Author Topic: manga time so what are you reading now? (Links may be NSFW)  (Read 130652 times)

HobbesHurlbut

• Captain
  • Live Free or Die Hard
Re: manga time so what are you reading now? (Links may be NSFW)
« Reply #450 on: 24 August 2017, 06:50:54 »
...Cow Girl? I hope that has to do with her profession.....
Clan Blood Spirit - So Bad Ass as to require Orbital Bombardments to wipe us out....it is the only way to be sure!

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #451 on: 24 August 2017, 11:00:34 »
I finished reading most of the MuvLuv manga series,  Muvluv, Muvluv Unlimited and Alternate (mostly).
Essentially, its very different from what I've seen of the anime.
Manga is based on started as a love triangle/our main male characters, a childhood friend and heiress.  It's normal school comedy essentially, until in Unlimited he wakes up in alternate universe.  Outside of his intact room and ruined house is that the city of Yokahama is in ruins. Everyone he knows doesn't know him.  One of his friend doppelganger is a girl instead of a boy. His class mates are all soldiers cadets to fight invasion by the Beta (Barbaric Extra Terrestrial Aliens).  Our young hero isn't soldier, but he manages to convince his teacher who instructor at let him join this training base and that he is from another universe. In the original world, she is infact a scientist who was taking a break and was doing teacher gig.  Here she scientist / instructor and just as crazy/smart. 

Essentially, the story goes on main character life on this alternate world, trying make due since he isn't sure he could back. Basically he tries help out where he can.  His life playing a video game mecha game gives him better hand coordination abilities his fellow cadets. 

Muvluv Alternates is Ground Hog day.  Our main character survives 3 years and dies with rest of humanity who was left behind by colonist effort save some people. His chosen wife survives with a child.  However for some reason he returns to back where he started but he has 3 years of experiences and his physical body is combat able.  He has to relive his time when he arrived from his old world, but begins alternate the course of events.    He soon finds out, nature of his being in the past and possiblity to return to his original world and get key perhaps save humanity of this world.

Its alot better than anime, i didn't like the horror aspect of the BETA.  Fan service is toned down in Alternate, but its more apparently in the earlier unlimited which is a self-contained story.

I didn't think i liked it, but it good.
« Last Edit: 25 August 2017, 06:13:55 by Wrangler »
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

elf25s

• Major
« Reply #452 on: 25 August 2017, 15:08:34 »
ok since i am sick and my friend dropped off ALL dead tree editions of blade of the immortal some in japaniese and english guess who is going to be reading all that this weekend?
you sure cannot out run death...but sure as hell you can make that bastard work for it!

Top Sergeant

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Major
  • Swamp Angels Mercenary Regiment
« Reply #453 on: 25 August 2017, 16:02:26 »
...Cow Girl? I hope that has to do with her profession.....

Yes, she works on a farm.  :D
We hear that there are tumults and riots in Rome, and that voices are raised concerning the army and the quality of our soldiers. Make haste to reassure us that you love and support us as we love and support you, for if we find that we have left our bones to bleach in these sands in vain, then beware the fury of the legions.

kato

• Captain
« Reply #454 on: 26 August 2017, 00:40:22 »
Essentially, its very different from what I've seen of the anime.
The manga is closely based off the original (h) visual novel from 2003 - which runs the same way.

The anime is based off of the spinoff Total Eclipse novel adaption by Enterbrain, which takes on the setting of Alternative with a new cast. The Muv-Luv Alternative manga was actually written after the Muv-Luv Alternative: Total Eclipse novel series started. Total Eclipse mangas were published too, with a second manga series for that (Total Eclipse: Rising) coming when the first anime series aired.

elf25s

• Major
« Reply #455 on: 30 August 2017, 13:00:42 »
re read frankenfran...
still puts a little smirk on what passes for my face... ;D
you sure cannot out run death...but sure as hell you can make that bastard work for it!

elf25s

• Major
« Reply #456 on: 31 August 2017, 14:09:50 »
re reading complete elfein lied...
loved the music from the anime made it into a doorbell chime for my daughters godparents

Matti

• Major
  • In Rory we trust
« Reply #457 on: 01 September 2017, 14:47:40 »
re reading complete elfein lied...
How does it compare with anime? Better? Worse? Which one was first?
You know what they say, don't you? About how us MechWarriors are the modern knights errant, how warfare has become civilized now that we have to abide by conventions and rules of war. Don't believe it.

