Author Topic: NHL 2016-2017 Thread  (Read 61971 times)

Fat Guy

• Major
  • I make beer disappear. What's your superpower?
Re: NHL 2016-2017 Thread
« Reply #420 on: 11 May 2017, 10:45:14 »
I have spoken.

JadeHellbringer

• Easily Bribed Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Colonel
  • Third time this week!
« Reply #421 on: 12 May 2017, 10:29:12 »
"There's a difference between the soldier and his fight,
But the warrior knows the true meaning of his life."
+Larry and his Flask, 'Blood Drunk'+

"You know, basically war is just, like, a bunch of people playing pranks on each other, but at the end they all die."
+Crow T. Robot+

Sharpnel

• Colonel
« Reply #422 on: 12 May 2017, 11:13:35 »
One thing, I don't think Ovie will be wearing a Caps jersey next season. Trade him and get some salary relief and perhaps a new attitude for the team.
Consigliere Trygg Bender, CRD-3BL Crusader, The Blazer Mafia
Takehiro 'Taco' Uchimiya, SHD-2H Shadow Hawk 'Taco', Crimson Oasis Trading Company

"Of what use is a dream, if not a blueprint for courageous action" -Adam West
As I get older, I realize that I'm not as good as I once was.
"Life is too short to be living someone else's dream" - Hugh Hefner

JadeHellbringer

• Administrator
  • Colonel
  • Third time this week!
« Reply #423 on: 12 May 2017, 14:01:25 »
One thing, I don't think Ovie will be wearing a Caps jersey next season. Trade him and get some salary relief and perhaps a new attitude for the team.

Except... how? Who's going to take on that gigantic contract for a guy on the wrong side of 30 who has a well-established penchant for fading in the playoffs (deserved or not)? And what return value would you get that would be worth it?

"You know, basically war is just, like, a bunch of people playing pranks on each other, but at the end they all die."
+Crow T. Robot+

Peter Smith

• LBI Shareholder
  • Captain
« Reply #424 on: 12 May 2017, 14:23:47 »
Who's going to take on that gigantic contract for a guy on the wrong side of 30 who has a well-established penchant for fading in the playoffs (deserved or not)?

Arizona. If they'll take on LTIR contracts to get to the salary floor, they could be willing to pick up Ovi.

And what return value would you get that would be worth it?

$9.5m in cap relief until 2021-22. That's before you talk about whatever Arizona would send back.
Power corrupts. Absolute power is kinda neat.

"Now I've got the image of a Haywire pod that's broadcasting "stop hitting yourself" over and over." MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

Firesprocket

• Captain
  • 3601 S Broad St. Phila. PA 19148
« Reply #425 on: 13 May 2017, 00:19:04 »
I'm just saying here, if the Pens hadn't had 1,235,684 man-games lost due to injury, the President's Trophy would not be with the Caps this year.

Decimated, the Pens ended up less than 10 points behind Washington and still one of the top 3 teams in the league.

Just saying.
I'm also pretty certain the Pens weren't sacked by injuries all season long.  I mean they could have beaten any combination of LA (either time), BUF, Islanders, Minnesota, Rangers, Columbus, or hell even Washington by January and finished ahead of the Caps.  What I'm saying here is I'm really not certain what you are saying.  So I will just chalk it up sandbagging the warm bodies of the Caps in a very shallow grave because they clearly aren't the better team in the playoffs but were in the regular season  ::).

I'm eager to see the injury lists for the Caps. I'm guessing Ovi was hurt that affected his shooting.

That much is true:

https://sports.yahoo.com/news/alex-ovechkin-reveals-injuries-slowed-vs-penguins-153156945.html

Honestly I was surprised to see that he reentered the game later on.  I've never had a serious knee or leg injury so I have no experience in what he went through.  But I'm surprised he wasn't out for a game or more after that hit.

So regarding the guide above, I take it in stride.  No more or less than any Blues or San Jose fan does.  But I feel just a quick need to address these items.

1) I'm a fan of Washington sports teams and by the fact of my age at least one team from Baltimore.  I don't have a great passion for football and I don't watch basket ball, but I will at least check in on the score and hope the locals did well.  I grew up playing and watching baseball until my vision went to pot.  I picked up a love of hockey midway through high school from pick up street games that some dude from hosted them after classes.  I didn't attend my first game until 1992 or 1993.  Had I known I wasn't going to see a meaningful game with a positive outcome since 1983 perhaps I would have done something else meaningful with the spare time of my life.

