Author Topic: Fragged (Ongoing Writings and an Index of Sigil's Works)  (Read 56847 times)

DOC_Agren

• Major
Re: Fragged (Ongoing Writings and an Index of Sigil's Works)
« Reply #180 on: 04 November 2016, 22:56:00 »

George Lucas' original draft of Phantom Menace where Jar Jar Binks was the hero?

Dear God NO, BURN IT!!!!!
Bring on Darth Jar Jar
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8yy3q9f84EA
"For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast, And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed:And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill, And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still!"

Sigil

• Lieutenant
Re: Through a Mirror Dimly - Chapter 18
« Reply #181 on: 15 February 2017, 08:02:33 »
He strode up to Mez Wallace, extending his hand.  “I’m Major Loran Jaffray.  I’m forming a new unit within the Highlanders, the Northwind Hussars.  It will be a dedicated anti-Clan unit, taking the fight directly to the Clans on their own worlds.  I understand you pilot a Union-C class DropShip.  My unit is put together following the Clan organizational structure and I’m looking for a DropShip for my regimental command trinary and a Captain who won’t back down from anything or anyone.  Know anybody who might be interested?”

How nice to discover I've left Mez a huge hook.  I was thinking about his character for the past couple of days and considering picking up his tale.  I got around this morning to seeing exactly where I'd left off with and much to my surprise, he's set up perfectly.  Serendipity or good planning, I'll take either.

ckosacranoid

• Lieutenant
« Reply #182 on: 20 February 2017, 22:22:01 »
cool, your back. does this mean we can look forward to more of your work soon...please!!!!!!
nice to see your back from the dead....or at least limbo.

snakespinner

• Captain
« Reply #183 on: 21 February 2017, 02:06:03 »
Limbo?? Has Sigil been away doing the Limbo. :D
I wish I could get a good grip on reality, then I would choke it.
Growing old is inevitable,
Growing up is optional.
Watching TrueToaster create evil genius, priceless...everything else is just sub-par.

Sigil

• Lieutenant
« Reply #184 on: 25 July 2017, 21:39:18 »
My latest project is now in BETA release. It's a research work entitled "Unseen", that covers the history of FASA, Battledroids, BattleTech and also explores the legal issues surrounding the property. The timing is beyond ironic. It includes a few never before seen photos including the original "proof-of-capability" sculpt Ral Partha submitted to FASA. And the rest, as they say, is history.
« Last Edit: 10 August 2017, 04:43:31 by Sigil »

Sigil

• Lieutenant
« Reply #185 on: 14 November 2017, 13:54:33 »
I'm pleased to announce the release of my latest fan-produced project entitled "Unseen:  A History of FASA, Battledroids and BattleTech."
You can download it via the link at the bottom of the Sarna.net page:
http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Unseen:_A_History_of_FASA,_Battledroids_and_BattleTech

Dave Talley

• Major
« Reply #186 on: 14 November 2017, 15:48:40 »
 ;)
Resident Smartass since 1998
“Toe jam in training”

Because while the other Great Houses of the Star League thought they were playing chess, House Cameron was playing Paradox-Billiards-Vostroyan-Roulette-Fourth Dimensional-Hypercube-Chess-Strip Poker the entire time.
JA Baker

snakespinner

• Captain
« Reply #187 on: 15 November 2017, 01:57:28 »
Downloaded, Thanks. O0
Growing up is optional.
Watching TrueToaster create evil genius, priceless...everything else is just sub-par.

DOC_Agren

• Major
« Reply #188 on: 15 November 2017, 12:31:42 »
Very nice

but no Halloween story this year   :(

or more stories of the stories of Sigil's Clint Rose
"For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast, And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed:And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill, And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still!"

Sigil

• Lieutenant
« Reply #189 on: 15 November 2017, 13:36:45 »
Very nice

but no Halloween story this year   :(

or more stories of the stories of Sigil's Clint Rose

The thought crossed my mind but I only made it as far as the basic story line.  I keep trying to get back to the fiction writing by my other BT projects just keep consuming all of my time.  :(

PeacMaker03

• Corporal
« Reply #190 on: 15 November 2017, 15:58:00 »
 Speaking for my greedy self, I am more than happy to consume anything that you produce storywise or other BT products.
 A Very nice product with Unseen, congratulations on another great product.

Sigil

• Lieutenant
« Reply #191 on: 15 November 2017, 18:20:38 »
Rumor has it I'm now working on TRO: 3048 Eve of Armageddon. 

DOC_Agren

• Major
« Reply #192 on: 16 November 2017, 14:29:17 »
The thought crossed my mind but I only made it as far as the basic story line.  I keep trying to get back to the fiction writing by my other BT projects just keep consuming all of my time.  :(
Well...  :-\   keep up the good work

Rumor has it I'm now working on TRO: 3048 Eve of Armageddon. 
i'm interested

ckosacranoid

• Lieutenant
« Reply #193 on: 16 November 2017, 15:13:36 »
we need more stories of rose, even if anyeveyone thinks she was blown up in the one chapther, she needs to come back under someone else to fight the word of blank. how manys times is a clint a cool mech. kinda weird how like everyone loves the urbenmech so much cause it sucks.

Sigil

• Lieutenant
« Reply #194 on: 16 March 2019, 05:50:47 »
The Liberator - Part 1

Federated Suns
Crucis March
New Avalon

The First Prince of the Federated Suns ran his hands through his short-cropped hair in exasperation.  Mountains of reports piled all across the massive antique hardwood table that served as his workspace.  It seemed as if one errant move could set off a terrifying cascading avalanche from which there could be no recovery.  His late father, Andrew, had requested that he receive a hard copy right alongside the electronic copy for each and every critical report he received.  This was the result.

He had succeeded in excavating down to the actual wood surface yesterday, creating a small canyon where he could actually work.  He took small comfort from the fact that the paper towers surrounding him were thick enough that they could likely stop a projectile weapon and all but entirely concealed his presence in the room when he was seated.

The truth was, however, the paper system his father had used simply wasn’t going to work for him.  It was too cumbersome, too voluminous and worst, it made it painfully obvious just how far behind he was in keeping abreast of the latest developments in his realm.

He had made one interesting discovery, though.  Scattered throughout the piles, which seemed organized in some manner that he had yet to discover, were a number of brightly colored folders trimmed in gold.  The color represented the five Great Houses of the Inner Sphere:  Ruby for House Kurita, Emerald for House Liao, Sapphire for House Steiner, Amethyst for House Marik and Gold for his own House.

The reason they were so flamboyantly marked was that they were classified Top Secret and often marked with an additional Code Word.  While they were not, perhaps, the most important reports they were, by far, the most interesting and he had taken to cherry-picking through the piles for them once he’d had his fill of the stultifying reports from the Ministry of Ways and Means and the Ministry of Education.

It was, upon reflection, perhaps the single redeeming attribute of his father’s system, making it obvious at a glance both where and how many Top Secret reports were waiting to be read.  His hand snaked into a nearby pile, adroitly slipping out an amethyst folder.  The front predictably proclaimed, “Top Secret,” and was followed by a single word, “Emancipator.”

As he opened it, a full-page grainy image of a BattleMech slipped out.  His eyes narrowed and brow furrowed as his examined the war machine.  He was a trained MechWarrior, a graduate of the Albion Military Academy right here on New Avalon.  He had gotten that far at least before his father had passed away and the reigns of the State had descended on him.  His face cracked a smile as the sights, smells and sounds of piloting one of the war machines washed over him. 

He was not suited for diplomacy or statecraft.  He was warrior, a soldier and a leader.  He knew it.  All of his instructors knew it.  By rights, he should have been commanding a front-line ‘Mech regiment right now instead of drinking tea and reading reports even drier than the accompanying biscuits.  What good was being First Prince if it didn’t allow you a piece of the action?

His eyes focused once again on the poor quality image.  He had studied every BattleMech design still found among the armies of the Inner Sphere and even old historical holovids of the advanced machines used by the vaunted Star League Defense Force before their abrupt disappearance almost 250 years ago.

Yet, he had never seen this design before.  The torso was unusually slender with what appeared to be a dual short-range missile rack perched vertically atop the left torso.  The arms were gangly, hanging down just below the knee actuator and it carried matched five-tube missile launchers mounted on each forearm.  Both arms featured fully articulated hand actuators.  The torso itself was similar to that of a Grasshopper in that a large weapon port dominated the center, likely a heavy laser port given the lack of a barrel required by ballistic weapons.  The overall impression was rather insectoid.  There were no visible jump jet exhaust ports and if the Galleon tank in the background of the image was any indication of scale, it was likely on the low end of the Medium-class range.

He flipped the page.

TOP SECRET: EMANCIPATOR
Department of Military Intelligence
MI2 – Analysis and Speculation
10 March 2999
Prepared by:  Leftenant Colonel Amraz Hindari

Executive Summary:

Background:
Prior to its destruction during the First Succession War, Kali Yama Weapons Industries Incorporated produced the Wasp, Hunchback, Trebuchet and Orion at its headquarters on Kalidasa.  Originally, a part of the Free Worlds League, the Lyran Commonwealth captured the facility during the First Succession War and it remained nominally under Lyran control until the FWLM launched Operation Killing Stroke in 2952 when it was successfully retaken by the FWLM along with a number of other worlds.  Most recently, Kalidasa was attacked by the LCAF in 2997 in a reprisal for the FWLM attack on Hesperus II.

The Kali Yama industrial center serves as a BattleMech repair facility and supply depot and remains capable of manufacturing spare parts for the models it once produced.  Kalidasa also supports light industry, mineral extraction and petroleum refining operations.  It is part of the relatively new Silver Hawks Coalition, a mutual defense pact created by the Concord of Danais in 2966 within the Free Worlds League.  It is garrisoned by the Gryphons, a BattleMech regiment attached to the Silver Hawk Irregulars, the provincial force of the Coalition.

The Silver Hawks Coalition has been funneling millions of Eagles annually to both Kali Yama Weapon Industries and Technicron Manufacturing on Savannah.  Savannah is 50 light years spinward and is also located within the boundaries of the Coalition.  These two industrial centers provide logistical support to the Silver Hawk Irregulars.  Due to the fractious nature of the Free Worlds League and the Home Defense Act of 2906, the vast majority of provincial forces remain stationed at or near their home worlds and are problematic for the Captain-General to mobilize in support of large offensive operations.

Engineers from Irian Technologies, based on Irian and the location of the massive Soapstone Mountain plant, have been consistently sighted at the Kali Yama facility over the past two decades.  Soapstone Mountain originally produced both the Hermes II and Awesome BattleMechs.  However, due to its proximity to the Lyran border, by the end of the Second Succession War the facility was all but destroyed.  Irian Technologies’ second BattleMech production facility located on Shiro III, originally a Capellan-owned plant, suffered a similar fate during the fighting between the Free Worlds League and the Capellan Confederation.  At its peak, the Shiro II facility had lines for the Wasp, Hermes II, and Stalker.  As with both the Kali Yama and Technicron facilities, the industrial sites remain incapable of manufacturing a full BattleMech but continue to produce spare parts for the models they once built and as a repair facility and supply depot.

Current Activity:
There is evidence to support that engineers from Defiance Industries were able to partially restore functionality to the Star League era COMCore computer system that originally operated Kali Yama’s industrial center.  This work occurred during the time Kalidasa was under the control of the Lyran Commonwealth (Appendix I).  Since that time, there have been additional reports suggesting that through the combined efforts of Kali Yama, Technicron and Irian Technologies engineers, full functionality has been restored to the COMCore system, including the possibility that previously lost technology has been extracted from it (Appendix II).

Recent activity at the site of Kali Yama’s manufacturing center, notably the appearance of an unknown BattleMech prototype, suggest at least one of the previously defunct assemblies lines may have been returned to operational status (Appendix III).  There are also reports that a number severely damaged Hermes II chassis have been shipped to Kalidasa along with a number of functional Hermes 240 fusion power plants (Appendix IV).  The existence of this prototype suggests Kali Yama has recently developed the capacity to research new BattleMech designs and possesses the necessary technical, engineering and manufacturing capability to build a prototype of such a design. 

Threat:
The ability to construct new BattleMechs would fundamentally alter the balance of the Inner Sphere.  Currently, it is believed that none of the Great Houses have the capability to build an entirely new BattleMech.  Furthermore, the capacity to design a BattleMech, or even significantly alter an existing design, would be a watershed moment in the Inner Sphere.  If one of the Great Houses can reactivate even a single BattleMech assembly line, their ability to replace BattleMech losses would be increased significantly.  If multiple assembly lines could be reactivated within a relatively short time period, the House possessing them would have a significant military advantage over its enemies.

Such a capability is almost certain to result in a major military offensive and possibly even lead to the creation of entirely new BattleMech formations.  Any House lacking this capacity will continue to find their number of operational BattleMechs diminishing through simple attrition, compounded by combat losses.  This leaking away of BattleMechs has been at a relatively constant rate that is consistent across all of the Great Houses resulting in the current situation in which no House possess a significant military advantage over any other.  In fact, the size of House BattleMech forces has been in steady decline for well over one hundred years.

In the absence of similar capability, a sustained military offensive launched by a House capable of replacing their BattleMech losses represents an existential threat to House targeted.  Furthermore, the recovery of such technology could lead to further breakthroughs, accelerating and magnifying the threat posed by the possessor.

