Author Topic: Your Favorite Unresolved Mystery that is probably destined to stay that way  (Read 38354 times)

Lord Harlock

• Captain
  • Watching from the Shadows
This. After just 1! line in the second Capellan Solution book we never hear of him again.

Actually, we last heard about him in Patriots and Tyrants. He went underground on New Avalon when Katherine got there in 3061, and no one had heard about him since.

YingJanshi

• Major
  • Switch Friend Code: SW-4326-4622-8514
Ah I see. I haven't read any of the Civil War books.

Initiate of the Order of Valhalla

(HBS: Backer #4,960)
(Clan Invasion: Backer #314)
(Mercenaries: Backer #6,017)

Alex Keller

• Captain
Holy cow, I completely forgot about Young Quintus! My intuition tells me the Developers/Authors did too.

Lorcan Nagle

• 75 tons of heavy metal mayhem
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • We're back, baby!
I know.  It was called Vanish.  That's why I wrote "Katrina Steiner's exile in the Periphery and the recovery of Black Box technology", not the events leading up to her exile that are in Vanish

Given the limited nature of its publication, it's highly possible you didn't see it.  And I was in no way suggesting it resolved the story.

Given the record on mysteries coming to resolution in the BT universe, I'm not betting on it.

This, I feel is an unwarranted statement.  Plenty of mysteries have been resolved, but if FASA/Fanpro/CGL resolved them all, it would take away a big part of why people read the stories.  At any rate, I suspect it's far more likely that there's a confluence of Stackpole's schedule for higher profile work, plus his higher pay rate to blame rather than some nebulous plan on Randall and Herb's part to jerk the fans around.

Battle of Crossing? Hm. Anyone else think this should be the next Historical Turning Point PDF?

IIRC it's covered in Operational Turning Points: Death to Mercenaries!
The moderator formerly known as the user formerly known as nenechan

Natasha Kerensky

• Major
  • Queen of Spades, First Lady of Death, Black Widow
This, I feel is an unwarranted statement.  Plenty of mysteries have been resolved,

My perception is that the number of unresolved mysteries in the universe is multiplying/has multiplied, especially in the era before, during, and after the conclusion of the Jihad storyline.  Just off the top of my head:

-- Origins of the Five and the cabal behind it (Rim Worlders, Wolverines, just Blakists, or all of the above?)
-- Identity of the Master's Protege
-- What the Blakists were after that was buried on Dieron and Luthien
-- Identity of Devlin Stone
-- Identity of Lucifer (and Eve)
-- Final whereabouts and fate of Berith and the bulk of the MD

These come on top of other recent unresolved mysteries, like the identity and motivation of Morgan Hasek-Davion's killer.

And we know that we're going to get more during the Dark Age, like Devlin Stone's disappearance and Fortress Republic.

Your perception may vary.

but if FASA/Fanpro/CGL resolved them all, it would take away a big part of why people read the stories.

This is a matter of opinion -- we'll have to agree to disagree.     

I don't mind if some old mysteries remain unresolved in the background to help flavor the universe.  And to the extent they help drive the plotline, I do want new mysteries to keep me and others coming back.

But I'd rather not have lots of big mysteries central to a story arc that I've become invested in to remain unresolved at the conclusion of that arc.  That's frustrating as a reader (at least to me).

And I especially don't want to be repeatedly teased and prodded about the same mysteries over and over with no resolution throughout that arc, despite the money and time I'm sinking into products.  That's insulting as a customer (at least to me).  I note that other posters in this thread have expressed similar feelings. 

You may feel differently.

At any rate, I suspect it's far more likely that there's a confluence of Stackpole's schedule for higher profile work, plus his higher pay rate to blame rather than some nebulous plan on Randall and Herb's part to jerk the fans around.

I never wrote that anyone had a "plan", nebulous or otherwise, to "jerk the fans around".  But from Katrina Steiner's exile to Morgan Hasek-Davion's killer to many new Jihad mysteries to even more unresolved mysteries to come in the Dark Age, the BattleTech universe does seem impervious to resolution.  So I don't hold out hope on getting a full and unambiguous backstory on Snow Fire.

