Author Topic: Kampfgruppe Steiner Operation: Götterdämmerung or how we survived the Dark Age.  (Read 75610 times)

Col.Hengist

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Konrad ' Hengist " Littman Highlander 732b
Here it is Ladies and Gentlemen. Pull up a seat by the fireplace. The Butler will be around shortly with Cognac and cigars.

Make sure to wear your best Social General uniforms, speak of the important topics of the day ( or past glories ) and tell us who has the best parties.

Remember my Facebook page; Friends of the Lyran Commonwealth also. If you get a chance,stop by there also. We have plenty of parking for every one's Atlii!

#STEINER!!!
« Last Edit: 07 January 2016, 16:36:35 by Col.Hengist »
Lyran Commonwealth,6th Donegal Guards-Nightstar
Marian Hegemony, II Legio-Cataphract
Clan Hell's Horses, Gamma Galaxy-Summoner
Clan Grinch goat- gamma goat.

ANS Kamas P81

• Colonel
Hooray, first reply and first post viewer!  Good title.

Make sure to wear your best Social General uniforms, speak of the important topics of the day ( or past glories ) and tell us who has the best parties.
Don't forget, "please leave your Lyran light 'Mech memes at the door" as well.

First up, what's everyone's favorite timeframe to get their Steiner on in?

Second up, since it's a new thread, a proper rundown of the strategic situation would be very nice. From what little I understand, the Falcons and Wolves both hit Tharkad, the Wolves were victorious but buggered off somewhere else, and Alaric is claiming to be Archon.  Anyone seen (or made) a good 3150 map with just what's LEFT for the Commonwealth?
Der Hölle Rache kocht in meinem Herzen,
Tod und Verzweiflung flammet um mich her!
Fühlt nicht durch dich Jadefalke Todesschmerzen,
So bist du meine Tochter nimmermehr!

Sharpnel

• Colonel
Second poster and TAGged for future artillery strikes.
Consigliere Trygg Bender, CRD-3BL Crusader, The Blazer Mafia
Takehiro 'Taco' Uchimiya, SHD-2H Shadow Hawk 'Taco', Crimson Oasis Trading Company

"Of what use is a dream, if not a blueprint for courageous action" -Adam West
As I get older, I realize that I'm not as good as I once was.
"Life is too short to be living someone else's dream" - Hugh Hefner

Col.Hengist

• Lieutenant Colonel
Yes, please leave the Lyran scout lance of atlaii meme at the door, or orbital insertion etc. They're really played out, about 20 years ago.

Favorite time frame to play Steiner in? Hmmmm, that's a hard one. I love the gritty 3/4 th SW era. We still had good production and lots of territory.

Fall of the SL right after Kerensky left looks appealing to me, but haven't had many games there.

I really like the age of war primitive stuff that we have. The Ymir is a monster and only gets better ( try the X1 in AS play), the Dervish is another as is the funky commando.

Then there's always the civil war, which is always fun. I've had some good games against our Davion Cousins...

I guess, if I had to narrow it down to one it would be 3/4th SW era up to 39. That was a great time.

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • It's just my goth phase
Favorite time to play Steiner?  Tail end of the Clan Invasion era, we had all the cool toys.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

Rainbow 6

• Captain
Favorite time to play Steiner has to be the late 3rd or 4th Succession War although i'm looking forwards to playing in the 1st Succession War as well.

Flieger

• Warrant Officer
    • DoktorWhisky.de
Nice title; good choice!  O0

The spelling is Götterdämmerung, though.  ;)

3028-3045: the military is reformed thanks to Katrina, the equipment is the best there is, the Kell Hounds and the Grey Death, the LCAF freed Rasalhague... so many good things. Some setbacks, too, but overall it is a good time. (Btw., although Davion gets all the praise for the 4th SW, it also gets all the hate).

Second up, since it's a new thread, a proper rundown of the strategic situation would be very nice. From what little I understand, the Falcons and Wolves both hit Tharkad, the Wolves were victorious but buggered off somewhere else, and Alaric is claiming to be Archon.  Anyone seen (or made) a good 3150 map with just what's LEFT for the Commonwealth?

A quick rundown of the events after Tharkad:
3145 - Falcons and Wolves are provoced into fighting each other on Hesperus II, exhaust themselves, and then Operation Jotunheim (led by the 23rd Arcturans) reclaims the planet for the Commonwealth. So far the greatest DA victory.
3146 - Arc-Royal falls to the Falcons, the Kell Hounds are largely destroyed and venture to the Periphery (mission unknown)
3147 - Buena tries to secede; Falcon worlds are attacked by an unknown force
3148 - the Buena secession is crushed (Operation Kingbreaker); Coventry is under Falcon attack, Roderic Steiner meets them with a battlegroup

Note that our information for the events after 3145 is extremely fragmentary so far. No map.

