Author Topic: Warships in the work - Commissions by PLOG.  (Read 114874 times)

Easy

• Warrant Officer
Re: Warships in the work - Commissions by PLOG.
« Reply #570 on: 19 September 2017, 11:25:17 »
Hm. Fighter bay doors that make an ASF or Small Craft have to maneuver through or around laterally oriented broadside guns are no answer, I'd think.

I figure you want to minimize the amount of risk a damaged or rapidly maneuvering craft has of striking the ship. That image makes it look pretty risky, even considering the scale. In game terms, I'd want to reduce every chance that a failed piloting roll will result in a collision.

The way to do that seems to be to point the bay outwards of the hull, or use wing pods like Battlestar Galactica. Or maybe an aircraft carrier style flat deck where you can do maneuvering parallel to the orientation of the ship but have minimal obstruction.

That's very good looking art, though. I think there has to be room for a ship's aesthetic.
« Last Edit: 19 September 2017, 12:01:11 by Easy »

marauder648

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • Project Zhukov Fan AU TRO's and PDFs
« Reply #571 on: 22 September 2017, 15:04:20 »

Thresher Class Heavy Cruiser

Length – 767 Meters
Displacement – 760,000 tons
Crew Complement – 343

Designed during the reign of Gregory Amaris, all-be-it in secret, the design was meant to equal any Hegemony cruiser in existence and during that period, it meant the Aegis class cruiser as well as the common and popular Dart class light cruiser.  But to appear compliant with the Star League’s wishes and not wanting to provoke them during the aftermath of the Reunification War the cruiser was never laid down and instead the design languished until Stefan Amaris came to power.

Laid down in the yards that had once produced the Pinto class corvette the Thresher design was altered quite radically.  In addition to Mech scale weapons being added for anti-fighter defences, the Cruisers armament was completely revised.  Unlike the Republic during the period leading up to the Reunification War, the Rim Worlds Republic now lacked the capacity to build the large number of focusing arrays and lenses needed for the original planned armament of large numbers of naval lasers.  Instead these were replaced with a greater number of hard hitting naval autocannons.  Cheaper to produce and easier to maintain, the autocannons were a natural fit. 
Long range firepower was provided by sixteen Killer Whale missiles, eight on each broadside and these missiles were often armed with nuclear warheads, making a barrage from a Thresher a threat to any vessel or station. 

The Olympus MG-2000 engines were bulky but powerful units, and could propel the Thresher in short sprints of up to 2.5g making them faster than the Aegis the ship was meant to equal.  Unfortunately, these engines were also exceptionally maintenance intensive and consumed fuel at a far higher rate than was expected.  The fuel tanks for the Thresher were also poorly placed making refuelling them a slow and drawn out process.
Like the Aegis class the Thresher had four dropship collars and berths for eighteen fighters as well as half a dozen small craft.
The hangers were placed well towards the stern of the ship, adjoining the engine section but this also made the Threshers exceptionally difficult to land fighters on.  Standard procedure was to bring the cruiser to a complete stop and let craft coming in to land come in backwards onto their waiting launch racks.
This was far from ideal and could not be done in combat and incidences of aerospace fighters crashing or suffering damage on landing were uncommonly high on the Thresher class.  The Threshers usually carried a full group of Vulcan fighters and this had its own problems.  The large amount of ammunition needed to ‘bomb up’ the Vulcan’s was stored in an armoured magazine near the hangar decks, which in turn was adjacent to one of the poorly placed fuel tanks for the thirsty engines and the area around the hangar magazines became a primary target and weak-point for the class.

Over a thousand tons of Ferro-Carbide armour gave the Threshers a sturdy hide equal to many SLDF Battlecruiser designs whilst heavy structural bracing made the hull capable of taking heavy damage, but also limited the grav-decks size and cargo capacity.  But this was not seen as a negative.  The Thresher was ostensibly designed to patrol and protect the Rim Worlds Republic and there was no need for a large cargo capacity for long range missions.  With the growing friendship between Stefan Amaris and First Lord Richard Cameron expanded and the ‘country bumpkin’ from the Periphery got more power and influence within the Terran Hegemony, Amaris used this to allow for a sub-class of the Thresher to be constructed.
With access to the vast industrial strength of the Hegemony and Corporate and Political leaders despairing of the mismanagement by Lord Richard, Amaris called in favours with Krupp’s to allow the purchase, at cost, of enough lasers to arm six Thresher class ships under construction with  enough lasers to complete the class as was originally designed.  Labelled the Tiger Shark class Battlecruiser they were seen as command ships, and until the completion of the first Stefan Amaris class battleships, these ships were the pride and joy of the Rim Worlds Navy, acting as flagships despite the addition of several old Monsoon class ships from the Hegemony reserves, courtesy of the First Lord.

Twenty Threshers and four Tiger Sharks were complete by the start of the coup, the two part finished Tiger Shark’s formed part of the orbital defences around Apollo whilst the Threshers helped secure the Hegemony during the coup.  The battles for the Sol System were hard on the class, and four Threshers and one Tiger Shark were destroyed in the space battles for the Hegemony. 
One ship the RWS Perdition’s Flame was captured by the SLDF during the drive on Terra and the ship was repaired and took part in the final battles for the Hegemony, being lost to a nuclear missile strike in the battles over New Earth.  The last ship of the class the Tiger Shark RWS Stefan’s Audacity was in orbit over Terra herself and was thought to be a possible evacuation craft for ‘Emperor’ Amaris, her engines crippled the ship fell into the atmosphere and partially burned up, the ruined hulk splashing down in the Indian Ocean. 