My 2 C-bills... FWIW.
"Ah, yes.  The belle dame sans merci.  The sweet young thing who will blast your nuts off.  The kitten with a whip.  That mystique?"
"Slavish adherence to formal ritual is a sign that one has nothing better to think about."
"Variety is the spice of battle."
"I've fought in... what... a hundred battles, a thousand battles?  It could be a million as far as I know.  I've fought for anybody who offered a decent contract and a couple who didn't.  And the universe is not much different after all that.  I could go on fighting for another hundred years and it would still look the same."
"I'm in mourning for my life."
"Those who break faith with the Unity shall go down into darkness."

SteelRaven

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Fight for something or Die for nothing
    • The Steel-Raven at DeviantArt
As to the Green Ghost; the group seems to go in so many directions, I'm starting to think that the ghost never had a really thought out origin.
Battletech Art and Commissions
http://steel-raven.deviantart.com

BrokenMnemonic

• Lieutenant
I don't know if I'd count it as my favourite mystery to see resolved, but I'd be very interested to find out what happened on the Prinz Eugen and why.

For all the mysteries that appear to be chafing some people for their lack of current resolution, Catalyst have been giving us answers to some long-standing teasers - ISP3 gave us an answer on what RWR Outpost #27 actually was, for example. And there may well be things due to be resolved in future publications that we just aren't aware of yet - whose to say that some of the Dark Age products or 3250 era products won't give us answers to some of the questions raised?

It's more interesting than optimal, and therefore better. O0 - Weirdo

Lagomorph

• Corporal
The final fate of Paul Masters has always nagged at me. The Knights of the Inner Sphere were destroyed during the Jihad, but would he have not been back on the Clan homeworlds acting as a liason still?

Lorcan Nagle

• 75 tons of heavy metal mayhem
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • We're back, baby!
My perception is that the number of unresolved mysteries in the universe is multiplying/has multiplied, especially in the era before, during, and after the conclusion of the Jihad storyline.  Just off the top of my head:

-- Origins of the Five and the cabal behind it (Rim Worlders, Wolverines, just Blakists, or all of the above?)
-- Identity of the Master's Protege
-- What the Blakists were after that was buried on Dieron and Luthien
-- Identity of Devlin Stone
-- Identity of Lucifer (and Eve)
-- Final whereabouts and fate of Berith and the bulk of the MD

These come on top of other recent unresolved mysteries, like the identity and motivation of Morgan Hasek-Davion's killer.

And we know that we're going to get more during the Dark Age, like Devlin Stone's disappearance and Fortress Republic.

Your perception may vary.

Honest question time: Are all these actual mysteries, and if so, do they need to be resolved?  Do we need to know about, say Lucifer and Eve's background more than we do more of Namaah or Avitue's?

The other thing to consider is that a lot of stuff like that is intended never to be resolved.  They're storytelling hooks for players to build their own narrative around.

This is a matter of opinion -- we'll have to agree to disagree.     

I don't mind if some old mysteries remain unresolved in the background to help flavor the universe.  And to the extent they help drive the plotline, I do want new mysteries to keep me and others coming back.

But I'd rather not have lots of big mysteries central to a story arc that I've become invested in to remain unresolved at the conclusion of that arc.  That's frustrating as a reader (at least to me).

And I especially don't want to be repeatedly teased and prodded about the same mysteries over and over with no resolution throughout that arc, despite the money and time I'm sinking into products.  That's insulting as a customer (at least to me).  I note that other posters in this thread have expressed similar feelings. 

You may feel differently.

I do feel differently :D.  I'm happy with a storyline where the bulk of plots are resolved, but if some stuff is left over that's realistic.

I never wrote that anyone had a "plan", nebulous or otherwise, to "jerk the fans around".  But from Katrina Steiner's exile to Morgan Hasek-Davion's killer to many new Jihad mysteries to even more unresolved mysteries to come in the Dark Age, the BattleTech universe does seem impervious to resolution.  So I don't hold out hope on getting a full and unambiguous backstory on Snow Fire.

My 2 C-bills... FWIW.

I wasn't trying to put words in your mouth, so I really hope you didn't take offense.  I have another question here:  Is your complaint that these mysteries are unresolved, or that they're not resolved to your satisfaction?  I mean, we know that Katrina, Arthur Luvon and Morgan Kell fled the Lyran Commonwealth, posed as pirates, discovered a lostech cache containing Fax Machines, and returned to overthrow Allesandro.  Is that a mystery, or a story you'd like to be fleshed out?  Similarly, we know that Morgan Hasek-Davion's assassin was a Loki agent named Lucas Penrose.  It's possible he was a double agent, but the finger points at Katherine as the person who gave his orders.
The moderator formerly known as the user formerly known as nenechan

Mecha-Anchovy

• Warrant Officer
Historical: Liberation of Terra states on page 21 that evidence gathered by SLIC confirmed that the mining drone involved in Simon Cameron's death had been deliberately tampered with, with the report indicating that a nation-state, probably either the Draconis Combine and Lyran Commonwealth based on geographical location and technical ability, was the most likely culprit, although it also mentions the Rim Worlds Republic as a possibly but unlikely culprit. There's also some commentary from Victor Steiner-Davion expanding on the original message.

