Author Topic: Hammerhead (Clanbuster)  (Read 1324 times)

Liam's Ghost

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Miss Chitty finds your honor rules quaint.
Hammerhead (Clanbuster)
« on: 15 January 2018, 03:36:17 »
Though not really a "Clanbuster" in the normal sense, as it was not built to fight the clans at Tukayyid (or ultimately at all) the first G variant of the Hammerhead is often lumped into the same group. This advanced version of the venerable fighter was originally developed as part of Comstar's naval construction program following the Clan invasion, and was intended to serve as the primary fighter for the planned Yorktown class carrier.

The Hammerhead was chosen as the basis for this new variant due to both its centuries of reliable service and its already well known mobility, being one of the only heavy fighters able match the handling of the Clans' famous Visigoth, even without the use of an extralight engine. Mating this proven airframe with an extralight plant promised to have positively magical results, better than doubling the fighter's potential warload. After much debate, the original autocannon was removed entirely and replaced with a Gauss rifle (in a similar fashion to the old Star League's royal model) as a compromise between granting much needed ranged ability while retaining most of the raw penetrating power of the old gun. Additional large weapons would have required further redesigns of the airframe that would have slowed development, and as such the engineers instead mounted eight medium pulse lasers as secondary weapons, with two covering the fighter's traditionally exposed rear. The total close range firepower these weapons provided in addition to the gauss rifle were expected to ensure that no pilots regretted the loss of their autocannon, and allow the Hammerhead G to hopefully compete against clan fighters like the Sabutai and Jagatai on roughly equal footing.

Unfortunately, it would never be known just how successful the Hammerhead G would have been. The fall of Terra to the Word of Blake ended Comstar's efforts to expand their fleet, and the Hammerhead-G faded into obscurity along with the carrier that was meant to carry it into harms way. Because the design process relied so heavily on simulation, no actual Hammerhead was ever built to these specifications, and its believed that all computer data about the design was lost during the Blakist invasion. The Hammerhead G's designation code was eventually re-assigned to a different Hammerhead variant developed during the Jihad era.

Hammerhead HMR-HG (Clanbuster)
IS TW non-box set
75 tons 
BV: 1,929
Cost: 12,931,531 C-bills

Movement: 7/11
Engine: 375 XL
Heat Sinks: 13 [26]

Structural Integrity: 7
Armor: 206 (Ferro-Aluminum)
                        Armor
-----------------------------
Nose                       76
Left Wing                  50
Right Wing                 50
Aft                        30

Weapon                         Loc  Heat
----------------------------------------
Medium Pulse Laser             RWG     4
Medium Pulse Laser             LWG     4
Medium Pulse Laser             AFT     4
Medium Pulse Laser             AFT     4
Gauss Rifle                    NOS     1

Ammo                           Loc Shots
----------------------------------------
Gauss Rifle Ammo [IS]          NOS     8
Gauss Rifle Ammo [IS]          NOS     8
Good news is the lab boys say the symptoms of asbestos poisoning show an immediate latency of 44.6 years. So if you're thirty or over you're laughing. Worst case scenario you miss out on a few rounds of canasta, plus you've forwarded the cause of science by three centuries. I punch those numbers into my calculator, it makes a happy face.

(indirect accessory to the) Slayer of Monitors!

DOC_Agren

• Major
Re: Hammerhead (Clanbuster)
« Reply #1 on: 15 January 2018, 16:19:57 »
Nice logically full upgrade to the Hammerhead inspired by the HMR-HDb.  But I can see why this wsn't built and instead Comstar pilots went with the HMR-HE.  Easier to upgrade the SHS to DHS, but I might have put a ML in the rear if it was me, just for shaking tails.

But now I have to ask, have you posted what the Comstar Yorktown Carrier might look like?
"For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast, And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed:And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill, And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still!"

Giovanni Blasini

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • And I think it's gonna be a long, long time...
« Reply #2 on: 15 January 2018, 19:20:32 »
Is it just me or is it frustrating that MML doesn't list fuel?
"Does anyone know where the love of God goes / When the waves turn the minutes to hours?"
-- Gordon Lightfoot, "The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald"

Liam's Ghost

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Miss Chitty finds your honor rules quaint.
« Reply #3 on: 15 January 2018, 19:36:24 »
But now I have to ask, have you posted what the Comstar Yorktown Carrier might look like?

I have both it and a missile cruiser intended to operate alongside it generated, but not posted yet.

Is it just me or is it frustrating that MML doesn't list fuel?

It's not just you.
Good news is the lab boys say the symptoms of asbestos poisoning show an immediate latency of 44.6 years. So if you're thirty or over you're laughing. Worst case scenario you miss out on a few rounds of canasta, plus you've forwarded the cause of science by three centuries. I punch those numbers into my calculator, it makes a happy face.

(indirect accessory to the) Slayer of Monitors!

Register