Author Topic: Raven Alliance: Enemy Of Your Enemy (And Still Your Enemy!)  (Read 177624 times)

Jaim Magnus

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Assisting you and your enemies equally.
Re: Raven Alliance: Enemy Of Your Enemy (And Still Your Enemy!)
« Reply #30 on: 14 May 2013, 18:05:01 »
I don't even know anymore.
BattleCorps - Righteous Fury, Sorrow of Eden, Lady of Steel, I Was Lost, Forsaken : Legacy - The Forgotten Places : Shrapnel - Scavenger's Blood : ELH Chronicles - View from the Ground : Shrapnel - It Ends in Fire, Picking the Bones

St.George

• Lieutenant
  • there's nowhere to run
« Reply #31 on: 15 May 2013, 04:32:37 »
2 or 3 cents the big crash.They haven't picked up any pace,nor slowed down.I wounder if the Snow Ravens are "looked down" on for such?  ;D
"Smoke em' if ya got em' boys,,,We're goin' in"

Neufeld

• Captain
  • Raven, Lyran, Horse, Capellan, Canopian, Bear
« Reply #32 on: 15 May 2013, 05:21:00 »
Ha! This is at least the fifth thread.
Former ones:
- Raven Roll Call! http://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,82.0.html
- Snow Raven Fleet Base http://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,7618.0.html
- Snow Raven Anchorage: Any Port in a Storm http://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,15185.0.html
- Raven Alliance: Peace Through Superior Backstabbing http://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,24218.0.html

"Real men and women do not need Terra"
-- Grendel Roberts
"
We will be used to subdue the Capellan Confederation. We will be used to bring the Free Worlds League to heel. We will be used to
hunt bandits and support corrupt rulers and to reinforce the evils of the Inner Sphere that drove our ancestors from it so long ago."
-- Elias Crichell

Fatebringer

• Major
  • 138th Mechanized Infantry The Chicago Division
« Reply #33 on: 15 May 2013, 08:42:48 »
And that's just on this board :)

Star Captain Jared Siegel ~ Clan Snow Raven Forum
"If every mech was built like in MWO, we'd all be carrying ammo in our feet..."

Rainbow 6

• Captain
« Reply #34 on: 15 May 2013, 09:17:17 »
Man we yak a lot.

Jaim Magnus

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #35 on: 15 May 2013, 09:18:17 »
Which is all the more impressive considering the size of our fanbase.
BattleCorps - Righteous Fury, Sorrow of Eden, Lady of Steel, I Was Lost, Forsaken : Legacy - The Forgotten Places : Shrapnel - Scavenger's Blood : ELH Chronicles - View from the Ground : Shrapnel - It Ends in Fire, Picking the Bones

adamhowe

• Warrant Officer
  • Star Commander Adam Howe
« Reply #36 on: 15 May 2013, 09:19:08 »
Man we yak a lot.

At least we don't smell like one.

Rainbow 6

• Captain
« Reply #37 on: 15 May 2013, 09:24:06 »
At least we don't smell like one.

I'm working a 12 hour night shift later, 6am tomorrow i might be doing a reasonable impression  :(

Fatebringer

• Major
« Reply #38 on: 15 May 2013, 10:28:09 »
Well, we got the members needed to start up the Jackdaws :) Ravens will be flocking to the skies with our new RP setting :) Anyone else of course is still welcome to come join us or just watch.

Fatebringer

• Major
« Reply #39 on: 15 May 2013, 13:01:08 »
The new forum for the Jackdaws is getting updated to the new Proboards V5 system. After that, I will see what it's like and then test to see what this site looks like under V5.

Fatebringer

• Major
« Reply #40 on: 15 May 2013, 14:20:39 »
After playing around on the new setting for a while, it's definately worth upgrading our main page. Just hope I can do it right, not like a certain Shark we know  ::)

St.George

• Lieutenant
  • there's nowhere to run
« Reply #41 on: 15 May 2013, 14:50:58 »
Yak as in the animal?Or in just the physical sense?  :D

After 12 hours,I'd think that smelling of yak would be better than fish.But then again I've never smelled a yak before.  ;D

Fatebringer

• Major
« Reply #42 on: 15 May 2013, 15:17:44 »
ClarkeMarek took over the Unkindness when Matthias passed and we lost the forum in an update. It wasn't his fault per se, but I love to mess with him over it ;) You can usually find him trolling the Off-Topic / Mechwarrior Hall threads ;)

Fatebringer

• Major
« Reply #43 on: 15 May 2013, 15:36:54 »
Our forum has been upgraded, first thing I noted, I have to change the color of the links so we can see them :P But for the most part, things look the same. Functionality is greatly increased and I will look into fading out the background from solid back to something with a lower gradient so that we can see the Conqueror in the background.

