Author Topic: Getting Started with Against the Bot  (Read 163585 times)

BrokenMnemonic

• Lieutenant
Re: Getting Started with Against the Bot
« Reply #30 on: 04 September 2014, 07:21:47 »
If you want more videos on how to use MekHQ, ThomasMarik has a few videos up on his youtube channel.

Let's MegaMek Season 0 (Started before AtB was implemented and thus slightly outdated, but he does take time to explain stuff)
Let's MegaMek with the FWLM (Uses AtB, but less room for explaining. I highly suggest you watch the link above first)

These vids helped me to get a grip on MekHQ. :)
Excellent, thank you - that'll give me something to watch while I eat dinner. I could be playing MegaMek by the end of the evening!

It's more interesting than optimal, and therefore better. O0 - Weirdo

BrokenMnemonic

• Lieutenant
« Reply #31 on: 04 September 2014, 07:45:18 »
Battles are generated automatically every Monday, the chances that there will be a battle any given week varies depending on the campaign type. "Advance Day" to each Monday until a battle appears under the contract details (called scenarios.) Beside the battle will be a date, you have to advance to that day. Once on that day, you can select that battle (scenario) and now in the middle section you'll see the details of the battle, if you go down the scroll bar there you'll see the victory conditions, keep these in mind because you will need to do "/victory" or "/defeat" command in MM when those conditions are met. Above the scenario details you should be able to select "Start Game," if not you need to deploy your force manually, this will generally only happen for two reasons. Either you got two battles that week and it auto-deployed you to the later battle, or it's a battle that allows restricted units and your lance dose not qualify, generally it requires only one Mech/MechWarrior. Unfortunately these battles are bugged because you have to manually deploy the singe unit from the TO&E tab, but doing it that way can create several problems, do so at your own risk.
How do you deploy your forces manually? I noticed that the only battles I was getting were those listed as special events, including one where bizarrely it had one of my Tech's salvaging a Highlander from a Star League cache and due to fight three veteran MechWarriors in light 'Mechs. If a lance has to be 3-6 units, I'm not sure how you could deploy a single unit...

RahTol

• Sergeant
« Reply #32 on: 04 September 2014, 09:09:48 »
How do you deploy your forces manually? I noticed that the only battles I was getting were those listed as special events, including one where bizarrely it had one of my Tech's salvaging a Highlander from a Star League cache and due to fight three veteran MechWarriors in light 'Mechs. If a lance has to be 3-6 units, I'm not sure how you could deploy a single unit...
Sorry, right-click on the lance/unit in the TO&E, deploy is one of the options if there is a battle available.
I was thinking of something much more basic than that - basically, being able to select a damaged unit, and say "go to the market and try and order all the replacement bits" so that if, say, I lose an arm on one of my 'Mechs, I don't have to root around manually ordering the arm, the armour, the weapons and actuators... although I may just be lazy ;)
It's not too far from that. If you have a damaged Mech and you goto the Repair Bay, just above the list of repairs needed you'll see a tab "Acquisitions" this will list the parts you need for that mech/vee and you can order them from there.

BrokenMnemonic

• Lieutenant
« Reply #33 on: 04 September 2014, 10:51:50 »
There appears to be an issue with the 1978 release and resolving battles. See the thread at http://bt.dylanspcs.com/mercs/showthread.php?tid=444 for more details. Page 2 includes a download link the the r1970 build which seems to be working OK for now.

I'd also suggest watching that thread for any notification from Raglith as to a newer build.
I've just got home and tried to download the 1970 build, but I'm getting a 404 error - are you still hosting it, perchance?

BrokenMnemonic

• Lieutenant
« Reply #34 on: 04 September 2014, 10:55:51 »
Sorry, right-click on the lance/unit in the TO&E, deploy is one of the options if there is a battle available.It's not too far from that. If you have a damaged Mech and you goto the Repair Bay, just above the list of repairs needed you'll see a tab "Acquisitions" this will list the parts you need for that mech/vee and you can order them from there.
Thanks again for the explanations, I'll go and have a play now :)

Dohon

• Corporal
  • Beware the bear!
« Reply #35 on: 04 September 2014, 13:27:16 »
I've just got home and tried to download the 1970 build, but I'm getting a 404 error - are you still hosting it, perchance?

