Author Topic: How would you allocate 3 tons of armor to a 20-ton, 9/14/0 MP "Intro" tech Mech?  (Read 544 times)

babayaga

• Recruit
The subject says it all ... almost.

I've been tinkering with slight variations of the 3025 Locust. The Locust has 4 tons of armor, and 3 tons of weapons (which I'd really change into 3 medium lasers, or 2 medium lasers and a flamer). One option is to upgrade its engine from a 160 to a 180, gaining a movement of 9/14/0 at the cost of 1 ton...

... if that ton comes off armor, how would you allocate it?

One crucial thing to note is that I'd put the 3 medium lasers into the head and center torso, so arms or side torsos are really not that useful (side torsos probably want a little armor and one heat sink each so that they don't pass criticals to the center torso too easily). The Stinger and the Wasp have 3 tons of armor each, but ... I feel there are better designs out there. I was thinking of 8 Head, 10/2 CT, 5/2 L/RT, 7 Legs, 0 (ZERO) arms.

What does the collective wisdom of the forum say?

Frabby

• Major
Maximize leg armor. Legs are the second most important location after head, arguably on par with CT and in any case more important than side torsos.

Reduce rear armor to 1 or 0 in all locations, you won't need it. For a lightly armored 9/14 machine it's even less important than arm armor.
Sarna.net BattleTechWiki Admin
Author of the BattleCorps stories Feather vs. Mountain, Rise and Shine, Proprietary, Trial of Faith & scenario Twins

Sabelkatten

• Lieutenant Colonel
Personally I prefer to keep the "feel" of the original and just drop half the MG ammo and half a ton of armor for the bigger engine...

But if you're set on 3 tons armor I'd start with Head 8, CT 10/2 and Legs 7. That's 34 points, 14 for the other locations - Side torsos 3/1 and Arms 3? This way you can survive a PPC anywhere from the front, and even a GR to the CT. The sides can at least stand a ML.