Author Topic: (Answered) TAG spotting rules disparities - TW/BMM  (Read 1942 times)

Alfaryn

• Master Sergeant
(Answered) TAG spotting rules disparities - TW/BMM
« on: 21 November 2017, 23:58:41 »
First problem

Indirect fire rules on p. 30 BMM and p. 111 TW say, that if a spotter attacks during the same turn it spots, the spotter, suffers +1 to attack rolls during the following Weapon Attack Phase, as do any indirect fire attacks against a unit spotted in this way. Since after recent rules changes successfully TAGing a unit also counts as spotting it:
1. does anyone who successfully uses a TAG suffer +1 to all attacks during the following Weapon Attack Phase?
2. does anyone firing indirectly at a unit "spotted by TAG" suffer +1 to such attacks?

Under the current TW errata the answer seems to be "no" to both (see the TW errata for TAG (Target Acquisition Gear) (p. 142)), but no such rule seems to appear in BMM (I've checked both the indirect rules on p. 30-31 BMM and the TAG rules on pp. 113-114 BMM).

-----------

Second problem

The rules in TW (both on p. 111 and pp. 142-143) don't say, that in case you fail your to-hit roll to TAG a target, you can still spot one target without using a TAG. It is clear in the BMM (under TAG on p. 31), where it says that not only you can spot in a normal fashion after a failed TAG attempt, but also that you don't have to spot the unit you attempted to TAG.

-----------

Which manual is correct here? I would guess, that it would be TW for the first problem, and BMM for the second, as they provide more detailed rules in those cases, but I want to make sure before posting any errata.
« Last Edit: 28 November 2017, 21:24:23 by Xotl »

Xotl

• Dominus Erratorum
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Professor of Errata
Re: BMM/TW rules disparities - using TAG to spot.
« Reply #1 on: 28 November 2017, 21:23:56 »
1. No. The unit isn't spotting; the successful TAG hits causes the target to be considered to be spotted.
2. The firing unit still suffers a +1 penalty for firing indirectly.
3. BMM is correct.
3028-3057 Random Assignment Tables -
Also contains faction deployment & rarity info.

http://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=1219.0

Alfaryn

• Master Sergeant
Re: BMM/TW rules disparities - using TAG to spot.
« Reply #2 on: 29 November 2017, 03:49:35 »
1. No. The unit isn't spotting; the successful TAG hits causes the target to be considered to be spotted.
2. The firing unit still suffers a +1 penalty for firing indirectly.
3. BMM is correct.

Regarding 2. do you mean +1 penalty for indirect fire mentioned in 4th bullet point on p. 30 BMM/2nd bullet point on p. 111 TW (which as far as I understand the rules does not apply only if you fire semi-guided LRMs at the TAG-ed target or use indirect artillery fire which is governed by entirely different rules), or the extra +1 penalty for firing indirectly at a target spotted by a unit, that is also attacking during Weapons Attack Phase (6th bullet point on p. 30 BMM/4th bullet point on p. 111 TW)? I had been referring to the latter, but in light of your answer to 1., I assume, you thought I had been writing about the former?

Other than that, your answers are clear, but the books (particularly TW), could do better job explaining the rules here.
« Last Edit: 01 December 2017, 03:16:44 by Alfaryn »