Author Topic: Deadborder's New MegaMek Icon Thread Two!  (Read 99728 times)

Deadborder

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Technical Victory!
    • Elmer Studios Blog
Re: Deadborder's New MegaMek Icon Thread Two!
« Reply #60 on: 05 August 2015, 03:36:13 »
And up next is one from the "I can't believe that somebody actually requested this" collection (Which also adds to the "Very annoying variant numbering scheme" collection as well), in the form of the Jackal. Its variants were hard to draw. Totally.

JA-KL-1532 Jackal

JA-KL-55 Jackal

JA-KL-1579 Jackal
Author of BattleCorps stories Grand Theft Agro and Zero Signal

How to Draw MegaMek Icons the Deadborder Way. Over 9000 so far. Determination or madness?

Kojak

• Major
  • Melancon Lives!
« Reply #61 on: 05 August 2015, 03:46:58 »
Wow, that was fast. Thanks as always, dude, you're the best.

"Deep down, I suspect the eject handle on the Hunchback IIC was never actually connected to anything. The regs just say it has to be there."
- Klarg1

Deadborder

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Technical Victory!
    • Elmer Studios Blog
« Reply #62 on: 05 August 2015, 07:11:36 »
Wow, that was fast. Thanks as always, dude, you're the best.

Glad you like it.

And I had one 3055 30-tonner allready on the books. So why not do the next one after it while I'm there?

How to Draw MegaMek Icons the Deadborder Way. Over 9000 so far. Determination or madness?

pheonixstorm

• Major
« Reply #63 on: 05 August 2015, 22:05:54 »
The Komodo looks like a pissed off ET  ;D

Deadborder

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Technical Victory!
    • Elmer Studios Blog
« Reply #64 on: 07 August 2015, 03:53:49 »
Time for another 'Mech in the odd designations series. Today, it's the Falcon Hawk, not to be confused with any one of the zillion or so other 'Mechs called Falcon-something or something-Hawk.

FNHK-9K Falcon Hawk

FNHK-9K1A Falcon Hawk

FNHK-9K1B Falcon Hawk

Deadborder

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Technical Victory!
    • Elmer Studios Blog
« Reply #65 on: 07 August 2015, 03:57:51 »
And how for another request. The Wraith was one I was happy to get, chiefly because it's one of my favourite 'Mechs full stop and, as such, I desperately wanted to give it a new icon. It was on my "personal annoyance" list, but getting it as a request bumped it up massively.

Plus I can cover all it's variants with one icon. I love it when that happens.

TR1/TR2/TR3 Wraith

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #66 on: 07 August 2015, 06:02:04 »
And how for another request. The Wraith was one I was happy to get, chiefly because it's one of my favourite 'Mechs full stop and, as such, I desperately wanted to give it a new icon. It was on my "personal annoyance" list, but getting it as a request bumped it up massively.

Plus I can cover all it's variants with one icon. I love it when that happens.

TR1/TR2/TR3 Wraith
Are you doing the experimental ones separate? TR2-X Wraith Alexander from XTRO Experimental Technical Readout: Gladiators?
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

Deadborder

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Technical Victory!
    • Elmer Studios Blog
« Reply #67 on: 10 August 2015, 03:08:50 »
Time for another 3055 'Mech with a weird designation and a strange shape that doesn't translate well. Yes, I know, this covers an awful lot of them. But for today, it's the Grim Reaper. The Icon actually looks bigger then I'd planned mainly because of it's essentially inverted pyramid shape that makes it's top-down a lot larger then it's shape would suggest.

GRM-R-PR29 Grim Reaper

GRM-R-PR30 Grim Reaper

GRM-R-PR31 Grim Reaper

Deadborder

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Technical Victory!
    • Elmer Studios Blog
« Reply #68 on: 12 August 2015, 03:22:48 »
The Bloodhound was an odd draw, to say the least. It's torso is actually very small and narrow, but the design of its legs and especially its arms cause it to sprawl insanely widely. The result is an icon that seems to be a lot bigger then it is. Of course, it was also a pain in the posterior to draw. But a request is a request...

Worst part is that of my current request list, it's not the one I'm fearing most.

