Author Topic: Operation Bulldog- Port Arthur  (Read 2186 times)

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
Operation Bulldog- Port Arthur
« on: 11 September 2017, 17:40:38 »
Working to convert the old MechCommander campaign into a TT/MM format which could be fun (see http://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=58707.0) but facing the staggered waves would need another limiter on the Smoke Jaguar forces with their better technology and higher skilled pilots.

Which got down to the honor rules the Clan mechwarriors and Elementals would use to engage . . . towards the end of the campaign on Port Arthur the briefings seem to indicate the Jaguars are getting a bit desperate- if nothing else just the loss of face in a IS force stomping around.  They manage to take out one of the companies, but the PC's group manages to avoid getting smashed and is pushing to reach a critical objective that would REALLY hurt the Jaguar garrison.

At what point would the Jaguar garrison commander suspend the duel/honor rules to end the Inner Sphere barbarians on their planet?  Would the response of the training/garrison/secondline/frontline forces be different in regards to the honor rules?
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

JadeHellbringer

• Easily Bribed Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Colonel
  • Third time this week!
Re: Operation Bulldog- Port Arthur
« Reply #1 on: 12 September 2017, 07:55:06 »
The second part is what gives me pause. On the one hand, those units consist of bondsmen and such, and 'honor' is a concept they might happily throw to the wind if they don't think it's worth dying over. On the other hand, cadets looking to impress their COs might still insist on holding to zellbrigen rather than defile themselves with horde tactics (and thus prove themselves unClanlike). I could see this going either way, with differing opinions even within a Star depending on the warrior. (This can be tracked by keeping either a small list of which Mechs have which kind of pilot, or by making a subtle mark on a record sheet to show zell-oriented vs. not)

As for when the high-ranking officers start throwing zell aside, that's a little less ambiguous- when you want that CO to do so. There's something to be said for keeping them on-track early on, and even late in a campaign they may not BREAK their rules and go nuts- but there's something to be said for 'creative' looks at the situation by the Galaxy Commander. After all, zell is reserved for honorable opponents, right? It's a PRIVILEGE to be offered zellbrigen! And these Inner Sphere dogs have proven that they don't deserve that honor, right? With their being all... you know, freeborn and stuff! Screw those guys, no more zell! See, now it's THEIR fault that you're throwing honorable combat out the window. When a Jaguar commander reaches that point is up to you, but I'd try to save it for at least halfway, if not 2/3rds into the campaign.
"There's a difference between the soldier and his fight,
But the warrior knows the true meaning of his life."
+Larry and his Flask, 'Blood Drunk'+

"You know, basically war is just, like, a bunch of people playing pranks on each other, but at the end they all die."
+Crow T. Robot+

Robroy

• Lieutenant
  • Not named, but not gone. Maybe.
« Reply #2 on: 12 September 2017, 07:58:19 »
I think it would depend on the PCs actions, are they behaving honorably or not. Also how does the Jag commander view the PCs, are they worthy of honor, or does he see them as little more than pirates?

Warfare is the greatest affair of state, the basis of life and death, the Way (Tao) to survival or extinction. It must be thoroughly pondered and analyzed"-Sun Tzu

"Subjugating the enemy's army without fighting is the true pinnacle of excellence"-Sun Tzu

Crimson Dynamo

• Lieutenant
  • Opening hearts, minds, and throats since 2807
« Reply #3 on: 28 September 2017, 23:10:48 »
One of my favorite lines in all of BattleTech came from one of the campaign briefing vids later in the game. It went something like "Now the bad news: You've made quite an impression. The Jaguars have mobilized fresh companies of heavy and assault-class 'Mechs in your honor and more elite pilots. I hope you're ready."

I would interpret that as initially, you (the IS force) are nothing more than bandits come to skulk in the Clan's rightful conquests. After the "lesser" forces have their try to be rid of the raiders, failing spectacularly in some objective, the front-line forces would take note of worthy opposition and come looking for a measure of glory. For a campaign, I might be tempted with very loose if any interpretation of zell initially, but as the PC force achieves objectives and strengthens, throw some higher-level opponents at them with stricter zell to compensate for the tech/skill deficits that should probably exist. As the campaign draws to a close, you could swing back to loose/no zell as the Smoke Jaguars try to escape the planet.
"Well, I do, Marcus, and rule number one of the MAC has always been that the man with the plan leads. If we get shot up, I'm the first one to get my ticket punched. There are no flags in the MAC."
"And there never will be," Barton said, nodding his head in agreement.

"You guys are facing a freaking Shadow Division! These guys have strict policies against playing fair!"

"I don’t care. Kill them. I planned the defense so I know it will work. If they claim otherwise, they’re cowards. Any step back is a betrayal of me, and saying they don’t have enough men is just an excuse for incompetence and disloyalty. Tell the Krypteia to do it if you’re too soft but get it done." -Emperor Stefan Ukris Amaris I