Author Topic: Mauler MAL-5R  (Read 980 times)

casperionx

• Master Sergeant
Mauler MAL-5R
« on: 13 October 2017, 05:02:42 »
The venerable mauler hasnt seen much of an upgrade in the past half a century since it was deployed by the DCMS.

However, building on a new endo steel chassis, the MAL-5R developed by the republic is a nasty city fighter and can handle itself at range too.

Packing dual RAC-2's and LRM 15s each fed with 1 and 2 tons of CASE II protected ammo bins respectively for each side of the torso, it is more than capable of staying in the fight.

Backing that up, is 2 pairs of medium pulse lasers in the arms. 12 double heat sinks try to keep the mech cool, but if a pilot alphastrikes they will most likely suffer some ill effects.

Code: [Select]
Mauler MAL-5R

Mass: 90 tons
Tech Base: Inner Sphere
Chassis Config: Biped
Rules Level: Experimental Tech
Era: Clan Invasion
Tech Rating/Era Availability: E/X-X-F-A
Production Year: 3070
Cost: 9,302,400 C-Bills
Battle Value: 1,958

Chassis: Unknown Endo-Steel
Power Plant: Unknown 270 Fusion Engine
Walking Speed: 32.4 km/h
Maximum Speed: 54.0 km/h
Jump Jets: None
    Jump Capacity: 0 meters
Armor: Unknown Standard Armor
Armament:
    2  LRM-15s
    2  Rotary AC/2s
    4  Medium Pulse Lasers
Manufacturer: Unknown
    Primary Factory: Unknown
Communications System: Unknown
Targeting and Tracking System: Unknown

================================================================================
Equipment           Type                         Rating                   Mass 
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Internal Structure: Endo-Steel                   138 points                4.50
    Internal Locations: 1 HD, 2 CT, 2 LT, 2 RT, 2 LA, 2 RA, 1 LL, 2 RL
Engine:             Fusion Engine                270                      14.50
    Walking MP: 3
    Running MP: 5
    Jumping MP: 0
Heat Sinks:         Double Heat Sink             12(24)                    2.00
    Heat Sink Locations: 1 LA, 1 RA
Gyro:               Standard                                               3.00
Cockpit:            Standard                                               3.00
    Actuators:      L: SH+UA+LA    R: SH+UA+LA
Armor:              Standard Armor               AV - 272                 17.00
    CASE II Locations: 1 LT, 1 RT                                          2.00

Internal       Armor     
                                                      Structure      Factor     
                                                Head     3            9         
                                        Center Torso     29           40       
                                 Center Torso (rear)                  15       
                                           L/R Torso     19           28       
                                    L/R Torso (rear)                  10       
                                             L/R Arm     15           30       
                                             L/R Leg     19           36       

================================================================================
Equipment                                 Location    Heat    Critical    Mass 
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2 Medium Pulse Lasers                        RA        8         2         4.00
2 Medium Pulse Lasers                        LA        8         2         4.00
Rotary AC/2                                  RT        1         3         8.00
LRM-15                                       RT        5         3         7.00
Rotary AC/2                                  LT        1         3         8.00
LRM-15                                       LT        5         3         7.00
@Rotary AC/2 (45)                            RT        -         1         1.00
@LRM-15 (16)                                 RT        -         2         2.00
@Rotary AC/2 (45)                            LT        -         1         1.00
@LRM-15 (16)                                 LT        -         2         2.00
                                            Free Critical Slots: 5

BattleForce Statistics
MV      S (+0)  M (+2)  L (+4)  E (+6)   Wt.   Ov   Armor:      9    Points: 20
3          4       5       3       0      4     1   Structure:  7
Special Abilities: CASEII, SRCH, ES, SEAL, SOA, LRM 1/1/1, IF 1

