Author Topic: When to pass on the baton  (Read 5692 times)

Col Toda

• Captain
When to pass on the baton
« on: 20 December 2017, 06:39:44 »
My principal Battletech character started in 3039 at 21 years of age and passed his responsibilities to the next generation at the end of the Jihad . It also changed the size and scope of the mercenary company he started . It got drastically downsized during the republic age , while the majority of the unit changed its name and became a unit in the Draconis Combine . Did you pass the baton to the next generation or die in the cockpit
« Last Edit: 20 December 2017, 06:41:50 by Col Toda »

pheonixstorm

• Major
Re: When to pass on the baton
« Reply #1 on: 20 December 2017, 07:11:15 »
Fastest way to pass the baton IS to die in the cockpit. Preferably AFTER your successor has finished training and been well taught by yourself and your staff. I've had two that went that route while a third died after her brat turned 16 and well before he knew what he was doing. And oh how he was a brat. Thankfully the unit had a strong XO who bribed, beat, and strangled the kid into becoming a competent leader after a few years so all was well... for a time.

JadeHellbringer

• Easily Bribed Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Colonel
  • Third time this week!
« Reply #2 on: 20 December 2017, 09:09:34 »
The merc unit I ran for a campaign years ago was in the FedCom breakup days- the colonel was in his 60s at that point (he was more just a device to deliver briefings and such to the players, who controlled one of the unit companies). He died at the end of the Civil War in his sleep., around the age of 80.

...granted, only then because a mysterious assassin put two .22LR rounds into his head and two more in his chest from a silenced pistol before escaping unnoticed, but still, died in his sleep technically. (That in turn started a story arc I never got to finish up with them that would have lead into the opening horrors of the Jihad, giving both a reason to draw them into the war and keep them the hell away from Outreach so they didn't get caught up in any of that madness)

HOWEVER, prior to his death, as recently as a few days prior, he was still an active Mechwarrior in a modified Black Knight, still regularly taking the field with his command lance, and still regularly finding himself being used by the GM as both a macguffin to rescue the players from bad situations and in turn as a plot device needing rescue himself from the players now and then.  #P
"There's a difference between the soldier and his fight,
But the warrior knows the true meaning of his life."
+Larry and his Flask, 'Blood Drunk'+

"You know, basically war is just, like, a bunch of people playing pranks on each other, but at the end they all die."
+Crow T. Robot+

Nav_Alpha

• Major
« Reply #3 on: 20 December 2017, 22:16:47 »
I’ve been running a campaign for two years plus here; http://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=53133.360

That translates to just shy of 20 years in game time (started in 3059, it’s now 3076).
Colonel Felix Cavalli will turn 40 in game very shortly - spoiler alert... his 40th will take  place on New Hessen.
During that time Felix has lost an arm and a leg to the Blakists, divorced a wife after she discover his infedeliy, shot dead his second wife on their wedding day after discovering she was a cybered up MD plant on an Assassination mission and been reunited with his long lost twin sons he fathered on a far flung periphery world.

I’m thinking the end of the Jihad and the start of the Republic era peace would see him into his mid-40s.
Maybe that more peaceful era will see him settle down in the Republic as a gentleman farmer or even run for planetary Legate or something.

I’ve not decided yet - and that’s assuming he makes it through the next few years

"Hold your position, conserve ammo... and wait for the Dragoons to go Feral"
- last words of unknown merc, Harlech, 3067

Daemion

• Major
  • The Future of BattleTech
    • Never Tales and Other Daydreams
« Reply #4 on: 20 December 2017, 22:36:16 »
Did you pass the baton to the next generation or die in the cockpit

This one's kinda odd, because my Star Character isn't normal.  You could say he effectively died in the cockpit, and his buddy inherited his ride, and kept it for when he would return from wandering through other universes into the Dark Age.

This has allowed him to participate in events in alternate variations of the BTu, and, he's not strictly bound by time or space when he jumps. For all intents and purposes, it looks like he dies.