Lazarus Jaguar

• Captain
  • Stop! Hammer Time!
« Reply #458 on: 01 September 2017, 15:11:27 »
I just read volume 22 of Attack on Titan, and from here I think I'm starting to see the direction the story's end will take.

Guessing it will involve Eren having to defeat Zeke to use the Coordinate.  That's my call

I think they said in 2014 the story would end in 3 years.  So should be over soon.

You know, I love that every day in Japan is like a very peaceful game of RIFTs. - MadCapellan

around here, April Fools day is Serious! Business!

HobbesHurlbut

• Captain
  • Live Free or Die Hard
« Reply #459 on: 02 September 2017, 08:31:46 »
That was quite a development in Tomo.
Clan Blood Spirit - So Bad Ass as to require Orbital Bombardments to wipe us out....it is the only way to be sure!

elf25s

• Major
« Reply #460 on: 02 September 2017, 09:55:49 »
How does it compare with anime? Better? Worse? Which one was first?
its more charater driven  has a longer story few things that never made to anime since anime was made before series ended but it is a good read.

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #461 on: 02 September 2017, 22:00:21 »
I recently came across what i suspect is very old manga.  I think it came out in the 1960s. It's authorized adaption of Ian Flemming's 007 novels Live and Let Die, Thunderball, On Her Majesty's Secret Service, and The Man with the Golden Gun.  I perhaps am guilty having never read Mr. Flemming novels. However the manga certainly draws a different picture of the events I knew from the movies.   I've only read couple chapters but it's certainly interesting with some dark twists of humor in there.
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants

Matti

• Major
  • In Rory we trust
« Reply #462 on: 03 September 2017, 11:06:29 »
That was quite a development in Tomo.
At least one couple is going somewhere. Carol has the guy in the hook now, let's see will she reel him in like her mother did.
You know what they say, don't you? About how us MechWarriors are the modern knights errant, how warfare has become civilized now that we have to abide by conventions and rules of war. Don't believe it.

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #463 on: 03 September 2017, 14:21:39 »
At least one couple is going somewhere. Carol has the guy in the hook now, let's see will she reel him in like her mother did.
Isn't she related to him though? I thought he was a cousin.

HobbesHurlbut

• Captain
  • Live Free or Die Hard
« Reply #464 on: 03 September 2017, 16:45:27 »
Yeeeeeah..... #P   Some of the states allow such things as well in the USA. Had to look it up because of a comment.

Matti

• Major
  • In Rory we trust
« Reply #465 on: 03 September 2017, 22:59:00 »
I thought they were already engaged for marriage ???

Matti

• Major
  • In Rory we trust
« Reply #466 on: 04 September 2017, 13:20:56 »
Carol was going for it! But then mom comes to interrupt >:(

Oh, that's right! She wants to keep Carol for herself!

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #467 on: 10 September 2017, 22:36:41 »
I've been following a manga named Tsuki ga Michibiku Isekai Douchuu which is translated as "Moon-led Journey Across Another World".

Yes. Its one those Another World themed ones, but this is bit more...twisted in a way. it's comedy, fantasy, but the hero who was summoned to server the Goddess of this world was REJECTED by her, utterly dropped on edge of the world. Fortunately the god who had relayed him from the Earth world, made sure he was enhanced enough to survive.

I've read number chapters and so far it's a fun series read for the comedy aspect of it. The stories so far have been clever. 
« Last Edit: 11 September 2017, 10:35:24 by Wrangler »

elf25s

• Major
« Reply #468 on: 11 September 2017, 09:09:18 »
damn i really have t go through a lot of the stuff i hae

uzumaki
and the live movie based on the manga
have too say it movie was done better than some of the blockbusters with huge budgets...

Matti

• Major
  • In Rory we trust
« Reply #469 on: 11 September 2017, 11:31:49 »
I've been following a manga named Tsuki ga Michibiku Isekai Douchuu which is translated as "Moon-led Journey Across Another World".

Yes. Its one those Another World themed ones, but this is bit more...twisted in a way. it's comedy, fantasy, but the hero who was summoned to server the Goddess of this world was REJECTED by her, utterly dropped on edge of the world. Fortunately the god who had relayed him from the Earth world, made sure he was enhanced enough to survive.