Col Toda

• Captain
Re: Mauler MAL-5R
« Reply #1 on: 27 October 2017, 09:41:11 »
Not a fan of RACs . 9 Turns continuous fire at 5 rounds/ turn . With this mech I would prefer 4 Light AC/2 s for the same weight with 11 rounds of continuous fire using precision rounds . Light AC has no minimum range . With precision ammo you are 2/3 more likely to hit at all ranges . So if figure you hit once with the RAC every other turn for an average of 3 , 2 point hits doing likely about 24 points of damage over 9 turns . While the light AC rate a probable 24 points over the same time and has 2 more turns of ammo with weapons with no minimum range . If the enemy goes to knife fighting range despite the Med pulse lasers . The 3070 year is after 3068 Light AC date . This is fine for 3067 and before .  Play Test my suggestion and tell me if my numbers look right to you . Light ACs also do not have a 50/50 chance of one or more of the guns jamming during those 9 rounds of v
« Last Edit: 27 October 2017, 09:49:59 by Col Toda »

mbear

• Stood Far Back When The Gravitas Was Handed Out
  • Major
    • Tower of Jade
« Reply #2 on: 07 November 2017, 12:21:01 »
Do the RACs have better range than the LACs?
Be the Loremaster:

Battletech transport rules take a very feline approach to moving troops in a combat zone: If they fits, they ships.

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your BT experience. Now what? (Thanks Sartis!)

Alsadius

• Lieutenant
« Reply #3 on: 07 November 2017, 14:13:51 »
An IS RAC/2 has the same range bracket(0/6/12/18) as a LAC/2.

mbear

• Stood Far Back When The Gravitas Was Handed Out
  • Major
    • Tower of Jade
« Reply #4 on: 08 November 2017, 12:48:40 »
Not a fan of RACs . 9 Turns continuous fire at 5 rounds/ turn . With this mech I would prefer 4 Light AC/2 s for the same weight with 11 rounds of continuous fire using precision rounds . Light AC has no minimum range . With precision ammo you are 2/3 more likely to hit at all ranges . So if figure you hit once with the RAC every other turn for an average of 3 , 2 point hits doing likely about 24 points of damage over 9 turns . While the light AC rate a probable 24 points over the same time and has 2 more turns of ammo with weapons with no minimum range . If the enemy goes to knife fighting range despite the Med pulse lasers . The 3070 year is after 3068 Light AC date . This is fine for 3067 and before .  Play Test my suggestion and tell me if my numbers look right to you . Light ACs also do not have a 50/50 chance of one or more of the guns jamming during those 9 rounds of v

in one turn the RAC/2s will fire 12 two point hits (at max speed). Four LAC/2s will provide 4 two point hits (assuming standard ammo).

Col Toda makes a good point about precision ammo being more useful and countering some of the shortcomings of the autocannon's light damage. I do think the jamming issue is a little overblown, because unlike the Ultra ACs, the RACs can clear jams in the End Phase so your RAC is out of operation for a round or two instead of the game.

So I guess if you need high volumes of fire for critseeking or AAA or anti-vehicle work, the RACs are a good choice. If you need ammo flexibility, the LACs are clearly a better choice. But either way, you've got a decent design here.
Be the Loremaster:

Battletech transport rules take a very feline approach to moving troops in a combat zone: If they fits, they ships.

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your BT experience. Now what? (Thanks Sartis!)

Col Toda

• Captain
« Reply #5 on: 08 November 2017, 13:21:53 »
Outside of Aerospace fights I have never seen a RAC shoot more than 5 rounds a shot as the Jam number goes from 3  to jam at 5 shots to 4 to jam at 6 shots also decreases the continuous fire to 7 1/2 shots per ton per RAC / 2 . That is out of Ammo halfway through the combat . I stated 5 rounds a turn each as a realistic usage of ammo . My original postion stands . Even switching to LACs  w Precision ammo the endurance is low .Switching one arms med pulse lasers with ER med lasers would double the ammo to enough. Class