted from a published book. Random internet musings of a BattleTech writer are not canon.

vidar

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #41 on: 02 June 2017, 09:24:08 »
Silly me I was only thinking of L4 and L5 being the more stable and therefore more useful as jump targets ;D. Forgot how much the massive planets interfered.  Thanks Cray.

cray

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
« Reply #42 on: 02 June 2017, 09:40:35 »
Silly me I was only thinking of L4 and L5 being the more stable and therefore more useful as jump targets ;D. Forgot how much the massive planets interfered.  Thanks Cray.

It's not just the big planets. As noted in StratOps p134 (and real physics), the L2, L3, L4, and L5 points are products of both gravity and centripetal force.

For example, the Earth-Luna L2 and L3 points have both Luna and Earth on one side of each point, with gravity adding up to pull in one direction only. That makes L2 and L3 points utterly unsuited to jump drives - the gravity is higher, not smaller. L2 and L3 are useful points for satellite orbits because there's also a centripetal factor that balances the gravity, but jump drives don't care about or even sense the centripetal force.

L4 and L5 likewise don't see gravity being nullified in a way that suits jump drives. You've got two bodies pulling in different directions and centripetal force pulling another way.

L1 points - or a place near them - is where gravity pulls in exactly opposite directions and reaches a minimum suited for jump drives.

**"A man walks down the street in that hat, people know he's not afraid of anything." --Wash, Firefly.
**"Well, the first class name [for pocket WarShips]: 'Ship with delusions of grandeur that is going to evaporate 3.1 seconds after coming into NPPC range' tended to cause morale problems...." --Korzon77
**"Describe the Clans." "Imagine an entire civilization built out of 80’s Ric Flairs, Hulk Hogans, & Macho Man Randy Savages ruling over an entire labor force with Einstein Level Intelligence." --Jake Mikolaitis

Disclaimer: Anything stated in this post is unofficial and non-canon unless directly quoted from a published book. Random internet musings of a BattleTech writer are not canon.

SCC

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #43 on: 03 June 2017, 05:04:38 »
It's possible for something to go into an orbit near the L1 point, right?

And I just realized that here are two advantages to jumping from L1 to L1, ability to charge higher rates and lower fuel usage.

And I'll repeat that the original thrust of my inquiry was more along the line of why aren't these the default points?

Cryhavok101

• Captain
« Reply #44 on: 03 June 2017, 07:43:59 »
If I had to guess, I would say: Paranoia about jumping into another JumpShip. L1 Points a are a lot smaller than z and N points. They would be able to fit lots of jump ships in them, but they are still a lot smaller, and you don't really know if there is another JumpShip right where you are targeting or not, until you try to jump there. With zenith and nadir points you can be as far away from the actual exact point as you want, as long as you not getting closer to the system, so the odds of jumping into another JumpShip are far lower than the odds are at an L1 point, or lower than they would be if the L1 Point was the standard use jump point. Those odds might be astronomically low in both cases, but one is gonna have a lot more decimal places than the other.

cray

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
« Reply #45 on: 03 June 2017, 08:05:40 »
It's possible for something to go into an orbit near the L1 point, right?

Sure. You scoot from the jump point to the actual L1 point and enter a halo or Lissajous orbit.

And I'll repeat that the original thrust of my inquiry was more along the line of why aren't these the default points?

Much worse target numbers to pull off the jumps due to the jump point's more complicated motions and numerous gravitational influences that aren't present at standard jump points. Further, pirate points are down in the plane of the ecliptic with more debris passing through the points. The L1 pirate point might not accumulate debris, but it is dustier there. Both "DropShips & JumpShips" and "Strategic Operations" discuss the value of standard jump points, and the rules encode their ease of use.

Charistoph

• Major
« Reply #46 on: 03 June 2017, 18:52:36 »
This is why having up to date astrological data is very important on a system; Nadir and Zenith points are easier to calculate as they're relatively free of any astrological body's gravitational well for most parts. Pirate points are harder to calculate beyond the fixed ones which are usually already covered well enough.
Exactly.  Just a minor miscalculation or a twitch of power in the Core when initiating a Jump that would have been safe on a Z/N point, could be catastrophic in the relatively small area that any Pirate Point would provide.
Are you a Wolf, a Sheep, or a Hound?
Quote from: Megavolt
They called me crazy…they called me insane…THEY CALLED ME LOONEY!! and boy, were they right.

