Author Topic: New Hellspawn and Others  (Read 3017 times)

Valkerie

• Captain
  • Gravity always wins.
New Hellspawn and Others
« on: 05 January 2018, 21:15:47 »
Just picked up some fresh minis from IWM.  One of them being the new Hellspawn.  I don't remember seeing any pics of it here yet (apologies if I missed it) so here are a couple.  Plus a comparison shot with the new Uziel and Chimera.  MW4: Mercs was a big favorite of mine, so these guys are getting a Thanatos with them to finish out my MW4 lance. 

To the sculptors: great work gentlemen!  8) 8)

There is no avoiding war; it can only be postponed to the advantage of others.   -Machiavelli

Greetings, Mechwarrior!  You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the frontier against...Oops, wrong universe.  -unknown SLDF Recruiter

Because overkill is underrated my friend.  -John "Hannibal" Smith

Unit/Scheme of the Month Master Index

Luciora

• Major
Re: New Hellspawn and Others
« Reply #1 on: 05 January 2018, 21:39:55 »
Nice shots!  I'll usually only post if asked or if i finish a lance or noteworthy example.   My Hellspawn was included as part of the king crab Davion lance I posted earlier.

chongobongo

• Corporal
« Reply #2 on: 06 January 2018, 00:30:07 »
Very nice . I hope this continues with older mechs getting better sculpts .

agen2

• Captain
  • Il sobillatore.
« Reply #3 on: 06 January 2018, 02:55:45 »
Damn, you awaken my compulsive desire and my wallows cries.

dirty harry

• Lieutenant
  • Make my day
« Reply #4 on: 06 January 2018, 07:30:11 »
Is that LRM hatch still as finicky as the last one?
Needed pliers, an additional strut and lots of glue to get it affixed (and it still managed to break free...). I hope they solved that problem.

Wotan

• Lieutenant
« Reply #5 on: 06 January 2018, 10:44:30 »
Do you have the old minis, too? Maybe you can show some size comparison for each of them?
That would be great.

Valkerie

• Captain
  • Gravity always wins.
« Reply #6 on: 06 January 2018, 11:03:31 »
Is that LRM hatch still as finicky as the last one?
Needed pliers, an additional strut and lots of glue to get it affixed (and it still managed to break free...). I hope they solved that problem.

It has a narrow groove to fit into, which I thought was still a little shallow.  I carved it a little deeper with my exacto knife and then filled it with super glue gel.  I did not need tweezers to set it.  Door is holding fine so far, but I don't know that I would grab it from there.

Do you have the old minis, too? Maybe you can show some size comparison for each of them?
That would be great.

Sadly, I don't have any.  Resculpts only.  However, I would not mind at all if someone who does wishes to share here  :)  I started this topic as I find these types of threads helpful when I'm assembling new minis, or if need some help deciding on what minis to pick up.  Hope someone else finds it helpful as well.
There is no avoiding war; it can only be postponed to the advantage of others.   -Machiavelli

Greetings, Mechwarrior!  You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the frontier against...Oops, wrong universe.  -unknown SLDF Recruiter

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
  • 504th "Gateway" Division
    • There are Monsters in my Sky!
« Reply #7 on: 06 January 2018, 13:37:02 »
Waiting for paint!

I thought the Chimera was the Kuritan version with can-opener; does it come with option arm?

W.
* No, FASA wasn't big on errata - ColBosch
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* To sum it up: FASAnomics: By Cthulhu, for Cthulhu - Moonsword
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

Luciora

• Major
« Reply #8 on: 06 January 2018, 15:46:05 »
Big size difference.

Luciora

• Major
« Reply #9 on: 06 January 2018, 15:46:41 »
Yes.  Has the can opener.

Waiting for paint!

I thought the Chimera was the Kuritan version with can-opener; does it come with option arm?

W.

Valkerie

• Captain
  • Gravity always wins.
« Reply #10 on: 06 January 2018, 15:48:28 »

There are two resculpt models available from IWM that I am aware of.  You're talking about the CMA-2K, but I picked up the standard CMA-1S.

Paint will come...eventually.

Valkerie

• Captain
  • Gravity always wins.
« Reply #11 on: 06 January 2018, 15:49:43 »
Big size difference.

Wow, no kidding.  Thanks for putting that up here.  Glad I got the new one  :)

Wotan

• Lieutenant
« Reply #12 on: 06 January 2018, 16:00:09 »
Thanks for the size compare.
The old one was a bit small for a 45t. But the new one looks a bit too big. Maybe just because of that little brother. Do you have any other 45t mechs for compare?

Valkerie

• Captain
  • Gravity always wins.
« Reply #13 on: 06 January 2018, 16:18:54 »
How's this?  I think it falls in line with them quite well.

Wotan

• Lieutenant
« Reply #14 on: 07 January 2018, 03:16:22 »
Thanks Valkerie - so it just look bit when standing beside his old version.

Domi1981

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #15 on: 07 January 2018, 09:21:05 »
The missile pod tubes look so clean. Have you rebored them?

Valkerie

• Captain
  • Gravity always wins.
« Reply #16 on: 07 January 2018, 09:40:14 »
The missile pod tubes look so clean. Have you rebored them?

Yes I did.  IIRC it was a #56 wire gauge bit that I used.  They were pretty good on their own, but I wanted a little more depth to them.

Domi1981

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #17 on: 07 January 2018, 14:36:04 »
Yes I did.  IIRC it was a #56 wire gauge bit that I used.  They were pretty good on their own, but I wanted a little more depth to them.

See, I knew it. I often do this myself for the very same reason. Reminds me that I have to buy some new safety glasses to protect my eyes from flying debris. 8) No joke. Too many people start working and drilling their minis without protection. One get really rurt oneself with the tiniest bits of metal that fly into eyes.

Stinger

• Freelance Artist
  • Lieutenant
  • Artist, Writer, 3D Modeler Extraordinaire
« Reply #18 on: 08 January 2018, 10:50:40 »
To the sculptors: great work gentlemen!  8) 8)

I did both the Chimera and the Hellspawn, and I have to say thank you! Thank you very much!

I couldn't stand all of the problems with the original Hellspawn sculpt, such as the size, the cockpit being completely wrong, the shoulder launcher not being on the arm, among other things.  I took a ton of screenshots from MW4, found the concept art for the Hellspawn, and used the TRO art to compile this guy, and I think it came out pretty darn good.  Torso might be slightly too large if anything.

As for the scaling, it is actually right in line with the Chimera despite it seeming a little large.  I think that comes down to relatively longer and skinny legs despite it's overall mass.  Makes it look bigger than it actually is.

And lastly, to throw my paint job in with your guys, here is my painted prototype.  It sports a few small differences from the final sculpt, but is overall similar:

Valkerie

• Captain
  • Gravity always wins.
« Reply #19 on: 08 January 2018, 20:29:23 »
I did both the Chimera and the Hellspawn, and I have to say thank you! Thank you very much!

I couldn't stand all of the problems with the original Hellspawn sculpt, such as the size, the cockpit being completely wrong, the shoulder launcher not being on the arm, among other things.  I took a ton of screenshots from MW4, found the concept art for the Hellspawn, and used the TRO art to compile this guy, and I think it came out pretty darn good.  Torso might be slightly too large if anything.

You are most welcome sir, and thank you for your hard work.

And on that Hellspawn note, any other MW4 mechs coming in the near future?  I'll be most happy to help with any fan financing.  ;)

Domi1981

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #20 on: 09 January 2018, 05:11:01 »
I think such a thread should always give potential customers a comparison.
Old:

NEW: