Author Topic: Printing Maps from Digital Files  (Read 1265 times)

Suups

• Recruit
Printing Maps from Digital Files
« on: 21 October 2017, 01:13:59 »
I am planning to have some maps printed from the Catalyst map packs and wanted to ask about others' experiences doing the same thing.

In particular, I am wondering what kind of material/backing (if any) people used or preferred.  Is glossy poster paper sufficient durable in people's experience, or is something a little tougher recommended?

Hythos

• The Embiggened Man
  • Catalyst Demo Team
  • Warrant Officer
Re: Printing Maps from Digital Files
« Reply #1 on: 21 October 2017, 11:08:11 »
Sup Suups -
I've used standard 8-1/2 x 11 high-quality semi-gloss, 32lb (not sure if I'm able to actually cite the exact product?), though specifically, paper meant for color copies.
The old FASA paper maps were made with something around 32lb or slightly more. While I prefer the feel of the FASA cardboard or new Catalyst (game-board style) maps, by printing on the 8-1/2x11" sheets, this size can be over-lapped in many ways to allow for many different configurations than can be done with the larger sizes.

I've thought of using a laminating machine so wet/dry erase pens could be used directly on the maps, but I've not gone down that direction, yet.
Agent 722
Salt Lake City / Utah
Have 'Mech, will travel.

IronSphinx

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant
  • Robots!!!
    • PlayBattletech
« Reply #2 on: 21 October 2017, 12:13:28 »
If you're going to laminate your maps, I recommend doing it yourself by hand. Last time I used Fed Ex Office, the *ahem* "person" working there fed my maps into the machine too fast AND he didn't check to see if the laminator was heated up properly. Basically, he ruined two maps. >:(
Charles "IronSphinx" Wilson (CDT #66)
=======================
Want to find a Battletech game in Michigan?
Go to www.playbattletech.org.

Suups

• Recruit
« Reply #3 on: 23 October 2017, 11:45:36 »
Thanks for the advice guys!  There's a sale going on at my local office supply place for poster printings so I figured I would give that a shot, try it cheap on semi-gloss colour paper and make more if it works out well.

IronSphinx - did they refund you the cost of the maps?  That's pretty bad.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #4 on: 23 October 2017, 18:24:05 »
You might want to look up MapMaster here on the forum... he makes some absolutely gorgeous stuff (that I might even be able to afford some day).

Valkerie

• Captain
  • Gravity always wins.
« Reply #5 on: 23 October 2017, 18:56:21 »
If you want something a little stiffer, try 60lb cardstock.  Doesn't like to curl like some of the lighter weight stuff does.  You can play as is or laminate them as well.
There is no avoiding war; it can only be postponed to the advantage of others.   -Machiavelli

Greetings, Mechwarrior!  You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the frontier against...Oops, wrong universe.  -unknown SLDF Recruiter

Because overkill is underrated my friend.  -John "Hannibal" Smith

Unit/Scheme of the Month Master Index

pensiveswetness

• Lieutenant
  • Delete this account, please?
« Reply #6 on: 28 October 2017, 22:57:43 »
My suggestion has little to do with printing as I have used Heavy Metal Maps for custom maps or maps that I don't possess and as time ticks by, is largely impossible to acquire anymore (I'm looking at you both, Map Set Compilation 1 and Map Set 7). I do use large plastic sheets from Office Max (the type used on desks to cover papers and materials to glance at, as you work). Each one is large enough to cover a map with overlap. It's useful to be able to use markers to add to the field (mines, fire, CF damage, etc.)...

phoenixalpha

• Warrant Officer
  • For God, Prince Davion & the Federated Suns
« Reply #7 on: 29 October 2017, 09:09:55 »
If you are looking for something with a bit more durability paper isn't your friend - even heavy gloss isn't going to do the business. Your best bet is looking for a polymer or plastic based solution (and it doesn't need lamination). Something like a 510 micron pvc is a heavy plastic that you'd see in banner signs, or if you feel like something a bit more... substantial. A solvent printed blue black polymer which is mounted on corex or foamex will do you forever. You'll never fold them up however and they will stay flat.

Register