Charistoph's Painted Products of Mechanical Mayhem

haesslich

• Lieutenant
« Reply #47 on: 04 June 2017, 01:57:00 »
I don't know about you, but after several centuries of warfare and about six hundred years of people invading planets, I'd ban any pirate point use for civilian ships or non-emergency military transport. With Zenith and Nadir jump points, I can theoretically secure the system better by assuming  any arrivals or departures outside of that area are for non-friendly reasons. Legitimate traffic may take longer to get into system, but it also simplifies procedures if I can declare 'assume hostile intents for any non Z/N traffic'.

Usually the difference in transport time isn't too significant for the passengers in transit, and cargo can be offloaded at space stations closer to the jump point, so as not to waste the jumpship's precious time. Space transportation in BT assumes that the jumpships are basically the large seafaring vessels which go into the deep ocean while dropships are basically the cutters or small skiffs  that work the rivers and coastlines.  You don't want that super tanker or multi-billion ton bulk carrier sitting in dock for months while waiting for all the cargo to be assembled at port. You want the stuff loaded and unloaded ASAP so you can keep making money.

The jumpship doesn't really care about the dropships it carries once they arrive at the destination system, at least for regular civilian traffic. Jumpships are basically interchangeable, unless you're transporting a military unit whose Jumpships are integrated into the TO&E, and even then they're only attached in the sense that they're there to take the dropships to their next destination, while cargo or passenger dropships for care which Jumpship they hook up to, as long as it's going to their destination.

Do you care about which specific plane you board at the airport (right down to the serial number) as long as it's flying where you want to go and has you luggage on it, as long as your fare is paid?

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • The Temple Grounds - My Roleplaying and History website
« Reply #48 on: 05 June 2017, 00:13:30 »
Of course, we've never been told how JumpShips avoid jump accidents at the standard jump points. I always assumed they probably drop a bit closer to the star, just below the proximity limit, to recharge and use their station keeping drives to nudge them back over the proximity threshold before they jump out again. Safe distance from other ships jumping out is 20 kilometers, and 2 kilometers from other ships jumping in.
this may not be far off..
IIRC a jumpship cannot be under drive when deploying or retracting its sail, to avoid the lines snarling. given that deploying the sail likely takes a fair bit of time, the ship would be drifting towards the star that whole time.

so if you plot your emergence 'high' in the jump point zone and drift down towards the star* by the time you have your sail deployed you should be fairly well clear of the emergence point you used. then just let her drift down a bit more till you're near the bottom of the point before you kick in the station keeping drive, and maneuver into a holding pattern away from any other ships.

when you leave, you don't absolutely have to climb higher, though i suspect that many ships start climbing a bit before refurling the sail so that they have upward momentum while their drive is off, just to be sure that they are clear of any possible interactions.

*to paraphrase Ender's Game.. The Star is always down.
« Last Edit: 05 June 2017, 00:18:59 by glitterboy2098 »

cray

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
« Reply #49 on: 05 June 2017, 15:11:23 »
so if you plot your emergence 'high' in the jump point zone and drift down towards the star* by the time you have your sail deployed you should be fairly well clear of the emergence point you used. then just let her drift down a bit more till you're near the bottom of the point before you kick in the station keeping drive, and maneuver into a holding pattern away from any other ships.

The standard traffic avoidance procedure is to burn inside the proximity limit, so recharging JumpShips cannot possibly have another JumpShip appear atop them. Likewise, recharge stations and other jump point stations hide just inside the proximity limit.

monbvol

• Colonel
  • I said don't look!
« Reply #50 on: 06 June 2017, 19:59:20 »
Aside from the increased probability of objects obscuring the jump sail I seem to remember that you'd have to dial down the power coming through the jump sail that close in or it would lead to having to make quick charge rolls.  So the time savings for the Dropships actually would not be that much better.

Add in jumpships would almost certainly have to burn more fuel to stay near the L1 point versus z/n and I'm not seeing enough economic benefit when taking into all the other aforementioned factors pointed out in other posts.

