Author Topic: Stingray F-93B  (Read 1559 times)

Black_Knyght

• Captain
  • Nisi mors certum est in bello
Stingray F-93B
« on: 30 October 2017, 01:33:42 »
In an ever evolving process of trying to tweak my favorite fighters, I present this 3065 era design for thoughts, opinions, and constructive input.

Stingray F-93B

Code: [Select]
Stingray F-93B
IS Medium Aerospace Fighter
60 tons 
BV: 1,647
Cost: 7,546,110 C-bills

Fuel Tonnage: 5.5 tons
Fuel Points: 440

Movement: 6/9
Engine: 240 XL
Heat Sinks: 21 [42]

Structural Integrity: 6
Armor: 206 (Ferro-Aluminum)
                        Armor
-----------------------------
Nose                       66
Left Wing                  51
Right Wing                 51
Aft                        38

Weapon                         Loc  Heat
----------------------------------------
ER Large Laser                 NOS    12
ER Large Laser                 NOS    12
Small Pulse Laser              NOS     2
ER Large Laser                 RWG    12
ER Large Laser                 LWG    12
ER Medium Laser                AFT     5
Small Pulse Laser              AFT     2

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Clan Hells Horses 666th Mech. Assualt Cluster
Re: Stingray F-93B
« Reply #1 on: 06 December 2017, 20:06:25 »
You know, you can't alpha fire. Just those 4 ER Larges produces 48 points of heat versus your 21 double strength sinks.

TT
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse
That is, if true tanker doesn't beat me to it. He makes truly evil units.Col.Hengist on 31 May 2013
TT, we know you are the master of nasty  O0 ~ Fletch on 22 June 2013
If I'm attacking you, conventional wisom says to bring 3x your force.  I want extra insurance, so I'll bring 4 for every 1 of what you have :D ~ Tai Dai Cultist on 21 April 2016
Me: Would you rather fight my Epithymía Thanátou from the Whispers of Blake?
Nav_Alpha: That THING... that is horrid
~ Nav_Alpha on 10 October 2016

Black_Knyght

• Captain
« Reply #2 on: 06 December 2017, 20:18:23 »
I'm not an Aerotech guy, so I'm not sure where the problem is. But firing all 4 ERLLs doesn't put you that overheated, and firing one less the next round balances that out.

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #3 on: 06 December 2017, 20:24:50 »
ASFs can't overheat, otherwise they explode, give or take.

But if you drop to 3x ERM per wing and fold the rest into DHS... Swap out the ERM and SPL for paired MPL? for cooler better to-hit bonuses.

TT
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse
That is, if true tanker doesn't beat me to it. He makes truly evil units.Col.Hengist on 31 May 2013
If I'm attacking you, conventional wisom says to bring 3x your force.  I want extra insurance, so I'll bring 4 for every 1 of what you have :D ~ Tai Dai Cultist on 21 April 2016

Terrace

• Lieutenant
« Reply #4 on: 06 December 2017, 20:49:26 »
I wouldn't say that ASFs can't overheat, because they can... it's just a really, really bad idea.

The heat scale is far more unforgiving for ASFs than it is for BattleMechs. If you overheat in a BattleMech (around +9 or so), the worst you'll suffer would be loosing some speed and a targeting penalty. The ammo explosion check doesn't come until somewhere in the teens, I believe.

For an ASF? Overheating that badly forces you to make a control roll. If you fail, you go Out of Control, which means you're locked onto whatever vector you were going, and can't fire any weapons. In space, it leaves you a sitting duck that's good for nothing but enemy target practice until you cool off. In an atmosphere, I'm pretty sure it also has a pretty severe chance of meeting the ground in a terminal fashion.

Now, as for the ERLLs, it clearly requires strict discipline. A 4-3-4-3 pattern would be required to keep the heat under control. Now, as for modifying it, I question the SPL in the nose. And why an ER Medium paired with a SPL in the rear? Personally, I would delete the ER Medium, move the nose SPL into its spot, and add another heat sink with the free ton.

That way, the overheat is just +4, which isn't as bad, but improves your safety margin when watching your heat gauge. I would heavily recommend dropping one of the ERLLs when using the rear guns. Assuming you were on the 4 portion of the pattern the previous turn, you come to exactly 0 heat when firing three ERLLs and both SPLs.

Black_Knyght

• Captain
« Reply #5 on: 06 December 2017, 20:58:41 »
I added the SPLs on the advice that they'd act as useful ammo-less PD, hence why they're in both the nose and aft.

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #6 on: 06 December 2017, 20:59:41 »
L-AMS works better, but they are HEAT pigs!

TT
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse

DOC_Agren

• Major
« Reply #7 on: 07 December 2017, 20:58:19 »
What about replacing the 2 Nose mounted ERLL with a single ERPPC with PPC Capacitor, 1 more DHS, and 1 ERML per wing.

(not being an aerotech expert I could be off)
"For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast, And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed:And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill, And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still!"

Register