B1-HND Bloodhound

B2-HND Bloodhound

B3-HND Bloodhound

Deadborder

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Technical Victory!
    • Elmer Studios Blog
« Reply #69 on: 12 August 2015, 03:29:32 »
The Nightsky (Not to be confused with the Nightstar, Night Hawk, Night Gyr or a fictional luxury car) is one of my favourite medium 'Mechs, and one I infinitely prefer over its predecessor. It's also lacking in the weird shapes variant naming of many other 3055 'Mechs. So that's all cool. On the other hand, it has a trillion variants that differ in small but singificant details, so argh.

NGS-4S Nightsky

NGS-4T Nightsky

NGS-5S Nightsky

NGS-5T Nightsky

NGS-6S Nightsky

NGS-6T Nightsky

Deadborder

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Technical Victory!
    • Elmer Studios Blog
« Reply #70 on: 13 August 2015, 08:50:17 »
Quads are allways a challenge, but a double request is a double request, and my code of honour says that I must do it no matter what. And the truth is, this was a rather rewarding draw. Plus the Barghest is a 'Mech I like a lot, which is allways a bonus.

In the end, I wound up doing not one but three "Basic" icons for this 'Mech. That should tell you a lot about how complicated it was to draw.

BGS-1T Barghest

BGS-2T Barghest

BGS-3T Barghest

BGS-4T/4X Barghest

BGS-7S Barghest

Deadborder

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Technical Victory!
    • Elmer Studios Blog
« Reply #71 on: 14 August 2015, 03:53:02 »
The Eyleuka (Known as the Ukulele in my games for various reasons) is pretty high on my "I can't believe that somebody requested this" list. But they did, so here it is. It's a pretty strange 'Mech that could be (politely) described as "a collection of bad design decisions". And two of its variants are prototypes or saw only limited production. So yeah.

Also, it has what one of my friends describes as "fondle arms". There's more then a few 'Mechs with similar features, and they're allways a pain to draw.

EYL-45A Eyleuka

EYL-4A Eyleuka

EYL-35A Eyleuka

EYL-45B Eyleuka

Deadborder

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Technical Victory!
    • Elmer Studios Blog
« Reply #72 on: 14 August 2015, 04:02:47 »
And conversely, here's the Cobra which has only two variants, and they're both close enough to use the same image. So yeah.

CBR-02/03 Cobra

Kojak

• Major
  • Melancon Lives!
« Reply #73 on: 14 August 2015, 04:22:08 »
I believe I requested the Eyleuka, and it looks a damn sight better than the old icon.

"Deep down, I suspect the eject handle on the Hunchback IIC was never actually connected to anything. The regs just say it has to be there."
- Klarg1

Deadborder

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Technical Victory!
    • Elmer Studios Blog
« Reply #74 on: 17 August 2015, 07:33:23 »
Usually when I post these, I do such with a bit of commentary on my creative process. Today I'm going to be a bit different.

I've dedicated this Icon, the Shogun, to a friend of mine. Sean McGerty passed away very suddenly and unexpectedly last Wednesday. He was a member of the Tuesday night Battletech group I play in, and while I'd only known him for a bit over a year, he'd been a really great guy. A long-time player who had recently returned to the game after a decade-plus hiatus, he was very enthusiastic and a fun guy to play with. He was also incredibly helpful, and did a lot for the group like providing lifts from the game or snacks or the like.

He was a great guy, and we will miss him.

SHG-2E/2F Shogun

SHG-2H Shogun

Shogun C

Burning Chrome

• Lieutenant
  • One of the Vocal Minority
« Reply #75 on: 17 August 2015, 15:51:53 »
My condolences for your loss.

"Matchup of the century: desire to play vs. resentment"

TigerShark

• Major
    • MekWars: Dominion
« Reply #76 on: 17 August 2015, 16:46:28 »
That's truly a shame. I'm sure he will be missed...
  W W W . M E K W A R S - D O M I N I O N . C O M

"You will fight to the last soldier, and when you die, I will call upon your damned soul to speak horrible curses at the enemy."
     - Orders of Emperor Stefan Amaris to his troops

Evil Imperial

• Corporal
  • Destroying all who dare to oppose me
« Reply #77 on: 17 August 2015, 22:30:04 »
Can I request the Superheavy vehicles the Gulltoppr and Destrier plus it's Ballista Trailer. [Still waiting on the DIMP VTOL Gunship]

Hopefully someone else will request the remaining super heavies.

How insane are we driving you by now?

