Author Topic: Battlemech Manual  (Read 6071 times)

blackjack

• When you're a professional pirate ...
  • Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant
Battlemech Manual
« on: 22 October 2017, 18:03:47 »
So I can admit I had become disillusioned with the extent & complexity of diving from book to book for classic battletech So I started playing alpha strike for a while. Then stopped playing for a while. Kind of looking to rekindle the fire. I am pretty much a straight up mech battle guy. I saw the battletech manual online & want to know some opinions. Easy to use etc?   
« Last Edit: 05 November 2017, 20:50:37 by blackjack »

SteelRaven

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Fight for something or Die for nothing
    • The Steel-Raven at DeviantArt
Re: Battletech Manual
« Reply #1 on: 22 October 2017, 18:16:15 »
I picked up a copy after our groups GM/collector of rule books moved out of state, most of my questions are answered shortly after flipping through the table of contents.     
Battletech Art and Commissions
http://steel-raven.deviantart.com

NeonKnight

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Cause Them My Initials!
« Reply #2 on: 22 October 2017, 18:32:27 »
Is this out in Print yet? I cannot seem to find one anywhere :(
AGENT #575, Vancouver Canada

Gallowglacht

• Corporal
« Reply #3 on: 22 October 2017, 18:38:51 »

If you are UK/EU based
https://www.gameslore.co.uk/acatalog/PR_Classic_Battletech_RPG_Battlemech_Manual.html
https://leisuregames.com/products/battletech-battlemech-manual
https://www.spiritgames.co.uk/single.php?menu=3&sub=6&game=13805

And if you are US, I was going to suggest Catalyst Game Labs store, but I only see the pdf there. Weird. Although I find it hard to find stuff on that site.
« Last Edit: 22 October 2017, 18:41:18 by Gallowglacht »

SteelRaven

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Fight for something or Die for nothing
    • The Steel-Raven at DeviantArt
« Reply #4 on: 22 October 2017, 18:39:43 »
I bought the PDF (it's still on sale! ) and had it printed and bound at a print shop.
Battletech Art and Commissions
http://steel-raven.deviantart.com

Ruger

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
« Reply #5 on: 22 October 2017, 19:37:18 »

Mine just came into my FLGS a couple weeks ago or so, along with TRO: Succession Wars...

Ruger
"If someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back." - Malcolm Reynolds, Firefly

"Who I am is where I stand. Where I stand is where I fall...Stand with me." - The Doctor, The Doctor Falls, Doctor Who

Tyler Jorgensson

• Captain
« Reply #6 on: 22 October 2017, 21:23:09 »
Very useful to just give PDF's to all the players and have a physical copy lying at home: Answers a lot of questions across all time periods.  As soon as I remembered I bought it and actually flipped thru it I thought it was a gold mine for newbies.

mbear

• Stood Far Back When The Gravitas Was Handed Out
  • Major
    • Tower of Jade
« Reply #7 on: 23 October 2017, 08:21:30 »
So I can admit I had become disillusioned with the extent & complexity of diving from book to book for classic battletech So I started playing alpha strike for a while. Then stopped playing for a while. Kind of looking to rekindle the fire. I am pretty much a straight up mech battle guy. I saw the battletech manual online & want to know some opinions. Easy to use etc?   

Pedantic Point of Order: It's the BattleMech Manual, not the BattleTech Manual, or BattleMech Manuel.

That said, it's pretty cool. Has all the 'Mech related rules, organized in a nice way.
Be the Loremaster:

Battletech transport rules take a very feline approach to moving troops in a combat zone: If they fits, they ships.

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your BT experience. Now what? (Thanks Sartis!)

RoundTop

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant
  • In Takashi We Trust
« Reply #8 on: 23 October 2017, 10:46:04 »
The end section of "commonly misunderstood rules" is great.  I've seen most of those before (and had to correct people at conventions on some of those points).
No-Dachi has a counter-argument. Nothing further? Ok.
Demo team agent #772

blackjack

• When you're a professional pirate ...
  • Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #9 on: 23 October 2017, 21:34:27 »
Thanks for the reply's! I will pick it up.

