Author Topic: Thoughts on hover support unit.  (Read 3368 times)

Zaskar24

• Corporal
Thoughts on hover support unit.
« on: 26 November 2017, 14:01:07 »
Hello everyone, been awhile since I have been active on the boards. Was looking for some input for a post 3145 mercenary unit I am putting together. It is going to be a reinforced combined arms battalion and I am currently debating about what to do with the conventional forces. It is going to be a mixed tech unit and will have some older clan designs in it as well.

For the support unit I am debating between a company of hovers as well as a company of infantry/BA with organic hover transport or a reinforced company with 3 platoons each of 5 hovercraft and a platoon of infantry or BA attached. Way out there idea is 6 hovers, two are IFVs, with an attached platoon of infantry and platoon of BA. If this last one it would only be two reinforced platoons in the squadron.

Any thoughts or different ideas on this would be appreciated.

Saint

• Captain
  • Keeper of the Reaper
Re: Thoughts on hover support unit.
« Reply #1 on: 27 November 2017, 10:17:32 »
 For older units, Saracen, Harasser  (LRM), LTV-4 Hover tank . For higher tech, Saracen mkII, Drillson,  Fulcrum,  and a FWL hover tank with a LRM15 that I can't remember the name for.
"Our eyes lie on Glory, Honor, Strength. Burned worlds will declare our name as cause."

RoundTop

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant
  • In Takashi We Trust
« Reply #2 on: 27 November 2017, 11:59:53 »
Throw in pair of Saladins too. Fast hovers with BIG ACs.  Just choose the AC/20, uAC/20, or LB20X.
No-Dachi has a counter-argument. Nothing further? Ok.
Demo team agent #772

Zaskar24

• Corporal
« Reply #3 on: 27 November 2017, 19:31:21 »
Thank you for the suggestions on the hovers. Already have some sprinkled in for the unit with some upgrades including a little clan tech. One of the platoons will have an Epona in it as well as a full custom 50 tonner.

What are people thoughts on my organizational ideas? Do the 5 vehicles and one dismount platoon of infantry or BA ala Com Guards/WoB? Or go with a separate armored company and infantry company? Either way will be about the same amount of vehicles (15 as it stands).

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #4 on: 27 November 2017, 19:54:52 »
I recommend my Glenmora Planetary Militia thread for a full treatment of my thoughts on this...

mbear

• Stood Far Back When The Gravitas Was Handed Out
  • Major
    • Tower of Jade
« Reply #5 on: 28 November 2017, 07:58:39 »
Throw in pair of Saladins too. Fast hovers with BIG ACs.  Just choose the AC/20, uAC/20, or LB20X.

LB 20X for me. Even with standard solid shots the range is improved over the AC/20.
Be the Loremaster:

Battletech transport rules take a very feline approach to moving troops in a combat zone: If they fits, they ships.

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your BT experience. Now what? (Thanks Sartis!)

Hellraiser

• Colonel
  • Cry Havoc and Unleash the Gods of Fiat.
« Reply #6 on: 28 November 2017, 11:15:05 »
and a FWL hover tank with a LRM15 that I can't remember the name for.
I think your thinking of the 40 Ton Stygian, which is a great little tank
3041: General Lance Hawkins: The Equalizers
3053: Star Colonel Rexor Kerensky: The Silver Wolves

"I don't shoot Urbanmechs, I walk up, stomp on their foot, wait for the head to pop open & drop in a hand grenade (or Elemental)" - Joel47
Against mechs, infantry have two options: Run screaming from Godzilla, or giggle under your breath as the arrogant fools blunder into your trap. - Weirdo

pheonixstorm

• Major
« Reply #7 on: 28 November 2017, 17:03:13 »
Can't go wrong with a Pegasus. Load some up with std rounds and inferno. Or grab the one that drops sensors.

Zaskar24

• Corporal
« Reply #8 on: 28 November 2017, 19:38:18 »
I recommend my Glenmora Planetary Militia thread for a full treatment of my thoughts on this...