Tai Dai Cultist

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #44 on: 15 May 2013, 17:52:17 »
Here's some topics other than the metatopic of the thread itself.

ER3145 mentions how the Ravens are drawing their warships out of mothballs and rearming.

#1: Is this a failure on the leadership's ability to anticipate the chaos?  I mean, if you're going to go to war against one neighbor (or potentially both) wouldn't it have been better to already have the ships ready to go prior to initiating hostilities... or was it in the cards all along to start things off slow and leave majority of the fleet in mothballs so as not to rile up the enemies?

#2: Are the Ravens' warships going to remain viable in this era as anything more than a strategic deterrent, especially with the devs' push away from warships in fluff since the Jihad?  It's been said more than once that the swan song on warships has been sung however, so is a declaration of the end of the warship premature?

Jaim Magnus

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #45 on: 15 May 2013, 17:55:35 »
1.  They started pulling the warships out of mothballs in 3135... a decade before the era report.  So not really short-sighted.

2.  Warships are ideal for home defence.  They may be too valuable to expend on offensive operations, but I believe any invaders would have to think twice knowing that there are 17 warships kicking around the Raven Alliance at any time.

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Clan Hells Horses 666th Mech. Assualt Cluster
« Reply #46 on: 15 May 2013, 18:18:18 »
So just build a defensive Star with one WS and 4 Comitatus armed with Titan Monitors.

TT
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse
That is, if true tanker doesn't beat me to it. He makes truly evil units.Col.Hengist on 31 May 2013
TT, we know you are the master of nasty  O0 ~ Fletch on 22 June 2013
If I'm attacking you, conventional wisom says to bring 3x your force.  I want extra insurance, so I'll bring 4 for every 1 of what you have :D ~ Tai Dai Cultist on 21 April 2016
Me: Would you rather fight my Epithymía Thanátou from the Whispers of Blake?
Nav_Alpha: That THING... that is horrid
~ Nav_Alpha on 10 October 2016

Fatebringer

• Major
« Reply #47 on: 15 May 2013, 18:22:57 »
Back to the PWS huh? Got I hate those :P Sure it's cost effective compared to creating a new Warship, but the answer to a PWS swarm is to engage with an ASF Swarm...

Back to the questions. Jaim really addressed this well. We don't seem to come off as a Clan OZ, but a Clan Periphery Nation meaning like the Periphery Nations, we'll be out of most of the actions since it is so easy to justify leaving our faction out of anything by saying it's politics. :P

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Clan Hells Horses 666th Mech. Assualt Cluster
« Reply #48 on: 15 May 2013, 18:45:44 »
Like the saying goes... " Smoke 'em if ya got 'em. " or in this case: use what you have access to.

TT
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse
That is, if true tanker doesn't beat me to it. He makes truly evil units.Col.Hengist on 31 May 2013
TT, we know you are the master of nasty  O0 ~ Fletch on 22 June 2013
If I'm attacking you, conventional wisom says to bring 3x your force.  I want extra insurance, so I'll bring 4 for every 1 of what you have :D ~ Tai Dai Cultist on 21 April 2016
Me: Would you rather fight my Epithymía Thanátou from the Whispers of Blake?
Nav_Alpha: That THING... that is horrid
~ Nav_Alpha on 10 October 2016

ShadowRaven

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #49 on: 15 May 2013, 21:01:54 »
I think the warship fleet will remain viable. Ship to ship combat, even in the clans was such a rarity, that they where generally used for system defence anyway. Lum had two stars attached to it for that purpose, and I suspect the RA will follow suit, with stars guarding our key planets. I would like to see us build another 3 ships at least, to round out our numbers, 8 would be ideal if we built the majority of those as destroyer sized and used them as patrol craft to jump system to system. With the size of the RA we could have a fleet no more then two jumps away from anywhere on our border much of the time if we based one fleet at Dante. 
We are Clan Snow Raven. Masters of the void, and reapers of your souls

befriend (v.): to use mecha-class beam weaponry to inflict grievous bodily harm on a target in the process of proving the validity of your belief system.
— From a post on rpg.net