Empyrus

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #10 on: 23 October 2017, 22:07:55 »
Hardcover, not too big though. Good layout, looks nice. Better rules wording is great. Optional rules are good, has fun stuff like "support powers" as i like to call them (eg single use artillery or such). Including tech up to 3150 is lovely. Weapon descriptions are hilarious.
It is 'Mechs only but since focus of BT is in those...

snrdg091012

• Sergeant
« Reply #11 on: 24 October 2017, 01:06:09 »
Hello all,

Pedantic Point of Order: It's the BattleMech Manual, not the BattleTech Manual, or BattleMech Manuel.

That said, it's pretty cool. Has all the 'Mech related rules, organized in a nice way.

BT TechManual PDF CAT 35002 2007-2013 The Topps Company, Inc. Corrected Third Printing Published by Catalyst Game Lab covers construction rules for BattleMechs, IndustrialMechs, ProtoMechs, Combat Vehicles, Support Vehicles, Conventional Infantry Platoons, Battle Armor, and Aerospace unit (Conventional Fighter, Aerospace Fighter, Small Craft, and DropShips.

BT: BattleMech Manual PDF E-CAT35010 2017 The Topps Company, Inc. Printed in USA Published by Catalyst Game Labs covers, as mbear indicates, the rules just BattleMech and as far as I can tell no construction rules. Then again I probably have not found them yet.
Tom R (aka snrdg091012)

Bosefius

• Will Moderate for Hugs
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #12 on: 24 October 2017, 01:42:29 »

If you're U.S. based your local store can order it or, if you prefer, many different online sellers have it in stock.

Otherwise,  I'm not sure.
Catalyst Demo Agent #221, Huntington, WV

It's times like this I ask myself "What would Jabba the Hutt do?"

Bosefius

• Will Moderate for Hugs
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #13 on: 24 October 2017, 01:44:11 »
Hello all,

BT TechManual PDF CAT 35002 2007-2013 The Topps Company, Inc. Corrected Third Printing Published by Catalyst Game Lab covers construction rules for BattleMechs, IndustrialMechs, ProtoMechs, Combat Vehicles, Support Vehicles, Conventional Infantry Platoons, Battle Armor, and Aerospace unit (Conventional Fighter, Aerospace Fighter, Small Craft, and DropShips.

BT: BattleMech Manual PDF E-CAT35010 2017 The Topps Company, Inc. Printed in USA Published by Catalyst Game Labs covers, as mbear indicates, the rules just BattleMech and as far as I can tell no construction rules. Then again I probably have not found them yet.

What are you referring to exactly? This discussion is the brand new Battlemech Manual, not the Tech Manual.

Tymers Realm

• Lieutenant
« Reply #14 on: 24 October 2017, 08:15:35 »
Hello all,

There are no specific construction rules in the BMM.
What the BMM does have is a rather good listing of Dark Ages Era, I believe, available weapons and tech, as well as more complete listing of Design Quirks. You would need the TechManual for proper Mech Construction rules.

snrdg091012

• Sergeant
« Reply #15 on: 24 October 2017, 08:35:50 »
Hello Bosedius and Tymers Realm,

What are you referring to exactly? This discussion is the brand new Battlemech Manual, not the Tech Manual.

My apologies for not understanding that the topic is for the BT: BattleMech Manual and not the BT TechManual and thank you Bosefius for setting me straight.

Thank you Tymers Realm for letting me know that I did not miss any construction rules in the BT: BattleMech Manual and providing the abbreviation of BMM.
Tom R (aka snrdg091012)

carl_s_Z

• Private
« Reply #16 on: 24 October 2017, 12:27:29 »
I had an impossible time trying to find a physical version of this book too and everything I hear is not to order anything from Catalyst directly.  I am in Canada so that makes additional challenges but I found that http://paizo.com/ was able to ship me one. 