Hey. This is a science fantasy setting, right? There's room for travelers from other universes.  It's the basis for a MagiTech campaign we started where different 'colored' magi with different magical aspects could summon people out of the BTu and wage duels with them.

;)

For the buddy, Casey Putnam simply retired, burdened with a responsibility that he couldn't chance in the cockpit.

As for any of the other characters I've had the pleasure to run, I haven't made too many that died in the cockpit.  it's happened to a few of my buddies. (A clan pilot against Khan Kell.)  But, not often.

It's your world. You can do anything you want in it. - Bob Ross

Every thought and device conceived by Satan and man must be explored and found wanting. - Donald Grey Barnhouse on the purpose of history and time.

I helped make a game! ^_^  - Forge Of War: Tactics

Hellraiser

• Colonel
  • Cry Havoc and Unleash the Gods of Fiat.
« Reply #5 on: 20 December 2017, 23:06:49 »
The merc unit I ran for a campaign years ago was in the FedCom breakup days- the colonel was in his 60s at that point (he was more just a device to deliver briefings and such to the players, who controlled one of the unit companies).
HOWEVER, prior to his death, as recently as a few days prior, he was still an active Mechwarrior in a modified Black Knight, still regularly taking the field with his command lance, and still regularly finding himself being used by the GM as both a macguffin to rescue the players from bad situations and in turn as a plot device needing rescue himself from the players now and then.  #P

This sounds a lot like our old MW1 campaign, albeit a bit later in the timeline, we were 3028-3057 era.
What started as a lance of MW1 RPG characters turned into a much larger mech unit where in the end the RPG characters would rarely be on the BT board at the same time as they had been promoted over time to higher & higher ranks & instead we would only use 1-2 characters on the board  (Company CO + Battalion CO for example) with the rest of the group essentially just playing w/ mechs in CBT scale & rotating who was pulling GM/OP4 duty.

That said, I've often wondered what events in the canon timeline the unit would have participated in had we been playing 20 years later.
I think parts of Bulldog & FCCW, and based on what happens in the Jihad, I think they would end up spending most of that decade defending Skye after being booted off their garrison worlds by the WoB expanding the Protectorate.

Post Jihad is kind of a mess, much of the unit would retire.  Some would join the Republic military as either line units or RSG for their homeworld.
For my main character, I think invest heavily in Astroid mining & spend his final years trying to buy his way into some gene therapy from the Belters to achieve immortality, or at least a couple more centuries of life, on or the other  ;)
3041: General Lance Hawkins: The Equalizers
3053: Star Colonel Rexor Kerensky: The Silver Wolves

"I don't shoot Urbanmechs, I walk up, stomp on their foot, wait for the head to pop open & drop in a hand grenade (or Elemental)" - Joel47
Against mechs, infantry have two options: Run screaming from Godzilla, or giggle under your breath as the arrogant fools blunder into your trap. - Weirdo

Black_Knyght

• Captain
  • Nisi mors certum est in bello
« Reply #6 on: 29 December 2017, 18:34:11 »
In our ongoing campaign (set presently in 3075) my long-term character and unit commander is cited as being born in 3017, which puts him around 58 years +/- now. We've (our player group) had some discussion about a possible successor but I still feel that he's both not old enough to retire yet AND hasn't been a fatality yet. I like to think he's still got a few more good trigger pulls left in him!  ;)

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Clan Hells Horses 666th Mech. Assualt Cluster
« Reply #7 on: 30 December 2017, 14:39:22 »
How do you effectively kill someone who literally is cybered into their mech?

Torso mounted armoured small cockpit and all.