I'm entirely aware of that.

Nonetheless, 'who killed Simon Cameron?' is still one of the great unresolved questions of BattleTech. ;)

BrokenMnemonic

• Lieutenant
I'm entirely aware of that.

Nonetheless, 'who killed Simon Cameron?' is still one of the great unresolved questions of BattleTech. ;)
My apologies - given that the first of your two questions was "was Simon Cameron assassinated?" I assumed that you weren't aware of the detail from Liberation of Terra.

It's more interesting than optimal, and therefore better. O0 - Weirdo

mbear

• Stood Far Back When The Gravitas Was Handed Out
  • Major
    • Tower of Jade
Okay. I have both of the NAIS books just never actually read them. Just to painful to see all the hurt my CapCon went through.

Battle of Crossing? Hm. Anyone else think this should be the next Historical Turning Point PDF?

You mean like Operational Turning Points: Death to Mercenaries!   ;)

I'd like to know about cunningham's commandos. That mercenary group that left the Haseks hanging on a mission. Were they ComStar? Clan? Someone else?

Be the Loremaster:

Battletech transport rules take a very feline approach to moving troops in a combat zone: If they fits, they ships.

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your BT experience. Now what? (Thanks Sartis!)

SteveRestless

• Major
How about this one: Why do TPTB feel the need to publish whole BOOKS on things like this and never provide answers?

thirded.

Mystery can be good, but a mystery that is NEVER solved is more frustrating than satisfying. a mystery that is endlessly teased, but never solved is just cruel.
Шонхорын хурдаар хурцлан давшъя, Чонын зоригоор асан дүрэлзэье, Тэнхээт морьдын туурайгаар нүргэе, Тамгат Чингисийн ухаанаар даръя | Let’s go faster than a falcon, Let’s burn with the wolf’s courage, Let’s roar with the hooves of strong horses, Let’s go with the wisdom of Tamgat Genghis - The Hu, Wolf Totem

Degman

• Warrant Officer
I'm pretty sure the Green Ghosts now belong to the RotS.  No one else has access to the combination of tech and would want to launch probing missions in that area of space.  They are probably a collection of lost clanners, WoB defectors, and other malcontents that the RotS controls loosely and funds/equips.  They likely get scant details beyond, go visit system XYZ, break or take what you want and report back.  They're sort of the anti-Fidelis.

This is totally speculative of course

Given that the GGs were first noticed years, if not decades before anyone even heard of RotS I don't think so. Even if they are now part of the rafians I highly doubt that they started like ones, otherwise it'll make for some really deep/ridiculous conspiracy.

StCptMara

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Looking for new Adder skin boots
You know, to those complaining about the BattleTech universe having unsolved mysteries, that have remained unsolved for
hundreds of years, I would like to point out that there are some like that in the Real World.

For example, see the death of Charles XII of Sweden at Fredriksten. To this day, no-one knows where he was shot, where the shot came from, who fired it, etc. Was it one of his own men? Was it one of the defending Norwegian soldiers? Was it a shot fired by someone
else? No-one knows. This is a real world event in 1718. I am sure if you go looking, you will find more Real Life unsolved mysteries
that compare to the ones in BattleTech.
"Victory or Debt!"- The Battlecry of Mercenaries everywhere

"Greetings, Mechwarrior! You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the frontier against---Oops, wrong universe" - Unknown SLDF Recruiter

Reality and Battletech go hand in hand like a drug induced hallucination and engineering a fusion reactor ;-)

Arkansas Warrior

• Lieutenant Colonel
You mean like Operational Turning Points: Death to Mercenaries!   ;)

I'd like to know about cunningham's commandos. That mercenary group that left the Haseks hanging on a mission. Were they ComStar? Clan? Someone else?
Wrong unit.  Cunningham's Commandos were a longtime AFFS merc unit that became the 2nd FSAC before being destroyed in the Jihad.