NeonKnight

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
« Reply #17 on: 24 October 2017, 19:42:49 »
I had an impossible time trying to find a physical version of this book too and everything I hear is not to order anything from Catalyst directly.  I am in Canada so that makes additional challenges but I found that http://paizo.com/ was able to ship me one.

I checked...not keen on $25 US for book, $25 US for shipping, = $50 total cost = $65 Canadian (roughly)

Just very, very hard to even find out if it's been printed yet, or if the few online offers are people selling the GenCon prereleases.

snrdg091012

• Sergeant
« Reply #18 on: 24 October 2017, 23:15:57 »
Hello NeonKnight from WA,

I checked...not keen on $25 US for book, $25 US for shipping, = $50 total cost = $65 Canadian (roughly)

Just very, very hard to even find out if it's been printed yet, or if the few online offers are people selling the GenCon prereleases.

I've found it hard to get physical copies of the books and I live in the same state as Catalyst Game Labs.

My collection consists of two hard cover books the first one purchased was Strategic Operations that had been sitting on my local game store's shelf. The next purchase was the TechManual ordered through the same store, that took the owner about a week to get. Slapping my forehead, I also had the game store order the Introductory Box Set.

After checking out the errata available here I went over DriveThruRPG.com where I purchased TW, TM, TO, AToW, SO, IO, and BMM, plus most of the free material. The electronic copies are easier to insert the errata and frequently easier to find specific material in . Another plus is that the electronic copies are slightly cheaper.

I've toyed with the idea of getting them printed out but have not made the effort to do it.
« Last Edit: 25 October 2017, 14:13:29 by snrdg091012 »
Tom R (aka snrdg091012)

Konrath

• Corporal
« Reply #19 on: 01 November 2017, 15:24:22 »
I dont think any Store in Canada has it yet or its even listed. Wonder whats taking so long. It's not even on the CGL store, though I dont expect much from that.

NeonKnight

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
« Reply #20 on: 01 November 2017, 16:15:52 »
Mine came into my FLGS last week. Vancouver Canada here.

Lorcan Nagle

• 75 tons of heavy metal mayhem
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • We're back, baby!
« Reply #21 on: 01 November 2017, 16:51:56 »
I asked my LGS to see if they can get it from Esvedium last week.  Will let you know if I have any luck
The moderator formerly known as the user formerly known as nenechan

snrdg091012

• Sergeant
« Reply #22 on: 01 November 2017, 17:14:56 »
Howdy from WA Lorcan Nagle,

I asked my LGS to see if they can get it from Esvedium last week.  Will let you know if I have any luck

I'm pulling for you to get the book.
Tom R (aka snrdg091012)

Bosefius

• Will Moderate for Hugs
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #23 on: 01 November 2017, 22:55:39 »
Hello NeonKnight from WA,

I've found it hard to get physical copies of the books and I live in the same state as Catalyst Game Labs.

My collection consists of two hard cover books the first one purchased was Strategic Operations that had been sitting on my local game store's shelf. The next purchase was the TechManual ordered through the same store, that took the owner about a week to get. Slapping my forehead, I also had the game store order the Introductory Box Set.

After checking out the errata available here I went over DriveThruRPG.com where I purchased TW, TM, TO, AToW, SO, IO, and BMM, plus most of the free material. The electronic copies are easier to insert the errata and frequently easier to find specific material in . Another plus is that the electronic copies are slightly cheaper.

I've toyed with the idea of getting them printed out but have not made the effort to do it.

Hi,

Your local gaming store should be able to order, we know it's in the distribution system and has been seen in stores. Alliance Distributing should be able to get it for your shop.

If you don't have a local store I'd order it from Miniature Market though I will point out it's also available on Amazon.

Bosefius

snrdg091012

• Sergeant
« Reply #24 on: 01 November 2017, 23:03:47 »
Hello Bosefius,

Thank you for the information.

Hi,

Your local gaming store should be able to order, we know it's in the distribution system and has been seen in stores. Alliance Distributing should be able to get it for your shop.