Recommendation:
Kali Yama’s recently reactivated assembly line should be destroyed.  Furthermore, the COMCore computer system must also be rendered inoperable.  Ideally, the information the core contains would be acquired before its destruction but its destruction should be of the highest priority.  Information regarding the activities at Kali Yama could also be leaked to the Lyran Commonwealth, which is directly threated by Kali Yama’s activities.  However, if House Steiner mounts an operation, there is the potential they may recover critical information and gain significant advantage themselves.  It is therefore recommended that the Armed Forces of the Federated Suns undertake a covert operation to destroy the Kali Yama assembly line and COMCore computer system.  It is further recommended that such an operation be conducted in such a way as to infer the Lyran Commonwealth is behind the attack. 

Risks:
Attacking an industrial site, even one with direct military application, may be considered a violation of the general rules of warfare that have evolved since the Second Succession War ended.  Destroying a Star League era computer system would almost certainly be considered such a violation.  However, the risk of allowing this site to continue operating is simply too great to ignore.  The risk to the Federated Suns of being discovered to be behind such a covert attack is ameliorated to some degree by the lack of a shared border with the Free Worlds League.  Furthermore, the Lyan Commonwealth has both cause and history in attacking Kalidasa making them an obvious culprit.  If the FWL can be successfully convinced the LCAF is behind the operation, the risk to the Federated Suns is negligible, with the exception of the potential combat losses.

---

First Prince Ian Davion glared across the holotank at his late father’s close friend and advisor, Colonel Adriann Sortek.  “I am the First Prince.  I command and they obey.  It’s that simple.”

Sortek slowly shook his head.  “You are nineteen years old.  You are untested on either the military or political battlefield.  Both the Capellan and Draconis March serve as a buffer between the Crucis March and our enemies.  Stripping BattleMechs from either of them will serve not only to weaken our defenses and embolden our enemies but also make you unpopular with the nobility there.”

Sortek moved over, gesturing towards a golden pulsing planet not far from the emerald green border of the Capellan Confederation.  “MIIO reports that George Hasek has already made overtures to Marie Davion-St. Claire, your half-sister, likely seeking a union with his son Michael.  This would, in theory, give his son, or any children from such a union, a claim to the throne, however remote.  Make no mistake, Ian, even a single early misstep could have grave consequences for your reign.  The Duke of New Syrtis is a popular man and an adroit politician.”

Sortek shifted positions again, this time taking station by the border the Federated Suns shared with the Draconis Combine.  “As for Duke Sandoval, he may not have the ambitions of Duke Hasek, but he is fanatical in his protection of the Draconis March.  Anything that he perceives as weakening his defenses against the DCMS will be met with stiff resistance.  In the absence of an existential threat to the realm, he will be loath to allow you the use of any of his forces.  He is an extremely cautious man and still lives with the reminders of what the Dragon did to his home world of Robinson during the last Succession War.  His leadership keeps the Dragon from our throats.”

Ian Davion thrust his hand into the three-dimensional projection of his realm, battering through dozens of worlds with a vicious backhand.  “We agree on this at least, I must demonstrate my abilities as leader, both to the nobles of the Federated Sun and to our enemies.  Certainly the Davion Brigade of Guards will heed my call.”

Sortek nodded.  “Of course, my young Prince, but is it wise to send away your personal guards when you have not yet even sat on the throne for a full year?  Better their strength remain here, behind the throne until things are more settled.”

Ian Davion looked at his realm in disgust.  “The Crucis March seems to harbor as many mercenaries as it does House units.  Where is our strength?”

Sortek spread his hands wide, “Much of our strength is concentrated along our borders as it should be.  However, your control of the Transportation and Resupply Command must not be underestimated.  You alone control the bulk of JumpShips and DropShips in the realm as well as the cache of parts and supplies necessary to keep the units of the AFFS operational.  It is here that your March Lords are most vulnerable.”

Davion rolled his eyes.  “Great, so I’m basically running a shipping company.  Wonderful.  What of the Crucis March Nobles?  They are bound to me.  Can I not raise an army by demanding levies from my own Nobles?”

Sortek paused for a moment, considering.  “The vast majority of those Writs were written shortly after the Fall of the Star League, almost 250 years ago.  While they are obligated to provide you troops, I fear their ability to do has been vastly diminished during the intervening centuries of warfare.  Still, you are within your rights to demand levies from them.”

The Prince finally managed to smile.  “Excellent.  Let us see who within my own Crucis March will answer my call.  I should like, if nothing else, to know who among my Nobles is willing to stand with me and who is not.  It makes some sense to me that we should start at home before looking elsewhere.  There must still be men and women of honor left in the Federated Suns or else all is for naught.”

---

Federated Sun
Crucis March
Logandale

Devon Richmond, Earl of Logandale, looked up from his ledger as a gentle knock sounded on the hardwood door to his study.  A second later, the muffled voice of his Chamberlain, Hedwig Fulton, fought its way through the closed door. 

“My Lord, my apologies for the disturbance.  There is a flash communiqué from the StarPort.”

Putting down the voluminous leather-bound book, he responded.  “You may enter, Hedwig.”

The door opened, revealing a man in the twilight of his years dressed in the pale argent and blue livery of the House of Richmond.  He approached his master’s desk, a noteputer held in his gloved hand.  With a graceful yet slight bow, he offered it to the Earl.  “My Lord, I have taken the liberty of notifying Master Snowdon if you should need him.”

Taking the noteputer, the Earl nodded.  “Hedwig, if you would take station outside of my study, I will let you know if I need anything further.”

The Chamberlain responded even as he began backing out of the study, “Yes, my Lord,” a quiet ‘snick’ marked the closing of his study’s door.

Placing the thumb of his right hand on the noteputer, the device verified his identity and then unscrambled the message.

Armed Forces of the Federated Suns
New Avalon Regional Command
Achemar Combat Region

By order of First Prince Ian Davion, you are hereby commanded to fulfill your Obligation. 

You are to provide the following material along with trained personnel to operate the provided material to be absorbed into the Second Ceti Hussars Regimental Combat Team for an unspecified combat operation:

Twelve (12) BattleMechs
One (1) Support Company

The Buccaneer-class DropShip HMS Swiftsure will arrive on or about 15 January 3000 to collect the aforementioned forces. 

The expected duration of the operation is three (3) months.  All straight support costs, including consumables and transport, will be provided.  Any battle-related damages or combat losses are the sole responsibility of the individual providing the forces or their designated agent.  Any salvage or other materials acquired during combat operations will become the property of the Second Ceti Hussars.  Any force wishing to make a claim against any captured or salvaged material agrees in advance for arbitration of such claims via a Prize Court established by the AFFS Department of Military Administration.

All forces fall under the overall command of Marshal Buckley Royal, the Commanding Officer of the Second Ceti Hussars or other such persons as he should designate.

Given under my hand on 23 November 2999.

First Prince Ian Davion

In the quiet of his study, the Earl of Logandale placed the noteputer on his desk.  The First Prince hadn’t been on the throne for even a full year yet.  While it was generally accepted that his father had died of natural causes, his eldest son, Ian, wouldn’t see twenty full years of age yet for another four months.  Even in this relatively short time, it had already become well known that the young First Prince was a solider first and a diplomat second, if one at all. Trained as a MechWarrior, it was apparent from the message he’d just received that the First Prince was already well on his way to embarking on his first military campaign.

Richmond took a deep breath, letting his eyes wander across the familiar trinkets and artifacts that adorned his study.  Eventually they came to rest on a battered Star League Defense Force field jacket bearing the fabled Cameron Star.  Eighth Striker Regiment of the Seventeenth Army.

His direct ancestor, Wallace Richmond, had been a Major in the Star League Defense Force serving in the Seventeenth Army as a BattleMech battalion commander.  His unit had been stationed in the Periphery fighting the New Vandenberg Uprising shortly before Stefan Amaris executed First Lord Richard Cameron and seized the throne of the Star League for himself.  In the devastating aftermath of the Amaris Civil War, General Aleksandr Kerensky abandoned the Inner Sphere and the Star League dissolved into chaos.  Wallace Richmond ultimately decided against joining Kerensky’s Exodus and instead pledged his battalion to First Prince John Davion.  His unit, the First Battalion of the Eighth Striker Regiment, Seventeenth Army, would go on to form the core of the Second Ceti Hussars.

When the Draconis Combine drove deep into the Federated Suns at the start of what would later become known as the First Succession War, the Second Ceti Hussars came to the defense of the realm, helping push the Combine back in the aftermath of the bloody Kenatres Massacre.  By then, both John Davion and his son would be dead from the blades of assassins.  His grandson, a grateful and young First Prince Paul Davion, would award Wallace Richmond the planet of Longdale, granting him a patent of nobility and installing him as the first Earl of Longdale in return for his continued service.

When his ancestor had taken possession of the planet, he had also taken with him a full company of BattleMechs to form the core of his new House Guard.  Invoking the right of Entailment, Richmond granted warrior holds to both his former Executive Officer, Kim Bryon, and one of his former Captains, Camden Sherwood, effectively making them both Barons.  Each of them brought with them their own lance of BattleMechs along with various infantry and armor formations.  All combined, they served as the garrison for the planet.  At its height, the Richmond House Guard could have called upon the full combat strength of a Regimental Combat Team.   

This is from where the Writ of Obligation originated, signed by First Prince Paul Davion and his ancestor Wallace Richmond, some two hundred years ago, during what was effectively an entirely different age.  Back then, the mighty Achernar BattleMechs, General Motors, Kallon Industries and others were still building new BattleMechs for the AFFS as fast as their assembly lines would allow.  The Federated-Boeing shipyards in orbit around Galax and the massive McKenna’s naval shipyard around Kathil were still manufacturing JumpShips, DropShips and even WarShips.  Few would have believed, even at that time, that a technological dark age was descending. 

By the end of the Second Succession War in 2864, all of that, along with any disbelievers, would all be wiped away.  Billions deads, hundreds of worlds left dead or dying, the entire military-industrial complex of the Inner Sphere decimated, interstellar communication reduced to JumpShips ferrying messages between star systems, civilization had been reduced to the level of 21st century technology. 

He had to look no further than his own holdings to see the stark technological reality.  Where once agriculture and mineral extraction has been handled by a fleet of highly efficient IndustrialMechs, now throngs of people toiled across his fields and mines with hoes, shovels and pickaxes.  His eyes dropped to his desk and his long hand ledger.  Even his accounting was conducted manually, functional computer systems rare enough now that they were reserved for only the most essential and specialized functions. 

It was a strange juxtaposition.  Men and women in rough, homespun clothes clinging to pitchforks and scythes standing in the shadow of fusion-powered BattleMechs.  He was a feudal lord, his due paid not in precious metals or currency but instead in the sweat and blood of his people, the banks replaced by granaries and storehouses. 

And now this.  He didn’t need his Weapons Master to know there wasn’t twelve functional BattleMech across the entire planet.  There wasn’t even twelve non-functional ‘Mechs on planet.  His own House Guard could only field three operational units, his personal Warhammer included, and the other two were only 20-ton bug ‘Mechs.  He already knew it would prove impossible to fulfill his Obligation to the First Prince, the man to whom he owed fealty.

His stomach sunk.  He’d long known, as had generations before him, that this day would eventually come, each generation praying that it wouldn’t happen during their tenure.  The cost for failure was simple, spelled out in certain terms on the ancient Writ.  A stripping away of title and lands, seizure of all remaining assets, and possibly even public execution. 

Pushing his chair back from his desk, he picked up the noteputer, the sudden weight of it surprising him.  As he rose, his own weight surprised him as well, as if the entire planet was pushing down on him and for a brief moment, he and the ancient Grecian god Atlas were kindred spirits.

Opening the door to his study, he turned to look at the familiar face of his Chamberlain.  “Hedwig, summon Master Ramirez as well.”  He paused a moment before adding, “And find Piper.  This will affect her as much as anyone.  Also, prepare my personal guard.  I will be leaving later today to inspect Baron Bryon’s holdings.  Dispatch a messenger to him immediately informing him to expect me.  And Piper as well.”

With that, he swept past heading towards the castle’s conference room, his footsteps echoing solemnly off the flagstone floor.

---

Master Tech Rafael Ramirez examined the collective strut he’d tasked one of his Astechs to remove from the damaged lower arm assembly of the Wasp’s left arm.  A hairline stress fracture.  Hardly surprising given the age of the machine.  The 20-ton BattleMech had been built by Achernar BattleMechs at their New Avalon plant some 200 years ago.  In truth, however, little, if anything, remained from the original, except perhaps a few parts of the chassis.  Fortunately, the Castle possessed a fairly good machine shop and his family had a long history of skilled machinists, of which he was one.

As he dollied the damaged component out of the ‘Mech bay and into the adjacent shop, his mind was already churning on how best to repair it, or failing that, fabricate a replacement.  It was all but inconceivable to obtain a factory replacement part, or even a reconditioned one, as the few factories still manufacturing parts were all under the tight control of the AFFC and their output was reserved almost exclusively for House units.  To make matter worse, the costs of parts was exorbitant and few and far between were the visits by interstellar traders who even dealt in such goods.   

The last time House Richmond had been able significantly expand its stockpile of BattleMech parts was well over a decade ago.  Their supply of structural members, drive-control boards, sensors and fusion engine shielding were all but non-existent at this point.  Armor, myomer and, to a lesser degree, weapon systems, they still had in adequate supply.  Munitions were relatively plentiful, primarily owing to the fact that conventional vehicles used the same missiles and cartridges as their larger and more sophisticated brethren.  The unavoidable reality, however, was that each time one of their few BattleMechs took to the field, even for just simple maneuvers, there was a chance it would suffer irreparable damage.     

