Author Topic: What Personality Type Are You?  (Read 2760 times)

Daemion

• Major
  • The Future of BattleTech
    • Never Tales and Other Daydreams
What Personality Type Are You?
« on: 03 January 2018, 14:33:23 »
There is a bunch of tests online that go into 'personality types'.  A friend of mine introduced me to the Myers-Briggs rating, which is two letters across four categories, making for sixteen distinct personalities.

I know that I took the two Myers-Briggs tests twice, and came up with two different results: INTJ and INTP.  I could say I come close, but not quite to the different descriptions of the two. Said friend who had studied Myers-Briggs a little more thoroughly says that I'm actually an INFJ.  Reading that one it fit a lot better.  Turns out INFJs can be hard to peg.

A brief summation of the letters: (to the best of my current  knowledge.)

I versus E = introverted versus extroverted
N versus S = intuitive versus sensory
F versus T = felling versus thinking
J versus P = judgement versus prospecting

As an INFJ, I'm very introverted, using intuition and feeling for a lot of my decision processes, and tend toward wanting to do something instead of merely thinking about it.  That's a very rough approximation. The different sites can do a better job explaining them and the results better.

But, I am curious what kind of personalities we have running around the forums.  So, what personality type are you?
It's your world. You can do anything you want in it. - Bob Ross

Every thought and device conceived by Satan and man must be explored and found wanting. - Donald Grey Barnhouse on the purpose of history and time.

I helped make a game! ^_^  - Forge Of War: Tactics

skiltao

• Lieutenant
    • SkilTao's Gaming Blog
Re: What Personality Type Are You?
« Reply #1 on: 03 January 2018, 21:58:51 »
INTJ. Occasionally a letter will flip because of phrasing, mood, or recent events.
Blog: currently working on BattleMech manufacturing rates. (Faction Intros project will resume eventually.)
History of BattleTech: Handy chart for returning players. (last updated end of 2012)

YingJanshi

• Major
  • Switch Friend Code: SW-4326-4622-8514
« Reply #2 on: 03 January 2018, 23:54:54 »
Took one a few years ago, came back INFP. It mostly fits I think. Though it depends on where I'm at with my dysthymia.

Initiate of the Order of Valhalla

(HBS: Backer #4,960)
(Clan Invasion: Backer #314)
(Mercenaries: Backer #6,017)

qc mech3

• Lieutenant
  • Mon pays, ce n'est pas un pays. C'est l'hiver.
« Reply #3 on: 04 January 2018, 18:10:13 »
tried one for fun and got ISTP. It does fit for most of the time.  #P

Cannonshop

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #4 on: 05 January 2018, 12:49:06 »
INTP, oddly enough.
"If you have to ask permission, then it's no longer a Right, it has been turned into a Privilege-something that can be and will be taken from you when convenient."

Kitsune413

• Major
  • Diamond Khanate Sakhan
« Reply #5 on: 05 January 2018, 12:53:49 »
I'm an enfp.

Meyers Briggs has bad sorters. Which gives it a bad reputation in the psychological arena... but I studied it for awhile. I don't personally see any deviations from people's type if I type them. The major complaint is that people can get a different personality type if they take it later. But I think it has more to do with the weakness of the tests themselves and with people themselves... plenty of people with low self awareness taking those tests.
Every man lives by exchanging - Adam Smith

IAMCLANWOLF

• Freelance Artist
  • Major
« Reply #6 on: 05 January 2018, 12:59:48 »
ENTJ - borderline introvert

Mech42ace

• Lieutenant
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #7 on: 05 January 2018, 13:20:12 »
I'm an ISFJ, which seems to fit me to a T.

I am dedicated to the things I like and focus on building preexisting skills rather than finding new ones.
At Comstar we listen. It's that simple.

Kitsune413

• Major
  • Diamond Khanate Sakhan
« Reply #8 on: 05 January 2018, 13:34:54 »
Just to throw it out there...

Introverted and Extraverted from Meyers Briggs actually doesn't mean what people think it means...

they are modifiers... and they modify the thing you like to do in your brain the most.

So if you are an ENTJ... you can be an introvert. the Extraversion modifies the T-thinking. Which means that the thing you love to do the most is make the world more orderly...

where I'm an ENFP... The E modifies the Intuitive. So my primary function is throwing a possibility, audibly, out into the world. Like, "Man. Wouldn't it be great if the Ilclan book had mechs made out of marbles." (Obviously thats a horrible idea. But if you run into someone bouncing crazy things out into the world you've probably found an enfp.)

