Author Topic: Rasalhague/Republic Freemen - how would you do it?  (Read 1747 times)

Nav_Alpha

• Major
Rasalhague/Republic Freemen - how would you do it?
« on: 12 October 2017, 02:12:54 »
For some time now I’ve been interested in the Rasalhague Freemen - a former Rasalhague unit that eventually becomes the Republic Freemen And is absorbed by the RAF as elite recon troops.
Their background is; two reinforced companies of Rasalhague troops who are given the blessing by the Ghost Bear masters to defect to Devlin Stone in late 3076.
They’re all spheroid troops who failed their trial of position or who could otherwise not get on with the bears.

So, how would you arm and equip them? We know they are raised and deployed in 3076, we know they’re probably equipped with ex FRR equipment - maybe Clan cast offs? - and we know they’re geared toward recon and fast moving work.

How would you do it? Two reinforced companies to play with - i would love to see combined arms and down right off the wall suggestions.

"Hold your position, conserve ammo... and wait for the Dragoons to go Feral"
- last words of unknown merc, Harlech, 3067

Tyler Jorgensson

• Captain
Re: Rasalhague/Republic Freemen - how would you do it?
« Reply #1 on: 12 October 2017, 03:37:28 »
Ironically enough I have the end result the Spec Ops unit returning to the Dominion after the Blackout. In the 3145 setting I have them at I have two Nova Binaries. All of the Mechs are Medium or Light, all of the Vehicles are fast moving Hovers, and my BA are mostly Elementals with some Rogue Bear because I'm a fan. Most of their tech is Republic and Clan with a two salvaged mechs: A Wulfen for the Star Captain and a Wolfhound (specifically a Lyran machine). Basically jump in fast, drop off the BA, and tear up the place with hit and fade strikes before anyone knows their there.

NOW on to your question now that I've rambled.

I would imagine it the same way. These two combined arms companies would be ex-Rasalhague troops but they would still have the flavor. The typical mix of their tech would eventually be replaced by Republic tech, but in the mean time it would be ex-ComStar, Clan second line, maybe a front line mech for the leaders, definitely a hachet armed mech or two with speed, and a random Panther.

The vehicles would be all fast movers: not a Lyran force. Helicopters and Hovers would be predominant but I wouldn't put it past having a couple of fast tanks in there too.

However seeing as this would be a Spec Ops unit I would quickly integrate BA into the force as it would more than benefit the unit. Recon suits and stealth suits would work, but a Point or two of heavier suits would help.

Finally transport in a combined arms ship will be tough unless you have a custom DS. I would recommend a couple of Medium fighters for air support just in case you need a quick firebreak or distraction but that's optional.

Now that I've rambled twice : definitely want to see the end result in Non-Canon Units. I'll be posting mine and link it in for kicks.

Nav_Alpha

• Major
« Reply #2 on: 12 October 2017, 03:44:33 »
Would love to see it!

I hadn’t thought about VTOLS - but you have a good point.

My initial ideas was “two reinforced companies is code for two supernovas”.
 Ie: Light Mech stars supported by BA and maybe some jump infantry.
I like Kobolds for this.

But what about Mechs - especially Clan Mechs? What are the Bears likely to let go to what is essentially Bandit Caste washouts?

Tyler Jorgensson

• Captain
« Reply #3 on: 12 October 2017, 04:00:39 »
Transition 3067-3120 era is not one I like to visit personally. However pulling out my FM3085...

Panther, Wolfhound, Bear Cub, Pack Hunter, Commando, Firestarter, a looted Scarabus would thrill some ex-Rasalhague pilot, Spider, maybe a Mongoose, Jenner, Solitaire, maybe a Fire Moth could be given 'somehow'.

Wolf Trap, Phoenix Hawk, maybe a Shadow Hawk as a command machine, Hachetman for sure , a Nightsky if you really want to go fancy loot, Ursus, Clint, Clint IIc, Beowulf,  Great Wyrm (?), and a Stealth and Wraith would fit but even I wouldn't hesitate to stretch the credulity of those being included.

And just because they were Clan washouts does not make them have terrible machines. Arguably they could still manage to acquire their old top of the line IS machines.

Nav_Alpha

• Major
« Reply #4 on: 12 October 2017, 04:36:13 »
What about some more SL machines the Bears donate to second line troops or Rassies?
So: Mercury, Thorn, Mongoose?

roosterboy

• Site Maintenance
  • Major
  • J'accuse!
« Reply #5 on: 12 October 2017, 10:09:00 »
It's a shame that BattleCorp is kaput, because I had worked up a series of Unit Digests tracing the evolution of the Rasalhague Freemen > Republic Freemen > Republic Special Scouts > [that's for me to know and you to find out!]

Of course, apparently the Unit Digests weren't very popular, so who knows if they would have been published even if BC was still around.

Jaim Magnus

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Assisting you and your enemies equally.
« Reply #6 on: 12 October 2017, 13:55:19 »
I always liked the unit digests. That's a shame.
BattleCorps - Righteous Fury, Sorrow of Eden, Lady of Steel, I Was Lost, Forsaken : Legacy - The Forgotten Places : Shrapnel - Scavenger's Blood : ELH Chronicles - View from the Ground : Shrapnel - It Ends in Fire, Picking the Bones

Nav_Alpha

• Major
« Reply #7 on: 12 October 2017, 16:34:29 »
It's a shame that BattleCorp is kaput, because I had worked up a series of Unit Digests tracing the evolution of the Rasalhague Freemen > Republic Freemen > Republic Special Scouts > [that's for me to know and you to find out!]

Of course, apparently the Unit Digests weren't very popular, so who knows if they would have been published even if BC was still around.

And Roosterboy just drop this cluster bomb on the target zone!

So they become the Special Scouts who get a very brief mention in Wars of the Republic book from memory?
Interesting.
I really liked the Unit Digest and managed to snap up about half before my BC subscription finished and then the site vanished.
Now i read the outlines of the remaining digests on Sarna and howl madly...

I’m going to whip up a proposed TO&E for a 3076-77 Freemen soon

JadedFalcon

• Lieutenant
  • Wins at Battleteching
« Reply #8 on: 13 October 2017, 01:15:15 »

Never knew Unit Digests had existed until now.