Luckily, a collective strut was not the end of the world.  Assuming the fracture didn’t extend too deeply, he could repair it.  Carefully, he lifted the strut from the dolly, placing it under an antique electron scanning microscope for analysis.  After examining it for a few minutes, he nodded to himself.  Typical metal fatigue due to cyclic compressive loads.  The initial defect had existed for some time; he could see its slow growth pattern and then the much brighter area where it had abruptly fractured.  In truth, there were likely hundreds of similar defects in various components throughout the Wasp just waiting to fail, the inevitable result of parts still in use far beyond their intended service life.  This case, thankfully, wasn’t catastrophic; a good weld would return it to service although he would have to carefully analyze the weld afterwards to ensure proper penetration and adhesion.

He swiveled his chair around as he heard footsteps approaching from the ‘Mech bay.  A few seconds later their origin was revealed.  It was Hedwig Fulton, the Earl’s Chamberlain.  He came directly to where Ramirez was still seated.

“Master Ramirez, his Lordship requires your immediate presence in the conference room.”

Ramirez leaned back, his chair emitting a long high-pitched squeak.  “What’s going on?  Give me the skinny.”  His face split into a wide grin as he continued, “I want to be properly prepared for his Lordship.”

The disapproval was clear on the Chamberlain’s face.  “You know I’m not at liberty to discuss the Earl’s affairs nor should you inquire such things of me.  Now, I suggest you make you way to the conference room in short order.  I must also summon Young Mistress Richmond.  Do you know her whereabouts?”

Now it was Ramirez’s turn to look disapproving.  He motioned towards the microscope, “After cracking this strut, you can rest assured she’s not anywhere near here, or in the ‘Mech bay, because if she was, I’d be giving her a good dressing down right about now!  And Nash too!  I don’t know what he’s thinking having her jump around in that thing.  He’s damn lucky she didn’t blow out a main leg shaft or damage one of the actuators!  Idiot!”

Fulton pursed his lips.  “It is Master Snowdon’s duty to train the Lord’s daughter in the arts of BattleMech combat.  The Earl has given him free reign in this.  By all accounts, Piper is well on her way to becoming a skilled MechWarrior.”  He narrowed his eyes.  “I suggest you keep to your own business and out of other people’s, Master Ramirez.”

With that, he turned, leaving the way he came.

Ramirez watched him go with a smile as he got up.  Technically, Hedwig ran the Castle even when the Earl was in residence giving him a great deal of authority.  The reality, however, was a bit different.  Devon Richmond, Earl of Longdale, had never been a man to let others run his affairs for him, not when he was perfectly capable of doing it himself.  It was one of the Earl’s best attributes and one of the reasons Ramirez respected him as much as he did.

---

Sigil

• Lieutenant
« Reply #195 on: 16 March 2019, 05:51:51 »
The Liberator - Part 2

Piper Richmond leaned back in her chair as she watched the holovid of her training run captured by Master Snowdon’s Locust.  She’d pushed Antigone, the family’s 20-ton Wasp, hard during the practice session.  Master Ramizez would undoubtedly have said too hard but she suspected Snowdon approved.

She grinned as she watched her ‘Mech sail over the crest of Becky’s Hill.  She’d caught Snowdon off guard with the maneuver, his Locust suddenly slowing as he worked it into a sharp turn in an attempt to bring his centerline medium laser to bear on her.  As she landed, she dropped to one knee and fired the Diverse Optics medium laser that made up Antigone’s right arm.  A soft curse escaped her lips as he watched Snowdon’s damage board light up.  As with all training sessions, the ‘Mech’s lasers were set in low-power mode and the onboard computer system simulated the damage.  BattleMechs were far too rare and expensive to risk any unnecessary damage.

Whether by luck or skill, the computer had decided that her shot and penetrated the armor of the Locust’s right arm and fused the shoulder assembly, effectively immobilizing the entire limb and making it all but impossible for Snowdon to use the SperryBrowning machine gun located there.  She hadn’t realized at the time that she had scored critical damage. 

Her moment of triumph was short lived, however.  She winced, knowing what came next.  Antigone straightened up as she prepared to dash behind a particularly large boulder in hopes of avoiding Snowdon’s inevitable return fire.

There!  She froze the holovid, then began advancing it frame by frame.  It was the reason why she’d surprised Master Snowdon in the first place.  Becky’s Hill was, for the most part, rough terrain.  The entire eastern side of it was a huge sloping rockslide and a boulder field dominated the top.  Footing was treacherous and she knew Snowdon would never have expected, or for that matter approved, of her jumping into the boulder field. 

Her crooked grin reappeared.  Wasn’t it Snowdon himself who always told her to do the unexpected?  Well, she’d stuck the landing at least but there, beneath her right foot actuator, was where all the trouble had began.  Intending to dart for cover, she watched as the rocks under her foot began rolling like marbles the moment she sought to push off it and begin to accelerate.

She cringed as Antgone’s right leg shot out behind, throwing her full 20-ton bulk off balance.  As she began to fall forward, she reached out with the Wasp’s left arm to help catch her fall, twisting towards the left even as she fell.  The impact had been bone jarring.  Unconsciously, her tongue ran over the inside of her cheek where she’d bitten though a piece of the flesh. 

It looked pretty bad on the holovid as well.  Most of the ‘Mech’s weight had come down on the outstretched left arm.  It held for a brief moment, then the force simply overwhelmed the lower arm actuator, causing the ‘Mech to crash to the ground along its left side.   

She leaned back, frustrated.  There wasn’t anything she could have done to prevent it.  It was just one of those chance events.  She’d damaged a number of the armor plates on the left side as well but the real damage was the lower arm actuator.  Except, unlike the critical damage to Snowdon’s Locust, this was real physical damage.  Once Antigone had gone down, she’d just lain there listening to the alarm as a terrible sinking feeling gripped her. 

At least she’d remembered what Master Ramirez had told her to do if such a situation ever occurred.  As with a critically injured person, the golden rule was not to move them until the situation was fully assessed.  She sighed.  One second she’d been on top of the world, the next down in a deep dark hole.

Master Snowdon ordered her out of the ‘Mech and the ride back to the Castle has been largely in silence once he’d determined she hadn’t been physically injured in the fall.  Still, he’d sent her directly to Dr. Wheatley for a full physical as soon as they had returned. 

Master Tech Ramirez insisted on handling the recovery of Antigone personally and the second he’d heard she’d taken it onto Becky’s Hill, he about exploded.  Not at her, of course, she was the Earl’s daughter after all, but at the Weapons Master for allowing it.  She could hear him screaming at Ramirez all the way to Wheatley’s office and it made her feel smaller and smaller with each step. 

She turned her head as she heard someone approaching.

“Lady Richmond, your father has asked that you join him immediately in the conference room.”

She nodded as she slowly rose to her feet, feeling surprisingly heavy.  It must be even worse than she feared. 

---

The Lord of Longdale glanced at his Weapons Master as he took his place at the head of the conference table.  A few swift keystrokes later, he pulled up his House Guard’s Table of Organization and Equipment.  Next, he connected his noteputer and displayed the communiqué he’d just received from the StarPort.

“Nash, read this,” he directed as he motioned to the secondary screen displaying the missive, “Piper and Rafael will be joining us shortly.”  Snowdon, still standing at attention, took the seat immediately to the Lord’s left, already beginning to read to the directive.

Just as Snowdon finished reading the communiqué, Rafael Ramirez, the Master Tech, entered the conference room.  Following a short bow to Lord Richmond, he said, “My Lord, your Chamberlain informed me that my presence was required.”

Richmond motioned to the second chair on his right.  Nodding towards the screen, he said, “Seat yourself and review the missive I just received from the StarPort.”

Ramirez’s eyes tightened as he read the message, his posture stiffening.  Once he was finished he turned questioningly to his master.

As he was about to speak, his daughter, out of breathe, her wet hair pulled back into a ponytail came flying through the door to the conference room.  “It wasn’t his fault!  I shouldn’t have made that jump onto Becky’s Hill!  I was just trying to surprise him!  I take full responsibility.”

She cast a worried glance at the Master Tech, wincing as she asked, “The damage isn’t that bad is it, Raf?  I mean, she’s still operational, right?”

Now it was face of Lord Richmond that tightened as his dark eyes swiveled to fix upon his Weapons Master.  He inclined his head slightly, indicating that Snowdon could respond.

“And surprise me you did, Piper!” Snowdon chuckled before turning serious.  “It was a move worthy of a MechWarrior but quite a risky one as you found out.  The boulder field would have effectively nullified my advantage in speed and I wasn’t expecting you to risk navigating it.  It also took my dual machine guns out of play since they lacked the range to effectively attack you.  To your credit, the computer scored your Diverse Optics as destroying my right arm shoulder assembly.  However, while your gunnery was skillful, your piloting was not.  Still, all considered, I must say you had both the initiative and the advantage until you fell.” 

Snowdon then turned to Ramirez, “How is Antigone?”

Ramirez waved his hand dismissively, “I’ve already examined the damage.  A minor stress fracture to one of the collective struts and some damage to a couple armor plates.  Entirely repairable.  Hardly anything to worry about.  She’ll be fully operational in a day, two at most.  Unfortunately, I fear that is the least of our worries at the moment.”

Confused, Piper looked to her father.  The least of their worries!?  The last time something similar had happened, her father forbid her from piloting a ‘Mech and banished her back to the simulators for three months.  And, she still didn’t know what he’d done to Nash whom he’d held ultimately responsible.

Her father’s stormy eyes flicked towards the monitor that dominated one of the walls.  “Read it, Piper.  It came in from the StarPort just a few hours ago.”

Piper quickly scanned the message, confusion slowly giving way to understanding.  As she continued to read, she murmured, “The First Prince himself?  A full company of BattleMechs?”  Finished, she turned back to her father exclaiming, “There’s no way we can fulfill our Obligation!  What are we going to do!?” understanding now rapidly giving way to fear on her face.

Her father’s face, held in tight check, shifted his eyes to the unoccupied seat next to him.  She quickly slid into the chair at her father’s right hand, even as he turned his gaze to the House Weapons Master.  “What is your assessment of the strength of the House Guard?  What can we realistically muster?  I already know what the reports and paperwork say, but I put little faith in scratches on a screen and the words of rank-hungry officers.”

Weapons Master Nash Snowdon took a long moment before answering.  “Of BattleMechs, only two are fully operational, Antigone, the Wasp and Ismene, the Locust, not accounting for Stormfury, of course, which is off planet on assignment with your son.  Regardless, not counting myself or Piper, I’ve trained both your nephew, Rance, and a local girl who showed some promise, Ena Ray, in the rudiments of BattleMech operation.  I expect in a pinch, they could take the sticks and give a good accounting of themselves if the opportunity arose.”

“There is a full armor battalion under Thane Chester, consisting of two companies of Vedette medium tanks and one company of Hunter light support tanks.  Thistle Crawford commands two full infantry regiments, one mechanized using a collection of hovercraft, infantry fighting vehicles, and gun trucks, including a company of Striker light tanks, and the second fully out-fitted with armored personnel carriers.  If you fully mobilize the House Guard by calling in all of the levies, use the armory stores and requisition the rest, we could likely raise another two motorized infantry regiments and three more of foot, but it would be costly and they would likely prove only marginally effective if deployed off world.  This, of course, does not account for either House Bryon or House Sherwood’s forces.”

Lord Richmond narrowed his eyes.  “A succinct recitation of the TO&E I’ve already displayed.  Now isn’t the time to bandy words about, Nash,” his eyes softened just a bit as he continued.  “Can they fight?  And how much must we hold back to ensure the continued safety of both Longdale and House Richmond itself?”

“Chester is a good commander, respected by his troops and a man who knows his duty.  His armor battalion, if deployed and properly supported, would make a formidable force, easily capable of successfully engaging conventional forces and could likely hold its own even against light BattleMech forces as well.  He knows his business.  I expect him and his boys would make a good accounting of themselves off planet.

“As for Crawford, he’s a solid, if uninspired, commander.  He’s by the book.  Lucky for his troopers, he’s read the right ones.  That said, it’s dangerous business sending infantry off world and I don’t care how well trained they are.  The logistical issues are just too great.  It just doesn’t make a much sense to spend the interstellar resources necessary to transport them unless perhaps, they’re some kind of specialized crack unit.  I’m sure the First Prince knows it too.  He only asking for BattleMechs, which means he must be planning an attack of some kind, likely an objective raid of some kind.  Then again, you can rest assured we don’t know even the half of the story, probably not even a tenth for that matter.”

“All that said, what strikes me as curious is that the AFFC is dispatching a Buccaneer-class DropShip, not a dedicated ‘Mech carrier.  I suspect the First Prince knows there isn’t exactly an abundance of BattleMechs among the Crucis March House Guards.  While he’s asking for BattleMechs, likely he’s expecting conventional forces, not that you couldn’t load BattleMechs as cargo on a Buccaneer, you could, but it’s much better suited to transport light vehicles.

Snowdon frowned.  “Of course, I wouldn’t recommend stripping the Guard of all it’s heavy forces, not unless the good Baron Sherwood is also contributing.  I’d hate to see his BattleMaster at the gates of the Castle with naught to defend it with but a bunch of Crawford’s ground pounders.”

It was Lord Richmond’s turn to frown.  “I will deal with Baron Sherwood, and Baron Bryon for that matter.  Do not concern yourself with them.  If I fail to adequately respond to the Prince’s call, it will matter little what they choose to do.”  He turned then to Master Tech Rafael Ramirez.  “What is the status of our other BattleMechs?”

“Of the three, the Rifleman is the closest to being operational.  If I could get the parts to rebuild the left hip and a gyro repair kit, I could probably get it walking again.  It also needs an entirely new right arm assembly, including the weapon systems, an Imperator-A autocannon and Magna Mk III heavy laser, and a full set of actuators and the associated control boards.  Otherwise the fusion engine is in fairly good condition, as are the electronics, including the Garret D2j targeting and tracking system.