If you still have trouble with it, try this link:

http://www.gamefront.com/files/24455167/MekHQ_0_3_6_DEV_r1970_rar

I'll be taking it down once a new custom version is released.

Drewbacca

• Major
  • What could have been...
« Reply #36 on: 04 September 2014, 14:19:09 »
I have a contract and I am on sight. How do I go about fighting?

BrokenMnemonic

• Lieutenant
« Reply #37 on: 04 September 2014, 14:51:42 »
If you still have trouble with it, try this link:

http://www.gamefront.com/files/24455167/MekHQ_0_3_6_DEV_r1970_rar

I'll be taking it down once a new custom version is released.
Thank you :)

Rogue

• Private
« Reply #38 on: 04 September 2014, 16:43:28 »
Seems the file name length was causing a problem. The updated link is http://www.hilton.id.au/mekhq-0.3.6-dev-r1970-dylan-windows.zip

RahTol

• Sergeant
« Reply #39 on: 04 September 2014, 17:27:19 »
I have a contract and I am on sight. How do I go about fighting?

Battles are generated automatically every Monday, the chances that there will be a battle any given week varies depending on the campaign type. "Advance Day" to each Monday until a battle appears under the contract details (called scenarios.) Beside the battle will be a date, you have to advance to that day. Once on that day, you can select that battle (scenario) and now in the middle section you'll see the details of the battle, if you go down the scroll bar there you'll see the victory conditions, keep these in mind because you will need to do "/victory" or "/defeat" command in MM when those conditions are met. Above the scenario details you should be able to select "Start Game," if not you need to deploy your force manually, this will generally only happen for two reasons. Either you got two battles that week and it auto-deployed you to the later battle, or it's a battle that allows restricted units and your lance dose not qualify, generally it requires only one Mech/MechWarrior. Unfortunately these battles are bugged because you have to manually deploy the singe unit from the TO&E tab, but doing it that way can create several problems, do so at your own risk.

Drewbacca

• Major
« Reply #40 on: 04 September 2014, 18:18:05 »
Well, I must be doing something wrong or missing something because I went from June 3067 to March 3068 without combat. And I ran out of cash so I could not even reach my next contract.

RahTol

• Sergeant
« Reply #41 on: 04 September 2014, 19:59:45 »
Did you do this part?

Once you arrive, it should be the same day the contract actually starts, you need to go back to the "Briefing Room." In the lower middle you should see the name of the contract with some red numbers "0/1" or so to the right of the contract name. Below that will be a list of your Lances, if you click on the "Roll" column you'll get a drop-down there (should start as "Unassigned") now assign them how you want to fill all the "Roles" that have a red number under them, when the forces needed for that role have been filled the number will change to black, you are now ready to actually begin the game.

You ran out of money? Did you have any units in the TO&E when you accepted the contract? I'm not sure what that would do as far as getting battles goes, but it would mean you accepted a contract that paid nothing.

Drewbacca

• Major
« Reply #42 on: 05 September 2014, 01:06:04 »
I can't even set lances.

Rogue

• Private
« Reply #43 on: 05 September 2014, 01:30:13 »
I can't even set lances.
Create your starting company.
Go to TO&E tab
Left-click 'My Campaign' to highlight it, then right-click and select 'Add New Force'
Name the force and click OK
Save your campaign, exit & restart MekHQ, reloading your save.

You should now see the force under My Campaign in TO&E. Adding new forces works without the save & restart, it's only the first one that seems to not display properly. You can now assign units to each force (lance) by first left-clicking to highlight the force, then right-clicking and selecting Add New Unit.