.... and that does effect how you interact with the world. If your favorite thing to do is to keep your feelings straight... infp for instance. You're real good at knowing how you feel about something internally. Then you may not always want to be forced to do something that you don't like to do with your brain. (INFP's really hate to explain things out loud.)

Just throwing that out there. I've actually noticed alot with Meyers Briggs people getting upset about the E and I part... but without knowing what it's actually on about.

Kidd

• Major
« Reply #9 on: 05 January 2018, 14:08:26 »
I have always been assessed an INTP/J, with like 5% difference, which I hear is not unusual for developing personalities of these types.

The test reveals one's natural inclinations, but training or experience can alter the behaviours used to assess - rough example, naturally sloppy people can train themselves to be very neat.

Very useful insight into yourself. And I hear that you should get a close family member or your significant other to answer the test again FOR YOU, and compare that with your self-assessment... might be interesting!

www.16personalities.com is supposed to be the best of the casual MBTI tests available on the net.

MadCapellan

• Furibunda Scriptorem
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • In the name of Xin Sheng, I will punish you!
    • Check out the anime I've seen & reviewed!
« Reply #10 on: 05 January 2018, 14:31:43 »
ENFJ here, can we all be friends?

Mendrugo

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Manei Tetatae
« Reply #11 on: 05 January 2018, 14:55:25 »
INTJ, myself

I took an interesting leadership class a few years back where they first did the Meyers Briggs test, then sorted us according to the results and had us do activities that clearly showed the differences in outlook and behavior predicted by the test results.

When contrasting the introvert/extrovert aspect, they put the three strongest Extroverts out in the hall, then called them in.  They entered mid-conversation, having clearly been chatting merrily the whole time.  Then the strong introverts came in, having clearly been standing silently in the hall avoiding eye contact.

On Sensing vs. Intuition, the strong Sensers assigned to describe a cup of M&Ms counted them and indexed them by color.  At the Intuition table, the cup was glanced at perfunctorily, but triggered a wide ranging discussion of the M&M specialty stores, the history of the removal and reintroduction of red M&Ms, urban legends around the green, etc.

On Judging/Perceiving, they lacked sufficient Ps to make their own group, so they seeded one into each J group.  Given the task of deciding whether to report a neighbor for stealing food from our shop to feed his family, our group noted that we ultimately reported him to the police (over the Ps objection), but then felt a little bad about doing so due to the P's protest.
"We have made of New Avalon a towering funeral pyre and wiped the Davion scourge from the universe.  Tikonov, Chesterton and Andurien are ours once more, and the cheers of the Capellan people nearly drown out the gnashing of our foes' teeth as they throw down their weapons in despair.  Now I am made First Lord of the Star League, and all shall bow down to me and pay homa...oooooo! Shiny thing!" - Maximillian Liao, "My Triumph", audio dictation, 3030.  Unpublished.

IAMCLANWOLF

• Freelance Artist
  • Major
« Reply #12 on: 05 January 2018, 15:16:57 »
Just to throw it out there...

I only intended to note that I was at just 9% ext. Thinking v feeling is also very close in my scores. 

Kitsune413

• Major
  • Diamond Khanate Sakhan
« Reply #13 on: 05 January 2018, 16:01:51 »
I only intended to note that I was at just 9% ext. Thinking v feeling is also very close in my scores.

:) I wasn't nitpicking. Just being a nerd. I always feel like MBTI is really misunderstood.

Kitsune413

• Major
  • Diamond Khanate Sakhan
« Reply #14 on: 05 January 2018, 16:03:37 »
That's really cool Medrugo.

IAMCLANWOLF

• Freelance Artist
  • Major
« Reply #15 on: 05 January 2018, 16:31:26 »
Just being a nerd.

Precisely why I frequent this place... ;)

I always feel like MBTI is really misunderstood.

I certainly have much to learn.

Feenix74

• Captain
  • Lam's Phoenix Hawks
« Reply #16 on: 05 January 2018, 17:10:31 »
ENTJ / INTJ depending on my mood and the set of questions used in the MBTI questionnaire.

Incoming fire has the right of way.

The only thing more accurate than incoming enemy fire is incoming friendly fire.

Always remember that your weapon was built by the lowest bidder.

- excepts from Murphy's Laws of Combat

Kitsune413

• Major
  • Diamond Khanate Sakhan
« Reply #17 on: 05 January 2018, 18:05:53 »
ENTJ / INTJ depending on my mood and the set of questions used in the MBTI questionnaire.