“The Shadow Hawk needs a new head, engine work, all of the weapons and armor have been cannibalized along with most of the myomer and control boards.  It’s practically just a skeleton now.  The Stinger basically needs a new left side and a replacement engine.  It’s not as much work as you might think, given how small the thing is, it’s just like with the others though, it’s a question of parts we just don’t have and I can’t make.”

A gleam appeared in Ramirez’s eye.  “Now, give me access to a military quartermaster and enough Kroners, and I could get all three of them back online.  Truth is, they don’t need anything too exotic and they are all fairly common models.  Might be the Ceti Hussar’s are willing to do us a good turn if you play your cards right.  If I tilled just about everything we’ve got on hand now into them, I could probably get them propped up and looking like BattleMechs even if they aren’t actually operational.  Worst comes to worst, we could probably swap one of the chassis for the parts we need.  The Shadow Hawk hasn’t been operational since your father salvaged it on Tikonov back in ’33.”  He grinned.

Lord Richmond looked thoughtful for a moment and then turned back to his Weapons Masters.  “Have Chester’s Chevaliers prepare for deployment.  Assuming Master Ramirez and I can accomplish a few miracles, You, Piper and Rance will accompany them in BattleMechs.  I will see about filling out the lance with Baron Byron’s Crusader and having Baron Sherwood foot the bill for it all.”

---

Sigil

• Lieutenant
« Reply #196 on: 16 March 2019, 05:53:00 »
The Liberator - Part 3

One eye on the tactical readout of his Garret A6 target and tracking system, Anders Byron throttled up his 65-ton Crusader BattleMech to its maximum speed.  Although his threat board remained clear, he had little doubt there was something out there.  Threading his way between small copses of tree, he swept his eyes back and forth across his ‘Mech’s head-up display.  His Crusader carried matched pairs of Magna Longbow LRM-15s, Holly SRM-4s, and Intek medium lasers.

Ahead loomed a low rise that would provide an excellent field of vision of the surrounding and relatively flat countryside.  The slope he was approaching was heavily forested, but the top was bald.  Slowing his ‘Mech back down to a walk, he began to climb the lightly forested hill, his ‘Mech’s torso swiveling left to right as he continued to search for potential targets.

This section of forest was older and denser, with many of the trees extending above the 10m height of his ‘Mech, leaving him in shadows and reducing his effective visual range to less than 200m.  As massive bole after bole materialized in front of him out of the gloom, he slowed even further, forced to navigate around some of the enormous trees instead of simply bulling his way through as he had done in the lighter woods.

Engaging the low-light image processors, he saw an area where the trees thinned out and angled his ‘Mech towards it, hoping to find an easier path to the top.  As he broached the area, he could make out what appeared to be some kind of rough access road that likely switch backed up the hill.

As he made his way towards it, his threat board suddenly lit up.  Opposite him, in a rough semi-circle, four large muzzles flashed followed by a stream of small short-range missiles pouring out of the woods all around him.

Autocannon rounds spalled armor off all along his chest and left side even as his Crusader was buffeted by a storm of missile strikes.  Twisting to the left, he triggered the interlock with all of his ‘Mech’s short-range weapons, sending a bevy of SRMs and laser fire in the direction of one of the muzzle flashes, his once pristine green damage board now showing a series of angry orange splotches.

Even as the Garret A6 electronically sorted out the picture, Anders saw four light tanks burst from their concealment, belching smoke from their generators, their tracks spraying mud high into the trees around them.  He recognized them immediately, even as the Garret A6 tagged them all as 25-ton Scorpion light tanks.  They split into two groups, breaking to either side of him, travelling roughly parallel to him even as their turrets continued to track them.

Anders glanced wildly around, desperately trying to formulate some plan of attack as his throttled up his ‘Mech.  Break for the heavy trees?  Dash towards the service road?  Engage one of the tank groups?  Even as his mind whirled, another fusillade of autocannon fire racked across his Crusader, blasting away more precious armor.  More missiles swarmed out of the surrounding forest, hammering away at him, as the smoke from the tanks and missile fire began to obscure the battlefield.

Ultimately, momentum decided for him, as he found himself approaching the service road.  Two of the tanks cut suddenly, racing to cut him off as the other two put a pair of rounds into his ‘Mech’s thin rear armor.  Slewing his targeting reticle over the closest, he fired for the second time.  The front of the tank was transfixed by his two Intek medium lasers and then his SRMs blanketed it in explosions.  As he brought his ‘Mech around onto the newly revealed road, the second tank raced through the smoke of the first, continuing its pursuit.  Light missile fire exploded from the woods nearest him, but it was the tanks that concerned him most.

Anders turned to face the second attacker, coming to a standstill on the road as his did so and bracing himself.  The Scorpion’s Deleon medium autocannon barked again as it’s machine gun sparkled at him.   He returned fire, the heavily armored front of the tank absorbing the punishment as it continued to trundle ahead.  Out of the smoke behind it, the second Scorpion, having lost a track, ground awkwardly ahead, firing a round wildly past him.

A glance at his tactical revealed the other two tanks had linked up on the road below him and were now advancing on him, seeking to regain line-of-sight.  Making a rough guess, Anders sent a salvo of long-range missiles arcing down in their direction, seeking to at least slow their advance.  Another handful of missiles burst from the woods off to his left as the first serious wave of heat washed through his cockpit.  Still within his ‘Mechs operational heat range, Anders shifted the Crusader into reverse, moving away the missile filled woods and higher up the hill.

Four more targets appeared on his tactical as a series of armored personnel carriers fired up, confirming his belief the heavy woods were crawling the dismounted infantry.  Like a snail, the Crusader slowly reversed up the service road, allowing the three undamaged tanks to all close distance.  Bracing himself for the next exchange of fire, Anders targeted the closest Scorpion with his SRM-4s, it’s frontal armor already compromised, saving the matched medium lasers for the damaged tank still struggling behind it.

The majority of his short-range missiles corkscrewed directly into the lead Scorpion, punching through its remaining armor and into the crew compartment, gutting it.  His two medium lasers savaged the already damaged light tank behind it, bringing it to a stop, one set of tracks sheared away, thick black smoke billowing from its engine compartment.  On came the two remaining Scorpions up the road, their autocannons chiseling away at his quickly diminishing protection, one shell hitting his thick chest armor, the other penetrating his left leg.

His damage board flashed red, an alarm blaring, as one of his leg actuators failed.  For a brief second his ‘Mech teetered as he fought to maintain his balance but then failed, the combination of the slope, damage and the failed actuator simply overwhelming his ability to keep his ‘Mech on it’s feet.  65-tons of premium military hardware thundered to the ground, snapping his head back and leaving him briefly disoriented.
The force of the fall breached what little was left of his rear armor, sending red spreading further across the damage board even as one of the Holly SRM-4s blinked offline. 

Rolling onto his right side, Anders struggled back to his feet only to be greeted by autocannon and machine gun fire pouring from the two remaining Scorpions.  One of the tank’s rounds penetrated his left arm leaving a hole for the machine guns to exploit and disabling the Magna Longbow-15 launcher located there.  Lurching ahead, Anders sent a vicious kick at the nearest Scorpion even as it attempted to back away, but the damaged left leg betrayed him.  For the second time, Anders went crashing to the ground, this time face first.  Head pounding from the whiplash, Anders watched helplessly as red threatened to consume the entire damage board. 

Concentrating their fire on the now exposed rear of his ‘Mech, the remaining tanks poured rounds from both their main guns and coaxially mounted machine guns into the breaches there.  A heart-rending screech marked damage to his ‘Mech’s delicate gyro assembly following by a blast of heat from the now compromised fusion engine shielding.

Pushing his ‘Mech back up, mud streaming from it’s face plate, Anders heart sunk as he saw heavily armed infantry emerging from the woods, missile launchers aimed and ready.  A split second later his stunned mind registered the missile contrails heading straight for him.  Then, the cockpit when dark, “Simulation Complete” flashing on the head-up display.

---

Baron Rishley Byron ran her fingers back through her thick blond hair.  The years had done little to fade either her beauty or her warrior ability.  She turned to her House Weapon Master, Jules Donovan, with a sigh. “Well, Jules, what do you think?”

“My Lord, this training scenario is a modified version of the infamous Scorpion Nest.  It is designed to demonstrate the threat conventional forces can pose to even heavy BattleMechs.  I believe young Anders has learned his lesson.”

A scowl marred Lady Byron’s features, “How judicious of you, Jules, perhaps I should have you reassigned to the House diplomatic core.  I hate to see any talent go to waste, there is precious little of here on Longdale as it is.  The lesson of the training scenario aside, what is your assessment of Anders combat performance?”

Donovan’s hand rose to stroke his thin, black goatee as he formed his thoughts.  “He quickly identified the rise as the best vantage point for his reconnaissance, although he did not reconnoiter its circumference.  Regardless, his initial approach was solid.  He maintained adequate sight lines and during his initial ascent his use of heavy woods for cover played to his BattleMech’s strengths.”

Lady Byron’s scowl remained, her eyes boring deeper into the Weapon Master as she silently bid him to continue.

“The slow rate of progress caused by the dense woods caused him to get impatient.  When presented with an opportunity to move into lighter cover and increase the speed of his advance, he went for it, and was drawn even further in by the presence of the access road.  Ultimately, that was his mistake.  Youth has never been known for its patience and young Anders is no exception.  He walked right into the ambush.”

Byron’s scowl deepened.  “You’re doing an exceptional job of putting the best possible face on his abysmal performance.  He panicked, Jules.  You know it.  I know it.  And I’m sure he knows it.  The infantry and Scorpions had a good 10-15 seconds before Anders even managed an effective response.  By that time, he was effectively surrounded, and the net was closing.”

“My Lord, once he began to return fire, you must have noticed his exceptional gunnery.  He was shooting in the upper 90 percentile, including targeting two different Scorpions simultaneously.  A risky proposition to be sure, but one that paid off well.  His use of indirect LRM fire to slow the advance of the other two Scorpions was also an excellent tactical decision, well executed.”

Bryon grunted, “Fair enough, but it’s hard to bring your weapons to bear when you stumbling around like a drunken sailor.  I don’t care how good of a shot you are if you can can’t keep on your feet.  That kind of solider makes an excellent tank gunner, not a MechWarrior.”

Donovan nodded, “Clearly, his attempt to walk backward up the road did not end as he intended, although to his credit, one of his ‘Mech’s leg actuators had just been damaged.”

Byron gave a most unlady-like snort as she added, “Even after it was damaged, he attempted to kick with it, failed, and face-planted in the mud.  For Kerensky’s sake, Jules, he was swarmed by infantry and disabled!  A 65-ton Crusader lost to four light tanks and an infantry company!”  Shaking her head, she ran her hand over her face, rubbing her temples.  “If that had been real, House Byron would be no more.”

---

Dave Talley

• Major
« Reply #197 on: 16 March 2019, 11:25:06 »
yippppeeeeee!!!!!
more Sig!!
“Toe jam in training”

Because while the other Great Houses of the Star League thought they were playing chess, House Cameron was playing Paradox-Billiards-Vostroyan-Roulette-Fourth Dimensional-Hypercube-Chess-Strip Poker the entire time.
JA Baker

Sigil

• Lieutenant
« Reply #198 on: 16 March 2019, 12:46:52 »
I confess, this fragment has been gathering dust for quite some time.  I don't expect to add anything more to it.  It's genesis was the BattleDroid obsession I had going on when I was researching and writing "Unseen."

http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Unseen:_A_History_of_FASA,_Battledroids_and_BattleTech

Having just finished "Warbook: Dark Age," my latest project, I started this morning on a new story.  This one set in Prefecture IX circa 3132.  It will be my first attempt at writing in that era and will accompany a new BT campaign I'm starting next week :)

DOC_Agren

• Major
« Reply #199 on: 16 March 2019, 17:06:20 »
MORE PLEASE  :thumbsup: I need to know what happens next Sigil PLEASE

snakespinner

• Captain
« Reply #200 on: 16 March 2019, 18:49:40 »
Always great to see your stories.
Just some minor things.
A FS dropship would be the FSS Swiftsure, and the FS uses pounds not kroner. :thumbsup:
Growing up is optional.

ckosacranoid

• Lieutenant
« Reply #201 on: 23 March 2019, 20:02:35 »
Nice to see that era being used and the trouble trying to get Macy's to work or even being able to feild.

Sigil

• Lieutenant
« Reply #202 on: 14 April 2020, 16:23:36 »
Writer's Note:  Found this sitting on my harddrive.  It was written when I was busy obsessing about IndustrialMechs and the Dark Age.  Not a combat piece, but more like a slice of life after Grey Monday.

Carnwath
Prefecture IX
Republic of the Sphere
3 November 3132

Liza Killgore, CEO of Carnwath Industrial Equipment, glanced up from her noteputer as she heard the door to her office gently swish open.  A well-manicured young man bearing a tray with a blue enameled teakettle, mug, small urn, petite fluted silver pitcher, and a heavily weathered and pitted spoon entered.

“I apologize for the delay, ma’am.  You arrived unusually early this morning.  I will adjust my schedule accordingly.”  He slid the tray onto her desk with practiced ease.  “Is there anything else you require this morning?  You have quite a busy schedule today.  Jorge wants to talk first thing this morning.  I expect the union delegation will be a surly mood after Governor Xianglo’s latest announcement.”

Killgore nodded with an audible sigh.  “I imagine everyone’s feeling a bit peeved.  My eldest daughter started giving me an earful about the new curfew restrictions before the governor even finished announcing them.  It’s going to wreak even more havoc on the already dangerously unstable planetary economy.” 