BrokenMnemonic

• Lieutenant
« Reply #44 on: 05 September 2014, 01:38:18 »
Thanks to all the help and advice here, I managed to get it running last night, and fought my way through my first battle. My first battle wasn't a huge amount of a fun - chase (attacker) with my Locust, Stinger and two Valkyries versus 6 armoured vehicles, mostly hovercraft, a Wasp and Locust, in Heavy Fog, on a Moonless Night. The jumpers basically slogged up the two mapsheets while the Locust tried to run two hexes a turn with everything in the world shooting at it.

I need to watch more videos on using MegaMek, because oddly while it/MekHQ tracked the damage on the Locust (which, bizarrely, made it off the map missing left and right torsos and arms) and on the two salvaged units, it didn't track the damage on my other units - which was mostly armour damage, and I think one damaged weapon. I dug through the logs and used the GM mode to add the damage back in on the hangar deck, but I think I maybe missed an option.

Next battle is hold the line, with my Fire Lance taking on another half dozen vehicles headed up by a veteran Archer and a veteran Warhammer. This could be messy.

Drewbacca

• Major
« Reply #45 on: 05 September 2014, 02:13:25 »
Create your starting company.
Go to TO&E tab
Left-click 'My Campaign' to highlight it, then right-click and select 'Add New Force'
Name the force and click OK
Save your campaign, exit & restart MekHQ, reloading your save.

You should now see the force under My Campaign in TO&E. Adding new forces works without the save & restart, it's only the first one that seems to not display properly. You can now assign units to each force (lance) by first left-clicking to highlight the force, then right-clicking and selecting Add New Unit.
Thanks.

Rogue

• Private
« Reply #46 on: 05 September 2014, 02:45:42 »
Thanks to all the help and advice here, I managed to get it running last night, and fought my way through my first battle. My first battle wasn't a huge amount of a fun - chase (attacker) with my Locust, Stinger and two Valkyries versus 6 armoured vehicles, mostly hovercraft, a Wasp and Locust, in Heavy Fog, on a Moonless Night. The jumpers basically slogged up the two mapsheets while the Locust tried to run two hexes a turn with everything in the world shooting at it.
I would suggest turning off either weather or lighting in the Campaign Options under the Against The Bot tab. Having both enabled seems to cause an abnormally high frequency of adverse conditions. Having just one enabled gives you a fighting chance.

Also The Chase is probably the toughest mission given the bot starts right on top of you.

Random

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #47 on: 05 September 2014, 05:32:33 »
................while the Locust tried to run two hexes a turn with everything in the world shooting at it.

This is where the 'Reckless' piloting option is worth using.  As long as the pilots 'piloting' is 4 or so it'll get you out of trouble in that sort of situation.

Drewbacca

• Major
« Reply #48 on: 05 September 2014, 10:45:42 »
Got my first battle in, and I won. Now what?

Snimm

• Lieutenant
« Reply #49 on: 05 September 2014, 13:52:50 »
Click Done on MegaMek until MekHQ begins the after battle process.  It should be pretty self-explanatory, but if not, feel free to grill us.
Need help getting started with Against the Bot in MekHQ?  Click here to get yourself up and running!

http://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=41494.msg957784#msg957784

RahTol

• Sergeant
« Reply #50 on: 05 September 2014, 22:52:07 »
Got my first battle in, and I won. Now what?
I'm not fully sure what your asking, AtB victory conditions are NOT implemented, so you need to use the /victory or /defeat commands when one side meets their goal (if it's you it's /victory) it's best if you have your MM options set to "skip all phases on forced victory" (or something like that, second tab on the  options.) Then as Snimm said just finish the battle (if you initiated inside MHQ) and it should be pretty self-explanatory. Most things show up as far a kills and salvage go, but if you have a unit that got some kills then was destroyed themselves then MHQ will forget they got the kills, so you need to select them manually. Also, it dose not recognize kills that are not technically 'kills' (ie. disabling a mech/vee and forcing the AI to eject or a mech that killed it's self trying to stand when your the reason it was prone in the first place) so you will also want to assign those kills manually. To do that you just click on the "Killed by" box next to the appropriate unit and select you unit that should be credited with the kill. Note here, if you kill off one bot so it exits the game before you win sometimes MHQ will forget about all their unit and wont credit you for the kills (allot of times you'll have you're enemy and they will have reinforcements, if you kill off one side or the other completely before Victory has occurred MHQ will disregard all those units killed and the salvage option for them.)