The point of the matter is that except for one team everyone else has to go through that same damn depression each year.  I've got it down to a 2 to 3 day mourning period.  Anyone can call it pessimistic or realistic, I don't care, never will.  So anyone can post their memes it just doesn't matter to me. I'll root for my teams next season and be happy enough to call any dumb **** who burned burned their Ovechkin jersey in some angst a few choice and colorful words.  Because really if you can't handle a loss, don't watch sports!  Especially not one that plays in Washington!

2) team signs new players- hot damn everyone does this!  If not for bettering themselves for warm bodies for rebuilding (hi Vancouver!).

3) peak in December or January- not this year apparently as they had to chase down the overachieving CBJ.

4) sign depth defenseman- that is kinda what one does when you have a reasonably good defense or get buried in injuries like any team, yes.

5) remember this is our year- Please refer to your guide to being a fan of any team in the Red Plight District (Washington DC).  Until the clock reads 0 or the final pitch is thrown and you have the lead, shelve this whole idea.  Lock it away in a cage in the back of your mind and open it up when we win.  It makes for a much smaller recovery cycle.

6) End the season with President's cup- well, you know, Pittsburgh, if you stopped losing to crummy teams in the regular season everyone would pick you to win and you'd have the blessing/curse of a meaningless cup.  Because, you know, the fact you won last year and had a stellar season is no reason for professional pundits to pick you to win this year's Stanley Cup.

7) Take longer to win in the first round- Can't really disagree with that.

8) get eliminated by a lower seed- kinda of happens, yes when you are better in the regular season than everyone else.  Matters very little to me when the main reason is almost always the same reason(s) from year to year.

https://sports.vice.com/en_us/article/washington-capitals-fans-dont-deserve-this-much-agony

Leaving this here, because wow.
I generally am entertained by Dave Lozo.  I will be happy to share a pint with him should I ever meet him.  I shall toast with him and in that moment, while he is caught off guard, I shall smash it upon his noggin.

A few things.  Arguing the semantics of he is a bad captain are somewhat pointless at this point.  If they believe he is ineffective or it is distracted, give someone else the C.  Getting anything near fair value for him is next to impossible.  He also has some control over where he would go.

Except... how? Who's going to take on that gigantic contract for a guy on the wrong side of 30 who has a well-established penchant for fading in the playoffs (deserved or not)? And what return value would you get that would be worth it?
Arizona. If they'll take on LTIR contracts to get to the salary floor, they could be willing to pick up Ovi.

$9.5m in cap relief until 2021-22. That's before you talk about whatever Arizona would send back.
Wrong side of 30, yes.  Fading in the playoffs, I'd have to disagree.  While his stock trended downward because of a less than Ovi's standard off season, he still has 46 goals and 90 points in 97 playoff games.  The return would be Jagr like underwhelming.  As for going to Arizona, Ovi's list probably would block that and Arizona would extort picks or prospects.  The Caps are running out of picks to give and prospects are exactly what they are going to need to fill the player gaps between the expansion draft and free agency.

gyedid

• Captain
  • Always brighter on the other side of the mirror.
« Reply #426 on: 13 May 2017, 22:33:34 »
Well...

This could actually be a series between the Pens and Sens.

Too early to start saying "upset"?

Cheers, Gabe
So, now I'm imagining people boxing up Overlords for loading as cargo.  "Nope, totally not a DropShip.  Everyone knows you can't fit a DropShip in a WarShip!  It's...a ten thousand ton box of marshmallows!  Yeah.  For the Heavy Guards big annual smores party."
--Arkansas Warrior, on the possibility of carrying Dropships as cargo in Warship cargo bays.

TERRAN SUPREMACY DEFENSE FORCE.  For when you want to send the SLDF, but couldn't afford the whole kit and kaboodle.

Firesprocket

• Captain
« Reply #427 on: 14 May 2017, 00:32:26 »
1-3-1 vs 1-2-2.  It should be a knock down, drag out affair ::).  I'm pulling for a Sens vs Preds final.  It will, of course, tank the TV ratings which won't help anyone.  But there is a feel good of Craig Anderson making a run at the Stanley Cup after the adversity of dealing with medical situation of his wife this season.  And then there is the Nashville Predators which have one of the best d corps and top line talents in the game for a team that has been building to a top contender of the past few seasons.  I've honestly only had the opportunity to watch them twice this season, but they are wondful team to watch.  I really need another kick in the crotch during the playoffs.  Nothing would be finer than watching Forsberg win a cup before the Caps.