She shook her head, “I’m not sure it was a necessary or even a wise move on his part.  As if people don’t already have enough problems, now they can’t even stay out past midnight to let a little steam off.”  She turned serious, “I’m just worried about how this is going to impact third shift.  I’m sure that’s what Jorge wants to talk about.  I’ve got to credit the man, he doesn’t waste time.”

The young man chuckled, “He was quite insistent, ma’am.  But I’m afraid he wasn’t the only one to muscle his way on to your schedule.”  With a few deft motions, he poured a measure of steaming hot tea into her mug.  “Is this a one-lump or two-lump day?” 

Killgore groaned.  “If there’s another surprise coming my way, maybe you should make it three, Joff.  Who else needs to talk,” she joked, “Legate O’Mallory, or the governor himself?”

Two unusually generous teaspoons of sugar plus a dash of heavy cream later, Joff Maginda presented the mug of tea to his boss with a glowing smile.  “I’m afraid we can’t afford such excess during these troubles times, ma’am, I’m afraid I have to cut you off at two or accounting will have my head.”

Killgore rolled her eyes in jest and laughed, “Things must be much worse than I realize if the CEO of the largest and most important corporation on Carnwath can’t afford three lumps of sugar in her morning tea.”  She picked up the battered spoon, considering it for a long moment before using it to stir her tea.

“This spoon was made from the first batch of refined steel CIE ever produced.  It dates back to before the Republic.  CIE weathered both the Fed-Com Civil War and the Jihad.  If it survived those, I’m sure it can handle whatever is coming next.  Now out with it Joff, who is my other surprise guest or are you just teasing me because I don’t see anything else out of the ordinary on my schedule.”

Maginda stiffened, “Colonel Rebecca Yew, commanding officer of the Carnswath planetary militia.  She explicitly asked that I leave her name off your schedule.  She doesn’t want this meeting publically known.  She will be arriving in civilian dress, ma’am, at noon.  In the interest of discretion, I have arranged for you and the Colonel to discuss matters over lunch in the adjacent conference room.” 

He relaxed slightly as he continued on, “Do you have a preference?  I was thinking perhaps Brunswick stew from the Colonial along with a loaf of sourdough from Taswell’s?  They make such excellent bread.  I think it would make the perfect accompaniment.”

The clinking of the spoon against the mug abruptly stopped.  “Colonel Yew?”

Maginda nodded, “Yes, ma’am.”

Killgore slowly lifted the mug to her lips, taking her first sip of tea.  “I need to see Josh before the meeting with the Colonel.  Make it happen.”  Her gaze shifted down to her noteputer. 

Maginda could all but see the switch flip inside of Killgore’s head.  She was now in business mode, the pleasantries of the day dismissed.  “I’ll see to it immediately, ma’am.” With that, he turned, intending to quietly slip out the door.

“Oh, and Joff, my sweet tooth seems to be acting up.  Get a couple loaves of that wonderful molasses brown bread instead of the sourdough to go with the stew.”

---

What seemed only minutes later, Maginda’s voice came over the private intercom built into her desk.  “Mr. Gurinda has arrived.  He has with Mrs. Donahue with him.”

She responded curtly, “See them both in.”

Seconds later, her office door opened and Magdina escorted the two union representatives to a pair of high-backed chairs in front of her desk.  “Will you be needing anything else, ma’am?” he queried.

“Not at the moment, Joff, thank you.”  She turned her attention to the president of the United Industrial Workers union.  “What can I help you with, Jorge?  We can dismiss with formalities.  I have an extraordinarily busy day ahead of me.”

A forced smile crossed the tall swarthy man’s pockmarked face as he lowered himself into the chair opposite her.  “Yes, yes, I’m sure you do, Liza.  Undoubtedly, you are aware of the curfew Governor Xianglo announced yesterday.  I’m concerned this is going to have a detrimental effect on our Shift III workers.  That is why I asked Donna to join us.  As you know, she is the Shift III Foreman at Plant #3.”

Killgore gore nodded at the woman and then shifted her gaze back to the Gurinda.  “I am every bit as concerned as the two of you.  However, the situation is much more complicated than simply the imposition of a curfew here on Carnwath.  The entire Republic itself unsettled.  The transition of power from Exarch Devlin Stone to Damien Redburn has not been a smooth one, to say nothing of Stone’s apparent disappearance.  Frankly, the Republic’s economy is in shambles.  I’m sure you are aware of the massive layoffs implemented by Bannon Universal Unlimited earlier this year in the wake of the Senate’s DiNapoli hearings.  Not to mention the utter collapse of the banking system in Prefecture I.”

The two union representatives nodded, Gurinda’s forced smile gone and the look on Donahue’s face growing increasingly grim as she continued.  “And now with the HPG network offline since early August, news is scarce, rumors abound, and, most disturbingly, interstellar trade has all but dried up.  There have even been rumors of fighting in Prefecture X on Dieron.”

Killgore took a deep breath, her face filling with sympathy.  “Look, Jorge, the truth is CIE is carrying a lot excess of inventory right now.  More than the local client base can absorb.  Until we can start shipping our IndustrialMechs off world again, that situation is unlikely to change.”

Gurinda’s face tightened as he fought to control his expressions.  “So that’s it?  You’re going to use the Governor’s curfew as cover to lay off an entire shift?”

Killgore’s hands shot up, “Whoa, slow down, Jorge, no one is talking about layoffs.  Obviously, with the travel restrictions in place the schedule will have to be adjusted.  You already knew that before you came in here.  How about the union comes up with a proposal, including a revised schedule, and I’ll take a look at it.  You’re in the best position to develop a plan that we can all sit down and discuss.  Look, I’m just as concerned about the future of Carnwath Industrial as you are.  These are increasingly dangerous times, not just for you and the people you represent, but for all of us.  We are going to have to work together to find a way to weather this storm.”

Donahue spoke for the first time, the worry plain on her face, “Let’s just hope it doesn’t get any worse.”

---

The size of his security force had never struck Josh Freylee, Chief Security Officer for Carnwath Industrial Equipment, as small.  Until now.  Three dozen officers had, at times, seemed almost extravagant, but now they seemed stretched impossibly thin given the number of facilities they had to monitor.

In retrospect, it seemed as if the Hyper-Pulse Generator, with its unending stream of interstellar news, information, and sports coming in one end and endless barrage of messages going out the other, had served as a kind of planetary opiate.  He himself had not realized just how subtly comforting it was to know that Carnwath was part of something much, much larger, that the Republic of the Sphere was there to backstop them.  There to protect them.

The machinations of the Senate were easily debated, and just as easily dismissed, from some 120 light years away.  The latest fights from the gladiatorial arenas of Solaris VII were available with the flick of a hand, scotch from Glengarry, beer from Timbiqui, tri-vid players from Tharkad, Xantaran steaks, there was plentiful evidence that Carnwath was a part of a nation light years across, a small planet, in a big, big universe.

Then, literally overnight, all of that abruptly vanished.  Grey Monday.  The 7th of August.  When everything went dark.  Just three months ago and already the date had its own name, an ominous sign indeed.  First the information flow stopped.  Then, interstellar travel.    What little news that now came to Carnwath, never a major trading post to begin with, was transmitted by the occasional JumpShip passing through.  And it had become all but unheard of for a DropShip to land on planet over these past few months. 

In fact, the last one that had landed had essentially ignited a mob scene at the largely deserted StarPort.  Between people begging to buy passage off planet, begging to buy whatever off-world goods were available, begging to sell their own goods, or just simply begging to hear news of what was going on “out there,” the local authorities had been called in to restore order to chaotic scene. 

Surprisingly, Carnwatch Industrial Equipment had been one of only a small handful of manufacturers the DropShip captain had been interested in doing business with.  While he wasn’t privy to the details of the bargain struck, it was obvious it had been a big one, as the CIE warehouses had been all but emptied by it and were only now just filling back up.

He had recently increased both the frequency and size of his patrols.  He knew a storm was brewing; the DropShip mob had been the first sign.  Civil unrest was on the horizon.  The Republic government knew it as well.  Governor Xianglo has imposed a curfew just last night and already luxury goods were scarce and those that remained commanded exorbitant prices.

With any luck, Kilgore had called him into her office to approve his requisitions for additional personnel and equipment.  He glanced down at the noteputer in his hand.  He was prepared.

He pushed open the plate glass doors to the executive suite.  As expected, Killgore’s foppish assistant was waiting for him.   As Joff opened his mouth, he cut him off, “Stow it, Joff.  Just tell the boss I’m here.  And no, I don’t want any tea.  Now, if you had a cold bottle of Timbiqui, that would be different story.”

Joff frowned in disapproval as he manipulated his desk’s hidden controls, “Chief Freylee has arrived.”  His eyes drifted unfocused across the room, his head slightly tilted as he presumably listened to a reply via his earpiece, then he stood, wiping the creases from his suit with a single, smooth practiced swipe.  “President Killgore will see you now,” he said as he opened the solid wood door, admitting him into the CEO’s office. 

Freylee passed through the door into the inner sanctum of Carnwath Industrial Equipment.  Killgore motioned to one of two high-backed chairs positioned in front of her desk.  As he took his seat, he noticed it was still warm.  “Back-to-back meetings, boss?”

She gave a curt nod, “And another on the way, which is I wanted to see you.  Colonel Rebecca Yew is coming to see me at lunch today.  She requested the meeting be confidential.  Joff knows the details.”

He nodded, “No problem, I’ll handle the security personally.  If she wants it kept quiet, I’ll make sure no one sees her, except, of course, you.”

She waved his comments away with flick of her hand, “I’m not concerned about her security, she has her own people, and that’s not why I wanted to see you.”

He straightened up in his chair, as she continued.  “I’m sure you remember the cargo ship that landed a few weeks ago.” 

He nodded, “Sure, the one that practically caused a riot.”

She locked him with her eyes, “Well, I have a strong feeling things around here are about to start changing.  That DropShip was carrying, among other things, a rather large weapons shipment from the Republic Armed Forces.  And, relating directly to CIE, detailed engineering plans for arming and armoring IndustrialMechs, what the military generally referred to as “MODs.”

Freylee had a poker face and he managed to keep his expressional entirely unchanged as she delivered the startling news.  “So, you think Colonel Yew is coming to see about up-arming the militia with MODs?”

Killgore nodded, “She has the weapons, armor, and munitions required for the modifications.  I’ve already had our top engineering team review the plans and they assure me our facilities can do the work.  I expect Colonel Yew will ‘ask’ that I begin retrofitting our existing stock as soon as possible.”

Freylee snorted, “Let me guess, by ‘ask,’ you mean ‘order.’  I knew Yew back when she was a Captain in the RAF and I was just a lowly Sergeant.  She was prickly enough back then, I imagine pinning a bird on her only made her worse.”

It was time to make his own play, “If we’re going to start handling weapons and munitions, not to mention storing MODs on site, we’re going to need to seriously beef up security around here, not to mention the civil unrest and uptick in crime.  Luckily, I saw this coming and you should already have my requisition on your desk.  Of course, I wasn’t anticipating this major of a change, so I’m sure I’ll need to make some supplementary requests as well.”

She waved his request away, “Obviously.  Consider it approved as well as any other requests within reason.  However, what I really wanted to talk to you about was arming our own security people.”

Freylee’s eyebrows shot up.  When out on patrol, his people already carried tasers and stunsticks and were equipped with ballistic vests and radios.  Their patrol vehicles had basic communication gear that allowed them to talk directly to the local law enforcement agencies and a containment cage in the back.  The vehicles also carried a shotgun.  “When you say ‘arm,’ what exactly are you talking about?” he queried. 

Her face hardened as she responded.  “CIE needs its own military-style unit.  One equipped to safeguard its interests and facilities against any potential threat.”

Freylee whistled.  “Are you talking military-grade hardware or a few armored patrol vehicles and semi-automatic rifles here?”

Her eyes bored into him, “I’m talking APCs, IFVs, maybe a VTOL or two and, most importantly, people trained to operate and fight IndustrialMech MODs.  You’ve got a military background, you know what it takes.  Send me list of the equipment you need to get started and I’ll run it by Colonel Yew this very afternoon.”

Freylee whistled again, even louder.  “Yes, ma’am.  I’ll start with our own people first, but I’ll also need to recruit from the outside as well, especially for the VTOL pilots.  I think I could get a company sized unit off the ground and running in a few months if I can get the equipment and personnel I need in short order.”

Her face never moved.  “Tell me what you need, and I’ll see that you get it, Josh.  You’ve got some long days ahead of you.  We all do.  I’ll update you after my meeting with Colonel Yew.  You may go.”

He nodded.  By the time he stood, she had already shifted her attention to something else.  As he exited her office, he glanced over a Joff.  “Take good care of her, she’s going to need it.”

Surprised, Joff just stared at him.

---

The first thing Colonel Rebecca Yew noticed was the smell.  A rich, meaty aroma wafting from a silver tureen filled with stew.  Competing with the fragrance was that of freshly baked bread, neatly sliced and arrayed on an adjacent platter, steam still rising gently from it.  A crystal pitcher of iced tea, fresh mint leaves floating on top, completed the spread.  Even with all the critical issues pressing at her mind, she couldn’t help but be distracted by the offerings.  As she entered the small conference room, now dining room, Carnwath Industrial Equipment CEO Liza Killgore waved her to a chair directly across from her.

“Colonel Yew, I know how busy we both are, so I thought we could kill two birds with one stone.”  Killgore motioned to the spread.

Yew nodded as she took the indicated chair, “A lunch meeting.  How efficient.”

Joff seemingly materialized out of nowhere and, with just few deft motions, he ladled the stew in bowls, placed two slices of hot bread on the small plates next to them and filled their glasses with iced tea.  At a nod from Killgore he just as suddenly disappeared.