Also need to consider what doing this would demand in terms of jumpships:dropships ratios.  If a jump ship is still having to sit there a week but the transit time is a day at most?  What do you do as a Dropship captain?  Transiting out to the z/n point may cost more fuel but it probably beats having to pay for 5 days of spaceport docking fees or your crew getting into trouble on shore leave.  Unless jumpships suddenly massively out number dropships.  Then you could arrange to hitch a ride on another ship that's closer to being charged but since we're told explicitly that dropships outnumber jumpships this is not an option.

Tai Dai Cultist

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #51 on: 06 June 2017, 20:14:38 »
I imagine that for the DropShip owner/captain, the order of business *is* hanging out at the recharge station and waiting for a passing JumpShip going in your direction to have space available for sale.  When a JumpShip arrives, some number (perhaps zero, but often more than that) of DropShips will be detaching and heading down for the planet. JumpShips will be quite eager to sell passage on their now-empty docking collar(s) for their next jump.  They'll assuredly be soliciting nearby DropShips so long as they have any empty docking collar(s).

I don't think a large percentage of docking collar traffic is prebooked, but in those cases the DropShip will be departing the planet so that their transit puts them at the scheduled jump point some 3 or 4 days after the anticipated rendesvous.  As I opined upthread, JumpShips can't feasibly be held to a rigid schedule like some train.  The rendeszous is "on or about" some day, and if you show up 3 or 4 days after that, the JumpShip "should" be there by then.  If not, you can think about hitching a ride with some other JumpShip currently recharging at the jump point.  And if your pre-booked JumpShip arrives right on time without any delays, well your prior booking "should" hold your docking collar open while you're in the last leg of your transit in approach to the jump point.   Sure, some unscrupulous JumpShip captain might take some sleazy DropShip captain's better offer than the pre-booked arrangement you have... but your being inbound and the JumpShip needing to spend time anyway to recharge should hold your docking collar agreement the vast majority of the time.  What JumpShip captain wants to deal with hearing a jilted DropShip captain badmouthing him for the remainder of the recharge period over the open radio channels?
« Last Edit: 06 June 2017, 20:16:23 by Tai Dai Cultist »

SCC

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #52 on: 07 June 2017, 06:15:06 »
Aside from the increased probability of objects obscuring the jump sail I seem to remember that you'd have to dial down the power coming through the jump sail that close in or it would lead to having to make quick charge rolls.  So the time savings for the Dropships actually would not be that much better.
It would all balance out, while the sail being obscured is slightly more likely the massive increase in incoming energy means that as long as something like 1% isn't in somethings shadow you're still good.

Add in jumpships would almost certainly have to burn more fuel to stay near the L1 point versus z/n and I'm not seeing enough economic benefit when taking into all the other aforementioned factors pointed out in other posts.
Pretty sure you can enter a short term orbit near the L1 point, meaning fuel (When done for real and not just for game reasons) would actually go down.

Also need to consider what doing this would demand in terms of jumpships:dropships ratios.  If a jump ship is still having to sit there a week but the transit time is a day at most?  What do you do as a Dropship captain?  Transiting out to the z/n point may cost more fuel but it probably beats having to pay for 5 days of spaceport docking fees or your crew getting into trouble on shore leave.  Unless jumpships suddenly massively out number dropships.  Then you could arrange to hitch a ride on another ship that's closer to being charged but since we're told explicitly that dropships outnumber jumpships this is not an option.
How quickly is your ship unloaded? And you can still sit around in orbit. And you wouldn't need more JS then DS, just increased rate of jumps from a given system

Cryhavok101

• Captain
« Reply #53 on: 07 June 2017, 07:46:52 »
How quickly is your ship unloaded?

Assuming it is being done by a 90 ton WorkMech and a heavy cargo platform, it gets moved at a rate of 7 tons per minute, or ~119 hours for 50,000 tons. Smaller dropships are likely to only take a day or two, possibly only a few hours even. I'm assuming Mammoths aren't the most common cargo dropship anyway.

Archangel

• Major
« Reply #54 on: 07 June 2017, 10:05:26 »
How quickly is your ship unloaded? And you can still sit around in orbit. And you wouldn't need more JS then DS, just increased rate of jumps from a given system

Depends upon how much of the ship's cargo is being unloaded (not all cargo DropShips deliver/pick up cargo from a single planet) and how well-trained/experienced and equipped the DropShip's crew and spaceport workers are (that is assuming there is a local spaceport and if there is one that it has workers to help load/unload DropShips).
Detect evil first, smite second and ask questions later.