Other then that you should be all set, you'll need to repair and reload ("repair bay" tab in MHQ and I hope you have mechanics and Mech Techs, and purchased armor and ammo with your starting funds.) Then just wait till the next Monday to see if you have another battle. It's allot more interesting if you have an imagination and can make up sort of a story line for what's happening! (you can 'edit' scenarios and put in descriptions and AAR's, it's a great tool for making it more of a 'campaign' and less a series of random fights, which is actually what it is.)

BrokenMnemonic

• Lieutenant
« Reply #51 on: 06 September 2014, 13:23:50 »
If I capture enemy personnel, and they appear in my personnel roster as prisoners (rather than vanishing) does that mean they've defected?

RahTol

• Sergeant
« Reply #52 on: 06 September 2014, 13:46:03 »
If you have the option turned on in campaign options AtB tab it's called "Random Enemy Capture" it will tell you in the daily report section if people defect (so-and-so was added to your roster as a Prisoner then the next line would say, you have convinced so-and-so to defect.) Unfortunately, as the name implies, it is random, so some mechwarriors you actually capture during the battle might register as escaped and vise-verse. If you do not have that option selected it dose not tell you who defects and will consider captured anyone who did not actually flee or was piloting a functional mech/vee at the end of the battle.

BrokenMnemonic

• Lieutenant
« Reply #53 on: 08 September 2014, 02:29:48 »
Thank you - that puts my mind at rest that people who join my roster as prisoners aren't going to run away with any 'Mechs I assign them ;)

Playing the campaign through MekHQ is starting to feel comfortable now, although some parts have been a little frustrating. A couple of things seem a little arcane - I had a 'Mech where the shoulder took a critical hit, so I needed a replacement arm, but I couldn't replace the arm until I'd salvaged all of the other components out of that arm. Working out how to do that took a certain amount of creative swearing and right-clicking through various fields and options.

I've found that MekHQ is only tracking the battle results some of the time - I'm guessing that's the bug that was flagged up earlier. Some battles it tracks without problems, and it lets me select salvage, tracks damage on my 'Mechs and the like; others it doesn't, and I have to recreate it manually as I go through. I'm a little confused as to why it's not forgetting/remembering consistently - it makes me suspect that it's something I'm doing, but I'm not quite sure what.

I don't know if this is unusual, but I'm finding that most of the battles involve almost no long-range combat at all - even Bot units that are primarily LRM-boats are rushing to close with me, and between startups, maps and enemy movement, I'm hardly using the LRM racks on my own 'Mechs. My poor scout lance consists of a pair of Valkyries, a Locust and a Stinger, and the Valkyries spend most of their time jumping around trying to stay out of kicking range of 'Mechs 10-20 tons heavier while taking shots of opportunity with their medium pulse lasers. It's felt almost hilarious to be facing down four enemy 'Mechs (topping out with a Centurion and a Trebuchet) along with eight tanks of various kinds with just my four scout 'Mechs...

One thing I'm convinced of is that Bot-controlled House allies are like sheep, in that they spend their entire time looking for ways to die. I think I've lost slightly more than half of the ones that've deployed alongside my troops - although there was a FedCom officer piloting an UrbanMech who charged a Hunchback for some unknown reason, and actually survived.

I've picked up a couple of random bonuses from certain missions, and they've been very... random. One let me recruit a new member of staff, and another presented me with a brand-new 'Mech... a primitive WAM-B Firebee. I don't think there were exactly a lot of those made, so I've no idea where the Bot found one to give me, but I'm not sure the reformed prisoner I assigned to pilot it was completely thrilled with that turn of events... Can I get a higher than average sale price for selling it to Snorrd's Irregulars? Or maybe a museum? It seems a shame to let it get shot up...