St.George

• Lieutenant
  • there's nowhere to run
« Reply #50 on: 16 May 2013, 04:21:24 »
I agree(but then again,I would) to rounding out the fleet to 20/25 ships,leaving 5 stars to protect the RA.3 stars would have somewhat offensive ability's for deterrence.1 or 2 of the 8 ships you've proposed would be Capitol ships(levy's,why?because we can)to stop the next clan invasion,which should start in the next era or 2(IMHO).  ;D
I also agree with your assessment for the smaller ships,as well as screening and fast attack flankers.This to me would give some faith in a balanced fleet that could cover what the Clan must.
If the PWS issue is still prevalent,I'd take a big step ahead'.A star of PWS for each ship.Yes,yes I know it might sound crazy.But 5 WS with 25 PWS would make anyone "hold ah'turn"(as we say in the biz)and that's not even talkin' about the fighters in their bays,,,,,,,one word,stagering.
And lets face it,we still can fight 2 naval conflicts at once,and any  naval force to threaten' the Clan would be,,,,,,well,Clan.  ::)

Fatebringer

• Major
« Reply #51 on: 16 May 2013, 08:45:49 »
Very well said. I think someone was pointing out that we had a new Nightlord in the previous thread...

Tai Dai Cultist

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #52 on: 16 May 2013, 09:37:10 »
Very well said. I think someone was pointing out that we had a new Nightlord in the previous thread...

Yeah, Er3145 said the Ravens sold their Potemkin(s) to the Sharks for big honkin' warships.  Sharks don't need ridiculous firepower, and Ravens don't need to move around much anymore.  Win/win!

Rainbow 6

• Captain
« Reply #53 on: 16 May 2013, 09:41:15 »
Our forum has been upgraded, first thing I noted, I have to change the color of the links so we can see them :P But for the most part, things look the same. Functionality is greatly increased and I will look into fading out the background from solid back to something with a lower gradient so that we can see the Conqueror in the background.

So just had a look and it looks shiny, only one problem its not giving me an option to log in?

Fatebringer

• Major
« Reply #54 on: 16 May 2013, 10:41:10 »
Yeah, Er3145 said the Ravens sold their Potemkin(s) to the Sharks for big honkin' warships.  Sharks don't need ridiculous firepower, and Ravens don't need to move around much anymore.  Win/win!

This is sad. :( I'd rather have a Potemkin than a Nightlord :( They're better in every way.

Fatebringer

• Major
« Reply #55 on: 16 May 2013, 10:42:32 »
So just had a look and it looks shiny, only one problem its not giving me an option to log in?

Click the link up top for the forum's main page, if it's forcing you to sign in as a guest, make sure you delete your cookies for Proboards. I was having that issue trying to sign in as admin :P

Vition

• Sergeant
« Reply #56 on: 16 May 2013, 10:58:34 »
This is sad. :( I'd rather have a Potemkin than a Nightlord :( They're better in every way.

It was not all of them, Ravens traded 3 Potemkin and a Volga for a Nightlord, 2 Essex, and a Fredasa.  So the Ravens still have 2 Potemkin.

Meow Liao

• Warrant Officer
  • The PPC Kitty
« Reply #57 on: 16 May 2013, 11:56:11 »
That is the trade we made?  No wonder the clan's backside was hurting.   >:(

I would reave everybody associated with that trade, kill their offspring, and burn down their favorite eating establishments. 

There better be a few million tons of hardware going to the Ravens along with those ships.

Meow Liao

Have some plum wine with that PPC.

Rainbow 6

• Captain
« Reply #58 on: 16 May 2013, 12:26:52 »
Click the link up top for the forum's main page, if it's forcing you to sign in as a guest, make sure you delete your cookies for Proboards. I was having that issue trying to sign in as admin :P

Cookies cleared but no link showing to log in or to register a new account for that matter  :'(

Fatebringer

• Major
« Reply #59 on: 16 May 2013, 14:58:38 »
OH, you just might not be seeing it, it's very feint. I have to change the colors being used. Just under the header to the right side.

Register