The dominant characteristic of an ENTJ is extraverted Thinking... so the whole game is about asking yes/no questions about things in the world. "Did they build this correctly? Yes? fine. No? What is wrong with it. how can it be fixed?

The dominant characteristic of an INTJ is introverted intuition... So thinking about possibilities internally.

The secondary function of both types is the primary function of the other... So it's not too weird.

.... introverted intuition + judging drives me crazy... I always want more information... people quickly coming to a decision with the stuff they've got already blows my mind. I'm always like, "God. We should talk to some people, ask some stuff. go on the internet. What about this?"

Nope. Decided... with the stuff we know.... haha.

Kidd

• Major
« Reply #18 on: 05 January 2018, 21:26:15 »
INTJ, myself

I took an interesting leadership class a few years back where they first did the Meyers Briggs test, then sorted us according to the results and had us do activities that clearly showed the differences in outlook and behavior predicted by the test results.

When contrasting the introvert/extrovert aspect, they put the three strongest Extroverts out in the hall, then called them in.  They entered mid-conversation, having clearly been chatting merrily the whole time.  Then the strong introverts came in, having clearly been standing silently in the hall avoiding eye contact.

On Sensing vs. Intuition, the strong Sensers assigned to describe a cup of M&Ms counted them and indexed them by color.  At the Intuition table, the cup was glanced at perfunctorily, but triggered a wide ranging discussion of the M&M specialty stores, the history of the removal and reintroduction of red M&Ms, urban legends around the green, etc.

On Judging/Perceiving, they lacked sufficient Ps to make their own group, so they seeded one into each J group.  Given the task of deciding whether to report a neighbor for stealing food from our shop to feed his family, our group noted that we ultimately reported him to the police (over the Ps objection), but then felt a little bad about doing so due to the P's protest.
Hahaha!

That is funny!

It was one such Leadership course I entered which convinced me MBTI wasn't just hocus pocus. My coursemates and I didn't play such a game but it was pretty self-evident from what we'd come to know about each other! :D

Kitsune413

• Major
  • Diamond Khanate Sakhan
« Reply #19 on: 05 January 2018, 21:32:17 »
It's pretty disliked by the psychological community unfortunately. I just took a psychology class and it's definitely listed under pseudoscience...

they really like the big 5... but I dig Mbti. I feel like the big 5 does the same stuff. Like... there are 6 billion people around. Anybody that gets the same big 5 numbers as me is probably an enfp.

Kidd

• Major
« Reply #20 on: 05 January 2018, 22:45:13 »
It's pretty disliked by the psychological community unfortunately. I just took a psychology class and it's definitely listed under pseudoscience...

they really like the big 5... but I dig Mbti. I feel like the big 5 does the same stuff. Like... there are 6 billion people around. Anybody that gets the same big 5 numbers as me is probably an enfp.
My pshrink friends tell me the same thing. MBTI is in professional disfavour, but its frankly more understandable to laymen than Big 5.

mikecj

• Major
  • Veteran of Galahad 3028
« Reply #21 on: 06 January 2018, 16:05:47 »
55% ENTJ
45% INTJ
There are no fish in my pond.
"First, one brief announcement. I just want to mention, for those who have asked, that absolutely nothing what so ever happened today in sector 83x9x12. I repeat, nothing happened. Please remain calm." Susan Ivanova
"Solve a man's problems with violence, help him for a day. Teach a man to solve his problems with violence, help him for a lifetime." - Belkar Bitterleaf
Romo Lampkin could have gotten Stefan Amaris off with a warning.

Kitsune413

• Major
  • Diamond Khanate Sakhan
« Reply #22 on: 08 January 2018, 10:03:27 »
There hasn't been a single S here yet...

Which seems to make sense. Kind of need some N to do the big stompy robots thing. Also, S's tend not to mess with MBTI as much. Still. Super interesting.

pheonixstorm

• Major
« Reply #23 on: 09 January 2018, 20:40:30 »
I suck... INTP

Blackhorse 6

• Night Stalker Moderator
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant
  • Uh huh...
« Reply #24 on: 09 January 2018, 22:50:28 »
ISTJ.  Have been since I first took the test in college... 30 years ago now...  :o

When I attended the DoD EO course, we spent a week playing with our test results and how to relate to the others based on our, and their, strengths and weaknesses. 

Kitsune413

• Major
  • Diamond Khanate Sakhan
« Reply #25 on: 16 January 2018, 15:15:55 »
I suck... INTP

All of my best friends are INTP's. I drive them crazy....