Eschewing both her spoon and the neatly sliced bread, Yew reached across the table to the remaining hunk of unsliced bread.  Grabbed it, she ripped off a chunk and dunked it into the stew.  Using it as a spoon, she shoveled the piece of bean and meat covered bread into her mouth.

“Carnwath is like this loaf of bread,” she fixed Killgore with a steely stare, “just waiting to be devoured.”  She motioned to her plate of bread, “Some would surgically slice us up,” then she ripped off another piece of bread, “others would simply tear us apart to get what they want.”  She submerged her next chuck of bread.  It came out red, saturated with the rich tomato base of the stew, a few tendrils of shredded meat hanging from it.  “Either way, it’s going to be covered in blood and gore.”  She popped it into her mouth with a wolfish grin.

Killgore frowned, “We are a member of the Republic of the Sphere.  I’m sure Legate O'Mallory has resources he can call upon to ensure the peace.”

Yew nodded, “He does and he has.  Which is why I am here.  I’m ready to transfer the first shipment of heavy weapons and electronics to CIE.  I want you to begin retrofitting your existing stock of AgroMechs as soon as possible.  I will post a company of Carnwath Militia at your main assembly site to both ensure security as well as to test the modifications before they are put into service.  You’ve already had a chance to review the design modifications.  Are there any issues?”

Killgore had another spoonful of Brunswick stew, followed by a sip of tea.  “My engineering team is confident we can do the job.  There are no blocking technical issues.”  She paused, stirring her tea before taking another sip.  “However, Governor Xianglo’s recently announced curfew has put my third shift in a difficult position.  With travel restrictions in place, my Shift III workers cannot legally get to work and back to their families.  Not only is this going to cut productivity by at least a third, it’s also going to cut the company’s already slim profit margins to practically zero.  I still have to absorb the facility’s operating costs even when it’s not technically operating.  To say nothing of the cost of increased security.”

Yew’s face tightened.  “I can speak with the Governor.  It may be possible to have your Shift III workers categorized as ‘essential’ and allowed to travel during curfew.  They would be required to carry a special permit, but I suspect that is minor inconvenience when compared to the… ahh… alternative.”

Killgore smiled as she took small bit of sliced bread.  “And I’m glad you mentioned security.  Given you’re essentially asking CIE to become a defense contractor, I’ve got serious concerns about the safety of our people and facilities.  My Chief Security Officer, Josh Freylee was in here just before you arrived.  I can assure you, he shares your concerns.  To be perfectly blunt, Colonel, when CIE begins manufacturing engines of war, we also become a target.”

Yew grimaced.  “To some extent that is true, which is why I plan on stationing a full company of Carnwath Militia here.”

Killgore’s eyes glittered, “While I’m sure your intentions are quite sincere, Colonel, in my line of work appearances are equally, sometimes even more, important.  I’ve got a fiduciary duty to our shareholders and you must understand that when an entire Militia unit motors through the front gate and sets up camp, it’s going to appear as if CIE has just been nationalized.  While I can explain it away for the short-term, especially given all the recent civil unrest, I need a long term solution that will ease the fears of my Board of Directors and our investors.”

Yew fought to keep from looking annoyed, “I’m a military commander not a corporate baron.  What you saying, exactly?”

Killgore smiled sweetly, taking another sip of tea.  “I’m saying, Colonel, that in the long term, CIE needs to be able to provide its own security.  Besides, we both know the Carnwath Militia isn’t that large of an organization.  I’m sure you are already hard pressed to secure all of the locations and people that need protection.  And, at least according to you, it’s only going to get worse.”  She slid a noteputer across the conference table.

Yew took the offered tablet, quickly scanning it.  “Armored personnel carriers, infantry fighting vehicles, reconnaissance helicopters and an assortment of support weapons and small arms.  This is quite an… ambitious list.  Not to mention your own small IndustrialMech force.”

“Once we’ve established our own legitimate security force, the continued presence of the militia will be a non-issue.  Colonel, this benefits us all.  CIE can take at least partial, if not complete, responsibility for the security of our facilities, freeing up additional resources for you, while continuing to provide modified IndustrialMechs to the militia.  And, by moving into a new market, CIE can ensure its financial solvency and can continue to be a good corporate citizen.”

Yew grunted.  “This was Freylee’s idea wasn’t it?  Equipment issues aside, just the permitting required for a private force like this presents a huge challenge.  Both the Legate and Governor will need to sign off on this, and, frankly, I’m not sure that they will.”

“You want your IndustrialMechs MODs, don’t you?  Oh, and there is also the small matter of payment.  While you are supplying parts and expertise, CIE is responsible for the manufacturing, assembly and fitting of the chassis.  I’ve must, at a minimum, cover my costs on this venture.”

Yew grinned, “I couldn’t agree more.  The extensive list of military hardware you have requested represents a significant portion of the planet’s overall defense investment.  The militia must recoup those losses as soon as possible in order to maintain combat effectiveness at current levels.  In fact, taking delivery of the first company of MODs will only return us to our current level of capability.  With what you are proposing, the militia won’t actually see significant increase in capabilities until the third or fourth shipment.”

---

Governor Justin Xianglo had practically worn ruts in the thick pile carpet adorning his office floor as he paced incessantly, muttering, “Every crisis is an opportunity,” to himself as if it were a mantra.  A knock on his office door brought him, at least temporarily, to a stop.

“Enter!”

Planetary Legate Justin O’Mallory, the highest ranking Republic official on planet, entered.  Behind him followed Colonel Rebecca Yew, the commanding officer of the Carnwath Militia, the largest military force on planet.  He repeatedly flicked his hand towards the chairs fronting his desk, “Sit down, Sit down!”  He rubbed his hands together nervously as he slid behind his desk.  “So?”

The militia colonel spoke first, “Governor, CIE has agreed, in principal, to supply us with IndustrialMech MODs.  They have asked for special travel considerations for their Shift III workers so they can maintain their around-the-clock operations and they have also agreed to allow me to station a full company of militia at the plant to ensure security.”

Yew looked over at Legate O’Mallory as she continued, “However, CIE also has plans to expand and arm their own security force.  As such, they have requested a significant amount of military hardware including APCs, IFVs, VTOLs and various small arms and support weapons.  I estimate CIE intends to outfit a full mechanized battalion, although it will likely take them at least a year to reach full strength given the need for personnel and training.  They could reach company strength, however, within three months.  It seems likely, as well, their forces will field their own MODs.”

Legate O’Mallory’s face tightened as he responded to her.  “Republic law absolutely forbids the creation of private armies.  This is exactly the kind of militaristic opportunism Devlin Stone, and countless others, worked so tirelessly to end.  And now, here on Carnwath, it rears its ugly head, threatening the people of the Republic with violence even as they try to twist, manipulate and extort their very own people.  We cannot be party to this kind of wanton fear mongering.  This request borders on seditious.”

O’Mallory turned back to face the governor, “Justin, we are not under attack.  Nor is there even the slightest indication that some kind of invasion is imminent.  Damien Redburn is Exarch and Senator Kev Rosse has already proposed the RAF be strengthened significantly.  If the Republic has enemies, there is little doubt the RAF is even now ready, willing and able to defend it members and its borders.  The last thing we need is to sow even more chaos by supplying a bunch of profit-seeking civilians military-grade weaponry.  This goes against everything the Republic stands for.”

Xianglo wordlessly shifted his gaze to the militia colonel.  Yew locked eyes with him, pausing a moment before answering his silent query.  “The fundamental question at issue here is simply whether Carnwath is capable of defending itself.  To the best of my knowledge, the closest RAF forces, the IX Principes Guards, are stationed on Kimball II, which is over 30 light years, or two jumps, away.  Given the current HPG blackout, combined with the lack of regular interstellar traffic, our ability to contact the RAF in the event of an unexpected crisis is severely limited.  In any case, the primary responsibility for the defense of the planet has always lain with the Carnwath Planetary Militia.  To the extent that we can bolster our combat capabilities, it is my recommendation that we do so.  The obvious, and most expeditious, way to do so is to supplement our forces with MODs.”

O’Mallory grimaced.  “Let us suppose, for the sake of argument, that the Republic finds itself under attack.  Who would attack Prefecture IX?  The Lyran Commonwealth?  The Wolves?  The Rasalhague Dominion?  The IX Principes Guards are stationed on Kimball II specifically to deter such aggression.  And, given our position, Carnwath would almost certainly find itself in the second, if not third wave, of such an attack, giving the Republic time to respond while also allowing us time to prepare.”

O’Mallory looked a Yew, forcing a smile on his face.  “I understand the Colonel’s desire to be prepared for any contingencies, any good commanding officer ought to.  In fact, I support it.  What I am opposed to is allowing CIE to create their own rogue military force.  There is simply no need for it.  If the Colonel wants MODs, CIE should provide them.” 

He turned to fix the governor with his smile, “You, as governor, have the authority to simply order CIE to do so if needed.  I wonder if, perhaps, the CPM could simply take delivery of stock IndustrialMechs and make the necessary modification themselves.  That way, CIE can continue operations as normal and the Colonel still gets the MODs she wants.”

Xianglo’s face all but lit at the Legate’s suggestion, “Yes, yes!  An excellent suggestion!  We can purchase the IndustrialMechs and then the CPM can refit them.  I will authorize travel credentials for CIE’s third shift workers; we pay the established stock price for the IndustrialMechs, and the CPM gets MODs.  Wonderful!  Wonderful!”

Yew frowned.  The Legate had proposed what, on the surface, was an elegant solution.  In fact, she had thought of it herself weeks ago and tasked her engineers with conducting a feasibility study.  The results were discouraging to say the least.  “The CPM lacks the requisite facilities, and to a lesser extent, the expertise, to refit IndustrialMechs.  The conversion is a factory-level refit.  The CPM does not currently field ‘Mechs of any kind.  We simply don’t have the experience, and frankly, the time to develop it, in order to take on a project of this magnitude, especially with all of the civil unrest.  We’re stretched thin as it is.”

O’Mallory grimaced, “Then let me offer another solution.  Temporarily draft the necessary CIE personnel into the CPM.  It is within the power of the governor to do this.  This will also alleviate the need for special travel permits as the necessary CIE workers will effectively become members of the militia.  And, to the extent you require access to additional facilities, the governor can simply order CIE to provide them.”

Governor Xianglo blanched.  “You’re suggesting I draft citizens into the militia!?  And, on top of that, I order CIE to turn over their facilities to the military?!

---
« Last Edit: 05 June 2020, 15:25:24 by Sigil »

Sigil

• Lieutenant
« Reply #203 on: 14 April 2020, 16:33:30 »
[The second abbreviated and final part of the sketch.  It was written to explain the existence of a 30-ton "Reaper" AgroMech MOD I designed for a campaign I ran a year or so ago.  I made the PCs start in Reaper IndustrialMechs  >:D]

Carnwath
Prefecture IX
Republic of the Sphere
5 November 3132

“What the hell!?” Anson Freedman exclaimed as he scrolled down his message feed, his eyes stopping on a “From” field ominously displayed as “Human Resources – Carnwath Industrial Equipment”.  The subject line made his heart sink.  “Employment Status Adjustment.”  “Great,” he muttered, “first the curfew and now I’ve been fired.”  In his experience, any message from Human Resources was invariably bad news.

A muffled voice reached out from behind him, “What is it now?  Rationing?  This whole planet is going to hell in a hand basket and fast, too.”

Freedman turned around, just catching a tussle of black hair appear from beneath the covers of his bed.  His studio compartment was all of one room, roughly divided into a bedroom and kitchenette, with a battered couch marking the living space.  Weak light came in through the sole window, provided by the lights from the street below.  He preferred the dim light; it helped hide the relative squalor in which he lived.  A few mostly empty containers of take-out lined the kitchen counter and a string of discarded clothes littered the floor.

“Get your ass out of bed and make me some instant,” he growled. 

Light laughter filtered through the room, “Baby, you don’t pay me for that.  Make your own damn coffee,” the coif of black hair disappeared under the covers.

Freedman grumbled, “Well, your meal ticket probably just got canned.  So how about you do me a good turn for a change and make my damn instant.”

Amy Ling suddenly sat up, the covers spilling off, revealing her shapely nut-brown form.  “What?  Are you serious!?  You aren’t just shitting me, trying to get a bit of free sympathy,” she giggled.  “I bet your trying to get a free one.”

Freedman grimaced, flipping the screen around and casting a ghostly blue light across her.  “Nope. See here?  A message from Human Resources.  They only send out bad news.  Don’t even have the god forsaken decency to tell me to my face.”

Ling scrunched her eyes, “You haven’t even actually read it.”  She eyed him suspiciously.

He shrugged, “Don’t need to.  I already know what it says.  I’ve been around the block a few times.  I’m not stupid.”

“Let me see it,” she slipped out of bed, covering the short distance across the room in all of four steps, and plopped down in his lap.  “I’ll read it if you’re not man enough too,” she smirked.

He squeezed her, “Go ahead, baby, and then maybe you’ll feel sympathetic,” he grinned suggestively at her.

She snorted, “Not likely, but you have to promise to close your eyes while I read it.”

Freedman obeyed, screwing his eyes tightly closed and gripping her tight.

Ling popped the message open.

To: Freedman, Anson
Importance:  High
Subject:  Employment Status Adjustment

Effective immediately, your Employment Status has been changed from “Nominal” to “Privileged.”  This change is to facilitate Shift III operators’ ability to travel to and from Carnwath Industrial Plant #3.  Attached to this message are new personalized identification and travel credentials that must be presented to officials when traveling between the hours of 12:00am and 6:00am. These documents only authorize travel to and from Carnwath Industrial Plant #3. 

