Author Topic: MotW: QKD-** Quickdraw  (Read 12875 times)

sadlerbw

• Captain
Re: MotW: QKD-** Quickdraw
« Reply #30 on: 19 February 2018, 01:05:43 »
You know why might have been neat as a rear weapon on the QKD? And M-pod or two. Same weight as a medium laser or one shot SRM4, but it gets a -1 to-hit and can be real nasty if you try to get too close to backstab. I know the range sucks, but really, how often were we using those rear lasers or SRM effectively beyond 3 hexes anyway?

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • The Temple Grounds - My Roleplaying and History website
« Reply #31 on: 19 February 2018, 03:04:03 »
actually a OS SRM4 is 2.5 tons.

sadlerbw

• Captain
« Reply #32 on: 19 February 2018, 11:18:09 »
actually a OS SRM4 is 2.5 tons.

First off...yeah, I was wrong on the weight. I've been grinding Huntsmen in MWO so my brain defaulted to clan SRM4 weight. That would have been 1.5T so I still should have been wrong. Even an improved one-shot wouldn't have been 1T, so I was just making up numbers because they looked pretty I guess!

Still, having 2.5T to play with is even better! Two rear-facing M-pods and a half ton of armor!

Empyrus

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #33 on: 19 February 2018, 14:29:31 »
2.5 tons of armor is better than wasting time with one-shot weapons, unless you slap 5 front-facing RL-10s for maximum alpha strike.

UnLimiTeD

• Captain
« Reply #34 on: 20 February 2018, 05:45:27 »
We have far too few designs with maximum alpha strike.
I think Rocket launchers would also make for a neat handheld?
Savannah Masters are the Pringles of Battletech.
Ooo! OOOOOOO! That was a bad one!...and I liked it.

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #35 on: 20 February 2018, 09:40:36 »
You certainly could put some Rocket Launchers into a handheld. Beats having refitting the mech to install it.

Both the Axman and the Quickdraw mechs that have the handhelds don't have them. They have like MMLs or LRMs.
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

sadlerbw

• Captain
« Reply #36 on: 20 February 2018, 13:06:56 »
2.5 tons of armor is better than wasting time with one-shot weapons, unless you slap 5 front-facing RL-10s for maximum alpha strike.

I don't disagree with you. I was just trying to think of what an interesting 'modern' interpretation of the rear-facing weapons could be. I'm not saying they are a better choice than more armor, or a forward facing weapon. However, unnecessary rearward-facing firepower is a pretty common quirk of the QKD series, and I thought the M-pod might be an interesting way to 'upgrade' the old ML or SRM while keeping the same flavor.

Empyrus

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #37 on: 20 February 2018, 13:45:50 »
(ER) Medium laser is far more useful as a rear-facing weapon than M-pods. Hell, the SRM is far more useful than an M-pod. If there has to be rear-facing weapons for style, keep them as lasers.
Both range and logistics is at play here, more range is simply better and one-shot weapons are a logistical complication. A laser solves both very neatly.

A one-shot weapon is almost never an upgrade, and one-time potential for high damage is not really useful unless it is enough to breach enemy armor or even cripple them (massed rocket launchers).

Kit deSummersville

• Precentor of Lies
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • The epicness continues!
    • Insights and Complaints on Twitter
« Reply #38 on: 20 February 2018, 14:42:48 »
I always wanted to replace the cockpit with a small cockpit and cram the Zeus' larger laser in the head sideways and make a Quackdraw.
Looking for an official answer? Check the Catalyst Interaction Forums.

Freelancer for hire, not an official CGL or IMR representative.

Everyone else's job is easy, so tell them how to do it, everyone loves that!

Millard Fillmore's favorite BattleTech writer.

Giovanni Blasini

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • And I think it's gonna be a long, long time...
« Reply #39 on: 20 February 2018, 14:52:17 »
I always wanted to replace the cockpit with a small cockpit and cram the Zeus' larger laser in the head sideways and make a Quackdraw.

I've been calling it a Quackdraw since the Battletech 3056 MUSE back in 1992.
"Does anyone know where the love of God goes / When the waves turn the minutes to hours?"
-- Gordon Lightfoot, "The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald"

Alexander Knight

• Peditum Generalis
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
  • O-R-E-O
« Reply #40 on: 20 February 2018, 17:31:29 »
I've been calling it a Quackdraw since the Battletech 3056 MUSE back in 1992.

Jeebus, was it really that long ago?

Giovanni Blasini

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • And I think it's gonna be a long, long time...
« Reply #41 on: 21 February 2018, 00:03:02 »
Yes, yes it was. Scary, ain't it?
"Does anyone know where the love of God goes / When the waves turn the minutes to hours?"
-- Gordon Lightfoot, "The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald"

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • It's just my goth phase
« Reply #42 on: 22 February 2018, 14:32:04 »
The thing I think about the most when I think about the Quickdraw was playing Mechwarrior 2 Mercenaries: Quickdraws were ridiculously easy to kill via headshot- the head location was relatively large and easy to hit, so I'd salvage lots of them mostly intact.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman