Author Topic: (Answered) Ammo Use, Critical Hits, and internal explosions (v4.4 Errata Cutoff)  (Read 1369 times)

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Kid in the puddle eating mud of CGL contributors
    • Master Unit List
So a wild scenario unfolded this past week.

A Blitzkrieg declared that it was firing the remaining two rounds from a bin of UAC/20 ammo. In the course of fire for that turn, that ammo bin took a critical hit. The idea of a unit both firing and simultaneously being destroyed internally by the same ammunition was brain-breaking.

Is this a simple matter of timing? Expending ammo occurs as you fire, so does the order in which units fire based on initiative determine whether the Blitzkrieg either takes a meaningless critical or becomes an irreparable husk?
« Last Edit: 05 June 2017, 03:51:28 by Xotl »

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your bt experience. Now what? | Modern Sourcebook Index | FASA Sourcebook Index | Print on Demand Index
Equipment Reference Cards | DIY Pilot Cards | PaperTech Mech and Vehicle Counters

Interviewer: Since you’ve stopped making art, how do you spend your time?
Paul Chan Breathers: Oh, I’m a breather. I’m a respirateur. Isn’t that enough?

Xotl

• Dominus Erratorum
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Professor of Errata
Re: Ammo Expenditure, Critical Hits, and internal explosions
« Reply #1 on: 05 June 2017, 03:42:30 »
Remember that all attacks are declared before any are resolved, and that they are always made, even if the unit that declares them is destroyed before their turn comes to make them.  Only after all attacks are made and all attacks resolved comes actual damage application.

So, it would be:
Everyone declares their weapon attacks for the turn
Everyone resolves their weapon attacks for the turn
Everyone applies the effects of damage resolution

The confusion comes from #2, where you actually have to see what damage is done as part of resolving a weapon attack, even if you don't actually apply that damage until afterwards.  But if you remember that all declared attacks must be made, you know that those rounds of ammunition are gone, because otherwise you wouldn't be able to resolve the Blitzkrieg's attacks.  As such, the critical hit to the Blitzkrieg would resolve onto an empty ammo bin, which still absorbs the crit but causes no explosion.

Essentially, mark off all ammo usage at the time you declare attacks.  This is mentioned on p. 103 of TW, but buried a bit: it will be clearer in the final release of the BattleMech Manual.
« Last Edit: 22 June 2017, 06:27:45 by Xotl »
3028-3057 Random Assignment Tables -
Also contains faction deployment & rarity info.

http://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=1219.0

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Kid in the puddle eating mud of CGL contributors
    • Master Unit List
that clarifies things, thanks. i'm glad to see the problem was that i was just conflating rules that i thought i had known for 20 years and the rules themselves are fine.

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your bt experience. Now what? | Modern Sourcebook Index | FASA Sourcebook Index | Print on Demand Index
Equipment Reference Cards | DIY Pilot Cards | PaperTech Mech and Vehicle Counters

Interviewer: Since you’ve stopped making art, how do you spend your time?
Paul Chan Breathers: Oh, I’m a breather. I’m a respirateur. Isn’t that enough?