In addition, effectively immediately, you are now classified as “Essential” with the attendant increase in pay.  All vacation and time off are suspended as of 3 November 3132 until further notice. Your service to Carnswath Industrial Equipment is sincerely appreciated during these difficult times.  If you have any questions or need additional information please contact Human Resources directly.

“Holy shit!  You just got promoted!” she screamed as she began bouncing up and down on his lap. 

Freedman’s eyes popped open, confusion all over his face.  “What!?”

Ling leapt up, winking at him and sauntering off. “I think I’ll make your instant now, hot stuff.”

---

Anson Freedman deftly wheeled the crate containing yet another 3406 diesel engine over to the assembly gantry.  “Hey, Gary!  I got another one for ya!”

Wiping the sweat and smearing grease across his face while he was at it, Gary Anders lowered the lift from the 30-ton CIE “Reaper” AgroMech he was working on.

“Dammit, Anson, what the hell is the point?!  I’ve been pulling out 3508s all freakin’ night.  Not a damn thing wrong the ’08.  That baby puts out 1,000 bhp at 1500 rpm and over 3,000 ft/lbs of torque.  We’ve been using ‘em for years, what the hell gives all the sudden?”

Freedman shrugged, “Who cares?  Pays the bills, doesn’t it?  Donahue wants ‘06s retrofitted into all the Reapers.  Must be changing the line over or something.”

Anders snorted, “Since when did anyone want to make the Reaper go slower?  Shoot, up until now it’s been all about making the damn thing faster!”  He dropped his voice down a bit lower, “And, get this: I’m rippin’ the whole damn emissions control system off the ‘06s before I put ‘em in.  The tree huggers would freakin’ flip if they knew.  I’ll say this much though, those ‘06s without all that emission bull crap at least lets ‘em put on their big boy pants.  Still, replacing a 4-stroke V-8 with an inline 6, you’ll be lucky to get a Reaper past 50 kph before hitting the redline.  Just don’t make no damn sense, no how,” Anders shook his head.

Freedman shrugged again as he lowered the engine crate.  “It’s a helluva lot lighter though, Gary.  You gotta give it that.”

Anders guffawed, “So what?  You gonna tell me their worried about fuel efficiency?  The strain their gonna put on those toy ‘06s is gonna wipe out any savings they might get from a few gallons of diesel.  Damn silly.”

Freedman hopped off the loader and looked up at the 30-ton Reaper.  “Nah, it’s a whole lot bigger than just an engine swap, Gary.  I’ve been running loads all over the plant.”  He stepped in closer, “I’m dropping off crates marked ‘Republic Armed Forces’ further down the line.  I saw Higgins pop one open. Damn thing had a 125mm tank gun in it, along with all the goodies.  He said he was replacing the entire right arm lift hoist assembly with it.”

Anders paused a moment, his face screwing up in thought.  “You mean their arming the Reapers?  Blake’s Blood!”  He looked up at the Reaper as if he’d never seen one before continuing, “Well now, that makes some sense.  I mean the special travel permits, the beefed-up security, the militia.  Hell, I was preparing to tell the old lady I’d been fired when I got the message.  I figured with the curfew and all the trouble, CIE was gonna start cutting shifts.  Instead, we got special treatment!  Damn crazy world.”  He shook his head.

Anders nodded in agreement, “Yeah, and I bet it’s going to get a whole lot crazier real soon.  Anyway, I need to scoot.  I’ve got a pallet of heavy industrial plating I’ve got to deliver next.”  He whipped his forklift a full 180 degrees and accelerated, heading back to the crowded loading docks.

---

Dave Talley

• Major
« Reply #204 on: 14 April 2020, 23:02:46 »
moar!!!!!
“Toe jam in training”

JA Baker

DOC_Agren

• Major
« Reply #205 on: 15 April 2020, 11:44:50 »
New stuff  :thumbsup:

cklammer

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #206 on: 16 April 2020, 05:24:46 »
Nice

snakespinner

• Captain
« Reply #207 on: 16 April 2020, 21:21:21 »
Always happy when Sigil posts new stories. :beer:
Growing up is optional.

Sigil

• Lieutenant
"Black Caravel"
« Reply #208 on: 05 June 2020, 15:15:31 »
Writer's Note:  Yet another orphaned story I found laying around my hard drive.  At the time I was heavily playing the HBS BattleTech video game and idly wondering how the Aurigan Coalition Military (ACM) might have initially been created

“None of the Great Houses of the Inner Sphere are going to return to our little stretch of the Rimward Periphery.  And why should they?  Not even the Taurians have so much as looked askance in our direction since the founding of the Coalition, now some 35 years ago.  Are there any among us who disagree?”

Lord Mateo Espinosa’s hawkish eyes swept the assembly of Lords.  The Lord or Lady of each of the seven of Founding Houses of the Aurigan Coalition were present for today’s debate.  Nominally, the meeting was presided over by High Lord Tamati Arano, but in truth his own House Espinosa combined with that of House Madeira held the true reins of power.

“I thought not.  Which is why the time has come to further expand the boundaries of the Coalition.” 

Espinosa nodded towards the High Lord before continuing, “Much has been accomplished over the past 35 years, but the Coalition is now rootbound and moribund.”  He held his swarthy arms up, hands open, as if forestalling some assault, “No, hear me out.  What was the last new enterprise, the last technological innovation, the last new idea to come out of the Coalition?  We have solidified our existing industries, maximized productivity and efficiency but we have not accomplished anything of true importance.  While the standard of living has improved somewhat, generally we are living no better, in fact, worse, than previous generations.”

Prime Minister Tokoni Parata waved his hand dismissively, “Mateo, the same words could be spoken in the Magistry or the Concordat, or even among the Great Houses themselves.  The whole of humanity has been at war since the Fall of the Star League.  Everyone has suffered, technology has declined across the board everywhere.  We are doing every bit as well as our neighbors, better than most actually, to simply maintain what little is left behind.  What are you proposing with these grand words of yours?”

Hertog Danique Gallas narrowed her icy blue eyes, “Mechdur.  Lord Espinosa wants the industrial planet of Mechdur.”

Epinosa nodded towards Gallas, a predatory grin crossing his sharp features.  “My Lady sees straight to the heart of the matter.  If the Coalition can secure Mechdur, we will all benefit.  Aspero-Dinton Mining is headquartered there.  Aside from their mining interests and refining operations, Aspero-Dinton also manufactures heavy weapons and high-grade armor while Mechdur Motive Systems and Heavy Equipment produces IndustrialMechs and vehicles.  If the Coalition is to survive in the long run, we must be able to effectively defend our holdings.  We cannot simply rely on the handful of ancestral BattleMechs scattered among our various Houses.  We cannot afford to purchase them from the Taurians, even if they were willing to sell them, and the Magistracy only manufactures the lightest of BattleMechs, Stingers, Wasps and Locusts, along with the occasional Shadow Hawk.  We need to build a true military and Mechdur could make that possible.”

High Lord Arano stroked his chin thoughtfully as his eyes roved across the Council.  “An ambitious proposal indeed, Lord Espinosa, though I am inclined to agree with you about the need to establish a standing military force to safeguard the Coalition.  How would you go about recruiting Mechdur? They are already an established regional trading hub and we do much trade with them already.  Why would they want to join the Coalition?”

Hertog Gallas smiled, “If there is one thing Mechdur understands, it’s business.  The planet is not run by politicians but rather by The Oligarchy, a collection of three of the largest business owners on the planet, led by Counselor Lester Mwenye, who owns Aspero-Dinton Mining.  The proposition to join the Coalition must be a business proposition, not a political one.”

---

Mechdur
Central Processing, Durandal
May 2 2945

Counselor Lester Mwenye, owner of Aspero-Dinton Mining, the largest and most profitable corporation on Mechdur and “First among Equals,” addressed his two fellow Counselors in Central Processing, the administrative headquarters of The Oligarchy.

“House Gallas and the Gwendor-Dorwinion Cartel are offering to build a JumpShip maintenance slip here at our nadir point.  While Mechdur is already the primary regional trading hub, a JumpShip maintenance facility would make us an even more attractive destination.  The nearest similar facility is in the Sterope system in the Taurian Concordat and even then, Taurus Territorial Industries’ expertise is in DropShips not JumpShips.”

Counselor Lavonda Ocampo nodded, “House Espinosa is anxious to purchase as many IndustrialMechs and heavy vehicles as my company is willing to sell.  In exchange, they are offering to supply a steady stream of raw and refined materials. Such an arrangement would cut into our current business arrangement, Counselor Mwenye, to the potential detriment of Aspero-Dinton.”

Mwenye waved away Ocampo’s concerns, “Lord Espinosa’s plan is obvious.  He wants to build an army.  He’s not only interested in your IndustrialMechs and vehicles, but also in large quantities of military-grade armor and heavy weapons, which of course only Aspero-Dinton can provide.  It seems likely he plans to convert your IndustrialMechs and heavy vehicles into machines of war.  Certainly, that is well within the capabilities of House Karosas’ engineers.  In any case, to the extent I can conserve Mechdur’s own natural resources, the longer I can sustain my own local mining operations, perhaps even shift local resources to my orbital colony on Jeonsimin.  I am not concerned about any potential revenue losses, Counselor Lavonda, I see only increased profit potential.”

Counselor Ursula Rich smiled, “I too see that same potential, Counselor Mwenye.  Emir Rashida Madeira of House Madeira has offered favorable exchange terms to The Hennessy Group.  Emir Maderia owns Perennial Diversified and has offered to exchange foodstuffs, including some of his companies genetically modified seed stock and advanced farming technologies, in exchange for consumer goods and electronics.  I believe the Emir is partnering with Prime Minister Tokoni Parata for this arrangement.  Guldra IV, the ancestral home of House Maderia, already supplies foodstuffs for most of the Aurigan Coalition and it appears to me they lack the production capacity to meet their current obligations if they are also supplying The Hennessy Group.  However, both Tyrlon V and Tyrlon VI, ruled by House Parata, are rumored to have excellent agricultural potential.  I suspect there is an arrangement between the two Houses, as House Parata is the junior member of the Coalition.”

Counselor Ocampo nodded, “It seems we all agree the terms are quite favorable to The Oligarchy.  Clearly, we all stand to profit.  The question that remains, however, is what additional risk are we taking on if we choose to join the Coalition?”

Rich spoke up, “Emir Madeira did inquire if The Hennessy Group does business with Pinard-Dicolais Electronics in the Concordat.  In light of what Counselor Mwenye suggested, I suspect Madeira is interested in acquiring fire control systems and communications gear for these potential IndustrialMech conversions.  Still, I see little risk in serving as the middleman between the Taurians and the Coalition, even if it is for military equipment.  That is nothing we have not done in the past.”

Mwenye stroked his chin, “True.  However, if we join the Coalition and, as we suspect, the Coalition creates a significant military force, the Taurians could potentially view the Coalition as a threat.  What if the Coalition plans to continue to expand Rimward and claim planets such as Zangal, Enkra, Umgrad or Aea?  These planets are all within a single jump of Mechdur and they lay directly on the border with the Concordat.  The Taurians might, in the least, severely curtail trade with us, cut us off completely, or in the worst case, take military action against the Coalition.  If the Taurians look to a military solution, wouldn’t Mechdur with our industrial base be the obvious target?”

Ocampo weighed in, “The Coalition is governed by a Council made of up representatives from each planet in the Coalition.  If we joined, Mechdur would get a seat on the Council.  There are currently six members on the Council plus High Lord Tamati Arano, the elected monarch.  Mechdur would make it seven.  We would, presumably, at least have a say in whether the Coalition continued to expand and if so in which direction.  In the same way, I’m confident we would be kept up-to-date on the status of any military force.”

Mwenye frowned, “What good is one vote among seven?  We would be powerless to stop anything.  And what do we know of political intrigue?  Our strength is in profit and loss statements, balance sheets, and business matters, not politics.”

Rich looked at both of his fellow Counselors, “It is a gross oversimplification, Counselor Mwenye, to suggest Mechdur’s influence at Council would be so trivial.  Already we are looking at business arrangements with at least three Houses, including two of most influential, Espinosa and Maderia.  This will give us the leverage needed to make sure the Coalition does not do anything that may jeopardize our position if it comes to that.”

“Besides,” Rich grinned, “It’s not as if we couldn’t pull out of the Coalition at some future point if we felt our industries were under significant risk.”

Mwenye grimaced, “Don’t be a fool, Ursula.  Once the Coalition is armed, it will be no simple matter to withdraw.  The Coalition could turn on us every bit as quickly as the Concordat could.  No, if we join the Coalition, there is no going back, not without significant pain.”

---

The Aurigan Coalition
Coromodir V
The Hornburg, New Madrid
9 January 2946

From the observation tower of his ancestral stronghold, Lord Mateo Espinosa watched the lance of modified IndustrialMechs maneuver across the hot, arid plains of his homeworld of Coromodir V in his rangefinder binoculars.  Next to him stood Tyesha Silk, the House Weapons Master with her own matching set of binoculars.  Her eyes swept back and forth across the ‘Mechs as they shifted from a line abreast to echelon right, wheeling to the east as they advanced on a number of static targets her technicians had set up earlier as part of the exercise.  A personal communicator wrapped around the side of her ebony face, allowing her to monitor the lance command frequency as well as to communicate with the forward observation post that was coordinating the exercise. 

Her binoculars showed the IndustrialMechs plodding forward at just over 40 kph as they closed with the plywood targets.  As the range to the targets closed to within a quarter of a kilometer, they each launched a salvo of short-range missiles, puffs of white smoke erupting from the left side of their ‘Mech’s chest.  Switching her binoculars over to infrared mode, Silk noted the thermal bloom centered on each ‘Mech.  A second salvo would cause the myomer bundles that served as the ‘Mechs muscles to begin to lose efficiency, slowing the ‘Mech down.  The heat might even reach a level that would affect the fire control system, causing the targeting and tracking system to glitch or possibly even fail. 