Weirdo

• Painter of Borth the Magic Puma
  • Catalyst Demo Team
  • Major General
  • We can do it. We have to.
    • Christina Dickinson Writes
« Reply #55 on: 07 June 2017, 10:28:08 »
It would all balance out, while the sail being obscured is slightly more likely the massive increase in incoming energy means that as long as something like 1% isn't in somethings shadow you're still good.

Melting your drive core with that massive increase in energy does not fall under 'still good'. You'd have to dial down the power feed into your K-F drive to avoid damaging it. Probably still get a boost because the max safe rate is sill higher than what most stars give you out at the proximity limit, but you're not likely to charge all that much faster than normal.
My wife writes books
"Thanks to Megamek, I can finally play BattleTech the way it was meant to be played--pantsless!"   -Neko Bijin
"...finally, giant space panties don't seem so strange." - Whistler
"Damn you, Weirdo... Damn you for being right!" - Paul
"...I was this many years old when I found out that licking a touchscreen in excitement is a bad idea." - JadeHellbringer
"We are the tribal elders. Weirdo is the mushroom specialist." - Worktroll

monbvol

• Colonel
  • I said don't look!
« Reply #56 on: 07 June 2017, 11:56:34 »
Assuming that nothing impairs the sail the recharge time can be 175 hours without making a roll or risking damage.

That can be cut down to 150 with a +0 modifier to the roll.

Using the 7 tons/minute figure for cargo unloading and the Mule as a reasonably common cargo Dropship let's say it takes the full 24 hours for unloading and a further 24 hours to load a new cargo thanks to customs inspections, other red tape, and to call the couple of hours to get from and to the Sol-Terra L1 point accounted for since that is the only L1 point we have transit times for.

That is 102-127 hours where the Dropship is still waiting for a ride anyway.  Unless there are more Jumpships than Dropships this does mean you are not actually transporting goods that much faster.  If there are not then the economic benefit simply is not worth it as even if they can avoid docking fees I am rather certain due to the increased risks of using the L1 point a Jumpship would charge more than what it would cost in fuel to go to the proximity limit anyway.

SCC

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #57 on: 08 June 2017, 04:08:22 »
Melting your drive core with that massive increase in energy does not fall under 'still good'. You'd have to dial down the power feed into your K-F drive to avoid damaging it. Probably still get a boost because the max safe rate is sill higher than what most stars give you out at the proximity limit, but you're not likely to charge all that much faster than normal.
My point was that unless the sail is COMPLETELY obscured a JS this close to a star won't have it's charge time affected.

Assuming that nothing impairs the sail the recharge time can be 175 hours without making a roll or risking damage.

That can be cut down to 150 with a +0 modifier to the roll.

Using the 7 tons/minute figure for cargo unloading and the Mule as a reasonably common cargo Dropship let's say it takes the full 24 hours for unloading and a further 24 hours to load a new cargo thanks to customs inspections, other red tape, and to call the couple of hours to get from and to the Sol-Terra L1 point accounted for since that is the only L1 point we have transit times for.

That is 102-127 hours where the Dropship is still waiting for a ride anyway.  Unless there are more Jumpships than Dropships this does mean you are not actually transporting goods that much faster.  If there are not then the economic benefit simply is not worth it as even if they can avoid docking fees I am rather certain due to the increased risks of using the L1 point a Jumpship would charge more than what it would cost in fuel to go to the proximity limit anyway.
I'm not assuming you leave on the same JS you come in on, I figure that with the up rated numbers there would be a different one waiting for DS to transport.

monbvol

• Colonel
  • I said don't look!
« Reply #58 on: 08 June 2017, 11:50:01 »
That's the part that requires more Jumpships to exist than Dropships if you want to get below 150 hours.

Cryhavok101

• Captain
« Reply #59 on: 08 June 2017, 11:57:19 »
That's the part that requires more Jumpships to exist than Dropships if you want to get below 150 hours.

Could you explain that more? I don't understand where you are getting that from.

Register