TT
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse
That is, if true tanker doesn't beat me to it. He makes truly evil units.Col.Hengist on 31 May 2013
TT, we know you are the master of nasty  O0 ~ Fletch on 22 June 2013
If I'm attacking you, conventional wisom says to bring 3x your force.  I want extra insurance, so I'll bring 4 for every 1 of what you have :D ~ Tai Dai Cultist on 21 April 2016
Me: Would you rather fight my Epithymía Thanátou from the Whispers of Blake?
Nav_Alpha: That THING... that is horrid
~ Nav_Alpha on 10 October 2016

Sir Chaos

• Captain
  • Artillery Fanboy
« Reply #8 on: 30 December 2017, 14:41:16 »
How do you effectively kill someone who literally is cybered into their mech?

Torso mounted armoured small cockpit and all.

TT

Nuke them from orbit?
"Artillery adds dignity to what would otherwise be a vulgar brawl."
-Frederick the Great

"Ultima Ratio Regis" ("The Last Resort of the King")
- Inscription on cannon barrel, 18th century

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #9 on: 30 December 2017, 14:46:50 »
Again... you'd need a direct hit like on the map to combat kill them, they can still be rebuilt...

TT
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse
That is, if true tanker doesn't beat me to it. He makes truly evil units.Col.Hengist on 31 May 2013
If I'm attacking you, conventional wisom says to bring 3x your force.  I want extra insurance, so I'll bring 4 for every 1 of what you have :D ~ Tai Dai Cultist on 21 April 2016

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #10 on: 30 December 2017, 16:25:55 »
Maybe, but "direct hit" for a nuke translates roughly to "same map sheet"...

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #11 on: 30 December 2017, 16:40:42 »
A " single " map could be 2x2 or greater. Nukes don't belong on a 1x1.

TT
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse

Sir Chaos

• Captain
  • Artillery Fanboy
« Reply #12 on: 30 December 2017, 16:42:27 »
I thought the rules say that anything that has its center torso destroyed by an area-of-effect weapon is irrecoverably destroyed? And nukes are about as "area-of-effect" as they come.
-Frederick the Great

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #13 on: 30 December 2017, 17:02:02 »
True, and I'll have gotten off the field before I let that happen, it'll assume I still have mobility and a SINGLE center torso internal point left.

TT
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse

pheonixstorm

• Major
« Reply #14 on: 30 December 2017, 18:00:51 »
Near hit from a NPPC or NAC/40 might work too.

anastrace

• Corporal
« Reply #15 on: 03 January 2018, 11:52:35 »
Usually a "passing of the baton" moment in my old group (who played a merc unit called Kaeru's Krushers) came down to, well our CO took a gauss rifle to the face, Dave you're up.

10 minutes later, Dave takes a Clan PPC to the face. Bev, lead us to glory.

Yep, we had a problem with headshots. Our GM may have had mutant powers of luck.
Missiles, how do they work? (Seriously, guided bottle rockets?)

Black_Knyght

• Captain
« Reply #16 on: 04 January 2018, 04:04:01 »
Usually a "passing of the baton" moment in my old group (who played a merc unit called Kaeru's Krushers) came down to, well our CO took a gauss rifle to the face, Dave you're up.

10 minutes later, Dave takes a Clan PPC to the face. Bev, lead us to glory.

Yep, we had a problem with headshots. Our GM may have had mutant powers of luck.

ROFLMAO !!!

Challenger

• Warrant Officer
  • Six or Styx
    • My Fanfiction Stories
« Reply #17 on: 06 January 2018, 15:21:21 »
I think I've gone through 4 COs to my merc unit between the Clan Invasion and the end of the Jihad

Samuel Gibson retired at the end of Op Bulldog, though he later died fighting in the Jihad with a different unit

Nicholas Shadowsword took over after Op Bulldog and fought through the FedCom Civil War only to catch a Gauss Rifle slug at the start of the Jihad

Clint Evans was the former training officer and only ended up in charge because every other mech officer managed to die in the same mission Nick did. Not even vaguely cut out for command he was only in post for a short time before stepping down.

Charles Breton took over from Clint and ran the unit until he was caught up in a nuclear blast towards the end of the Jihad.