I think you're thinking of Clinton's Cutthroats.
« Last Edit: 25 January 2013, 11:15:56 by Arkansas Warrior »
Sunrise is Coming.

All Hail First Prince Melissa Davion, the Patron Saint of the Regimental Combat Team, who cowed Dainmar Liao, created the Model Army, and rescued Robinson!  May her light ever guide the sons of the Suns, May our daughters ever endeavour to emulate her!

Niopsian

• Lieutenant
  • I dunno.
I believe a lot of the 'unsolved mysteries' around the Jihad era such as the fate of the Protege, the identity of Lucifer and Eve and the like are because those are major plot points for fiction and the PTB would like to tell them in fiction, not in sourcebook form.

They just haven't had the opportunity. Yet.

...cut a manager in to come up with a plan and the next thing you know you're big in Japan

Natasha Kerensky

• Major
Honest question time: Are all these actual mysteries, and if so, do they need to be resolved?

In my opinion, when they're central to a plot arc, then yes, mysteries to be resolved.  The mystery of the Five is central to the Jihad, yet after ISP3, we are less certain about Jardine's biosphere, inhabitants, and R&D products than we were towards the beginning of the Jihad story arc.  Again, that's frustrating to me as a reader, and as a customer, it makes me feel like a sucker for shelling out dollars for these products.

[Note, I'm not saying that all five of the Five need to be revealed.  If some need to remain hidden to drive future plots, that's fine.  Just don't tease us with an ever-expanding number of explanations for the ones that were revealed and then don't tell us which explanation was true at the conclusion of the story arc.]

Do we need to know about, say Lucifer and Eve's background more than we do more of Namaah or Avitue's?

Given their apparent role in saving Terra from nuclear annihilation, yes, I'd like to know more about Lucifer and Eve.  There would be no Republic of the Sphere or Fortress Republic without Lucifer's sacrifice, and I'd like to understand his motivations and the background that drove those motivations.

The other thing to consider is that a lot of stuff like that is intended never to be resolved.  They're storytelling hooks for players to build their own narrative around.

That's fine.  But there's a difference between a sourcebook that's a random collection of plot hooks, and the plot progression presented in most BT sourcebooks.  If a book is just a random collection of plot hooks with no intended resolution beyond whatever your GM comes up with, that's fine.  Just say so at the front of the book so I know what I'm spending my money and time on.  But if the book (or series of books) is telling a story, then finish the darn story.  Don't leave me hanging after I've invested my money and time.

For example, before the Jihad, the fate of the Wolverines was a mystery in the background of the BT universe.  They were just flavor for the universe and played no active role in the plot.  I was fine with that.

But partway through the Jihad, the Wolverines (or their descendents in the Blood) were presented as possibly the driving force behind the whole story arc.  They're no longer just flavor -- they're potentially the puppetmasters pulling everyone else's strings in the story arc.  After I became invested in the Jihad story arc and the Wolverines as they pertain to the plot, I wanted to know by the end of that story arc, were they really running things or were they just a fabrication created by Uncle Chandy to point the Ghost Bears at the Blakists?

I do feel differently :D.  I'm happy with a storyline where the bulk of plots are resolved, but if some stuff is left over that's realistic.

Again, if new mysteries need to be introduced to drive future story arcs or some old mysteries need to be left unsolved to flavor the universe, that's fine by me.

But don't make a mystery central to the plot, repeatedly tease us about it, and then don't resolve it by the end of the plot.

I wasn't trying to put words in your mouth, so I really hope you didn't take offense.

Thanks.  No worries.

I mean, we know that Katrina, Arthur Luvon and Morgan Kell fled the Lyran Commonwealth, posed as pirates, discovered a lostech cache containing Fax Machines, and returned to overthrow Allesandro.  Is that a mystery, or a story you'd like to be fleshed out?

It's a story that would be nice to flesh out -- it doesn't fall into the category of plot-driving mystery.  What irks me about this particular story is that it sounded like we were going to get that story in Vanish if we bought a certain edition of ToW.  Instead, we just got the prelude to that story.  To me that's symptomatic of the BT universe's inability to bring lots stories to a conclusion, whether they're plot-driving mysteries or just nice-to-haves.

Similarly, we know that Morgan Hasek-Davion's assassin was a Loki agent named Lucas Penrose.  It's possible he was a double agent, but the finger points at Katherine as the person who gave his orders.