JadeHellbringer

• Administrator
  • Colonel
  • Third time this week!
« Reply #428 on: 15 May 2017, 10:25:42 »
Nothing would be finer than watching Forsberg win a cup before the Caps.

"I wish George McPhee was alive to see this."

"I'm fine actually, I'm the GM in Las Vegas now, and we have a lot of plans for the expa-"

"I SAID I WISH GEORGE McPHEE WAS ALIVE TO SEE THIS."

+Crow T. Robot+

cavingjan

• Spelunca Custos
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
    • warrenborn
« Reply #429 on: 15 May 2017, 16:34:19 »
I'm okay with that. I couldn't image how stunted his learning would have been under Oates.

Firesprocket

• Captain
« Reply #430 on: 15 May 2017, 19:49:32 »
"I wish George McPhee was alive to see this."

"I'm fine actually, I'm the GM in Las Vegas now, and we have a lot of plans for the expa-"

"I SAID I WISH GEORGE McPHEE WAS ALIVE TO SEE THIS."

Bravo, that made my day.

I'm okay with that. I couldn't image how stunted his learning would have been under Oates.
Seems suited to running the power play and/or starting a small cult following.

Fat Guy

• Major
  • I make beer disappear. What's your superpower?
« Reply #431 on: 15 May 2017, 22:23:31 »
Good Lord, the conference finals are turning out to be some very entertaining hockey!
I have spoken.

gyedid

• Captain
« Reply #432 on: 18 May 2017, 01:02:06 »
Looks like we really have ourselves a series between Ottawa and Pittsburgh.  Could this be the first time in a long time that the Pens defeated the Caps, but actually fail to advance to the Cup final?

cheers,

Gabe
So, now I'm imagining people boxing up Overlords for loading as cargo.  "Nope, totally not a DropShip.  Everyone knows you can't fit a DropShip in a WarShip!  It's...a ten thousand ton box of marshmallows!  Yeah.  For the Heavy Guards big annual smores party."
--Arkansas Warrior, on the possibility of carrying Dropships as cargo in Warship cargo bays.

TERRAN SUPREMACY DEFENSE FORCE.  For when you want to send the SLDF, but couldn't afford the whole kit and kaboodle.

GhostBear

• Minister of Assimilation, TOG Empire
  • Captain
  • And....out.
    • One world at a time...
« Reply #433 on: 18 May 2017, 07:27:32 »
Looks like we really have ourselves a series between Ottawa and Pittsburgh.  Could this be the first time in a long time that the Pens defeated the Caps, but actually fail to advance to the Cup final?

cheers,

Gabe

Possibly. It's only Game 3 though, and it's only 2-1 OTT.

Regardless, I'm okay if the Pens bow out in the ECF. I'd rather them fail to reach the Finals than lose IN the Finals (or lose to the Caps). The injury train is just awful this year, and I'm super-impressed they've done so well in spite of it.
« Last Edit: 18 May 2017, 07:30:09 by GhostBear »
Eh.

CrossfirePilot

• Captain
« Reply #434 on: 18 May 2017, 20:39:58 »

Firesprocket

• Captain
« Reply #435 on: 22 May 2017, 22:13:59 »
Preds win and do so in a non Predator's fashion giving up 41 shots and put less than 20 shots on net.  Now they sit for a bit and wait for the Sens and Pens to wrap up their series.

gyedid

• Captain
« Reply #436 on: 23 May 2017, 01:40:13 »
Preds win and do so in a non Predator's fashion giving up 41 shots and put less than 20 shots on net.  Now they sit for a bit and wait for the Sens and Pens to wrap up their series.

Fewer than 20 shots, yes, but six of theirs went in, and only three did for the Ducks...

Many of us in Habs land, still stewing from the first-round elimination, are on the Preds bandwagon...just so P.K. could bring the Cup to Montreal and shove it in Marc Bergevin's face.

EDIT:  ah, Jonathan Bernier.  The Ducks' loss explained right there.  >:D

cheers,

Gabe
« Last Edit: 23 May 2017, 02:13:55 by gyedid »

Sharpnel

• Colonel
« Reply #437 on: 23 May 2017, 06:09:37 »
And two of the Preds goals were empty netters, which doesn't make Bernier SO bad
Takehiro 'Taco' Uchimiya, SHD-2H Shadow Hawk 'Taco', Crimson Oasis Trading Company

JadeHellbringer

• Administrator
  • Colonel
  • Third time this week!
« Reply #438 on: 23 May 2017, 10:05:28 »
Habs fans: "Watching Subban in the Cup finals is going to be so painful!"

