Author Topic: Have there ever been any Honor of Wakizashi survivors?  (Read 2507 times)

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • It's just my goth phase
Have there ever been any Honor of Wakizashi survivors?
« on: 08 December 2017, 01:22:20 »
Typically, anyone who receives the Honor of Wakizashi "award" is expected to disembowel themselves.  But have there ever been any recipients who instead bought themselves a one way ticket to Solaris or the FWL, signed on with a merc unit, or otherwise tried to make a break for it?  If so, what happened?  I assume that the ISF has a rather dismal view on such matters, after all.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

Archangel

• Major
Re: Have there ever been any Honor of Wakizashi survivors?
« Reply #1 on: 08 December 2017, 03:04:01 »
No.
Detect evil first, smite second and ask questions later.

Archangel

• Major
« Reply #2 on: 08 December 2017, 03:22:45 »
 ;D

To clarify, one gets the award for placing one's personal (or one's family's) honor above that of House Kurita and the Combine and then committing ritual suicide (hara-kiri, poison, bullet through the temple, etc).  At the most basic level one commits an act of treason and the only way to wash away the dishonor is death.  As long as he or she was alive it would be a stain on the Combine's honor and the Combine could never give an 'honor' to a living traitor.

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #3 on: 08 December 2017, 10:36:40 »
I get that.  The "Honor" is only given out to Kuritans who have a high enough military rank or enough political pull to avoid outright execution for their crimes.  I was just wondering if someone had ever decided to go all the way and flee the country.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

Sharpnel

• Colonel
« Reply #4 on: 08 December 2017, 12:28:02 »
I get that.  The "Honor" is only given out to Kuritans who have a high enough military rank or enough political pull to avoid outright execution for their crimes.  I was just wondering if someone had ever decided to go all the way and flee the country.
One would think that the 'Honoree' would have dedicated 'Honor' guard of DEST troopers to prevent this from happening.
Consigliere Trygg Bender, CRD-3BL Crusader, The Blazer Mafia
Takehiro 'Taco' Uchimiya, SHD-2H Shadow Hawk 'Taco', Crimson Oasis Trading Company

"Of what use is a dream, if not a blueprint for courageous action" -Adam West
As I get older, I realize that I'm not as good as I once was.
"Life is too short to be living someone else's dream" - Hugh Hefner

YingJanshi

• Major
  • Switch Friend Code: SW-4326-4622-8514
« Reply #5 on: 08 December 2017, 12:59:48 »
Do we have any examples of it being awarded in fiction?

(I don't see it as crimes rising up to treason...but I don't have any counter arguments.)

Initiate of the Order of Valhalla

(HBS: Backer #4,960)
(Clan Invasion: Backer #314)
(Mercenaries: Backer #6,017)

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • The Temple Grounds - My Roleplaying and History website
« Reply #6 on: 08 December 2017, 16:13:50 »
i would assume the award is only issued posthumously, after the suicide is confirmed.

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #7 on: 08 December 2017, 16:18:45 »
No, it explicitly states that you're expected to kill yourself after receiving it.

trboturtle

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Erraturi te salutant!
« Reply #8 on: 08 December 2017, 17:56:30 »
No, it explicitly states that you're expected to kill yourself after receiving it.

And it's implied the suicide is supposed to happen minutes after receiving it.......

Craig
Author of 32 Battletech short stories including "The Lance Killer," "Hikagemono," "Negotiation," "The Clawing," "Salvage," "The Promise," "Reap What You Sow," "Family Ties," "The Blood of Man," "End of Message," "Heroes' Bridge," "Kurodenkou," "Thirteen," "My Father's Sword," "Evacuation," "Operation Red Lion," "A Matter of Honor," "State of Grace," "Operation Blue Tiger," "A Warrior's Fear," "Shadow Angels," "Murphy's Method," "End of the Road," (IAMTW 2019 Scribe Award nominee!), "Tales of the Cracked Canopy: Blind Arrogance," "Laws Are Silent," "No Tears," "Tales of the Cracked Canopy: Shadows of the Past," and "Three White Roses."
Novels -- Icons of War, Elements of Treason series, "Vengence Games." Upcoming: "In the Shadow of Dragons" and "Poisoned Honor" (WoR #1)

My Blogs!
Battletech:  http://thebattletechstate.blogspot.com/
Other writings: http://trboturtleswritings.blogspot.com/

Frabby

• Major
« Reply #9 on: 09 December 2017, 06:31:13 »
I was under the impression that the honor is bestowed only after the (confirmed) death of the receipient, who is supposed to kill himself upon being informed that he's "eligible" for the Order of the Wakizashi.
Sarna.net BattleTechWiki Admin
Author of the BattleCorps stories Feather vs. Mountain, Rise and Shine, Proprietary, Trial of Faith & scenario Twins

Frabby

• Major
« Reply #10 on: 09 December 2017, 06:33:40 »
Do we have any examples of it being awarded in fiction?
I seem to recall Fuhito Tetsuhara mentioned that his brother Yoshi had received the order.
Sarna.net BattleTechWiki Admin
Author of the BattleCorps stories Feather vs. Mountain, Rise and Shine, Proprietary, Trial of Faith & scenario Twins

Archangel

• Major
« Reply #11 on: 09 December 2017, 09:47:40 »
The Honor of Wakizashi can be awarded both before or after death depending upon the circumstances.  Per FM:DCMS (p46):" No less than three previous commanders of the Seventeenth Regulars have been posthumously [aka after their deaths] awarded the Honor of Wakizashi,..."  Obviously if the person declines the honor (aka declines to commit seppuku) they will be helped along willingly or unwillingly and depending upon their social status may either have the award revoked or a cover story will be put in place claiming they performed the ceremony willingly.  After all in the Combine image is everything.

The only way to have a serious chance of surviving the 'Honor of Wakizashi' is to flee before it is awarded.  Fleeing after it was awarded would likely be considered a public slap in the face and the award immediately cancelled and an ISF hit team sent after the individual.  However depending upon the offense the individual may be under arrest awaiting word on his/her fate.

Register