I don't know if this is a nice-to-have story or a plot-driving mystery.  It was presented as the latter, but since there's been no follow-up in the Twilight of the Clans story arc or the major story arcs that have followed (FedCom Civil War, Jihad), it may have been the former.  There's no way to know.

[As an aside, the Katherine connection seems like a red herring.  She possessed no clear motivation to kill Morgan.  She was shrewd, and logically, she would have saved her best assassins for her siblings and other clear political rivals -- not a military command on a suicide mission in the Deep Periphery to remove the Clan threat from her side.]

Again, my 2 C-bills... YMMV.
« Last Edit: 25 January 2013, 13:43:09 by Natasha Kerensky »
"Ah, yes.  The belle dame sans merci.  The sweet young thing who will blast your nuts off.  The kitten with a whip.  That mystique?"
"Slavish adherence to formal ritual is a sign that one has nothing better to think about."
"I've fought in... what... a hundred battles, a thousand battles?  It could be a million as far as I know.  I've fought for anybody who offered a decent contract and a couple who didn't.  And the universe is not much different after all that.  I could go on fighting for another hundred years and it would still look the same."

Arkansas Warrior

• Lieutenant Colonel

I don't know if this is a nice-to-have story or a plot-driving mystery.  It was presented as the latter, but since there's been no follow-up in the Twilight of the Clans story arc or the major story arcs that have followed (FedCom Civil War, Jihad), it may have been the former.  There's no way to know.

[As an aside, the Katherine connection seems like a red herring.  She possessed no clear motivation to kill Morgan.  She was shrewd, and logically, she would have saved her best assassins for her siblings and other clear political rivals -- not a military command on a suicide mission in the Deep Periphery to remove the Clan threat from her side.]

Again, my 2 C-bills... YMMV.

I don't know.  Can you imagine Morgan coming back to find Kathy on the FS throne?  If Morgan had lived, I think it likely the FCCW would have begun as soon as Bulldog & Serpent returned.
Sunrise is Coming.

All Hail First Prince Melissa Davion, the Patron Saint of the Regimental Combat Team, who cowed Dainmar Liao, created the Model Army, and rescued Robinson!  May her light ever guide the sons of the Suns, May our daughters ever endeavour to emulate her!

Natasha Kerensky

• Major
For all the mysteries that appear to be chafing some people for their lack of current resolution, Catalyst have been giving us answers to some long-standing teasers - ISP3 gave us an answer on what RWR Outpost #27 actually was, for example.

This is true.

But things like RWR outposts and Canopian mermaids have never been presented as major BT plot drivers.  I could have lived with them remaining background mysteries to flavor the universe.

It's the plot-driving mysteries -- like Jardine or the Blood in the Jihad -- and the ever-expanding explanations about them with no resolution that bothers me.   

At least, that's my opinion.

And there may well be things due to be resolved in future publications that we just aren't aware of yet - whose to say that some of the Dark Age products or 3250 era products won't give us answers to some of the questions raised?

Sure.  It appears that some of the Five will remain hidden to drive future plots.  I'm fine with that.

But don't give me a teaser that hidden worlds are inhabited by Rim Worlders at the outset of the Jihad, evidence that the Manei Domini originated from cybernetic research conducted from a hidden jungle world called Jardine partway through the Jihad, another teaser that the Wolverines/Blood may be guarding Jardine and the other Five halfway through the Jihad, and then end the Jihad storyline with a postscript in ISP3 that Jardine may also have been a toxic (not jungle) world that focused on aerospace (not cybernetic) production, unconnected from another teaser in the same book about Wolverine ruins in the Deep Periphery.

The MD's masters and their apparent connection to Jardine were the major drivers of the Jihad, yet we're just going in circles about their identity, origins, and makeup despite spending a good chunk of change and time on the Jihad sourcebooks.  Again, that's frustrating to me as a reader and customer.

You know, to those complaining about the BattleTech universe having unsolved mysteries, that have remained unsolved for hundreds of years, I would like to point out that there are some like that in the Real World.

Oh, sure.  We don't know what happened to Hitler's body, for example.

But no one wrote a fictional story arc with the disappearance of Hitler's body as the central mystery driving the plot.  [Actually, someone probably has, but I just havn't read it and they probably provided some resolution by the end of the story.]

My 2 C-bills is that if a mystery is presented as driving a plot or story arc, then the mystery should be resolved by the end of that plot or story arc.