If you don't have a local store I'd order it from Miniature Market though I will point out it's also available on Amazon.

Bosefius

My local game store had a slight problem when I ordered a copy of the TechManual and Introductory Box Set. I have discovered that my physical copy of the TM is an early copy that needs a lot of errata updates. The PDF copies I've purchased from DriveThruRPG are available the same day I get them and I can add most of the errata using the features in Acrobat Reader.
Tom R (aka snrdg091012)

Bosefius

• Will Moderate for Hugs
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #25 on: 02 November 2017, 00:12:38 »
My local game store had a slight problem when I ordered a copy of the TechManual and Introductory Box Set. I have discovered that my physical copy of the TM is an early copy that needs a lot of errata updates. The PDF copies I've purchased from DriveThruRPG are available the same day I get them and I can add most of the errata using the features in Acrobat Reader.

That stinks about the TM, unfortunately distributors will mix printings into one lot unless the product code changes (listing it as a new item).

I like PDFs too, between having fast updates and crying all my books on my tablet it can't be beaten. But I still like having the books also. I feel admit it could be because I'm older but I don't remember things as well when I read a PDF versus the book.

mbear

• Stood Far Back When The Gravitas Was Handed Out
  • Major
    • Tower of Jade
« Reply #26 on: 02 November 2017, 08:05:14 »
I like PDFs too, between having fast updates and crying all my books on my tablet it can't be beaten.

I cry on the actual hardcopy books because I like to see the tear stains, and my tears short out my tablet. ;)

But I still like having the books also. I feel admit it could be because I'm older but I don't remember things as well when I read a PDF versus the book.

It's not just you. There have been some studies that show that people need more time to actually understand what they're reading on a screen vs. reading on paper. Comprehension usually takes 30-35% longer, IIRC.
Be the Loremaster:

Battletech transport rules take a very feline approach to moving troops in a combat zone: If they fits, they ships.

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your BT experience. Now what? (Thanks Sartis!)

snrdg091012

• Sergeant
« Reply #27 on: 02 November 2017, 09:13:51 »
Morning from WA Bosefius and mbear,
Quote from: Bosefius

link=topic=59184.msg1362356#msg1362356 date=1509599558
That stinks about the TM, unfortunately distributors will mix printings into one lot unless the product code changes (listing it as a new item).

I like PDFs too, between having fast updates and crying all my books on my tablet it can't be beaten. But I still like having the books also. I feel admit it could be because I'm older but I don't remember things as well when I read a PDF versus the book.

My preference is for physical copies however I've run out of space on my bookshelves and floor space is getting tight too.

I cry on the actual hardcopy books because I like to see the tear stains, and my tears short out my tablet. ;)

It's not just you. There have been some studies that show that people need more time to actually understand what they're reading on a screen vs. reading on paper. Comprehension usually takes 30-35% longer, IIRC.

Thank you for the information.
Tom R (aka snrdg091012)

JadeHellbringer

• Easily Bribed Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Colonel
  • Third time this week!
« Reply #28 on: 02 November 2017, 09:42:52 »
I'm PRETTY sure I saw a copy in the wild at a game store in Ashburn, VA last weekend - I only glanced at the small Battletech selection briefly, but I think it was there. Just didn't think anything of it to really pay attention. (I was miniature-prowling)

EDIT: Durr, AshBURN, not AshLAND.
« Last Edit: 03 November 2017, 10:57:11 by JadeHellbringer »
"There's a difference between the soldier and his fight,
But the warrior knows the true meaning of his life."
+Larry and his Flask, 'Blood Drunk'+

"You know, basically war is just, like, a bunch of people playing pranks on each other, but at the end they all die."
+Crow T. Robot+

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #29 on: 02 November 2017, 18:59:10 »
What were you doing that far south?  I thought you were up here in the land of the five-sided PowerPoint collider I'm trapped in.  I pass through there on parole when I go to visit my wife and kids.  Perhaps I'll have to get off the train there one of these times...

Register