I've read number chapters and so far it's a fun series read for the comedy aspect of it. The stories so far have been clever.
I have mentioned this one few times before. It is something different, all right. Main character, Makoto, was supposed to be a hero to save the world, but as Wrangler says above... Makoto holds serious grudge about that and his goal is to punch the goddess. Characters are great. One is a big dragon with ability to read memories and takes huge interest to Makoto's memories. Then she changes shape to a human, starts doing samurai cosplay, and goes on to nearly uncontrolled rampage to promote Japanese culture from the Edo period. Fans of the (translated) Web novels joke that building a Japanese style hot springs bath ("HOT SPRINGS!") was her top priority and killing a fellow dragon was a side quest.

I have but one major complaint: this story (Web novel, light novels, manga...) pander to wish fulfillment of Japanese otaku, where male lead is approached by a number of undesirable women and never gets laid >:(

Siden Pryde

• Warrant Officer
  • Papermaster
« Reply #470 on: 13 September 2017, 18:44:05 »
Picked up the first three volumes of Jojo's Bizarre Adventure at the local book shop yesterday.  Lovin it.  O0

HobbesHurlbut

• Captain
  • Live Free or Die Hard
« Reply #471 on: 12 October 2017, 12:38:58 »
Tomo-chan. Oh my goodness. The latest chapter....
Jin: Tomo, wake up.
Tomo: Huh?
You said to get some rest...
Jin: Explain this.

iamfanboy

• Captain
« Reply #472 on: 17 October 2017, 21:08:27 »
I have but one major complaint: this story (Web novel, light novels, manga...) pander to wish fulfillment of Japanese otaku, where male lead is approached by a number of undesirable women and never gets laid >:(
Isn't that a healthy portion of the mid-late Gate stuff, too? Itami has picked up a tidy harem by now and hasn't 'picked one' as it were - the scene with Itami and Rori in the quarantine room was hilarious but DID kind of bring up that question somewhat forcefully...

I recently read all of Flying Witch and it's pretty good. I was immediately struck by the idea of magical flying whales with ancient ruins atop them and no one really knows who lived there. And it was just a one chapter thing, a little bit of whimsy in a manga full of whimsy.

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #473 on: 18 October 2017, 05:57:53 »
It's bit hybrid manga/Webcomic,  4 Cut Hero, fantasy-ish adventure comedy.  I just caught up with chapter 86. This guys blends Tex Avery wit with shounen comedy.  It's pretty hilarious.  Sadly part of it is pay to view but earlier ones are free to view which is cool.

HobbesHurlbut

• Captain
  • Live Free or Die Hard
« Reply #474 on: 18 October 2017, 08:38:05 »
It's bit hybrid manga/Webcomic,  4 Cut Hero, fantasy-ish adventure comedy.  I just caught up with chapter 86. This guys blends Tex Avery wit with shounen comedy.  It's pretty hilarious.  Sadly part of it is pay to view but earlier ones are free to view which is cool.
Um....it has been brought up a couple times in this thread  ;D

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #475 on: 18 October 2017, 15:45:58 »
Um....it has been brought up a couple times in this thread  ;D
I know, thought i mention it since there more chapters added for free section of the website that hosts it.

Dies Irae

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #476 on: 27 October 2017, 23:55:08 »
Stumbled on the animated ad for Hataraku Saibou (Cells at Work) entirely by accident and ended up picking up the manga. It's a cute little semi-educational manga about anthropomorphized human cells maintaining body functions.

Unfortunately, I also can no longer see white corpuscles as anything besides tiny overly intense sociopathic knife murderers now.
« Last Edit: 27 October 2017, 23:57:36 by Dies Irae »

HobbesHurlbut

• Captain
  • Live Free or Die Hard
« Reply #477 on: 28 October 2017, 06:51:05 »
Unfortunately, I also can no longer see white corpuscles as anything besides tiny overly intense sociopathic knife murderers now.
Yeah that explain the autoimmune syndrome just as well. Cross one little signal....and the psycho cells start attacking your other cells.

kato

• Captain
« Reply #478 on: 28 October 2017, 09:00:40 »

I'll always see them as one-man hover vehicles with antibody bomb bays...

HobbesHurlbut

• Captain
  • Live Free or Die Hard
« Reply #479 on: 24 November 2017, 09:42:29 »
Just read the latest chapter(s) (25.1 and 25.2) of It's My Life.

It is rather rainy today.

Register