I'm fine with other BT mysteries remaining unresolved to flavor the background of the universe or to drive future plots and story arcs.  But the ones that drive the story should see resolution by the end of that story.

I believe a lot of the 'unsolved mysteries' around the Jihad era such as the fate of the Protege, the identity of Lucifer and Eve and the like are because those are major plot points for fiction and the PTB would like to tell them in fiction, not in sourcebook form.

They just haven't had the opportunity. Yet.

External issues have been keeping major new BT fiction at bay for years.  I would hope that folks recognize that reality and fully reveal the major details of story arcs in the sourcebooks because that's the only place they're realistically going to be told for the forseeable future.  Saving major reveals for novels that are always over the horizon seems like a recipe for a lot of broken plots to me.

Again, just my 2 C-bills.  YMMV.
« Last Edit: 25 January 2013, 13:40:35 by Natasha Kerensky »

Natasha Kerensky

• Major
Can you imagine Morgan coming back to find Kathy on the FS throne?  If Morgan had lived, I think it likely the FCCW would have begun as soon as Bulldog & Serpent returned.

I dunno.  Even if Katherine saw Morgan as a major political rival, it doesn't make sense for her to kill him before he's done Katherine's dirty work against the Clans for her.  And if Serpent went south, the Clans would have done Katherine's work on Morgan for her.  Either way, she wants Morgan alive, not dead, until Serpent engages the Jags.

On top of that, if Katherine was going to assassinate a major political rival, the next one after her mother and father was Victor.  If she had just assassinated Victor, then she would have had a legitimate claim to both thrones, and Morgan (or anyone else) would have had no basis to start a civil war.

Katherine was certainly capable of killing family members to fuel her massive megalomania, but it didn't put her out of touch with these kinds of straight forward "if-then" political realities, which she played very well.  Therefore, I think the assassin had to have been hired by someone else, maybe someone seeking to pin blame on Katherine (e.g., someone doing Victor's dirty work without his consent or some Blakist nut seeking to destabilize the FedCom) or someone oppossed to an invasion of the Clan Homeworlds (e.g., Wolf's Dragoons High Command).
« Last Edit: 25 January 2013, 13:38:43 by Natasha Kerensky »

SteveRestless

• Major
You know, to those complaining about the BattleTech universe having unsolved mysteries, that have remained unsolved for
hundreds of years, I would like to point out that there are some like that in the Real World.

For example, see the death of Charles XII of Sweden at Fredriksten. To this day, no-one knows where he was shot, where the shot came from, who fired it, etc. Was it one of his own men? Was it one of the defending Norwegian soldiers? Was it a shot fired by someone
else? No-one knows. This is a real world event in 1718. I am sure if you go looking, you will find more Real Life unsolved mysteries
that compare to the ones in BattleTech

point me at the forums for Real Life, and i'll complain about that stuff there. i've been looking for awhile, but havent found em.
Шонхорын хурдаар хурцлан давшъя, Чонын зоригоор асан дүрэлзэье, Тэнхээт морьдын туурайгаар нүргэе, Тамгат Чингисийн ухаанаар даръя | Let’s go faster than a falcon, Let’s burn with the wolf’s courage, Let’s roar with the hooves of strong horses, Let’s go with the wisdom of Tamgat Genghis - The Hu, Wolf Totem

ColBosch

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Legends Never Die
Heh. Given the amount of arguing over each and every major plot point, I'm really not surprised TPTB have left so many things unanswered. Look at the early arguments over the Word of Blake: half the complaints were that they were too cartoonishly villainous, the other were that they were too competent. But with certain things shrouded in mystery, now gaming groups can decide for themselves what they enjoy in their little corner of the universe without breaking canon (since that seems so important to some).
BattleTech is a huge house, it's not any one fan's or "type" of fans.  If you need to relieve yourself, use the bathroom not another BattleTech fan. - nckestrel
1st and 2nd Succession Wars are not happy times. - klarg1
Check my Ogre Flickr page! https://flic.kr/s/aHsmcLnb7v and https://flic.kr/s/aHsksV83ZP

Hammerpilot IIC

• Master Sergeant
  • The Suns will rise again!
What happens to Stacy Church and the Black Widow Company after the Ruins of Gabriel? She tells Maeve she's working on a "side project" that seems to be involved with Berith's Opacus Venatori, then she's never heard from or seen again. Berith cleansed the Venatori from his ranks on Isesaki just prior to Stacy's last message. We know Berith survives because he leads the remaining Shadow Divisions into hiding. Stacy's whereabouts and the fate of the Widows remain a mystery.