Col.Hengist

• Lieutenant Colonel
Roderick is Adam's Son? Or grandson?

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
Grandson.  He went under the name Robert Frost until the events of Fire At Will because he wanted to earn military positions on his own merit instead of through political connections.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

Rainbow 6

• Captain
Good to know Buena doesn't get away, hopefully we can force the Falcons away from Coventry.

Tai Dai Cultist

• Lieutenant Colonel
3147 - ... Falcon worlds are attacked by an unknown force

I presume this has to be from one of the TRO:3150 entries.  I didn't pick up on this little tidbit... all I can think of is Operation NOYAN but we know that's Hells Horses.  Which entry or entries are you alluding to?

Flieger

• Warrant Officer
    • DoktorWhisky.de
I presume this has to be from one of the TRO:3150 entries.  I didn't pick up on this little tidbit... all I can think of is Operation NOYAN but we know that's Hells Horses.  Which entry or entries are you alluding to?

The/one group attacking the Falcons is called Grave Mold, appearing six months after Arc Royal fell. (see: Di multipurpose VTOL). Also there is an entry regarding the Kelswa Tank about "the same mysterious force which hit several other Falcon worlds in the region". Perhaps there is a relation to the Kell Hounds, which are known to have raided Falcon worlds on their way to the Periphery.

ANS Kamas P81

• Colonel
Considering the founding Kells took a ride around the Periphery with Katrina around 3005-3006 before her big return, I'm wondering if it's not the same thing.  Maybe whoever's running the remains of the Hounds found Morgan's diary or something.  Even if they didn't find any kind of major facilities or stockpiles, clearly they had to have found somewhere comfy to live for a while that could have given the Kell Hounds time to heal up and plan their return.

Damn Kell cockroaches.

So yeah - next question, what's everyone's favorite unit and why?  We all have something we love about our regimental affiliation, so fire up your explanations!  I'll grab the 15th Lyran Regulars, because a backwoods periphery-guard which actually fits the meme of a Lyran Wall Of Steel amused me - and then I found out they actually have a pretty solid record despite being a D-ranked unit even up to the Jihad.  They even survive until 3145, and aren't a big prestige or parade force - just a Regulars regiment doing their hob, saving the day, and being big damn heroes on Melissia.  And yeah, I like big mechs, there's no argument there, I'm just well aware they have their limitations.  So I'll throw my hat in for the Bullyboys.

Terrace

• Lieutenant
N/A
« Reply #13 on: 07 January 2016, 19:12:38 »
I think my favorite is the 3rd Lyran Guards post-Jihad. They've probably got the typical Wall of Steel doctrine going around but with a little bonus that drew me to them. They trained for YEARS to prepare to liberate Tharkad from the Word of Blake, which apparently translated to skill with combat drops. Can you say Assault-grade "Goomba stomp"? From orbit?  ;D

Flieger

• Warrant Officer
    • DoktorWhisky.de
Let's see...

23rd Arcturan Guards

I like cold weather experts and they have a cool name and insignia. Also the long, long history of the brigade and their insistance on keeping old traditions like recruiting from Arcturus appeal to me.

3rd Lyran Guards

I like the fancy tradition of carrying a sword. And the unit's history is remarkable, too. (Yeah, combat drop to liberate Tharkard, indeed!)

10th Skye Rangers

I like those troublesome people. This is a classical love&hate relationship. Even though they rebel every few years, I cannot be mad at them. And they kick ass for the LCAF in case they happen to be loyal for a while.

Col.Hengist

• Lieutenant Colonel
Initially I liked the 10th LG. Yea, the Archons unit.

Then the 6th LG. I liked their history.

Then the 6th Donegal Guards until their destruction and being dispersed into the 7th and 2nd.

Now, it's probably the 2nd Donegal Guards. Caesar Steiner is and always was a bad ass.

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
Saucy Sixth all the way!

Col.Hengist

• Lieutenant Colonel
Looking on Sarna it doesn't say anything about the Grave Mold. Is there anything more about this group or are they kind of like the Green Ghosts?

Deadborder

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Technical Victory!
    • Elmer Studios Blog
Looking on Sarna it doesn't say anything about the Grave Mold. Is there anything more about this group or are they kind of like the Green Ghosts?