Challenger

Kitsune413

• Major
  • Diamond Khanate Sakhan
« Reply #18 on: 06 January 2018, 16:36:04 »
Dude. You've gotta do it Jaime Wolf style.

Never.

In fact, don't even trust your subordinates to take over. Just to be sure. You've gotta clone yourself.

You've gotta clone yourself, so that when you die, you can replace yourself with you.

But THEN don't even trust your clone.

Just keep running things.

UNTIL you get in a fight with a geriatric arch nemesis. Could be mechs. Could be ONTOP of a Submarine. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lO2Zp4nwsFA

THEN you die. Don't even worry about succession. They'll sort it out. Maybe.
Every man lives by exchanging - Adam Smith

Sir Chaos

• Captain
  • Artillery Fanboy
« Reply #19 on: 07 January 2018, 04:45:57 »
Dude. You've gotta do it Jaime Wolf style.

Never.

In fact, don't even trust your subordinates to take over. Just to be sure. You've gotta clone yourself.

You've gotta clone yourself, so that when you die, you can replace yourself with you.

But THEN don't even trust your clone.

Just keep running things.

UNTIL you get in a fight with a geriatric arch nemesis. Could be mechs. Could be ONTOP of a Submarine. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lO2Zp4nwsFA

THEN you die. Don't even worry about succession. They'll sort it out. Maybe.

Wolf didn´t clone himself. The Dragoon sciencists did. Wolf never even knew that Maeve was his clone.

You´re right about the last bit, though: Don´t worry about who succeeds you; when you die, it´ll be someone else´s problem.
-Frederick the Great

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #20 on: 07 January 2018, 07:20:05 »
I don't think we're all using the same definition of "clone" here...

Kitsune413

• Major
  • Diamond Khanate Sakhan
« Reply #21 on: 07 January 2018, 12:49:24 »
I don't think we're all using the same definition of "clone" here...

We're not talking clan Eugenics program. We're talking, Jaime Wolf without the Y chromosome.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #22 on: 07 January 2018, 12:52:22 »
Which isn't a clone... clones have the same DNA.

Kitsune413

• Major
  • Diamond Khanate Sakhan
« Reply #23 on: 07 January 2018, 12:58:55 »

That's incredibly pedantic... but... Yes. You are correct. What if I said, contra-gendered clone?

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #24 on: 07 January 2018, 13:03:50 »
It's a basic definition... clones are genetically identical.  If there's a chromosome difference, it's not a clone.  "Contra-gendered clone" is self-contradicting.  The movie Logan called a similar derivation "daughter", which is much closer.

Black_Knyght

• Captain
« Reply #25 on: 07 January 2018, 15:48:57 »

What would you call Maeve? How would you define her? ???

Android?

Robot?

Meat Popsicle?

For all practical purposes Maeve Wolf is simply a genetically-modified clone that was created using Jaime Wolf's DNA as it's basis. Any definition beyond that is just a matter of pickings nits... ;)

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #26 on: 07 January 2018, 16:11:09 »
My point is that any genetic modification means it's NOT a clone.  Logan comes as close as you can: she's his "daughter".

Kitsune413

• Major
  • Diamond Khanate Sakhan
« Reply #27 on: 07 January 2018, 16:14:42 »
It's strange because you're being really pedantic about a scientific term.. but then being like, "So we've gotta follow this comic book definition."

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #28 on: 07 January 2018, 16:18:07 »
That's why I put the comic book term in quotes.  And it's not just a scientific term.  Check any dictionary.  It's very clear.  Clone has a specific meaning.  Whatever you want to call Maeve, she's NOT a clone.  Derived from his DNA?  Sure.  Just like Logan's "daughter".  But not a clone.

Black_Knyght

• Captain
« Reply #29 on: 07 January 2018, 16:24:58 »
You're doing great at saying what Maeve isn't, but you're also avoiding answering the question all the same - What would you call Maeve? How would you define her?

Register