Caps fans: "Hold my beer."

+Crow T. Robot+

Firesprocket

• Captain
« Reply #439 on: 23 May 2017, 21:51:01 »
EDIT:  ah, Jonathan Bernier.  The Ducks' loss explained right there.  >:D
Bernier actually had a very good season and was a very good reason why the Ducks managed to win the Pacific when Gibson got hurt earlier this season.  I listened to the game live and just now watched the highlight package of the game.  The game was tied until there were 6 minutes left in the game.  I'd say only one of those 4 goals he let in could he possibly have stopped.  Anaheim simply gave Nashville to much time and space to play with on those goals.  The Ducks had a pretty high amount of shots in and around the crease and toward the center of the ice.  8 out of 10 games any team wins the game the Ducks played against the Preds last night.  Rinne's has had a stellar playoff and will likely be the Conn Smythe if the Preds take home the cup.

Habs fans: "Watching Subban in the Cup finals is going to be so painful!"

Caps fans: "Hold my beer."

2018-19 the Maple Leafs sign Carey Price.  The city of Montreal is burned to the ground as a mob tears Marc Bergevin limb from limb.

Firesprocket

• Captain
« Reply #440 on: 23 May 2017, 21:58:22 »
https://twitter.com/dalter/status/867201252127645696

Av's have reportedly received permission to speak to Kyle Dubas.  First thing in months that the Avs have appeared to do that isn't insanely bad.

JadeHellbringer

• Administrator
  • Colonel
  • Third time this week!
« Reply #441 on: 24 May 2017, 11:19:36 »
https://twitter.com/dalter/status/867201252127645696

Av's have reportedly received permission to speak to Kyle Dubas.  First thing in months that the Avs have appeared to do that isn't insanely bad.

Give it time, they'll find a way to hose this up.

+Crow T. Robot+

Sharpnel

• Colonel
« Reply #442 on: 24 May 2017, 12:25:01 »
The best move the Avs can make is that Kroenke puts them up for sale and that the new owner actually cares about hockey and winning the Cup

JadeHellbringer

• Administrator
  • Colonel
  • Third time this week!
« Reply #443 on: 24 May 2017, 13:17:19 »
The best move the Avs can make is that Kroenke puts them up for sale and that the new owner actually cares about hockey and winning the Cup

That's less of a 'best move' and more of a 'fervent prayer'.

It's also not going to happen as long as they can make a buck off the team.  :-[

+Crow T. Robot+

Sharpnel

• Colonel
« Reply #444 on: 24 May 2017, 15:06:54 »
He's making more money off the Nuggets.

Kit deSummersville

• Precentor of Lies
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • The epicness continues!
    • Insights and Complaints on Twitter
« Reply #445 on: 24 May 2017, 15:12:45 »
And even more off the Rams.
Looking for an official answer? Check the Catalyst Interaction Forums.

Freelancer for hire, not an official CGL or IMR representative.

Everyone else's job is easy, so tell them how to do it, everyone loves that!

Millard Fillmore's favorite BattleTech writer.

Sharpnel

• Colonel
« Reply #446 on: 24 May 2017, 15:22:12 »
That's Stan Kroenke. The wife 'owns' the Avs/Nuggets, as head of the Family Trust. Stan Kroenke has to surrender ownership in order to purchase the Rams due to its cross-ownership rules.

JadeHellbringer

• Administrator
  • Colonel
  • Third time this week!
« Reply #447 on: 24 May 2017, 15:26:06 »
That's Stan Kroenke. The wife 'owns' the Avs/Nuggets, as head of the Family Trust. Stan Kroenke has to surrender ownership in order to purchase the Rams due to its cross-ownership rules.

Which is still just... ugh. I'll spare another Kroenke rant, but three fan bases deserve a hell of a lot better than to have this family in charge of their team of choice.

+Crow T. Robot+

Sharpnel

• Colonel
« Reply #448 on: 24 May 2017, 15:31:53 »
Agreed. Four, if you are English and an Arsenal fan. Admittedly, his lesser Colorado teams (rapids, Mammoth) are a bit more successful

Firesprocket

• Captain
« Reply #449 on: 26 May 2017, 22:28:29 »
It looks like Toronto changed its mind and won't be giving permission.

So here we are down the final two teams Pittsburgh vs. Nashville.  I don't think you can pick either team and feel like you picked poorly.  I am going to go with Nashville in 7.  I think the defensive depth and the ability of Nashville to get the puck deep and low in the zone consistently keeps the Pens from repeating.