Weapons

24 x Republic Type 42 ‘Thunder’ Medium Naval autocannons
12 x Republic Type 34 ‘Tremor’ Medium Naval Autocannons
16 x RAW-411 ‘Blue Streak’ Killer Whale heavy naval missile launch systems
8 x RAW-250 ‘Swingfire’ Barracuda interceptor naval missile launch systems
6 x Krupp’s Weapon Works Pattern 311 45cm Naval Lasers
32 x RAW ‘Starstreak’ Type 4a LRM-20 missile launch systems
16 x Stolz Harbinger 4a Particle Cannons
32 x Firefly Type 1a Small lasers

Sensors

Roe Systems MG-29-A Long range active and passive Radar/LIDAR array
Roe Systems HX671 Primary fire control systems with TW-100e ‘Bull Snort’ ECCM
Roe Systems Tangerine-004A Long and short range communications array
TW-801a ‘Bull Roar’ Active multi-frequency ECM.

Aerospace Complement.

18 x Fighters
6 x Small Craft
4 x DropShip docking collars.

« Last Edit: 22 September 2017, 23:29:52 by marauder648 »
Ghost Bears: Cute and cuddly. Until you remember its a BLOODY BEAR!

Project Zhukov Fan AU TRO's and PDFs - https://thezhukovau.wordpress.com/

Maingunnery

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Pirates and C3 masters are on the hitlist
« Reply #572 on: 22 September 2017, 15:10:42 »

Great fluff  8)
Herb: "Well, now I guess we'll HAVE to print it. Sounds almost like the apocalypse I've been working for...."

The Society:Fan XTRO & Field Manual
Nebula California: HyperTube Xtreme
Nebula Confederation Ships

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #573 on: 22 September 2017, 20:51:17 »
That's awesome cruiser!
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

marauder648

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #574 on: 24 September 2017, 01:11:04 »

marauder648

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #575 on: 13 July 2018, 14:06:24 »
Unidentified units sighted

Mr Plog's not quite finished these, should be done soon!

Maingunnery

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Pirates and C3 masters are on the hitlist
« Reply #576 on: 13 July 2018, 14:14:58 »

WOW, those look amazing.  :thumbsup:

thanks for sharing these.
Herb: "Well, now I guess we'll HAVE to print it. Sounds almost like the apocalypse I've been working for...."

The Society:Fan XTRO & Field Manual
Nebula California: HyperTube Xtreme
Nebula Confederation Ships

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #577 on: 13 July 2018, 14:54:21 »
Very nice!  I can't wait to see them finished...  :thumbsup:

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #578 on: 13 July 2018, 17:21:41 »
Wow!
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants

marauder648

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #579 on: 14 July 2018, 03:07:24 »
I'm glad ya folks like the look of them.  The Roc is influenced by the UK's Victor bomber (the cranked wings and large cockpit area) whilst the Horus is based on the SU-47 although this one has an aerospike style engine instead of traditional engine exhausts as seen on ASF/jets.

Dragon Cat

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Not Dead Until I Say So
« Reply #580 on: 14 July 2018, 16:20:58 »
I like the fighters
My three main Alternate Timeline with Thanks fan-fiction threads are in the links below. I'm always open to suggestions or additions to be incorporated so if you feel you wish to add something feel free. There's non-canon units, equipment, people, events, erm... Solar Systems spread throughout so please enjoy

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,20515.0.html - Part 1

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,52013.0.html - Part 2

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,79196.0.html - Part 3

AngryButler with a KNIFE!

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #581 on: 14 July 2018, 23:40:23 »
Going off your build sheet in the other thread, where's the Horus' aft firing medium laser?
I love my Wiesel XII. Yes, yes I do.

marauder648

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #582 on: 15 July 2018, 01:56:39 »
Good question, I would guess mounted on the belly, nowhere near the engine, maybe a drop down semi-gimballed mounting.

marauder648

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #583 on: 15 July 2018, 15:53:54 »

Based in part on the Soviet/Russian SU-47 prototype but made more futuristic and spacey with its rocket spike engine and changed hull, Plog nailed it once again!

Stats here - https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=62097.msg1429342#msg1429342

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #584 on: 15 July 2018, 16:39:40 »
As much as I dislike the clans in general, THAT is a thing of beauty!  :thumbsup:

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #585 on: 15 July 2018, 16:49:17 »
Really swanky Omnifighter.  I like the reverse wing setup, reminds me of the Stingray.

Takiro

• Lieutenant
  • BattleTech: Salient Horizon
    • Your BattleTech
« Reply #586 on: 15 July 2018, 19:49:54 »
Wow, good call Wrangler it does resemble the Stingray.

marauder648

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #587 on: 15 July 2018, 21:19:05 »
Wow, good call Wrangler it does resemble the Stingray.

Its based on this

the SU-47

the Stingray is one of these

The X-29 but with a fusion torch and energy weapons :)  I'm really glad you folks like her :)

marauder648

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #588 on: 17 July 2018, 00:21:46 »
Based in part on the RAF's Victor bomber from the 50's and 60's due to my like of its cranked wings and general layout

The Roc class assault DropShip  developed by Clan Snow Raven and traded to the Invading Clans prior to Operation REVIVAL is a fast, well armed design.

Drawn by the amazing Matt Plog you can find her stats here

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=61213.msg1403734

As always, thoughts  and comments are most welcome.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #589 on: 17 July 2018, 03:43:31 »
Amazing is the right word!  :thumbsup:

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #590 on: 17 July 2018, 06:20:58 »
Holy mackerel! That's one best images I've seen yet.  Thank you for having it commissioned!

marauder648

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #591 on: 19 July 2018, 07:20:37 »
I'm glad you folks approve :D  I've got ideas for future ones too.

I am Belch II

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • It's a gator with a nuke, whats the problem.
« Reply #592 on: 12 August 2018, 11:33:50 »
Love your work!
Walking the fine line between sarcasm and being a smart-ass

Register