Sorry about your loss. Take as much time as you need, we can wait for more icons, and we would understand why.
« Last Edit: 17 August 2015, 22:32:25 by Evil Imperial »
Conjurer (Hellhound) = Wolverine IIC
Proof:
http://web.archive.org/web/20090213010515/http://www.classicbattletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,42093.0/all.html

I mean, you are telling physics to go screw itself with enough power to let you travel faster than light, its going to fight back as best as it can. - VhenRa, on TDS

Louie N

• Lieutenant
« Reply #78 on: 17 August 2015, 23:15:35 »
Sorry for your loss. 

Rebel Yell

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #79 on: 17 August 2015, 23:24:45 »
Good friendship lasts forever, thankfully.
3025-3039 The Glory days of BT. Everything after that can get off my lawn.

Schugger

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #80 on: 18 August 2015, 03:00:55 »
You're only dead if you are forgotten by those who are still alive.
My condolences.
"Shit!"
"What?"
"Clanners!"
"No!"
"Yep."
"Shit!"

Deadborder

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Technical Victory!
    • Elmer Studios Blog
« Reply #81 on: 18 August 2015, 22:31:31 »
I should be talking about the usual run of all the reasons why this icon drove me mad. But today we're going to cover something a little more amusing

Ms Mothrapickles was a Grand Crusader II pilot from one of our Megamek games (One of my friends tends towards... colourful pilot names). He'd decided to run Ms Mothrapickles TSM all the time, even though there usually was little benefit to doing such while suffering the drawbacks associated with the heat. This came to a head when Ms. Mothrapickles suffered an engine hit (from a Plasma rifle no less) which caused her Grand Crusader II to overheat and shut down. Upon shutting down, it then fell on its allready damaged torso and suffered a crit - to the ammunition. Boom.

GRN-D-01 Grand Crusader

GRN-D-02 Grand Crusader

GRN-D-03 Grand Crusader II

GRN-D-04 Grand Crusader II

Deadborder

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Technical Victory!
    • Elmer Studios Blog
« Reply #82 on: 19 August 2015, 03:21:55 »
I have had a lot of requests for 85 ton 'Mechs of late.

At any rate, here's the Blood Kite, which was a real menace to draw. Seriously. A complicated design (to say the least), lack of good pictures... you name it. So yeah. I wept tears of blood doing this one. Which is kinda appropriate.

Blood Kite (Standard)

Blood Kite 2

pheonixstorm

• Major
« Reply #83 on: 19 August 2015, 04:05:48 »
Should the shoulder mounted missile launcher on the shogun be that small? That or they blend in too much.

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #84 on: 19 August 2015, 06:28:38 »
You made the Grand Crusader more viewable than the actual miniature.  thank you Sir!
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants

Deadborder

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Technical Victory!
    • Elmer Studios Blog
« Reply #85 on: 20 August 2015, 05:42:08 »
The Spector's TRO art was so useless that I had to resort not only to the mini as a reference, but the horrible original art of it in the McCarron's Armoured Cavalry scenario pack. Yeah, it's that bad.

Also, what the hell is with one variant breaking the naming scheme? This is why we can't have nice things.

SPR-4F Spector

SPR-5F Spector

SPR-5S Spector

SPR-ST Spector

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #86 on: 20 August 2015, 06:19:41 »
Too bad you can't have one what translucent, to represent the Specter using the Polarization/Chameleon stealth system. 

Deadborder

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Technical Victory!
    • Elmer Studios Blog
« Reply #87 on: 20 August 2015, 08:43:28 »
Too bad you can't have one what translucent, to represent the Specter using the Polarization/Chameleon stealth system.

Oh, if only! I suppose I could try drawing it as just outlines, but that'd look... ugly.
« Last Edit: 20 August 2015, 08:54:29 by Deadborder »

arlith

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Warrant Officer
« Reply #88 on: 20 August 2015, 12:02:05 »

MM already uses a translucent effect to indicate if a unit has been seen by an enemies.
Member of the MegaMek Team.

Deadborder

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Technical Victory!
    • Elmer Studios Blog
« Reply #89 on: 21 August 2015, 03:46:28 »
I hate drawing quads

But I must fulfil all requests.

Here's the Bishamon

Aargh

BSN-3K Bishamon

BSN-4K Bishamon

BSN-5KC Bishamon