Author Topic: (Answered) Advanced Building Construction Questions  (Read 1467 times)

NeonKnight

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Cause Them My Initials!
(Answered) Advanced Building Construction Questions
« on: 12 October 2017, 16:33:32 »
So, a couple of questions on these rules.

1: Turrets

There does not appear to be anywhere in the construction rules I can see where it talks about turrets for GUN EMPLACEMENTS except in the example:

Kenyon decides that all four weapons will be placed in a turret, to maximize the emplacement’s flexibility in battle. As the lasers weight 4 tons each and the LRMs weigh 6 tons each, and all heat sinks, power amplifiers and ammunition are not counted, this yields a turret weight of 2 tons ([(2 x 4 tons for lasers) + (2 x 6 tons for missile launchers) = 20 tons] ÷ 10 = 2).
[/i]

OK, so where are the rules? Is this weight rounded?

2:  Power Amplifiers

The rules state:

Power Amplifiers: Any building drawing power indirectly or through a non-fusion or non-fission generator must add power amplifiers for any and all Heavy- or Capital-class energy weapons mounted on the unit. The weight of such amplifiers is equal to 10 percent of the weight of all such weapons mounted in the hex (rounded up to the nearest .1 tons). Power amplifiers do not count toward the weight of any weapons slaved to a targeting computer, nor do they count toward the weight of any turret or pintle mechanisms mounted on the building, but their weight must be assigned to the hex locations where their related weapons are mounted.

Fair enough, except in the Example:

Kenyon decides that the primary weapons for his emplacement will be a pair of Clan ER Large Lasers (which weigh 4 tons each). Because these are energy weapons that generate 12 points of heat each, Kenyon must also spend 24 tons on heat sinks. Furthermore, because the building is drawing power indirectly, he will also need to install 0.8 tons of power amplifiers (8 tons of heavy energy weapons x 0.1 = 0.8 tons). With 32.8 tons spent on these weapons, Kenyon decides to back up the lasers with a pair of Artemis IV-enhanced LRM-20s (6 tons each; 12 tons total), and adds 5 tons of ammo per launcher (for a total of 10 tons of ammo). Because they are missile weapons, heat sinks and power amplifiers are not required. [/b]Thus, the final weight for all weapons, ammunition, heat sinks and power amplifiers comes to 54.8 tons.

So, this then leads to the question, which weapon systems are power amplifiers required for? Is it energy weapons? What about ballistic weapons?

And finally, Heat Sinks. Are Heat Sinks required for all weapons except Missile, or are Heat sinks only required for Energy Weapons?
« Last Edit: 02 November 2017, 15:05:14 by Xotl »
AGENT #575, Vancouver Canada

NeonKnight

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
Re: (Research) Advanced Building Construction Questions
« Reply #1 on: 13 October 2017, 11:56:56 »
Just some more info on trying to make sense of Building rules that appear to be missing, or maybe just 'assumed'

Page 104 of TECH MANUAL states the following for HEAT SINKS as it pertains to Vehicles:

Step 3:
Add Heat Sinks

Because they handle heat differently than BattleMechs, only Combat Vehicles that use energy weapons require the installation of heat sinks to vent the waste heat such weapons generate. If a Combat Vehicle mounts no energy weapons, it requires no heat sinks. The number of heat sinks required by a vehicle equals the total amount of heat generated by firing all of its energy weapons simultaneously.

So, I's assuming (?) the same rule applies for Buildings/Weapon emplacements.

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Colonel
  • 504th "Gateway" Division
    • There are Monsters in my Sky!
« Reply #2 on: 13 October 2017, 14:16:41 »
The addition of (Research) means we're looking into this behind the scenes. Thanks for the update.

W.
* No, FASA wasn't big on errata - ColBosch
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* To sum it up: FASAnomics: By Cthulhu, for Cthulhu - Moonsword
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

NeonKnight

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
« Reply #3 on: 13 October 2017, 15:33:12 »
The addition of (Research) means we're looking into this behind the scenes. Thanks for the update.

W.

I know....I just wanted to provide some additional rational rules I had found.

Xotl

• Dominus Erratorum
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Professor of Errata
« Reply #4 on: 02 November 2017, 15:04:37 »
Thanks to worktroll for doing all the work on this one:

1) See TO p131:
""Advanced buildings may install weapons, heat sinks and
other equipment in accordance with the rules for mounting
weapons and equipment on Mobile Structures (see p. 266),
but with a few modifications as outlined below."

This and subsequent pages address issues involving turrets, power amplifiers, heat sinks, etc - subject to the modifications noted. Summary - unless otherwise stated in TO beginning on p131 or p266, assume buildings default to vehicle rules for these things.

2) The key here is "for any and all Heavy- or Capital-class energy weapons mounted on the" <building>
Heavy and Capital weapons are defined in TO (and many other places) - for an approximation, Heavy are 'mech-grade, Capital are WarShip-grade. So - unless powered by fusion or fission style plants - power amps are required for PPCs, Lasers, Naval PPCs and Lasers, but not for NAC, autocannon, or missiles.

3) See above - TO p131+ and p266+ provide the relevant answer.
3028-3057 Random Assignment Tables -
Also contains faction deployment & rarity info.

http://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=1219.0

NeonKnight

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
Re: (Answered) Advanced Building Construction Questions
« Reply #5 on: 02 November 2017, 17:11:45 »
Thanx!

new the answer must be somewhere I just was not seeing.

Register