As the missiles exploded, the four targets were obscured by flames, smoke and geysers of dirt and rock.  As the smoke cleared, the shattered, burning remains of the plywood targets were all that were left.  The IndustrialMechs, however, continued to advance, raking the remnants with the machine guns located in their ‘Mech’s right arm.   

Lord Espinosa lowered his binoculars, shaking his head, his displeasure obvious.  “They are too slow, Tyesha, their effective range too limited, and they run too hot.  If these ‘Mechs are caught in the open, a lance of Scorpion tanks could likely destroy them before they were able to close the range enough to return fire.  And if they were Vedettes, it would be a forgone conclusion.  And if they are able to close, or even set up an ambush, after two salvos their effectiveness is impaired by their heat levels.  The Karosas engineers must do better.  This configuration is not acceptable, not considering the resources we are pouring into these units.”

The Weapons Master nodded.  “My Lord, I will speak with Engineer Karosas and see what additional ideas he and his team can come up with.  The performance of the ‘Mechs aside, however, the piloting program is meeting expectations.  We will have a cadre of trained ‘Mech pilots by years end.  With your permission, I would like to have Senor Tech Santiago build a few remote-controlled targets so the pilots can practice against moving targets.”

Espinosa grunted as he watched the IndustrialMechs reform into a column and begin heading back to The Hornburg.  “Permission granted.  What is the status of the armor formations?”

Silk lowered her binoculars.  “So far, we’ve secured a lance of Galleon light tanks and a lance of Scorpion light tanks.  The training is going well, and we should have at least a full company worth of crews fully trained by October at the latest.  The Galleons give us some mobility, although as with the IndustrialMechs, their range is quite limited.  The Scorpion’s autocannon gives them respectable range, but they are just as slow as the IndustrialMechs.  Where we are lacking is in reconnaissance platforms.  J. Edgar hovercraft would be ideal and Pinard Protectorate Limited produces them in the Concordat.  I recommend we look into acquiring a full lance of them.  As we did for the electronics, we can use one of the corporations on Mechdur as a middle-man.”

Espinosa frowned, “This is quickly becoming an expensive endeavor.  The hard currency earmarked for this project is already all but gone.  We will need the High Lord’s assistance in raising additional funds.  Regardless, make the necessary inquiries and find how just how many C-bills would be needed.  Our army must have eyes.”

The Weapons Master nodded, “Yes, my Lord.”

Espinosa turned to look at Silk, “And what of the mechanized infantry?”

“We have a reinforced company undergoing training now.  They are outfitted with a dozen heavy APCs.  Specifically, lance of heavy tracked APCs armed with SRM-4s and heavy machine guns, a lance of heavy wheeled APCs each carrying six machine guns, and another wheeled lance equipped with an LRM-5 and dual machine guns.  Each APC carries a full rifle squad of 28 soldiers.”

Espinosa nodded, “Good, good.  By the end of the year, I want the Aurigan Coalition Military to be at battalion strength at least.  Make it happen.  Keep me informed of what additional resources you need.”

The Weapons Master bowed, “Yes, my Lord.  It will be so.”

--- 

The Aurigan Coalition
Coromodir V
The Hornburg, New Madrid
15 March 2946

Engineer Dovydas Karosas reviewed the performance data from the IndustrialMech MOD trials for the third time.  While all of the ‘Mech’s systems had performed within specifications, Weapon Master Silk had rated the design as unacceptable.  Too slow, effective range was to short, and the ‘Mech ran too hot, she reported.  The Coalition could purchase a full lance of Scorpions for the cost of just one of these IndustrialMech MODs, which ran over 1.3 million C-bills per unit.

Karosas pulled up the blueprints for the MOD.  There was nothing he could realistically do about the speed.  Only Mechdur Motive Systems and Heavy Equipment had the facilities and expertise to build an entirely new drive system for the ‘Mech and that was out of scope for this project.  The issue of effective range, however, he could address.  He muttered to himself as he considered the I/NCK "Thornbush" SRM-4 launchers mounted one each in the ‘Mech’s left torso and left arm where the lift hoist and mining drill, respectively, had originally been.  The engineering required had been complex.  With only a single ton magazine in the chest feeding both launchers, the feed mechanism had to literally pass through the shoulder and down the arm in order get to the launcher in the left arm.  Surprisingly, it had worked reliably during the field testing, but he suspected if the ‘Mech took any damage to the left side, the mechanism would likely jam or otherwise fail.

Maybe he could kill two, even three, birds with one stone.  If he replaced the Thornbush in the left arm with an arm-mount Holly LRM-5, he could simultaneously eliminate the complicated feed mechanism, increase the combat range by over 240%, and help reduce the heat load as well by encouraging bracket fire.  He could then place the one-ton magazine for the Holly directly adjacent to the launcher itself, by far the most reliable configuration. 

A few quick mental calculations revealed this revised configuration was technically feasible but would almost certainly require the removal of one of the two Bulldog machine guns and the reduction of its magazine to a half-ton in order to maintain the overall weight of the IndustrialMech.  With a few deft strokes, he began revising the blueprints as the idea began to fully blossom in his mind.  This would work.

---

The Aurigan Coalition
Coromodir V
Isla Proving Grounds, Outside of New Madrid
15 March 2946

Captain Lino Pritchard pushed the control stick in his left hand as far forward as it would go, forcing the 35-ton IndustrialMech to accelerate to its maximum speed of just over 60 kph.  He could feel the Leenex 140 internal combustion engine roaring underneath him, sending vibrations up through his seat and black, thick smoke belching out of the dual exhaust stacks jutting up behind the ‘Mech’s shoulders.  With his right hand he worked to center the targeting reticle on the plywood target well over half a kilometer away. 

The charging IndustrialMech proved to be far from a stable platform and although he kept his reticle steady the way the ‘Mech was lurching forward caused the target to appear to bounce up and down on his rudimentary heads-up-display.  Adjusting to the rhythm of the ‘Mech’s footfalls, he timed his shot for when the ‘Mech hit the low point of its stride.  Five long-range missiles erupted from the ‘Mech’s left arm, flames streaming out as their rocket engines ignited.  They arced ahead of him, descending upon the target even as his continued to race ahead.  Explosions and geysers of dirt and rock bracketed the target, causing only minor damage. 
As he closed to within 400 meters, the Holly LRM launcher finished recycling and he immediately launched a second salvo at the target.  This flight flew true, as three of the five missiles slammed into the plywood target and then exploded, sending a shower of splinters in all directions. 

As the rangefinder spun down below 250 meters, he triggered the ‘Mech’s second major weapon system, a I/NCK "Thornbush" SRM-4.  Four fat, stubby missiles exploded from the left side of the IndustrialMech’s chest, burning straight towards the shattered remnants of the target.  As they obscured the target in fire and smoke, the Holly recycled and at just under 200 meters he let fly with it as well. 

A wave of heat washed over him as the IndustrialMechs cooling system struggled to keep up and failed, the temperature gauge now beginning to steadily climb out of the green.  A gust of wind whipped across the target, revealing what little was now left it, a few burning wooden shards and a series of craters.  Easing the throttle back, he slowed the racing IndustrialMech, launching another salvo as SRMs as he did so, all but obliterating the target.  He pulled to a stop less than 100 meters away and raked the area with the ‘Mech’s final weapon, a Bulldog machine gun, hosing the area down with a stream of lead as the temperature gauge settled comfortably on the lower range of the orange. 

The speaker built into his headset crackled to life, “Omega Observation to Romeo Alpha, engage all weapon safeties and return to the barn for debriefing.  Acknowledge.  Over.”

“Romeo Alpha, engaging weapon safeties.  Weapon safeties engaged.  Returning to base.  Over.”

Pritchard smiled as he turned the 35-ton around.  This design was a considerable improvement over the original prototype.  The Karosas’ engineering team had succeeding in addressing the most pressing issues.  This model could engage at ranges equal to that of a true BattleMech and was not nearly as easy to overheat as the original.  The Holly LRM-5 would be especially effective against conventional vehicles, potentially disabling them before they were close enough to engage, and the machine gun would at least force aggressive infantry to keep their heads down, an important consideration given the ‘Mechs relatively slow speed and light armor.

With a glance at the fuel gauge he considered the ‘Mechs endurance.  BattleMechs were powered by fusion engines, effectively giving them unlimited power.  However, this ‘Mech used a conventional internal combustion engine which required fuel, severely limiting its range and forever tethering it to logistical support.  Then again, all of its weapons system required ammunition anyway, so logistical support was already a critical consideration.  In a defensive role, these machines would be a potent force.  As an offensive tool, they would have to be deployed carefully and supported properly or else risk disaster.

---

The Aurigan Coalition
Coromodir VI
Arano Palace, Cordia City
10 May 2946

High Lord Tamati Arano grimaced as he reviewed the numbers.  The Aurigan Coalition’s hard currency reserves would essentially be non-existent if he approved Lord Espinosa’s latest request.  This one was by far Espinosa’s most aggressive, a full 12 million C-bills for a lance of BattleMechs.  Looking up, he shot Maia Jaco, his cousin and the Chancellor of the Exchequer, a questioning glance.

“My Lord, it was clear from the beginning that creating the Aurigan Coalition Military was going to be an expensive proposition.  We are fortunate that House Gallas has waived all transportation costs and that House Parata and House Madeira have struck a trade deal with Mechdur Motive Systems and Heavy Equipment for the IndustrialMechs.  Unfortunately, there are only a few sources for the BattleMechs Lord Espinosa is requesting and they both require payment in C-bills.  Majesty Metals and Mining in the Magistracy and either Vandenberg Industries or Pinard Protectorate Limited in the Concordat.”

The High Lord’s grimace deepened, “Only once choice, really.  The Oligarchy has specifically requested we not purchase any military hardware from the Concordat, especially BattleMechs.  They were hesitant enough when we asked them to purchase fire control systems from Pinard-Dicola Electronics.  The Concordat is out of the question unless we can find a confidential third party to serve as our proxy.  Even then, if The Oligarchy found out, I’m sure they would take a dim view of our actions.  Not to mention that such an arrangement could not be discussed openly in the Council.  If we are to obtain the BattleMechs Mateo has requested, it will have to be from the Magistracy.”

“My Lord, we have already spent close to 4.5 million C-bills on the tanks and hovercraft he requested as well as another 2-plus million on armored personnel carriers and small arms.  If you approve Lord Espinosa’s latest request, the Coalition’s hard currency reserves will effectively be wiped out.  I strongly recommend against it.”

Arano nodded, “You are, of course, correct.  We cannot pauper the Coalition to build a military force.  The Coalition is descended from the Aurigan Trade Partnership, which was created primarily to foster trade and protect against the odd pirate attack.  Now the Coalition is taking on the trappings of a true interstellar nation and along with that comes the expenses of running a government.  I will not deny Lord Espinosa’s request out of hand for protecting its citizens ranks among the most fundamental responsibilities of any government.  Tell me, Maia, what can we afford in your estimation?”

Chancellor Jaco turned her gaze to her tablet, swiping across it a few times then tapping and scrolling.  “We could absorb 4 million with fairly minor impacts but anything over that will have come out of emergency reserves and would leave us vulnerable should anything unexpected happen.  This begs the larger question, my Lord, that you must address and soon.  The Coalition government needs additional revenue streams.  The inclusion of Mechdur into the Coalition has, and continues to be, a drain on our resources rather than a source of income.  The trade agreements with Mechdur are extremely generous.  Effectively, they pay no tax to the Coalition, on either imports or exports.”

A look of annoyance flashed across the High Lord’s face.  “We need Mechdur’s industrial production.  Surely, we can’t renegotiate the trade agreements so soon after they’ve joined.  That would be viewed as a bait and switch and damage our credibility.”

A smile crossed Jaco’s face, “No, my Lord, but I do have an idea.  As you know, the Gwendor-Dorwinion Cartel is in the process of building a JumpShip maintenance facility at Mechdur’s nadir point.  House Gallas is providing the labor, House Karosas the engineering, and Mechdur the materials.  The other Houses, including our own, are contributing funds.  Effectively, this JumpShip facility is being built by the Coalition even though it is understood that the Gwendor-Dorwinion Cartel will own and operate it.  It is a given this facility will increase JumpShip and DropShip traffic to and from Mechdur.  Instead of applying a duty to import and export goods, which is not permitted under the current agreements, the Coalition government could instead introduce a transportation tax on the DropShips themselves.  It would be a flat fee based on the class of the DropShip, rather than calculated based on its contents or gross weight.  This makes it much easier and cheaper to enforce as it does not require any inspections.”

Arano nodded, the beginning of a smile now appearing on his face as well.  “Yes, I see.  And I could propose this tax as a way to recoup the costs the Coalition is putting into the construction of the maintenance slip.  We could even sunset the tax once it has gathered an amount equal to the cost of the facility.  And, I know you’re a magician when it comes to numbers.” 

The smile on the High Lord’s face fully bloomed, “I imagine it could take over a decade to recoup the cost of the facility.  Maybe even longer.  As for Mateo’s request, I will recommend the Council authorize up to 4 million C-bills for the acquisition of BattleMechs from the Magistracy.”

---END
« Last Edit: 05 June 2020, 15:21:14 by Sigil »

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #209 on: 05 June 2020, 16:50:19 »
Heh... there are the "reins of power", and then there are the "REINS OF POWER"...  ^-^
« Last Edit: 06 June 2020, 05:01:11 by Daryk »