NickFayon

• Recruit
« Reply #54 on: 08 September 2014, 04:09:59 »
Greetings to everyone!
Just started playing AtB campaign and found out about resolving battles problem. The issue is that I have a mac and the MekHQ mac version is only the latest, which is currently bugged. I wonder if anyone can give me a link to 1970 mac version.

Thanks in advance.

RahTol

• Sergeant
« Reply #55 on: 08 September 2014, 05:57:20 »
Playing the campaign through MekHQ is starting to feel comfortable now, although some parts have been a little frustrating. A couple of things seem a little arcane - I had a 'Mech where the shoulder took a critical hit, so I needed a replacement arm, but I couldn't replace the arm until I'd salvaged all of the other components out of that arm. Working out how to do that took a certain amount of creative swearing and right-clicking through various fields and options.

Yes, shoulder hit's are very annoying, honestly what I generally do is GM "edit mech damage" (right-click the mech in the Hanger tab) then remove the arm from my warehouse. Hip hits work the same way.

I've found that MekHQ is only tracking the battle results some of the time - I'm guessing that's the bug that was flagged up earlier. Some battles it tracks without problems, and it lets me select salvage, tracks damage on my 'Mechs and the like; others it doesn't, and I have to recreate it manually as I go through. I'm a little confused as to why it's not forgetting/remembering consistently - it makes me suspect that it's something I'm doing, but I'm not quite sure what.

What version are you using? r1978, I tried repeatedly and never had a battle resolve properly at all. r1970 the only problem with resolving I've encountered is the one stated above about eliminating one side completely prior to the end of battle (which can be worked around by using MM to 'join' the game as that player, though it's rather annoying because you have to switch MM tabs to hit done.) If you're using r1970 I believe you are correct that it's something you are doing, but like you I have no idea what, though you may try dedicating more memory to MHQ. (search the forum for how, it's been explained many times)

I don't know if this is unusual, but I'm finding that most of the battles involve almost no long-range combat at all - even Bot units that are primarily LRM-boats are rushing to close with me, and between startups, maps and enemy movement, I'm hardly using the LRM racks on my own 'Mechs.

Unfortunately that is not unusual, it's a limitation of the bot, it cannot adjust behavior on a per-unit basis. If you want, you can separate the 'long-range' units into another bot and adjust the bot setting (lower 'berzerker' and up 'self-preservation' should work.) However, trust me, it's much less annoying to get charged by a catapult who then is only able to use his med lasers then to have a Jenner run around at extreme range taking 12-to-hit pop shots at you and forcing you to take 12-to-hit shots at them, that makes for a LONG and boring battle.

One thing I'm convinced of is that Bot-controlled House allies are like sheep, in that they spend their entire time looking for ways to die. I think I've lost slightly more than half of the ones that've deployed alongside my troops - although there was a FedCom officer piloting an UrbanMech who charged a Hunchback for some unknown reason, and actually survived.

Always, and I mean always, set you're 'allies' to "Cowardly" bot behavior, that may be a form of cheating, but it's about the only way they will survive. I've had an ally so set on getting it's self killed that it swam around in a lake going from depth 1 to depth 2 water for 5 turns before it finally managed to fail a pilot roll and drown...

Just started playing AtB campaign and found out about resolving battles problem. The issue is that I have a mac and the MekHQ mac version is only the latest, which is currently bugged. I wonder if anyone can give me a link to 1970 mac version.

You might try this forum,
http://bt.dylanspcs.com/mercs/forumdisplay.php?fid=51
But I suspect if no-one can provide you a copy here you may be SOL until Ralgith releases a fixed version, which will be an unknown amount of time do to rl.

