Author Topic: Future WOB boogiemen faction...  (Read 3671 times)

Major Headcase

• Lieutenant
  • We're paid to win. Heroism costs extra...
Future WOB boogiemen faction...
« on: 25 July 2017, 00:20:51 »
   Hello Mechwarriors! I have been working for some time on a Battletech campaign and storyline that takes place in the Deep Periphery in 3175 (roughly). The history is kept intentionally vague, just that is a cluster of 9 star systems where a large number of organized refugees settled on, fleeing from what the inner sphere had become after the Blackout and subsequent warfare. After 30+ years, the worlds have developed well, if still sparcely populated, and the average tech level is around Jihad levels, so quite good really. The 9 systems get along in a loose confederation and so far have avoided violence with each other, only having to deal with pirate raids and the occasional pushy bandit king trying to cut himself into power, so the military forces are fairly small. Contact with the Inner Sphere is sporadic and concerning, and trade with the inner worlds and Periphery is likewise uncommon.
   My idea is a 10th system had been colonized when the refugees first came here, but by a very private religious order, which promptly closed itself off from others except for very limited resource trade. Unbeknownst to the refugees leadership, the groups were survivors and devotees to the old WoB led by a cabal of surviving Manei Domini officers, hiding in plain sight as a reclusive order of monks. Now, after 30 years of isolation and preparation (thanks to thier "colony ship" which was really a Shadow Division transport and repair ship), this new Word Of Blake rise up to conquer the 9 systems to use as a power base for returning to the IS and retake Earth.

So that's the campaign setting in a nutshell. I am working on the new WOB units and tech, a mix of the cannon WoB Omnimechs and a series of new Omni's (using DZC Post Human Republic walkers for the minis and designs) and other units as well (hover tanks from Onslaught Miniatures).
   I was try ng to think of a good new type of Battle Armor when this new artwork from DZC came out. Now THIS would make cool Wobbie battle Armor!! 😁
   Anyway, I will post links to the documents as I finish them here if anyone is interested?? Back-story, new machines, world and defender force data, my new WoB splinter faction, scenarios, etc...

Easy

• Warrant Officer
Re: Future WOB boogiemen faction...
« Reply #1 on: 25 July 2017, 10:45:58 »
By all means. You know how we feel about WoB.  [blank]

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Clan Hells Horses 666th Mech. Assualt Cluster
« Reply #2 on: 25 July 2017, 20:28:09 »
May I start with a hello and welcome to the boards!

And then may I turn your attention to this thread, started by me.

http://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=57366.0

I have these made for freeplay.

Basis of your colony perhaps? The only thing I leave out is the stat block for my Omega Tau, on purpose.

Enjoy!

TT

( Sends a recon raid to Easy's base of operations...  >:D )
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse
That is, if true tanker doesn't beat me to it. He makes truly evil units.Col.Hengist on 31 May 2013
TT, we know you are the master of nasty  O0 ~ Fletch on 22 June 2013
If I'm attacking you, conventional wisom says to bring 3x your force.  I want extra insurance, so I'll bring 4 for every 1 of what you have :D ~ Tai Dai Cultist on 21 April 2016
Me: Would you rather fight my Epithymía Thanátou from the Whispers of Blake?
Nav_Alpha: That THING... that is horrid
~ Nav_Alpha on 10 October 2016

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • The Temple Grounds - My Roleplaying and History website
« Reply #3 on: 26 July 2017, 03:43:12 »
i'd use that art for a mech rather than a BA..

maybe Gauss rifles in the arms, light PPC's in the side torso's, and Null Sig for that extra bit of nastyness.

Major Headcase

• Lieutenant
  • We're paid to win. Heroism costs extra...
« Reply #4 on: 26 July 2017, 04:28:42 »
i'd use that art for a mech rather than a BA..

maybe Gauss rifles in the arms, light PPC's in the side torso's, and Null Sig for that extra bit of nastyness.