More of that they're basically brand new and there's nothing to say about them
Author of BattleCorps stories Grand Theft Agro and Zero Signal

How to Draw MegaMek Icons the Deadborder Way. Over 9000 so far. Determination or madness?

Top Sergeant

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Major
  • Swamp Angels Mercenary Regiment
Re: Kampfgruppe Steiner Operation: Götterdämmerung
« Reply #19 on: 07 January 2016, 22:24:33 »
First Sergeant is here with the Saucy Sixth!  (Remember this old avatar?)
We hear that there are tumults and riots in Rome, and that voices are raised concerning the army and the quality of our soldiers. Make haste to reassure us that you love and support us as we love and support you, for if we find that we have left our bones to bleach in these sands in vain, then beware the fury of the legions.

Flieger

• Warrant Officer
    • DoktorWhisky.de
Caesar Steiner is and always was a bad ass.

Right. He has a long and proud service history, although I think his greatest action was to call a ceasefire during the FCCW and concentrate on defeating the Free Skye Forces. It is a testimony to his leadership that the staunchly loyalist 2nd Donegal followed his bidding, gave up Giausar, and saved Hesperus II for the Alliance. Like Adam Steiner he did what was best for the Lyran state, rather than what is best for the leaders of the Lyran state. He is probably the greatest General of the LCAF/LAAF in the 31st century (with all due respect to Adam).

Anyway, what is the appeal of the 6th Lyran Guards?

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
They were a totally badass unit that was very effective in Clanbusting actions.

Also, their unit insignia.

Col.Hengist

• Lieutenant Colonel
The 6th have an interesting history...

So many people like to mock the cartoon and everything in it. It is what it is, and if it helped bring people in to the game, awesome.

Be that as it may... Adam is a great general and one hell of a Mech pilot. As Archon I think he did his best with what was given him.

Besides, we all know who the greatest General of all is... THOMAS HOGARTH!!!

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
Blah.

Hogarth jokes are as stale as Lyran Scout Mech jokes are.

Top Sergeant

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Major
  • Swamp Angels Mercenary Regiment
Re: Kampfgruppe Steiner Operation: Götterdämmerung
« Reply #24 on: 08 January 2016, 06:35:43 »
Anyway, what is the appeal of the 6th Lyran Guards?

They also get a D6 worth of edge points every game.  8)
We hear that there are tumults and riots in Rome, and that voices are raised concerning the army and the quality of our soldiers. Make haste to reassure us that you love and support us as we love and support you, for if we find that we have left our bones to bleach in these sands in vain, then beware the fury of the legions.

False Son

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Kot Blini

Dark Age, of course.  The battle armor choices are just too tempting.  The mechs and tanks... meh, but the battle armor... much awesome.  I could even go 3080s or 3090s.  Having the Thunderfox L8 helps sell any era to me.

FCCW is kind of fun, too simply because of the overt "Lyranism" of the time.  LAAF big guns vs AFFC RACs is entertaining all these years later.

Favorite unit.... hmmmm.  Might be the Skye Jaegers.  Their split loyalties make them interesting to me.  Besides, the Jaegers are a fun brigade.

TOYNBEE IDEA
IN MOViE `2001
RESURRECT DEAD
ON PLANET JUPITER

Destroy what destroys you

Nerroth

• Captain
Two questions, if I may:

1) Now that Empires Aflame has been out for over a year, has there been any further reflection among Steiner fans on what to make of the various options which seem to be on the table for the EA Commonwealth as of alt-3095?

2) Are the BT Lyrans pronounced as "Lear-uhns" (akin to the Star Fleet Universe Lyrans), or as "Lie-runs"?

Col.Hengist

• Lieutenant Colonel
Leer-an

As far as empies a flame...never read it.

Rainbow 6

• Captain
10th Lyran Regulars for me, love the name and story behind the unit and the fact they have always tried to do what is best for the nation over any particular faction.

They had a good combat record as well, until there destruction on Tharkad fighting the clans.

Hopefully they'll be back soon.

ANS Kamas P81

• Colonel
I like the ease of consideration of the 3rd/4th Succession War, though for some real battles nothing says Hello Tharkad like the Clan invasion.  That said, I'm liking the 15th Regulars even more, after reading up on their amusing acquisition in FM 3145.  I think I'll roll with the AHRG as my own pet company...now to decide what to fit them out with.  A KGC-0000 of course, just because I love King Crabs, but what else to roll with?

Register