BrokenMnemonic

• Lieutenant
« Reply #56 on: 08 September 2014, 06:46:20 »
Yes, shoulder hit's are very annoying, honestly what I generally do is GM "edit mech damage" (right-click the mech in the Hanger tab) then remove the arm from my warehouse. Hip hits work the same way.
I wish I'd thought of that - I'll try that in future. Although, annoyingly, I can't buy replacement endo steel components during my campaign. I'm kind of thinking that a six-month planetary assault against regular forces may not have been the best place to start.[/quote]

What version are you using? r1978, I tried repeatedly and never had a battle resolve properly at all. r1970 the only problem with resolving I've encountered is the one stated above about eliminating one side completely prior to the end of battle (which can be worked around by using MM to 'join' the game as that player, though it's rather annoying because you have to switch MM tabs to hit done.) If you're using r1970 I believe you are correct that it's something you are doing, but like you I have no idea what, though you may try dedicating more memory to MHQ. (search the forum for how, it's been explained many times)
I'm running 1978 at the moment, as I wasn't sure if the save files from 1978 would be compatible with 1970. 1978 worked perfectly for the first five or six battles, then didn't work for three more, worked in the next battle (in which I had my first unit member killed), then didn't work in the one after.[/quote]

Unfortunately that is not unusual, it's a limitation of the bot, it cannot adjust behavior on a per-unit basis. If you want, you can separate the 'long-range' units into another bot and adjust the bot setting (lower 'berzerker' and up 'self-preservation' should work.) However, trust me, it's much less annoying to get charged by a catapult who then is only able to use his med lasers then to have a Jenner run around at extreme range taking 12-to-hit pop shots at you and forcing you to take 12-to-hit shots at them, that makes for a LONG and boring battle.
Yeah, I can believe that. I limited myself with the units I purchased originally to what seemed thematically appropriate based on Xotl's tables, and because of the Tech upgrades I bought when setting up my unit, I didn't have a lot of choice 'Mech-wise. It's not too bad with 'Mechs like the Griffin, but my Valkryies should maybe have been Firestarters instead. I had my main tech refit my Axman to the -1N variant, because he just wasn't getting to use the LRMs.

Always, and I mean always, set you're 'allies' to "Cowardly" bot behavior, that may be a form of cheating, but it's about the only way they will survive. I've had an ally so set on getting it's self killed that it swam around in a lake going from depth 1 to depth 2 water for 5 turns before it finally managed to fail a pilot roll and drown...
Thanks for the tip, I'll do that tonight. I can completely believe the bot did that - I think the only reason the Urbanmech charged a Hunchback is because there wasn't a Berserker on the battlefield to try and melee with!
I'm due to head off on holiday soon, and I think I'm going to stick MHQ on a memory stick so that I can play it on my netbook while I'm away. It definitely makes playing through the AtB campaign faster, now that I'm over the initial pain of starting up a unit and learning the basics. Although I'm eyeing the upcoming retirement roll nervously - I can't tell from MekHQ if it's still a case of rolling 4 or less on 2d6 results in someone retiring, but I might field-promote everyone just in case. I'm playing an ex-Steiner unit, so it fits to have everyone in the unit promoted to two ranks higher than their actual level of competence...

RahTol

• Sergeant
« Reply #57 on: 08 September 2014, 08:34:19 »
I don't know how MHQ dose retirement exactly, you need to have that option selected in campaign options, I think they follow the AtB rules for end of contract rolls only. However, I have no idea how it decides on pay-out amount. I had a vet demand a 13 mil payout, while my entire VALUE was around 15 (I start with a much smaller force then AtB rules call for,) so, um, NO.
I strongly advise saving prior to finishing the contract and keeping the "GM Mode" on so you can edit pay-out amounts (look up the rules and figure it out manually, cause I'm pretty sure the mod dose not calculate properly.)

MarauderD

• Major
« Reply #58 on: 08 September 2014, 11:55:02 »
I'm on  a recon raid mission, but the mission won't end even after I've followed the victory conditions:

I was supposed to go to the eastern map edge and stay there for two turns, then return to western map edge. I did that, but the scenario won't end. did I do something wrong?

jh316

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #59 on: 08 September 2014, 11:59:48 »
I'm on  a recon raid mission, but the mission won't end even after I've followed the victory conditions:

I was supposed to go to the eastern map edge and stay there for two turns, then return to western map edge. I did that, but the scenario won't end. did I do something wrong?

Please read this thread before asking questions, this has been answered twice. It does not automatically end the scenario, you have to use /victory or /defeat.