That is exactly what I was looking for Daryk. Thank you for the link to it. Since this is a mercenary unit the hovers will be a mismatch of units that they have added as they could afford/needed replacements. For this unit I am going to go with a reinforced company of 4 platoons each with 4 hovers, including 1 IFV, with two platoons with conventional infantry and two reinforced BA platoons of 6 in a pair of modified Blizzards.

Saint

• Captain
  • Keeper of the Reaper
« Reply #9 on: 28 November 2017, 20:38:12 »
I think your thinking of the 40 Ton Stygian, which is a great little tank
Yes and yes it is!
"Our eyes lie on Glory, Honor, Strength. Burned worlds will declare our name as cause."

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #10 on: 28 November 2017, 23:30:14 »
That is exactly what I was looking for Daryk. Thank you for the link to it. Since this is a mercenary unit the hovers will be a mismatch of units that they have added as they could afford/needed replacements. For this unit I am going to go with a reinforced company of 4 platoons each with 4 hovers, including 1 IFV, with two platoons with conventional infantry and two reinforced BA platoons of 6 in a pair of modified Blizzards.
You're very welcome!  Glad I could be of assistance.

Kovax

• Captain
  • Taking over the Universe one mapsheet at a time
« Reply #11 on: 29 November 2017, 11:54:21 »
In one of my previous Merc campaigns, I ran a lance with motley collection of hovertanks: Saracen, Scimitar, Pegasus, and J. Edgar.  The Saracen delivered long-range fire, the Scimitar offered direct aimed fire against immobilized targets, and the Pegasus and J. Edgar were the primary workhorses for "parking" enemy vehicles in a few rapid runs through the danger zone.  The J. Edgar was eventually replaced with a Drillson when one became available as salvage.   A Heavy Hover APC (LRM), an integral part of the infantry company but frequently attached to the hover lance, provided infantry support when needed for the mission.

Demon55

• Captain
  • Planning wisely.
« Reply #12 on: 24 December 2017, 00:22:22 »
In one of my previous Merc campaigns, I ran a lance with motley collection of hovertanks: Saracen, Scimitar, Pegasus, and J. Edgar.  The Saracen delivered long-range fire, the Scimitar offered direct aimed fire against immobilized targets, and the Pegasus and J. Edgar were the primary workhorses for "parking" enemy vehicles in a few rapid runs through the danger zone.  The J. Edgar was eventually replaced with a Drillson when one became available as salvage.   A Heavy Hover APC (LRM), an integral part of the infantry company but frequently attached to the hover lance, provided infantry support when needed for the mission.

Those are all great choices.  The Drillson is a good and well-balanced machine.  The Regulator is a nice mobile gauss platform.  I have heard good things about the Fulcrum.

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
« Reply #13 on: 29 December 2017, 08:13:30 »
You might want to look at the SM1 Tank Destroyer which was wide spread by the Dark Ages, it gets the Saladin feel with a bit better tech.

When you say its been a while, it makes me wonder if you played with BMR rules last or TW.  The reason I say this is that hovers used to be the go to option for combat vehicles . . . that has changed with TW- you would be better off with tracked designs unless you were looking explicitly for cavalry.
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

Kovax

• Captain
  • Taking over the Universe one mapsheet at a time
« Reply #14 on: 29 December 2017, 11:19:39 »
Hovers are no longer the invincible munch machines that they were at one point, but they still provide a highly mobile element that tracked vehicles can't keep up with.  If you're looking for a "stand and deliver" battle, then the hovers are the wrong choice, but if you're going for objectives, strategic maneuver, and hit and fade tactics, then they're the ideal tool for the task.

Zaskar24

• Corporal
« Reply #15 on: 29 December 2017, 13:08:39 »
Thank you for the reply Colt. When I saw that the SM1 TD was listed for mercenaries on the MUL I added it to the list of minis to get for this unit. I remember when hovers were beasts and that is where my love for them began. I made sure that I was familiar with the changes to some degree of what has changed since I was last around. With that in mind the idea for the hovers has been as a traditional cavalry unit. Help to find the enemy and keep track of them as well as providing a screening force for the Mechs flanks. I do not intend for them to stand and deliver, they will hit and fade and will not get bogged down in a slogging match unless things are very desperate.