That was my second thought. It looks like a cool "future" Zeus battlemech. 😁 but I like it as BA because it comes in 10mm plastic minis I can use in Btech as BA!! 😁

Red Pins

• Major
  • Inspiration+Creativity=Insanity
« Reply #5 on: 27 July 2017, 00:00:00 »
Oh!  Lovely timing, I'm working on the same thing, from the point of view of my AU Group.  In mine, though, the Word infiltrates then gets nuked before most of them scatter.
...Visit the Legacy Cluster...
The New Clans:Volume One
Clan Devil Wasp * Clan Carnoraptor * Clan Frost Ape * Clan Surf Dragon * Clan Tundra Leopard
Work-in-progress; The Blake Threat File
Now with MORE GROGNARD!  ...I think I'm done.  I've played long enough to earn a pension, fer cryin' out loud!  IlClan and out in <REDACTED>!
TRO: 3176 Hegemony Refits - the 30-day wonder

Nav_Alpha

• Major
« Reply #6 on: 27 July 2017, 00:03:16 »
May I start with a hello and welcome to the boards!

And then may I turn your attention to this thread, started by me.

http://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=57366.0

I have these made for freeplay.

Basis of your colony perhaps? The only thing I leave out is the stat block for my Omega Tau, on purpose.

Enjoy!

TT

( Sends a recon raid to Easy's base of operations...  >:D )

God! Put that thing away! You'll scare everyone off... or put an eye out!

I like this idea though. Look forward to seeing more from the OP

"Hold your position, conserve ammo... and wait for the Dragoons to go Feral"
- last words of unknown merc, Harlech, 3067

snakespinner

• Captain
« Reply #7 on: 27 July 2017, 00:35:09 »
Why do people always tell TT to put that thing away. }:)
Good idea for the start of a campaign.
I wish I could get a good grip on reality, then I would choke it.
Growing old is inevitable,
Growing up is optional.
Watching TrueToaster create evil genius, priceless...everything else is just sub-par.

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Clan Hells Horses 666th Mech. Assualt Cluster
« Reply #8 on: 28 July 2017, 17:50:09 »
Not my problem if your main character can't keep his body parts from falling off Nav.

Why thank you snakespinner... I think?  #P

TT
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse
That is, if true tanker doesn't beat me to it. He makes truly evil units.Col.Hengist on 31 May 2013
TT, we know you are the master of nasty  O0 ~ Fletch on 22 June 2013
If I'm attacking you, conventional wisom says to bring 3x your force.  I want extra insurance, so I'll bring 4 for every 1 of what you have :D ~ Tai Dai Cultist on 21 April 2016
Me: Would you rather fight my Epithymía Thanátou from the Whispers of Blake?
Nav_Alpha: That THING... that is horrid
~ Nav_Alpha on 10 October 2016

Easy

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #9 on: 30 July 2017, 19:22:57 »

Lawn.
« Last Edit: 31 July 2017, 10:20:35 by Easy »

Easy

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #10 on: 31 July 2017, 10:16:54 »
TT: ( Sends a recon raid to Easy's base of operations...  >:D )

You won't be finding any nerfed Condors there.

Thanks for reading my campfire stories. System-X was founded in my interest in writing something that goes in a more "Traveller RPG" direction, and I discovered I had an interest in then going back through the timeline and trying to tell a story about how it came to be. So now I have this saga to tell if I want. I like it, I hope other people do, too.

What I sort of don't want to do is create an 'alternate timeline', so, going slower with a little due diligence that doesn't break the bank, taking stuff out to the Periphery (and beyond) helps with that.

The 504th Gateway Regiment has been active lately, but I'll check out your stuff.

idea weenie

• Major
« Reply #11 on: 11 September 2017, 16:16:15 »
I'd say give them a tech database, but they have to build up the industry over time.  So the might only be able to make 3025 era Mechs for now, but have the full WoB database to make CASPAR mk 4 systems.

The other fun is having lots of the drone technology in use.  Automated mining drones, automated trucks, automated bulldozers, harvesters, aso.  The colony might only have a small population, but the industry available to the population allows them to be quite productive.

They might even have some trading contacts with neighboring systems, where the WoB colony trades 2750 era gear in exchange for raw materials and food.  Perhaps they have compact core jumpships that use a Lithium-Fusion battery to jump to empty space before going home?  By rapid-jumping they can make it look like they are within 30 light-years of the trading partners, and the Li-F battery allows them to get home instead of leading others to their home.  Anyone trying to follow them measures their arrival signature, counts the number of Dropships, and gets a certain distance.  By carefully selecting the empty space, the people following them go to the wrong system.
« Last Edit: 26 September 2017, 22:50:16 by idea weenie »