Holy Thread Necromancy, Batman! Sorry for it, but I was curious to see if anyone has an answer to this? Some friends and I just went through Wolf and Blake and it left me wondering if there's been any news about Stacy and her Widows.
7th Crucis Lancers: 2786-3143. You shall be avenged!

Awesome 8Q- "Whoa...Every third PPC is slower..." --MistWolf

zulf

• Sergeant
The biggest mystery for me will always be how the whole Star League fell. I could  understand the league falling apart after Simon's death but not the hegemony. and the amaris stuff is a massive ugly hole with zero realism in my view.

why the clans kept such poor tabs on the IS. seriously how do the sharks not at least set up one shipping company.

I'd like to know more about the belters and their history.

and where humans have been. because at one jump a week it's less than 10 years to the center of the galaxy or the nearest object outside our galaxy.

YingJanshi

• Major
  • Switch Friend Code: SW-4326-4622-8514
The biggest mystery for me will always be how the whole Star League fell. I could  understand the league falling apart after Simon's death but not the hegemony. and the amaris stuff is a massive ugly hole with zero realism in my view.

why the clans kept such poor tabs on the IS. seriously how do the sharks not at least set up one shipping company.

I'd like to know more about the belters and their history.

and where humans have been. because at one jump a week it's less than 10 years to the center of the galaxy or the nearest object outside our galaxy.

Have you read the two Liberation of Terra books and First Succession War? They give about the best view we've ever had of that time period.

(And if you still don't like the fall of the SL, check out the "Empires Aflame" pdf TPTB released last year. Or if also the "Shattered Dawn" AU over on OurBattleTech.com; some pretty good stuff there, especially for a fan created product.)

Initiate of the Order of Valhalla

(HBS: Backer #4,960)
(Clan Invasion: Backer #314)
(Mercenaries: Backer #6,017)

ColBosch

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Legends Never Die
The thread is about unsolved mysteries, not complaining about things we don't like. The collapse of the Terran Hegemony and Star League are very well-explained and are based upon - though they do not directly copy - historical events. We also know why the Clans didn't have more agents in the Inner Sphere: they wanted isolation, and after the SLDF-in-Exile determined that no-one was following them, they deliberately broke off observation efforts.

As for the Belters and human expansion past the limits shown in Interstellar Players 3, that's less a mystery and more "room to grow."
BattleTech is a huge house, it's not any one fan's or "type" of fans.  If you need to relieve yourself, use the bathroom not another BattleTech fan. - nckestrel
1st and 2nd Succession Wars are not happy times. - klarg1
Check my Ogre Flickr page! https://flic.kr/s/aHsmcLnb7v and https://flic.kr/s/aHsksV83ZP

Talen5000

• Lieutenant
    • Handbook: Smoke Jaguar
Another mystery  - at least, one I don't know the outcome of - is what happened the survivors of Clan Nova Cat. Last I read, there was a convoy which was supposedly intending to travel to the Clan Protectorate to meet up with the Spirit Cats but that it was overdue by about three years
"So let me get this straight. You want to fly on a magic carpet to see the King of the Potato People and plead with him for your freedom, and you're telling me you're completely sane?" -- Uncle Arnie

sadlerbw

• Captain
Another mystery  - at least, one I don't know the outcome of - is what happened the survivors of Clan Nova Cat. Last I read, there was a convoy which was supposedly intending to travel to the Clan Protectorate to meet up with the Spirit Cats but that it was overdue by about three years

Not 100% answered, but FM:3145 does mention that Nova Cat refugees 'from the Republic' have been making their way to the Clan protectorate in marik space, and that there is actually a unit, the First nova Cat Provisionals, made up of Nova Cat's that have made their way to the protectorate. It doesn't specifically mention the convoy, but it does say Nova Cat refugees have been showing up there.

ANS Kamas P81

• Colonel
  • Reimu sees what you have done.
Sounds like the convoy dispersed and took roundabout routes, and has just been trickling in.
Der Hölle Rache kocht in meinem Herzen,
Tod und Verzweiflung flammet um mich her!
Fühlt nicht durch dich Jadefalke Todesschmerzen,
So bist du meine Tochter nimmermehr!

Register